What is the plan with the Athletic Department? | The Boneyard

What is the plan with the Athletic Department?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Manuel and Herbst can not be silent with the C7 going. If the plan is to stay at a national level and they will spend what it takes to do that, then tell us. If the plan is to "live within our means" and fans need to reset expectations, then tell us. If there is no plan at all, then tell us. Silence implies that they hope no one is paying attention.

Reaction Score
They signed Ollie to a long-term contract that is reasonable in terms of cost and brought on a bunch of former players as assistants. They kept PP and let all of his assistants go, replacing one with a cheap "coach-in-waiting". I'm pretty sure that's the plan

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I am by no means a Warde or Herbst fan, but at this point, the majority of this process is out of our hands, the only things we can control (besides PR/Marketing) we seem to have under control:

Breaking ground on a new basketball practice facility?
Signing Coach Ollie to a 5 year deal?
Removing our incompetent offensive coordinator with some new blood in TJ Weist?

You're being completely unrealistic and I think intentionally obtuse to try and whine about the situation.

We all hate where we are, but nothing Warde or Susan is going to say right now is going to change that our how feel as fans towards the situation.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Didn't we all decide to shut it down?

Reaction Score
Warde is too busy working on the 2014 OOC schedule to worry about such trifles as having the conference lose 14 members and its name. To address such nuisances demeans the office of Athletic Director and I expect nothing but rudderless silence from our guitar hero.

Reaction Score
They signed Ollie to a long-term contract that is reasonable in terms of cost and brought on a bunch of former players as assistants. They kept PP and let all of his assistants go, replacing one with a cheap "coach-in-waiting". I'm pretty sure that's the plan

What are you talking about with "let all his assistants go"??

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Didn't we all decide to shut it down?

Well, one day we decided to shut it down, but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....

Reaction Score
Manuel and Herbst can not be silent with the C7 going.

Why can't they be silent? What are you going to do if they are silent? C'mon Boneyard Bully, let us know what you are going to do? Please tell us you will root for another team.

Go away Boneyard Bully.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We are winners who like to win, so that's the plan. Watch how are upgrade to HE goes to get a sense of the future. I am predicting we never play a game there.

Reaction Score
We are winners who like to win, so that's the plan. Watch how are upgrade to HE goes to get a sense of the future. I am predicting we never play a game there.

Why... Whole different dynamic.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Why... Whole different dynamic.
We are already half-assing it with the games in Hartford and trying to make the tiny tool shed on campus work. There will be no extra funds floating around for an appropriate facility, not to mention adding all the extra scholarships the upgrade will require.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, one day we decided to shut it down, but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....but then the next day we should shut it down...then the next day we vaulted up to #4 on the B1G's wish list....

Thank you. You'd think the #4 on the Big 10 list made it obvious he's just screwing around but some actually buy into it.

Reaction Score
We are already half-assing it with the games in Hartford and trying to make the tiny tool shed on campus work. There will be no extra funds floating around for an appropriate facility, not to mention adding all the extra scholarships the upgrade will require.

The games at the XL are there for the same reason MBB/WBB are there - political and $ so I don't agree it's being half-assed in that respect. Agree it's not the best situation long term (especially with challenge of weekend games) but short term will have to work. HE will come to fruition..

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the league was producing $5-7MM a year from the TV contract, there would have been reason for optimism. We would have been able to hang around the hoop for a few years until we got a break. Instead, UConn has had its conference revenue cut in half while every other league, including the MWC, is looking at 2x or better. BCU is going to generate 10x the revenue from their league that UConn will get from its league.

There is absolutely no way to compete. We are going to have coordinators leave in the future to be position coaches at places like BCU.

Just as a reminder, it is not my fault that UConn is in this position. If someone wants to be positive, explain to me how UConn can compete instead of attacking me all the time. When I proposed a plan for how UConn could compete, I got scorched earth, but today my plan doesn't seem so bad any more.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It comes down to:

1) Coaching
2) Brand
3) Facilities
4) Competition/League
5) National Exposure/TV
6) Academics

Right now in hoops we can offer everything except for a mediocre league and the exposure on ESPN remains to be seen (I would expect if we're ranked we'll have our fair share on ESPN/ESPN2).

For football, you're right, it's a tough hill to climb out of. We can offer top rate facilities and try to sell recruits on how we send a good amount of kids to the pros for a growing program. The league is a tough, tough sell. There is no arguing that. We have to hope that Pasqualoni continues to recruit well and that a combination of Whitmer/Lagow/Boyle + Weist is the answer.

Revenue wise, the gap is only going to get bigger as the years go by. There is no other end game than eventually getting a lift raft to another conference.

If we join the C7 today and try and stash the football program away in the MAC/Indy, the hopes of ever getting that lift raft go away.

I couldn't be more confident about the direction (conference affiliation aside) of our hoops program under Ollie.

I am absolutely not a P fan, but I have to give the man credit for this recruiting class. I am cautiously optimistic about the future of the program though I suspect next year will be difficult.

You keep proposing this 'what to do, what direction do we take' question as if there is a right answer. There just isn't some magic 8 ball that's going to solve all of our problems.

I truly don't believe conference expansion is done just yet. I look at the B1G Network model and I just feel like there is a lot of revenue being left on the table if they sit at 14. We tread water now and hopefully at some point we make our way into a reconstituted ACC with most of our old conference mates aside from WVU and Rutgers.

So there it is, you asked a question, this is the only answer.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I actually think the league is less damaging for football than hoops. UCF, USF, Cincinnati and Houston have all been Top 20 programs in recent years. ECU pulls an upset every other year or so, and unless you are the SEC, it is hard to recruit by selling recruits you will play the best of the best anyway.

Basketball is tough. RPI matters, and after Temple, Memphis and Cincinnati, the RPI hit from league games is going to be big.

The revenue is a baseball bat to the knees. I was not nearly this negative until that contract came out. Even when the first rumors bubbled up, I still thought there would be a back door, or lots of Tier 3 or something to add a little lipstick to the pic. Unfortunately, the contract just looks worse the more people look at it. It is a death sentence.

Reaction Score
If the league was producing $5-7MM a year from the TV contract, there would have been reason for optimism. We would have been able to hang around the hoop for a few years until we got a break. Instead, UConn has had its conference revenue cut in half while every other league, including the MWC, is looking at 2x or better. BCU is going to generate 10x the revenue from their league that UConn will get from its league.

There is absolutely no way to compete. We are going to have coordinators leave in the future to be position coaches at places like BCU.

Just as a reminder, it is not my fault that UConn is in this position. If someone wants to be positive, explain to me how UConn can compete instead of attacking me all the time. When I proposed a plan for how UConn could compete, I got scorched earth, but today my plan doesn't seem so bad any more.

No, it still seems bad.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Why can't they be silent? What are you going to do if they are silent? C'mon Boneyard Bully, let us know what you are going to do? Please tell us you will root for another team.

Go away Boneyard Bully.

I think Boneyard Braying Donkey is more appropriate.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I actually think the league is less damaging for football than hoops. UCF, USF, Cincinnati and Houston have all been Top 20 programs in recent years. ECU pulls an upset every other year or so, and unless you are the SEC, it is hard to recruit by selling recruits you will play the best of the best anyway.

Basketball is tough. RPI matters, and after Temple, Memphis and Cincinnati, the RPI hit from league games is going to be big.

The revenue is a baseball bat to the knees. I was not nearly this negative until that contract came out. Even when the first rumors bubbled up, I still thought there would be a back door, or lots of Tier 3 or something to add a little lipstick to the pic. Unfortunately, the contract just looks worse the more people look at it. It is a death sentence.
For once I totally agree with you

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The plan is virtually make any team have to basicaly go undefeated during conference play to have any shot at making an NCAA Tournament for any sport.

Reaction Score
I'm sure UConn could buy the rights to its tv games and resell them to the local market for a healthy profit. It would be stupid to agree to an even split of revenue with crap schools that don't give a damn about basketball.

Reaction Score
Well, that may be but we've already added several scholarship players for 2013-14 so...

Reaction Score
What do you want them to say Nelson? They are trying to deal with a future as a mid-major. I doubt they expected that. That is the reality of where we find ourselves right now. I suspect the goal is to try and be the dominant team in the new conference. Is that a realistic goal? Seems that it might be. Certainly it is on the basketball side, though it remains to be seen whether it can continue. It clearly is on the football side, but whether it can be actually pulled off is the question, especially with this staff, is a serious question.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes, the basketball is much worse than the football. But please remember, UConn, Cinci and USF are sitting on some 60-70 million in exit fees, plus an even larger number than that in NCAA credits. We still have money coming in from our marketing deal as well. So we have enough money to continue to run the department as it has been for a good 4-5 years or so. After that, if we haven't moved, it will be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom