What keeping Pasqualoni for another day means | The Boneyard

What keeping Pasqualoni for another day means

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It tells the players that their season is already over and they should start looking out for themselves.

It tells the coaches that they should spend the next 3 months looking for their next job instead of doing this one.

It tells the fans that this season has been written off.

It tells other conferences that UConn tolerates total incompetence.

Pasqualoni has no chance of returning next year after tonight's loss. So what is the point of keeping him employed for another game? His tenure at UConn is over, so why not salvage the season for the school, students and fans? Why not let the players play for something?

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with a single thing said BUT what do you do? Make Weist interim? It's not like the O was good and he doesn't seem qualified for the job yet. Also, most coaches we'd want are currently employed, so it's not like you can even talk to them through official channels at this point.

I'm curious because I'm more of a basketball guy where it is easier to put an interim assistant in place. It doesn't seem practical in football.

Maybe we take all the exit fee money we have coming and give it all to Belicheck to leave the Pats. Maybe he wants to get away from the Hernandez stuff. ;-)

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Never thought I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with Nelson in agreement......

Amazing isn't it? I find myself in the same quandry.

But...the point is valid...there is no way this team will play well enough this year for PP to keep his job. Can him and GDL and put Weist in charge. GIve him the Ollie deal. Prove it...and you are hired.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with a single thing said BUT what do you do? Make Weist interim? It's not like the O was good and he doesn't seem qualified for the job yet. Also, most coaches we'd want are currently employed, so it's not like you can even talk to them through official channels at this point.

I'm curious because I'm more of a basketball guy where it is easier to put an interim assistant in place. It doesn't seem practical in football.

Maybe we take all the exit fee money we have coming and give it all to Belicheck to leave the Pats. Maybe he wants to get away from the Hernandez stuff. ;-)

I'd make Weist interim and hire Ansonia's o-line coach tomorrow.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

But...the point is valid...there is no way this team will play well enough this year for PP to keep his job. Can him and GDL and put Weist in charge. GIve him the Ollie deal. Prove it...and you are hired.
What did Weist show you tonight? We still love running a little person between the tackles.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's not fair to the players, fans or even other coaches to keep Pasqualoni. He has 0% chance of being retained at this point, so Herbst is simply wasting everyone's year by keeping him employed.

Reaction Score

There is zero downside in making the move. Forget about the money. We will lose more in Brand recognition and program destruction than what it costs to get rid of deathly incompetence. Once again, we see a team totally unprepared to execute.

Reaction Score
I don't think Weist was calling the shots as he wants too. PP was always quick to warn us that "not much is changing with the offense".

Reaction Score
I know Weist has worked a lot with the receivers, and they at least looked half decent tonight

Reaction Score
It tells the players that their season is already over and they should start looking out for themselves.

It tells the coaches that they should spend the next 3 months looking for their next job instead of doing this one.

Pasqualoni has no chance of returning next year after tonight's loss. So what is the point of keeping him employed for another game? His tenure at UConn is over, so why not salvage the season for the school, students and fans? Why not let the players play for something?
100% accurate, now let's be proactive as fans and let Susan and Warde know they have lost our support if PP and GDL aren't fired.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The conspiracy theorist in me says the guy who announced the game is available. (KC Keeler who coached Delaware).

Reaction Score
Completely agree with Nelson. There is nothing to lose by getting rid of the PP/GDL connection now. It is nearly impossible to lose any more games than these fools will lose, so start fresh. PP is as befuddled as a head coach can possibly be. It is clear by now tha he actually has no idea why he loses as often as he does, otherwise he would make the adjustments which he has shown himself incapable of doing.

Reaction Score

BUMP

Well said. Two weeks until the next game, this will be the last chance this season to make a change.

Name TJ Interim, restore Foley to line coach, P and D take a hike.

Heck can we bring Don Brown back now as HC or is that not allowed?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

who cares, just get rid of a proven loser

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more with Nelson. .....and there it is.

It looked like Weist was opening it up and then the wheels fell off the OL. When Whitmer had time to throw he was good.

There was flashes of improvement from Lyle but then the OL sucked again.

I guess you can't replace 4 NFL draft picks on the defense and I guess you can't replace you adequate slot receiver and your way above adequate TE.

PP and GDL need to be gone tomorrow. Hank gets interim HC, Foley goes back to OL and maybe keeps TE's as well.

I think Weist had the right idea and I certainly saw a better mix of plays called. Remember he needed to establish the run to set up the pass like they did at Cincy. Once it was pass only they took care of the only 2 WR's we have. Game, set and match.

No depth at WR and no nothing at TE. You get exposed quick.

This is the lowest point of my UConn fandom. I will not disagree with one thing anyone says other than blaming Whitmer. He had a solid game.

If Mack is on the field for MD it means we are so bad at corner it doesn't even matter. Thanks for the effort Mack...but it ain't working.

I feel utterly and totally hopeless right now. Not good.

Props to the students for showing up and would someone tell the band director and sound guy we have a no huddle offense. Horrible job.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
It is truly incredible the amount of failure that is allowed in the sporting world. If, in ANY of our real world jobs, we were as successful as PP has been at doing our jobs, we would be fired in a matter of days, and would be laughed straight out the job if we asked for millions of dollars to single-handedly run our businesses in to the ground.

Reaction Score
So the thought going into this past offseason was that Pasqualoni would be given one more season to prove himself.

He's been given his season as far as I'm concerned.

It'd be one thing if he was fired up at the end of this game talking to his guys -- you know, COACHING. Instead, he was just standing there by himself staring out into space with his trademark sad/befuddled expression. That, for me, was probably the hardest part of the game to stomach. The guy is totally checked out.

As BlueDogs said there is no downside now. Get rid of PP and send GDL packing with him. Weist steps in as caretaker and Foley gets his O-Line back. The timing is actually perfect with a bye week coming up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Got to keep him through the year.

If he gets canned right now there will be confusion amongst the coaches and the players. And that confusion will manifest itself in the form of ill prepared players, untimely penalties, lacksidaisical plays and possibly a zero win season.

Never mind. Fire them yesterday.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
As if there isn't maximum confusion amonst the coaching staff already

Reaction Score
What did Weist show you tonight? We still love running a little person between the tackles.

The first TD drive was an absolute thing of beauty ending with the TD catch. But I knew we were in trouble when I saw GDL sidling up to PP. The fact it took 2 minutes to get the play in after the fourth-down stop -- and the play was NOT a throw down the field - was not a TJ call. no way.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
He needs to go but I don't think WM has the balls to pull the trigger.
To buyout PP's contract in 2013 would be $500,000. On Jan 1 2014 that goes down to $400,000. There might be other reasons to wait to fire him (mainly not being able to get a new HC installed soon enough, and maybe WM doesn't think TJW or HH is the right person for the next HC), but I don't think 100 grand is large enough of a sum to play a role in the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom