What is Wrong with this Picture | The Boneyard

What is Wrong with this Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seriously, do you people not "get" it? There is glee that the ACC is being squeezed out towards second tier status? Seriously? How dumb are we as a board?

If the ACC becomes a 2d tier league, and its members are severely disadvantaged, it means one of two things. First, that UConn will be severely disadvantaged because we join the ACC when FSU and someone else leaves it. Or, second, that UConn stays in the Big East and the Big East is severely disadvantaged because the Big East, at best, will have the status that the ACC does. In no reasonable scenario (and thinking we are joining the Big Ten is not a reasonable scenario) does the movement of ACC teams to the Big XII help our program stay on the level it's on now, where it can in theory (because there are structural disadvantages having nothing to do with conference) compete with anyone for national football championships if we are good enough.

I know people like to hate their enemies, and I know the ACC is an enemy, but don't people care about what is good for UConn more than what is bad for the ACC and its members?

Reaction Score
I agree. I don't see the point in hoping the ACC is damaged. I want the Big East and ACC to fight for BCS rights and for us to simply be in the stronger of the two. Of course, that is assuming the B10 is off the table.

Reaction Score
Who said the 4 conferences who are in the drivers' seats right now cannot go beyond 14? It is possible they can go to 16 or 18. The networks would be more interested in covering as many markets as they can. They know UConn has a solid market. Our basketball programs do have legendary status now.

Reaction Score
I'm personally waiting for the day when the Big EAst and ACC agree to our own post season matchup of conference champions. I personally take no joy in watching fans, students and alumni of other institutions go through what UConn has gone through when it comes to uncertainty about your future. I really have no desire to be competiting in the ACC during the regular season, not in the past, not now. But I'd love to play a post season game in football against them regularly.

I'm really sorry to have lost the regular matchups with Syracuse. That really sucks. But it is what it is. Nebraska v. Oklahoma. West Virginia v. PIttsburgh. Kansas v. Missouri. Texas v. Texas A&M. Syracuse v. UConn. All gone. We at UConn, as fans, aren't alone in all of this that's happened in the past 2 years.

What really pisses me off though, is the way that the business was done b/w the ACC and the Big East members in the past, and up until the past year... and the way that big east leadership in the past (and I don't mean Marinatto) handled it all. I'm talking about the presidents and predecessor to our former commissioner.

The time for that kind of business is over, and if the ACC knows what's good for it, Swofford will tuck his tail, and approach the Big East for that post season bowl game matchup of conference champs.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson leave: there would be the Big 4 conferences with ACC and BE excluded. Probably maakes the ACC expand again and we would be in a good position to be a candidate for that. If nothing else, it puts the BE on a more even field with the ACC.

Both good.

FSU and Clemson stay: Further marganilzes BE football, ACC probably doesn't expand further and we are stuck in a BE that sucks.

Both bad.

Face it with the current tv contract dollar disaparity and the way the playoff is shaping up it looks like were going to be locked out either way. I don't see how a strong ACC effetcs UConn positively in any way.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Let's face it: the ACC is our best hope. If asked to join, I would hold my nose and do so. I don't like Swofford. He's not a visionary, he wasn't ahead of the curve and he raided the BE twice and by doing so put two conferences in peril. I wish we had another option but it's either the BigFrankenstein or the ACC and the ACC wins out between the two.

Reaction Score
As immature and/or irrational as it is, I do take pleasure in watching those that have been arrogant in their attempt to destroy us, be destroyed as well. Since we are screwed already, I'll take some comfort in knowing that others are with us. I don't have any control over the results anyway, so I might as well find a rooting interest.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seriously, do you people not "get" it? There is glee that the ACC is being squeezed out towards second tier status? Seriously? How dumb are we as a board?

If the ACC becomes a 2d tier league, and its members are severely disadvantaged, it means one of two things. First, that UConn will be severely disadvantaged because we join the ACC when FSU and someone else leaves it. Or, second, that UConn stays in the Big East and the Big East is severely disadvantaged because the Big East, at best, will have the status that the ACC does. In no reasonable scenario (and thinking we are joining the Big Ten is not a reasonable scenario) does the movement of ACC teams to the Big XII help our program stay on the level it's on now, where it can in theory (because there are structural disadvantages having nothing to do with conference) compete with anyone for national football championships if we are good enough.

I know people like to hate their enemies, and I know the ACC is an enemy, but don't people care about what is good for UConn more than what is bad for the ACC and its members?

I can wish something to happen all I want, it won't make it so. So what difference does it make how I feel about the ACC is getting raided?

ConnHusk below lays it out best. Only good can come from FSU and Clemson, and only FSU and Clemson, leaving for the Big 12. Either a) UConn and Rutgers replace them, or b) there is now measurable difference between the ACC and Big East, with the recent adjustment to $17MM/year serving as a nice benchmark for the Big East deal. If the ACC comes apart, it gets a little dicey for UConn. As of now, it looks like Texas is digging in at 12 teams for the Big 12, and the SEC and Big 10 do not have more than a casual interest in the the other ACC teams.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The below scene probably sums up my feelings (and my confusion, at this point). I agree with Bizlaw; a destroyed ACC is probably worse than an existing ACC, although I really really really really really want to see those bastards get what's coming to them. The ultimate question is; if the ACC is not destroyed, will they and the Big East finally work together to do what they both need to be done, which is to both fight against the "Fab 4" trying to monopolize the FBS landscape? There is so much hatred and so much bad feeling between the two that I don't know if it's possible...

Reaction Score
The below scene probably sums up my feelings (and my confusion, at this point). I agree with Bizlaw; a destroyed ACC is probably worse than an existing ACC, although I really really really really really want to see those bastards get what's coming to them. The ultimate question is; if the ACC is not destroyed, will they and the Big East finally work together to do what they both need to be done, which is to both fight against the "Fab 4" trying to monopolize the FBS landscape? There is so much hatred and so much bad feeling between the two that I don't know if it's possible...

The Israeli and Iranian militaries cooperated for an extended period of time in order to have a joint plan to deal with Iraq. The ACC and Big East will work together as long as it is in their respective best interests to do so. It is only fans that have an issue with this concept.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The Israeli and Iranian militaries cooperated for an extended period of time in order to have a joint plan to deal with Iraq. The ACC and Big East will work together as long as it is in their respective best interests to do so. It is only fans that have an issue with this concept.

If that were true, then this board woudn't have 20 threads where the name Gene DeFilippo appears, right? Clearly, there are paid professionals in positions of power (sorry for the alliteration) that have an issue with that concept as well...

Reaction Score

Don't underestimate the egocentric behavior of people involved BL, to their own detriment, just because they might be the Athletic Director or president acting for the BOT, of a division 1 college, or might be the commissioner of a league of division 1 colleges and universities. We're talking about the ACC now.

It wouldn't strike me as unusual, if Swofford rode his ship to the bottom, while still proclaiming that the Big East is inferior to the ACC, and refusing to do legitimate business with teh conference. Flipper would be manning the wheel of that ship.

I do think it's in the best interest of both conferences at this point in time, to arrange a post season meeting of conference champions in a football game (should post season contracts allow it).

that's the thing that's lost too much, in all the blabbering about this new SEC v. BIg 12 "champions bowl". With the existing contracts for the post season that are in place, PLUS the new format of whatever the BCS is going to turn into - the chances of that game ever actually matching up the champions is slim.

BUt it is the roadmap to a true playoff of conference champs.

BIg east and ACC need to follow suit, and then the rest of the conferences create matchups as well, and the first round of playoff will have been established, without a single BCS discussion having to do with it.

Unintended consequences of 80 year old Neinas trying to stabilize the big 12.

Reaction Score
If that were true, then this board woudn't have 20 threads where the name Gene DeFilippo appears, right? Clearly, there are paid professionals in positions of power (sorry for the alliteration) that have an issue with that concept as well...

Beat me to it, and with a lot less words.

Reaction Score
personally i think the chances of the ACC being marginalized to the point where there's only 4 conferences vying for the NC are very far fetched. IMO anyone that thinks the ACC minus any two teams will not still be a "BCS" conference is being unrealistic. even if they didn't further cherry pick from the BE, a conference of VTech(or Clemson/FSU), Miami, UVA, UNC, NCState, UMD, Wake, Duke, BC, GeorgiaTech, Cuse and Pitt will be a major conference, and a far cry from CUSA v2.0. i hate to say it to those that for some reason seem to want to see the NBE fail, but the NBE is safe as a power conference as well.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
i hate to say it to those that for some reason seem to want to see the NBE fail, but the NBE is safe as a power conference as well.

In my opinion, we SHOULD be a power conference and I think we would be, if we could stop the tsunami of bad press that keeps coming our way. Boise, Ville, Cincy, USF, UConn, Rutgers, Houston, SMU, Navy, Temple, SDSU, UCF, Memphis. There is a lot of quality there, regardless of what others (or we) keep saying about it. Maybe half of the problem is that our own fans don't believe in the quality, so others are having a hard time believing too...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Right now we are considered the "6th" conference with the ACC the "5th" Flipping those positions helps the Big East, even though it doesn't get them into the 'big 4'.

If the ACC gets gutted, the BE may pick up a couple of decent football programs. Alternatively, there will be the possibility of a new "Big East Coast Conference" that makes geographic sense that UConn has the opportunity to join. Either of those (and the second one may be just outside the "likely to happen" metric) are a benefit to us.

Reaction Score
Right now we are considered the "6th" conference with the ACC the "5th" Flipping those positions helps the Big East, even though it doesn't get them into the 'big 4'.

If the ACC gets gutted, the BE may pick up a couple of decent football programs. Alternatively, there will be the possibility of a new "Big East Coast Conference" that makes geographic sense that UConn has the opportunity to join. Either of those (and the second one may be just outside the "likely to happen" metric) are a benefit to us.

the ACC will never drop below* the BE b/c they'll always be able to take our top teams. even if all 4 of FSU, Clemson, VTech and Miami all leave the ACC i think we can all agree it'd be a pretty devastating to the ACC, but does anyone here really think UConn/Rutgers/Louisville/whoever wouldn't still jump at the chance to join them? it might be a tougher decision than today, but they'll still go

* i want to add the caveat that i'm talking about media deals and perceived strength here, not play on the field. otherwise we already passed them, but while play on the field can be subjective, $ is not.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the ACC will never drop below* the BE b/c they'll always be able to take our top teams. even if all 4 of FSU, Clemson, VTech and Miami all leave the ACC i think we can all agree it'd be a pretty devastating to the ACC, but does anyone here really think UConn/Rutgers/Louisville/whoever wouldn't still jump at the chance to join them? it might be a tougher decision than today, but they'll still go

* i want to add the caveat that i'm talking about media deals and perceived strength here, not play on the field. otherwise we already passed them, but while play on the field can be subjective, $ is not.
I'd say it depends. If we have a deal in place that is ACC $ or more, then maybe not.

Reaction Score
personally i think the chances of the ACC being marginalized to the point where there's only 4 conferences vying for the NC are very far fetched. IMO anyone that thinks the ACC minus any two teams will not still be a "BCS" conference is being unrealistic. even if they didn't further cherry pick from the BE, a conference of VTech(or Clemson/FSU), Miami, UVA, UNC, NCState, UMD, Wake, Duke, BC, GeorgiaTech, Cuse and Pitt will be a major conference, and a far cry from CUSA v2.0. i hate to say it to those that for some reason seem to want to see the NBE fail, but the NBE is safe as a power conference as well.

Not according to Neinas: “@dennisdoddcbs: Neinas: "It's no secret. We meet and talk about the Big 5." That does not include Big East.”

Reaction Score

I fully agree with this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I agree as well. I am constantly amazed at the attitudes of people on the board regarding the ACC. Did UConn get screwed by the process? Of course. But the reality is that the conference we soon find ourselves in contains only one team that could reasonably be called a rival, and three others that were themselves semi-recent additions. What is with this irrational loyalty to Houston, CFU, Boise, Memphis, SMU and SDSU? We haven't even played a single game with them in a conference yet, in any sport. God help me, I hope we never do. Meanwhile, the ACC, has Miami, VT, BC, Syracuse and Pitt, who are both longer term rivals and far more compatible institutions. As for BC, I miss them. Life as a Red Sox or Yankees fan isn't the same without the team you love to hate, and they are it for us.

The ACC already merged with the Big East. If by some miracle they finish the merger by adding UConn and Rutgers, we should be thrilled. And such a conference, composed of almost every D1A football playing university on the each coast, from Boston to North Carolina, with split territory south of that, would be very difficult to marginalize. The political clout of the state institutions involved would assure it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree as well. I am constantly amazed at the attitudes of people on the board regarding the ACC. Did UConn get screwed by the process? Of course. But the reality is that the conference we soon find ourselves in contains only one team that could reasonably be called a rival, and three others that were themselves semi-recent additions. What is with this irrational loyalty to Houston, CFU, Boise, Memphis, SMU and SDSU? We haven't even played a single game with them in a conference yet, in any sport. God help me, I hope we never do. Meanwhile, the ACC, has Miami, VT, BC, Syracuse and Pitt, who are both longer term rivals and far more compatible institutions. As for BC, I miss them. Life as a Red Sox or Yankees fan isn't the same without the team you love to hate, and they are it for us.

The ACC already merged with the Big East. If by some miracle they finish the merger by adding UConn and Rutgers, we should be thrilled. And such a conference, composed of almost every D1A football playing university on the each coast, from Boston to North Carolina, with split territory south of that, would be very difficult to marginalize. The political clout of the state institutions involved would assure it.

Well said. I can't see anything special about whatever conference we're currently in. There is one team that's actually a rival, Rutgers. For that we should be happy? I can't see why being in the ACC, even without FSU, Clemson, etc, is worse than being in the current disaster of a conference we're in. It's basically the original BE minus WVU (yes I know they aren't a founding member).

I know everything is being looked at from a football perspective but I think we need to also look at what our major product currently is at UConn, basketball. Does anyone truly think our program is going to excel in a conference with UCF, SMU, and Houston as yearly opponents? Even Memphis and Temple are a stretch as I don't think either will perform terribly well against UConn, Louisville, Marquette, or Cincy. I think the NBE will devalue our basketball program and without that, UConn is screwed. Football is going to take another decade to gain any relevance on the National scale. Yes, we've had success in our short tenure but no one takes us seriously and no major conference, B1G, is going to think adding UConn is worth it. So why not move to the ACC, keep basketball strong, and continue to build the football program?

I still feel that anyone who thinks hoping that UConn leaves the NBE is a bad idea is crazy. I see ZERO positives from staying in this conference. Even the new TV deal will be at MOST, equivalent to the ACC deal.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Lots of good, reasonable points being made here. If both conferences still exist the ACC will be perceived as better than the BE, even if they lose FSU/Clemson. I do think the NNBE would have a shot at getting to #5 but it would take at least a few years. And even with new TV deals those years are uncertain, what with the new playoffs taking shape. The question for UConn shouldn't be which conference can get more TV money (and if we get more in the NNBE it will not be by a wide margin) but where we have a better chance of staying at the Big Boy table. For all their potential, I don't think SMU, Houston, Memphis Boise and the rest increases those odds. But hey, what do I know.

Also, despite the reasonable points being made I doubt they will cause too many of the folks on the other side of the debate to rethink their positions. But until UConn has an invitation to another conference, it doesn't matter too much either way, just fans having a discussion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In a shocking twist it turns out most people are reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom