What is your best leftover turkey recipe? | The Boneyard

What is your best leftover turkey recipe?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My mom used to make a turkey tetrazzini that was good. Curious if you have any favorites.

Reaction Score
Large 2 gallons or more pot, use two if more turkey and split between pots.
Put 1 gal of water in each pot, bring to slow boil
Add: ALL leftover turkey and bones, stuffing, cranberry sauce, potatoes etc
Boil the content down to 2 cups of liquid.
Using first a food processor then a heavy duty blender process the contents of the pot(s)
The end result is a liquid with bone particles
Thru a filtering cloth pour the contents into Large mason jars, allow to sit then cap
This makes the best cat and dog food --they will love it--and you don't have eat turkey beyond thanksgiving day.

Reaction Score
Large 2 gallons or more pot, use two if more turkey and split between pots.
Put 1 gal of water in each pot, bring to slow boil
Add: ALL leftover turkey and bones, stuffing, cranberry sauce, potatoes etc
Boil the content down to 2 cups of liquid.
Using first a food processor then a heavy duty blender process the contents of the pot(s)
The end result is a liquid with bone particles
Thru a filtering cloth pour the contents into Large mason jars, allow to sit then cap
This makes the best cat and dog food --they will love it--and you don't have eat turkey beyond thanksgiving day.

that's way too much work for me................how about one day of turkey sandwiches and everything else sans bones gets thrown to the dogs!!!!!!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
cam.gif

No recipes.... just wanted to use this in a thread.. this one seemed most appropriate

Reaction Score
that's way too much work for me......how about one day of turkey sandwiches and everything else sans bones gets thrown to the dogs!!!!!!!
That is actually the way we do it---I HATE leftovers. I don't do my list with turkey but with Walmart cooked chicken--. Also Turkey has lost it's mystique, desirability, flavor. I'm asking the President to move Turkey day to May when travel has less hazards and dinner of steak and fries.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Turkey pot pie;
Simple cut up the left over turkey. Get a bag of mixed vegetables. Two cans of cream of chicken soup. 1 can of biscuits. top the biscuits with back pepper put in the oven.
1543007007929.png

Reaction Score
I boiled the carcass today and made soup. I only use the stock and the turkey from Thanksgiving. I add fresh carrots, celery, butternut squash, Yukon gold potatoes and stuffing balls. Best ever.

Reaction Score
cold turkey, Italian bread and cranberry sauce - best sandwich of the year!

My cranberry sauce:
bag of frozen cranberries, sliced up raw ginger, apple juice or whatever juice to sweeten , spices - nice kick to it.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A big slice of toasted Tuscan bread, top with a scoop of stuffing and piled with chunks of browned turkey leftovers. Drown it all in leftover gravy. Cranberry on the side. Just finished mine.

Bones with meat simmered with veggies to make turkey noodle soup.

Reaction Score
Made Turkey Curry...1st time try at this. It was pretty good. The rest became broth, then soup...the remains tossed.

There are many recipes for curry.,.. here's the one we used with a little personal flair (based on whet we had also).

Turkey Curry with Rice

Oh and this recipe looked interesting too. Maybe next year.

Gobbler Cakes

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I make broth, add a minced onion, possibly some celery, and a bay leaf. Thicken with sufficient flour or corn starch dissolved in cold water, and plop dumpling batter (Fannie Farmer recipe) on top. in 20 minutes you've got real comfort food.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
TURKEY DEVONSHIRE - Classic Pittsburgh Sandwich
The Devonshire sandwich originated in the 1930s by a man named Frank Blandi. He first served them at The Stratford in the Shadyside neighborhood. It was nameless. The name for this sandwich came to him when he operated the Lemont Restaurant in Mount Washington looking down at the city of Pittsburgh, he could see Devonshire Street. He thought that would make a good name for a sandwich. Mrs. SVC is a big fan. Actually in about an hour and a half I will be making Turkey Devonshires for supper. Heart healthy? No! Really tasty though!

INGREDIENTS
Cream Sauce
  • 3/4 stick butter (melted)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 pound Cheddar cheese (grated)
  • 1 pint chicken broth
  • 1 pint hot milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
For each sandwich
  • 1 slice good toast (OPTIONAL - crusts trimmed off; we use a hearty bread)
  • 3 slices crisp bacon (or your way)
  • 5 slices thin cooked turkey breast
  • Cream Sauce (recipe above)
  • Melted butter
  • Parmesan cheese and paprika
To make the Cream Sauce:
  1. Melt 3/4 stick butter in deep pan and add flour, stirring constantly.
  2. Add chicken broth and then hot milk (or 1/2 & 1/2) and salt, for 20 minutes, still stirring.
  3. Mix in cheddar cheese thoroughly
  4. Cool to lukewarm. Beat with wire whip until smooth before using. This makes enough sauce for 6 Devonshire sandwiches.
  5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  6. In each individual oven-proof casserole dish, place 1 slice of toast and top with 3 slices bacon.
  7. Add 5 thin slices of cooked turkey breast.
  8. Cover completely with cream sauce.
  9. Sprinkle with a little melted butter, then with the combined Parmesan cheese and paprika.
  10. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  11. Take out the oven and ENJOY!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I make broth, add a minced onion, possibly some celery, and a bay leaf. Thicken with sufficient flour or corn starch dissolved in cold water, and plop dumpling batter (Fannie Farmer recipe) on top. in 20 minutes you've got real comfort food.
My grandmother used to make chicken and dumplings. No matter how I try, it comes our chicken, hockey pucks and glue.

Reaction Score
Simple bachelor special here the spouse even likes. One large white onion sliced and into a good size frying pan with olive oil. Cooked until starting to get really soft, add leftover or market turkey gravy.
Toss in chunks of turkey meat to warm up. (This saves any white meat that may have been a little dry).
Any way you like from here! Next to or over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles along with leftover stuffing.
Even good as what was known in the day as (SOS) sheet over shingles when the meat and gravy were spooned out over a couple pieces of toast.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Nothing fancy here - last of the assorted left-overs eaten for lunch today, and the remaining meat divided and frozen for future meals. On Thanksgiving - when my wife had a better than usual health day - she tossed the carcass bones in water with some celery and carrots and onion and made a broth; she hasn't felt well since, but fixed it up today (Sunday) by straining out the bones and adding some veggies so that we had chicken soup for dinner plus I froze 2 containers of the rest of it for the future. Refrigerator now empty.

When her health was better, she made an excellent casserole, which was similar to my mother's casserole.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My grandmother used to make chicken and dumplings. No matter how I try, it comes our chicken, hockey pucks and glue.

Your batter is probably too stiff. Or possibly you're not using enough baking powder (less likely). Mine varies quite a bit, mostly probably due to eyeballing the amount of milk in the dumplings. Wife and daughter both still like them when they're a bit "firm".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the best way to warm up leftover turkey is in the leftover gravy.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
1 - turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce sandwich on italian bread
2 - TOS ... turkey, stuffing mixed in gravy, poured over either mashed or toast

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members