What was most impressive to you of tonights performances: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What was most impressive to you of tonights performances:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boreifs, if you were Megan Walker you would do as she does not what Boreifs thinks she should do. I never understood the "if I were" statements.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not impressive. but Natalie Butler still shows that she can't dominate players that she should be. Have to wonder how she was Freshmen of the Year for the Big East. SMH

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Most impressed with the 3 freshmen. These girls can flat out play.

Molly Bent - at one point in the first half, made that foul line pull up jumper and hit nothing but net - just like a #10 before her. Bent also showed good defense and court awareness. She is going to get minutes.

Kyla Irwin - at 6' 2' has some serious game. Handles the ball well, can dribble drive. Good hands and upper body strength. She knows how to position her body and defense and how to block out under the boards. Nice footwork around the basket. She's going to be needed this season.

Crystal Dangerfield - a little dynamo under control. Why she was the last of the frosh in the game, who knows. But she showed she can pass the rock with skill. Very good court awarness.

Good to see that Pheesa is fully recovered. She looked very good. Gabby was going crazy out there. SHe is going to be a nightmare for a lot of teams this year. Too athletic and to quick for most defenders to handle. Lou - once she got going looked smooth and comfortable in her new role. Kia - nice and steady and that's important. Sinaya - looked good. Natalie - I just don't know. At times she looks like what we need and other times she looks out of sync.

Its going to be a fun and exciting year.

Reaction Score
$
I love this pic...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed in this game re Natalie, is the team as in the past is not very good at entry passing to a post and has an annoying habit of rotating the ball to the wing on the side where the post player has just vacated to reposition on the opposite block. Happened with whoever was posting in the low block numerous times.

Reaction Score
Most impressed with the 3 freshmen. These girls can flat out play.

Molly Bent - at one point in the first half, made that foul line pull up jumper and hit nothing but net - just like a #10 before her. Bent also showed good defense and court awareness. She is going to get minutes.

Kyla Irwin - at 6' 2' has some serious game. Handles the ball well, can dribble drive. Good hands and upper body strength. She knows how to position her body and defense and how to block out under the boards. Nice footwork around the basket. She's going to be needed this season.

Crystal Dangerfield - a little dynamo under control. Why she was the last of the frosh in the game, who knows. But she showed she can pass the rock with skill. Very good court awarness.

Good to see that Pheesa is fully recovered. She looked very good. Gabby was going crazy out there. SHe is going to be a nightmare for a lot of teams this year. Too athletic and to quick for most defenders to handle. Lou - once she got going looked smooth and comfortable in her new role. Kia - nice and steady and that's important. Sinaya - looked good. Natalie - I just don't know. At times she looks like what we need and other times she looks out of sync.

Its going to be a fun and exciting year.
Didn't see the game but your analysis seems to agree with my initial impressions of some of these players. Regarding Dangerfield, after seeing some of her HS videos I believe her defense might be the thing that would hold her back a bit. I think she has a habit of turning and following her "man" and not being ball-aware which, as we know, won't work for Auriemma and this level. I'll be interested to see how she's developing once the real games start. And after seeing her first HS video I really like Bent.

Reaction Score
1. Gabby. If Geno let her played 40 mins she will have 50 pts.
2. Kyla,. She doesn't look like a freshman.

That's what I got from the post game presser. Gabby's nickname of "Gabulous" is not for nothing. Kyla impressed also. This season could be a fun ride.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Didn't see the game but your analysis seems to agree with my initial impressions of some of these players. Regarding Dangerfield, after seeing some of her HS videos I believe her defense might be the thing that would hold her back a bit. I think she has a habit of turning and following her "man" and not being ball-aware which, as we know, won't work for Auriemma and this level. I'll be interested to see how she's developing once the real games start. And after seeing her first HS video I really like Bent.

There were a couple of plays with Bent that reminded me of another #10 - Sue Bird. One was that pull up jumper at the free throw line.

A tandem of Dangerfield and Bent is going to a big worry for opponents down the line.

Reaction Score
The reason so many of us are warning not to be too enthusiastic with what we saw last night is BECAUSE we ARE so enthusiastic. Don't know about you, but I saw a TEAM on the court, not a bunch of soloists not knowing what to do. This includes the frosh, who were very good in different ways. If this is the base from which this team grows, it will only get better and better.

Reaction Score
Anyone knows if the replay game is available? Thanks.

Reaction Score

Yes. You can watch it on College Sports Live at the uconnhuskies.com Web site. I don't know if they'll expect you to join, but it's worth a shot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes. You can watch it on College Sports Live at the uconnhuskies.com Web site. I don't know if they'll expect you to join, but it's worth a shot.
At least for live games, it's $9.95 per month.

Reaction Score
"... as an aside, if I were Megan Walker, I would really have to think about coming to UConn. Their best players play the two and three (Nurse, Samuelson, Williams, Collier) and there will be virtually no quality time open for a Freshman next season, even the Number one rated player."

Wazzamaatta yooo? I am not a violent sort, but this statement made me throw a tic tac at my ipad. Boo hiss!
Nonsense, she's not coming here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just as an aside, if I were Megan Walker, I would really have to think about coming to UConn. Their best players play the two and three (Nurse, Samuelson, Williams, Collier) and there will be virtually no quality time open for a Freshman next season, even the Number one rated player. Based on one game, Irwin will be a player; having the two transfers next season solidifies the two post positions and enables this season's "core four" to dominate at the two and three. Particularly if Molly Bent keeps improving, next year's Freshman class may have to watch for a year. Nice position to be in, to be sure, barring serious injuries of course.
Megan's situation competition at (2 & 3) would not be any better at either ND or Texas. ND has Boley, Young, Mabrey, Patberg, Ogunbowale in those positions. Texas has Higgs, Horsey, Atkins, Holmes in those positions.
To keep things simpler I calculate this way: Of the three teams only UCONN will have a guaranteed open starting position open at SG-assuming Saniya starts.

Reaction Score
good- a lot of really good passes by many players.
better- the player passed to, collected it, and finished.
best- almost no bad passes.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed in this game re Natalie, is the team as in the past is not very good at entry passing to a post and has an annoying habit of rotating the ball to the wing on the side where the post player has just vacated to reposition on the opposite block. Happened with whoever was posting in the low block numerous times.

That can be fixed.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Nonsense, she's not coming here.

I wonder if Geno knows that. My guess is that she's known for some time and wants a couple minutes of drama as she announces. That's fine, but keeping someone hanging who showed you the ultimate respect (and a UConn scholly offer) seems a bit much. Maybe I don't fully understand this aspect. But why not let the other coaches know.

Reaction Score

Kaizen, you can now watch a replay of the game @http://uconnhuskygames.com/2015-2016-womens-basketball-game-replays/.
Click on "Recent Uploads." No charge. Whoever is providing this site has my undying thanks.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I watched the replay of the pre-season game. Some of the negative comments about Butler's play in my opinion are not fair. It was not easy to get her the ball and on a number of occasions when she caught it she was fouled. When she rebounded, she pivoted, kept the ball high and made an accurate two handed outlet pass. How can she dominate if her teammates don't get her the ball where she can score. She missed some close in shots but Tuck and Nurse missed many, many close in shots last season. Also, when she averaged 13 points a game at Georgetown she shot only 49 per cent which meant she was taking a lot of shots. She won't get as many shots at UCONN so she may not average double figures. If she ever plays at least 25 minutes a game I believe she will show her true ability. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Megan's situation competition at (2 & 3) would not be any better at either ND or Texas. ND has Boley, Young, Mabrey, Patberg, Ogunbowale in those positions. Texas has Higgs, Horsey, Atkins, Holmes in those positions.
To keep things simpler I calculate this way: Of the three teams only UCONN will have a guaranteed open starting position open at SG-assuming Saniya starts.

magically--at no time did the word ---NONSENSE--appear in your posting. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno knows that. My guess is that she's known for some time and wants a couple minutes of drama as she announces. That's fine, but keeping someone hanging who showed you the ultimate respect (and a UConn scholly offer) seems a bit much. Maybe I don't fully understand this aspect. But why not let the other coaches know.

Big Bird I respect most of your positing--usually thoughtful.
I don't think Walker is keeping anyone hanging--the 10th --she can sign on the dotted line and all coaches know that---remember a verbal is only as good as the paper it's written on.
I detest the word nonsense --when applied to an opinion on the Boneyard--it shows a disregard for common human kindness for fellow uC wbb fans. Lots of words could be used in it's place --interestingly enough one or 2 who uses are supposed to be word/English experts

Reaction Score
Gabby was making it look easy. Bent & Irwin looked like they belonged. Bent looks as though she may be able to give Geno some minutes at guard during prime time. I know it's only one game, but neither of them look out of place. I wanted to see more of Dangerfield. She made a couple of real nice passes, and only 1 turnover.

It appears that Butler still needed to work on her game underneath the basket. She got a shot block by a player 5 inches shorter, She miss several easy baskets a foot out from the backboard. She needs to go up with power and authority when putting up shots from there.

Chong looked OK. Made some baskets. Didn't see any defense lapses. I still need to see more from her though. Lou looked great. First games jitters for everyone. The next game should be a lot smoother, with less fouls. Overall, they put up 111 points, albeit on a lesser opponent, that's still a lot of pints.
We all have to wake up to the fact that Butler is not going to be a good player. She is awkward, slow, has bad hands, and is not athletic. She can't dominate against a division II opponent. She just isn't good for anything more than about 2 minutes a game, during which she will miss a lay-up and draw two personals. Next year, we'll have some quality players with size. Butler was a mistake.

Reaction Score
I watched the replay of the pre-season game. Some of the negative comments about Butler's play in my opinion are not fair. It was not easy to get her the ball and on a number of occasions when she caught it she was fouled. When she rebounded, she pivoted, kept the ball high and made an accurate two handed outlet pass. How can she dominate if her teammates don't get her the ball where she can score. She missed some close in shots but Tuck and Nurse missed many, many close in shots last season. Also, when she averaged 13 points a game at Georgetown she shot only 49 per cent which meant she was taking a lot of shots. She won't get as many shots at UCONN so she may not average double figures. If she ever plays at least 25 minutes a game I believe she will show her true ability. Just saying.
\
Thanks for this!! 50 (49) percent is pretty good. If she shoots at that rate--Uconn will be ready for prime time .
I hope the game plan wasn't to avoid getting the ball to Natalie!! Kiah and Buck suffered from not getting passes--the word, heard or read, was that she wouldn't score so don't pass it in to her.
If Uconn is to be marginally successful (getting to the 16 or 8 NCAA) Butler must become a formidable force in both offense and Defense--. Frankly we haven't seen that yet. In the IUP game 4th qtr I would have liked to see if Geno could go to Butler time after time and be successful
From the little I saw of the replay--EVERYONE was rushing their shots and missing some gimmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom