What Uconn alumna has made the greatest contributions to the program? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Uconn alumna has made the greatest contributions to the program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, Lobo would win the poll, and I anticipated she'd get a high number of votes, if not the majority or plurality. Hell, maybe even beyond the wheel or the printing press, Lobo has been our opposable thumb.

I still think we're spoiled that reasonable arguments or acknowledgements can and should be made for a large number of young women who came through the program. It really is overwhelming how extensive the continuum of greatness is at Uconn, and how generously so many players gave of themselves to make the program even more of a force than it already was. You could say Bascom, Lobo, Taurasi, or Stewart, and I wouldn't argue with you. Our cup simply runneth over.

Reaction Score
My classmate, Kerry Bascom, would be humbled that she is getting so much respect by the yard for being the spark that started it all for the WBB program at UConn. However, like many old back in the day guys from the lean years, I have to say that the One player that has made the greatest contributions to the program. The One player that was the spark that pushed the program to the next level, is none other than Lady Diana Taurasi. We all remember coach's comments during one of the championship runs; "We have Diana, and you don't." That moment. That comment, was the stamp; to me, that made our program and allowed Diana to become the One.

Like others had stated, we have had some great players who have made some great contributions. Bascom is a very competitive young lady and you should have seen her back in the late 80s!! . Lobo was a spark. Jen Rizzotti and Jamelle Elliott. Hands down my two favorite Huskies. Solid an additional sparks. The list goes on an on. But to me, the lady from Chino, California is the One.

Reaction Score
My classmate, Kerry Bascom, would be humbled that she is getting so much respect by the yard for being the spark that started it all for the WBB program at UConn. However, like many old back in the day guys from the lean years, I have to say that the One player that has made the greatest contributions to the program. The One player that was the spark that pushed the program to the next level, is none other than Lady Diana Taurasi. We all remember coach's comments during one of the championship runs; "We have Diana, and you don't." That moment. That comment, was the stamp; to me, that made our program and allowed Diana to become the One.

Like others had stated, we have had some great players who have made some great contributions. Bascom is a very competitive young lady and you should have seen her back in the late 80s!! . Lobo was a spark. Jen Rizzotti and Jamelle Elliott. Hands down my two favorite Huskies. Solid an additional sparks. The list goes on an on. But to me, the lady from Chino, California is the One.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo. People love watching her. Even now on ESPN, I love when she is calling a game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lobo and it is barely debatable. No Lobo and the entire history is changed. Bird and Taurasi's, Shea and Swin, likely never make it to UCONN. Every time Lobo is on ESPN she is connected to UCONN by others. She serves on the board of trustees and is an ongoing advocate for the program and the school.
I agree with the conclusion but not the entire thought process. Lobo was a special, special player and person. She was 9and is) talented, charismatic, responsible, focused and attractive. I do think, though, that Geno and Chris were knocking on the door and would have eventually gotten other top flight talent, remember that they had already gotten Bascom. But yeah Lobo is unique in terms of being an extraordinary player and person, who was in just the right place and just the right time.

Reaction Score
Lots and lots of choices. I like all the Lobo arguments, but it was DT that set the Tennessee rivalry on fire, pushing NCAA WBB (and UConn) over the hump, and it is she who rules the roost in Women's Basketball globally. I think she gets more interview and camera time than any other women's basketball player in the world.

I STILL think that after losing the NC game in 2004 the Late, Great Pat Summitt (first time I have had to type that) sat in the Tennessee locker room, popped the cork across the room and sipped a fine bottle of champagne, knowing that she would never, EVER have to compete against Diana Taurasi on the court, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom