what is wrong with Watchespn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

what is wrong with Watchespn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not at all! They have every game up from this season, every game from last season, and a ton of old games. It's an awesome site.
maybe the games are posted there but arent linked here (wish there was a dedicated pinned thread but...) some of out "mature" poster may not know how to navigate all over the world wide web like some of our many "hip/teeny bopper" posters.

I have a Galaxy 4s with the WatchESPN app, a IPad mini with the app, 2 Roku's with the app attached to both my 47" and 60" TV's... of course I get SNY so I just record the games using my "DVR" ;):):D:rolleyes::oops::p:cool::D

Reaction Score
...couldn't get it up last night

It happens.

Anyway, let’s not assume that it’s necessarily ESPN that’s screwed up, since it appears that WatchESPN is working on Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Android…perhaps the issue is compatibility with Internet Explorer? There are continuing evolutionary changes in HTML and/or CSS – you’ve probably noticed that you don’t get pop-ups telling you to update the Flash player anymore, for example (generally it's no longer used) – so perhaps the problem is that Internet Explorer has changed and not WatchESPN; where I work some of our home study material can only be run on Internet Explorer, while other programs must be run through Chrome or Firefox only – it depends on the vendor.

Other than DVR, as sarals24 pointed out by far the best place to watch a replay is the UConn Husky Games website – they’re all archived there reasonably quickly and whatever problem some of you are having with WatchESPN wouldn’t apply there. An additional benefit is that they are archived there “forever” whereas I’m pretty sure ESPN only keeps them for a week or so. Also, UConn Husky Games has all the games including those on Fox and CBS – for all of our lovefest for the Fox broadcast of this year’s DePaul game, as near as I can tell Fox does not archive the games and I wasn’t able to watch it until the next day…on UConn Husky Games.

As Cabbie191 said, the downside of either WatchESPN or Husky Games is that you end up watching on your computer or tablet and that’s not nearly as nice as the big screen, and if I’m actually working on the computer and/or tablet then I can’t watch the game; this is where dongles come into play. Because I travel for a living I have an Amazon Fire Stick and a Google Chromecast. Both plug into a TV’s HDMI ports – they need to be externally powered but that can be directly from the TV’s own USB port (if it has HDMI ports it almost certainly has a USB port) or from a regular wall outlet.

The Amazon Fire Stick runs its own WatchESPN app directly and has its own remote, and I’ve never had any problems with it being “jumpy”. It also has a Youtube app so you can run the archived games from UConn Husky Games though that’s a little trickier, because the actual Husky Games Youtube account isn’t public – you can’t surf Youtube to find it, but there are work-arounds, including third-party apps that allow you to send what’s on your browser to your Fire Stick (or directly to a “smart TV”).

The Chromecast is even simpler in that it allows you to send anything that you’re viewing in the Chrome browser directly to your TV; the only issue that I’ve had is that the earlier ones were often incompatible with hotel wifi networks; it works great at home but on the road I had to bring a small travel router to get on the same node. Supposedly the new Chromcasts don’t have that limitation.

There are also third-party apps that can get the game from an internet browser to a dongle; I use AirReceiver for my PC and TVCast for my iPad.

I haven’t tried Apple TV or Roku but I assume that they would all work as well as the Fire Stick or Chromecast; in my profession portability is essential.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It happens.

perhaps the issue is compatibility with Internet Explorer?

Protip #1: never use IE. It's stone-age outdated. None of the browsers are perfect but anyone would be upgrading by switching.

Reaction Score
It happens.

Anyway, let’s not assume that it’s necessarily ESPN that’s screwed up, since it appears that WatchESPN is working on Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Android…perhaps the issue is compatibility with Internet Explorer? There are continuing evolutionary changes in HTML and/or CSS – you’ve probably noticed that you don’t get pop-ups telling you to update the Flash player anymore, for example (generally it's no longer used) – so perhaps the problem is that Internet Explorer has changed and not WatchESPN; where I work some of our home study material can only be run on Internet Explorer, while other programs must be run through Chrome or Firefox only – it depends on the vendor.

Other than DVR, as sarals24 pointed out by far the best place to watch a replay is the UConn Husky Games website – they’re all archived there reasonably quickly and whatever problem some of you are having with WatchESPN wouldn’t apply there. An additional benefit is that they are archived there “forever” whereas I’m pretty sure ESPN only keeps them for a week or so. Also, UConn Husky Games has all the games including those on Fox and CBS – for all of our lovefest for the Fox broadcast of this year’s DePaul game, as near as I can tell Fox does not archive the games and I wasn’t able to watch it until the next day…on UConn Husky Games.

As Cabbie191 said, the downside of either WatchESPN or Husky Games is that you end up watching on your computer or tablet and that’s not nearly as nice as the big screen, and if I’m actually working on the computer and/or tablet then I can’t watch the game; this is where dongles come into play. Because I travel for a living I have an Amazon Fire Stick and a Google Chromecast. Both plug into a TV’s HDMI ports – they need to be externally powered but that can be directly from the TV’s own USB port (if it has HDMI ports it almost certainly has a USB port) or from a regular wall outlet.

The Amazon Fire Stick runs its own WatchESPN app directly and has its own remote, and I’ve never had any problems with it being “jumpy”. It also has a Youtube app so you can run the archived games from UConn Husky Games though that’s a little trickier, because the actual Husky Games Youtube account isn’t public – you can’t surf Youtube to find it, but there are work-arounds, including third-party apps that allow you to send what’s on your browser to your Fire Stick (or directly to a “smart TV”).

The Chromecast is even simpler in that it allows you to send anything that you’re viewing in the Chrome browser directly to your TV; the only issue that I’ve had is that the earlier ones were often incompatible with hotel wifi networks; it works great at home but on the road I had to bring a small travel router to get on the same node. Supposedly the new Chromcasts don’t have that limitation.

There are also third-party apps that can get the game from an internet browser to a dongle; I use AirReceiver for my PC and TVCast for my iPad.

I haven’t tried Apple TV or Roku but I assume that they would all work as well as the Fire Stick or Chromecast; in my profession portability is essential.
Thank you for the details. However, I use Chrome, not IE, and it helps not at all.

Reaction Score
It happens.

As for the UConn Husky Games website, I don't want to sound ungrateful for this service, because it really is a service that this site provides, but I am not sure what you mean by "reasonably quickly." On the site I've gone to, the most recent archived game was Ohio State on Nov. 16. I certainly don't mind waiting, and I will watch this game on the Husky Games site when it posts, but it'd be good to be able to view games within the month in which they occurred.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
As for the UConn Husky Games website, I don't want to sound ungrateful for this service, because it really is a service that this site provides, but I am not sure what you mean by "reasonably quickly." On the site I've gone to, the most recent archived game was Ohio State on Nov. 16. I certainly don't mind waiting, and I will watch this game on the Husky Games site when it posts, but it'd be good to be able to view games within the month in which they occurred.
This should do it for ya: http://uconnhuskygames.com/2015-2016-womens-basketball-game-replays/

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
You have to go to the dropdown menu and go to "Current Season". They have every game uploaded, including the LSU game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
but it'd be good to be able to view games within the month in which they occurred.

The games are usually up within 24 hours, mostly well before that.

Reaction Score
I use to get ESPN3 on my Roku using my Time Warner credentials. Now for some reason, starting 3 days ago, it will not work on the Roku. It does however work (and has always worked) on my laptop, same credentials used to log in.

Reaction Score
The games are usually up within 24 hours, mostly well before that.
They are usually up within hours of the game. They don't always make the home page right away but if you go to the 2015-2016 page they will be there

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I use to get ESPN3 on my Roku using my Time Warner credentials. Now for some reason, starting 3 days ago, it will not work on the Roku. It does however work (and has always worked) on my laptop, same credentials used to log in.
are all your devices on the same wireless network?

Reaction Score
You have to go to the dropdown menu and go to "Current Season". They have every game uploaded, including the LSU game.
Thank you. I was using a link that I thought was correct but apparently was an outdated listing of available games. This helps a lot.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I haven't used my Roku's in a while (cause I get all the games on regular cable) but I'll check to see if I have an issue with WatchESPN

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
WatchESPN is horrible when you're trying to replay a game. Make sure the browser you're using is updated, I've heard that helps. It works pretty good during a live broadcast though. I was trying to watch the SC/Elon replay yesterday and it kept starting over after every commercial break. I stopped watching out of frustration just before halftime.

Reaction Score
I just got the WatchESPN app and linked my Samsung Galaxy S6 to my Samsung 60" TV and watch it on that.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I just got the WatchESPN app and linked my Samsung Galaxy S6 to my Samsung 60" TV and watch it on that.

Yea I've noticed it works fine when I'm connected to WiFi on my phone.. it's just my laptop for some reason it get weird..

Reaction Score
I've had better results on IE than Firefox (it has been 'less jumpy'), but neither has been great. It takes too much effort and the results are just 'OK'. (BTW, right clicking on the video produces drop down for flash player settings...so it must still be there somewhere).

Often, starting/stopping/restarting/skipping/sound loss/jitter-jumping at various points is pretty bad...and the stream sometimes 'self resets' back to start or jumps to the end. Once this starts to happen, if I can't recover, I've restarted the browser/session or changed to another browser (mainly IE and FF) and tried again. This sometimes helps BUT not always and it all takes time and effort...often at midnight or later :) Eventually I get through the game (mostly) but sometimes it isn't fun.

All in all among the worst quality replays I've experienced in the last few years of watching many UConn games. I keep telling myself it will get better. I thought maybe I was the only one and it was my computer(s) and/or settings etc.

I'll check out UConn Husky Games website. I'm not sure how quickly they get the replay online...I usually watch the 'big games' as soon after they end as possible, which is often late at night or early next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom