What the BYU home and home says about realignment (bad news) | The Boneyard

What the BYU home and home says about realignment (bad news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since Manuel finally found an OOC 2014 opponent, does the scheduling of BYU give us an insight into expansion?

If it does, it is not goods news with respect to this:

Assume that UConn has a qualified invite to the Big Ten, or at least has reason to believe it will be invited. There are legions that scoff at such nutso ideas and now they can scoff further.

Would UConn have scheduled an October 31, 2015 game if this was true? It's hard to look at this objectively and think that it would have. Traveling to Utah that late in the season would not be sensible if UConn was playing a full Big Ten slate. Big Ten OOC games are played earlier in the year, much earlier.

In fact, no Big Ten team plays an OOC game in October, never mind the last week of October in 2015. And in 2014, only Indiana plays in October and that's during the first week of October against North Texas State.

So that's 24 teams not doing something UConn will do. That's bad odds.

Perhaps Manuel's role is purely to monitor the situation and therefore he no other responsibilities regarding realignment and UConn's athletic future, and that it is only handled by Herbst and her chief of staff, rachel rubin. So he scheduled a late season OOC game without knowing UConn's future. With the gang of three in charge, that very well may be plausible.

rachel.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm sure Warde is like, I'll worry about this problem when I'm in the B10. If I have to give away my daughters to appease BYU, then so be it!

Reaction Score
Since Manuel finally found an OOC 2014 opponent, does the scheduling of BYU give us an insight into expansion?

Assume that UConn has a qualified invite to the Big Ten, or at least has reason to believe it will be invited. There are legions that scoff at such nutso ideas and now they can scoff further.

Would UConn have scheduled an October 31, 2015 game if this was true? It's hard to look at this objectively and think that it would have. Traveling to Utah that late in the season would not be sensible if UConn was playing a full Big Ten slate. Big Ten OOC games are played earlier in the year, much earlier.

In fact, no Big Ten team plays an OOC game in October, never mind the last week of October in 2015. And in 2014, only Indiana plays in October and that's during the first week of October against North Texas State.

Perhaps Manuel's role is purely to monitor the situation and therefore he no other responsibilities regarding realignment and UConn's athletic future, and that it is only handled by Herbst and her chief of staff, rachel rubin. So he scheduled a late season OOC game without knowing UConn's future. With the gang of three in charge, that very well may be plausible.

rachel.jpg
As far as we know, no one has been invited anywhere yet. I like the fact that we have both Tennessee and BYU on our schedule in 2015. Let's keep signing those teams up. I'm tired of games against FCS and should be FCS teams.

Reaction Score

rachel.jpg

That is only "bad" news if you thought UConn knew for a fact it would be safe for the 2015 football season. It has been made perfectly clear by people with information that UConn does not have that knowledge. Unfortunately, some here continue to speculate that we might.

Reaction Score
That involves at least a sense of awareness of realignment, which at this point I would take in a heart beat.

Interestingly, the Cincy AD that scheduled a home and home with BYU in November 2012 said this today:

"We’re going to make it through all this. I just wish I knew when, but we’re going to make it through."Babcock insists that UC is in a good position for the future.

We’re in a good spot in the way that I think we’re the prettiest one at the dance that’s out there,” he said. “Our football program over the last six or seven seasons, our average BCS finish is 16th. That’s higher than any ACC or Big East school other than Virginia Tech. We’ve won or shared four of five Big East titles in football. Our basketball team has been in the NCAA tournament in 15 of the last 21 years. We’re in a good spot potentially. This is a stock on the rise.”

The UC athletic director said the Bearcats are being as pro-active as possible but declined to say which measures officials are taking to ensure that the school ends up in one of the five remaining premier conferences.

“That’s probably not in our best interest for me to answer that question,” Babcock said. “It’s on the top of my list every day. You can get too concerned to where you worry about a lot of things you can’t control. We try to focus every day on what we can control and that’s getting better competitively, facility-wise and all that.”

I'm sure Warde is like, I'll worry about this problem when I'm in the B10. If I have to give away my daughters to appease BYU, then so be it!

Reaction Score
Ay, there's the rub. This is bad news because it tells us it is not a fact that UConn thinks it is safe for 2015. Which means the potential devaluation of the brand has that much longer to take hold.

That is only "bad" news if you thought UConn knew for a fact it would be safe for the 2015 football season. It has been made perfectly clear by people with information that UConn does not have that knowledge. Unfortunately, some here continue to speculate that we might.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When we book an OOC against the ACC or B1G, then I'll feel the door has closed tighter on landing elsewhere. BYU is a victory for us multiple ways, despite the October date.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think the rest of the 2014 and 2015 holes will be filled with big 12 and Mac teams.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
When we book an OOC against the ACC or B1G, then I'll feel the door has closed tighter on landing elsewhere. BYU is a victory for us multiple ways, despite the October date.

This. The SEC goes OOC (mostly I-AA) in November every year. You guys are reaching for anything...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
"It's at the top of my list, everyday."

I'm not sure anything else needs to be said, except is this posted on the door of every member of UConn's AD, Admin, and BOT? Because, it should be. Cincy isn't playing around.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i am somewhat worried about this. i think we must have a buyout that can happen as result. on a side note we did have a series with uva coming soon that was scrapped i think quietly. that should be a dig for a beat writer reading this....

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I guess this doesn't bother me as much as the true B1G-liebers. But can you really call yourself a B1G-lieber if all it takes is an away game in October 2015 to pierce the dream? All you have to do is say the invite will come in 2014-ish so we can join in 2016 or 2017. Keep the faith.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It helps sell season tickets, which is the most immediate crisis. Conf X wasn't going to do it. The Oct date, doesn't bother me. Most conferences have bye weeks or sechedule late OOC games, some are even rivalry games. Our new conference can handle it.

Take the teeny tiny positive that its not an ACC or BIG team. That would say a lot.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
i am somewhat worried about this. i think we must have a buyout that can happen as result. on a side note we did have a series with uva coming soon that was scrapped i think quietly. that should be a dig for a beat writer reading this....
Not sure if you were kidding about the UVA series being scrapped but its still on the schedule per UConn release? Was the dig that Dez said canceled and its obviously not

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Not sure if you were kidding about the UVA series being scrapped but its still on the schedule per UConn release? Was the dig that Dez said canceled and its obviously not
Good point, the UVA series for 2016 and 2017 is mentioned in the press release...doh.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030413aaa.html[/quote]

i had not seen this until now. for others here:
The following is a complete summary of future non-conference games under contract for UConn football:
2013: August 29, Towson; September 14, Maryland; September 21, Michigan; September 28, at Buffalo.
2014: August 28, BYU; September 6, Stony Brook.
2015: September 5, Villanova; September 26, Tennessee; October 31, at BYU.
2106: September 3, at Tennessee; September 17, Virginia.
2017: September 16, at Virginia.

1) i was told the uva series was going to get scrapped. guess not for now atleast. interesting....
2) we had a ucf series i guess that has been scrapped...
3) wtf nova really????? .we need to stop playing fcs school period. act like the ppl u want to join. i want to join the b10. how about u? schedule army and umass every year before u touch a fcs team. get with the program. its about tv eyeballs and exposure and filling seats. nova and sbrook types are not winners for that formula. c k!!!!
4) all i can do every time i see at buffalo is just laugh. if this school schedules another game with that school i am going to murder a random person and leave a note blaming buffalo football. i would rather play @ bsu or @ tulsa for a 1 for 1 then play another buffalo series.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Take the teeny tiny positive that its not an ACC or BIG team. That would say a lot.

Yes, its a teeny tiny positive. During the present CR melee, if an AD at a B1G or ACC takes the time to book an OOC series with us, then I'd say its likely we are truly on the outside (the UVA series was booked a while ago). Why waste time book a series with us if we are on the the CR bubble.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That involves at least a sense of awareness of realignment, which at this point I would take in a heart beat.

Interestingly, the Cincy AD that scheduled a home and home with BYU in November 2012 said this today:

"We’re going to make it through all this. I just wish I knew when, but we’re going to make it through."Babcock insists that UC is in a good position for the future.

We’re in a good spot in the way that I think we’re the prettiest one at the dance that’s out there,” he said. “Our football program over the last six or seven seasons, our average BCS finish is 16th. That’s higher than any ACC or Big East school other than Virginia Tech. We’ve won or shared four of five Big East titles in football. Our basketball team has been in the NCAA tournament in 15 of the last 21 years. We’re in a good spot potentially. This is a stock on the rise.”

The UC athletic director said the Bearcats are being as pro-active as possible but declined to say which measures officials are taking to ensure that the school ends up in one of the five remaining premier conferences.

“That’s probably not in our best interest for me to answer that question,” Babcock said. “It’s on the top of my list every day. You can get too concerned to where you worry about a lot of things you can’t control. We try to focus every day on what we can control and that’s getting better competitively, facility-wise and all that.”
Hmn I wonder what the top of Manual's list looks like>
th

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the Big 10 came calling for 2015 pretty clearly they could reschedule or write a check. Not much to worry about here. If you think UConn has some kind of conditional invite you have lost touch with reality.

Reaction Score
Ay, there's the rub. This is bad news because it tells us it is not a fact that UConn thinks it is safe for 2015. Which means the potential devaluation of the brand has that much longer to take hold.

Not sure it tells us anything, really. As others have said, if anything this is a positive. If it is a negative, it will be handled at the appropriate time in the future. We have other things to worry about.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I love how we're trying to turn a positive OOC game into some sort of negative. Haven't we all been saying that the only way to help us stay relevant is to play relevant OOC games?? Isn't this Home and Home one of those examples? Plus, we don't need to do a 2 for 1 or play our "home" game at the Meadowlands or Foxboro. Let's actually be happy here. The reality is CR isn't over and all this game does is show that were trying to give our FB chance to win big games and help us elevate into a new conference!

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
We just need to beat Michigan to prove we belong. Build OOC schedule travel well and win games!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great game against a solid team with a good following. No downside except for those deluded into thinking we have a B1G invite. It shouldn't interfere with going to the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom