What is it about this team? | The Boneyard

What is it about this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me start off with I feel the frustration as well. UConn has played a brand of football that has sucked for far too long. It is unacceptable. Makes the blood boil.

But what is it about this particular program that makes it so easy for people to jump ship? We've all seen the posts of people who are #done with UConn football. And if you are anything like me, you've heard it in other ways from people who don't spend an inordinate amount of time on the Boneyard (we can refer to this demographic as "sane"). "UConn should downgrade their program." "I will never renew my season tickets." "UConn should just fold up shop altogether."

It just feels to me that nobody does this with any other local club. Some of you folks I'm sure are Jets fans. Some Knicks. A huge portion of CT sports fans pre-2004 rooted for decades of inept Red Sox teams. I personally have sat through Giants games in the Meadowlands where I wasn't even sure if the game I was watching was football. But we always come back. We like particular sports. And we like our particular teams, so we just do it.

But UConn football seems different. It's not the part about getting down on the team. I get that. But an overwhelming segment of the fan base seems to effortlessly make the decision that they are casting the team aside forever. When you say you're "done" .... are you? Do you not like college football anymore? Do you like a different team now? It boggles my mind.

I can't help but love college football. Ours might not be a fun or exciting version of the game, but its ours. I admit to turning off the TV during blowouts and sometimes skipping the last few games of the season, but in my heart of hearts I know that: (i) come next August I won't have it in me to feel anything but hope springing eternal; and (ii) there is zero chance I am picking a different team to root for. It would be like telling the tiger to change his stripes. It would be like telling the Mets fan to root for the Yankees.

Just kinda seems like UConn football gets held to a different standard. Namaste or something. Everybody grab a beer and relax.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Safe to say there are major leadership issues in the locker room.

Some between players and some between players and coaches.

I have zero insight into this locker room but almost every time a team disintegrates within a season the resulting investigation finds locker room dissention.

Most of us agree that Bob is nuts and delusional but I believe him when he talks about regaining trust and passion from the players

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Let me start off with I feel the frustration as well. UConn has played a brand of football that has sucked for far too long. It is unacceptable. Makes the blood boil.

But what is it about this particular program that makes it so easy for people to jump ship? We've all seen the posts of people who are #done with UConn football. And if you are anything like me, you've heard it in other ways from people who don't spend an inordinate amount of time on the Boneyard (we can refer to this demographic as "sane"). "UConn should downgrade their program." "I will never renew my season tickets." "UConn should just fold up shop altogether."

It just feels to me that nobody does this with any other local club. Some of you folks I'm sure are Jets fans. Some Knicks. A huge portion of CT sports fans pre-2004 rooted for decades of inept Red Sox teams. I personally have sat through Giants games in the Meadowlands where I wasn't even sure if the game I was watching was football. But we always come back. We like particular sports. And we like our particular teams, so we just do it.

But UConn football seems different. It's not the part about getting down on the team. I get that. But an overwhelming segment of the fan base seems to effortlessly make the decision that they are casting the team aside forever. When you say you're "done" .... are you? Do you not like college football anymore? Do you like a different team now? It boggles my mind.

I can't help but love college football. Ours might not be a fun or exciting version of the game, but its ours. I admit to turning off the TV during blowouts and sometimes skipping the last few games of the season, but in my heart of hearts I know that: (i) come next August I won't have it in me to feel anything but hope springing eternal; and (ii) there is zero chance I am picking a different team to root for. It would be like telling the tiger to change his stripes. It would be like telling the Mets fan to root for the Yankees.

Just kinda seems like UConn football gets held to a different standard. Namaste or something. Everybody grab a beer and relax.

Nominee for Post of the Year. Outstanding on every level. And 100% accurate.

Reaction Score
Think it's the lack of hope, combined with the ridiculous rhetoric, add in the inane Connflict 'rivalry' and the vineyard vine pants which makes the program a laughingstock plus the schedule plus the most expensive tickets in the AAC plus being left at the altar of realignment plus astate economy lagging the national recovery ..... I'm done spending my hard earned money for this. But I'll always root for them

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I don't think they are held to a different standard. They have been bad for years at this point - classes have arrived and graduated from UConn without ever knowing UConn Football and "success" in the same sentence.

Consecutive years of poor performance leads to declines in fan interest. Anywhere. BC is just one example. Additionally, UConn hasn't established a century long track record of football fan building that can ride out this exceptionally long sub par stretch. They had a pretty good decade (being generous, the start was rocky) starting off in D1. They've been bad almost as long as they've been good at this point.

Consecutive years of good performance will lead to increase in fan interest. People will start to come back when it is fun to do so. We can debate if winning or points are the most important factor but it better be fun.

If you think this is fun, well... you are in the minority. I still go but it is not fun.

Reaction Score

Good post. The fair weather fans are found among all sports teams, pro or college.
For what its worth, in 1976, I saw BC top defending National Champion Texas at Alumni in the opener for both teams. BC went 8-3 that season. We're on our way right ? Wrong. Less than 2 years later ( '78) BC went winless at 0-11. They lost to ' Nova, Holy Cross, Umass ( shut out 27-0 ) and the team had to go to Tokyo for the last regular season game, and lost to Temple there. So BC football is now phucked forever right ? Might as well find something else to do in the Fall, right ? Nope. Hung in there, and in less than 4 years later, BC is beating Penn State, Alabama, Texas A& M, Auburn, abd the like. So, now BC is on its way to the bigtime for sure now, right ? Nope.. in the late 80's, BC is back losing again, and it looks like the roof has fallen in. So BC football is surely phucked as a program NOW, right ? Nope, BC comes back in just a couple of more years in the mid 90's, and is beating ND, Florida State, Penn State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and the like, and winning 6 out of 8 bowl games. BC loses its coach, and in the 2000's the team goes backwards again. Then it puts together a year to get to the ACC Championship Game, and loss that in the final seconds. But BC is on its way to greatness surely now in the ACC, right ? Nope. BC gets to 2015, 2016, and its at the bottom of the ACC, and looks like they will be phucked and be there till forever, right ? Nope. Probably not. With history as our guide for these things, its more than likely that the rollar coaster ride will continue like it has the last 40 years, for the next 40 years. Whats this got to do with Uconn, and its fans ? It tells us that the ones who stick with Uconn football when the down times arrive , will enjoy the returning good years SOOOO much better when the teanm returns to winning years again ( and they will ) than the alleged " fans " who tell us they will only support the team when the team frankly least needs its support.

Reaction Score
If you think this is fun, well... you are in the minority. I still go but it is not fun.
I definitely don't think this season is fun. And I get those who are not into it. I probably will have better plans on Friday night than attending the game. Especially if the weather is garbage.

But, there's a weird overreaction that happens every single year with this team and I think it unfairly damages the perception of UConn football which unfortunately becomes reality. Some sort of bizarre contagious breed of bi-polarity and East Hartford is ground zero. We may not have 100 years of college football excellence, but we've watched UConn field teams for at least that long.* Considering the fact that we were playing glorified Pop Warner for most of that history, we should theoretically be even more cognizant of who and what we are. I am not saying we should be accepting of our obvious deficiencies, but I am self-aware enough to know that next year I'll be chomping at the bit for kick off after the off-season. I think if a lot of people are honest with themselves they are probably the same way, even if they are saying something completely different right now.

Be pissed off. Criticize the coach. Be disappointed in the players. Harass the yellow-jacketed Nazis who don't let us throw footballs during the tailgate. But if you really didn't answer the question "Am I done?" with a yes, then don't feed the trolls and say that you are. Just go watch a Men's bball game or a movie or something and come back when you've cooled off.

*See this link. Also...feel free to modify the page by making up hilarious facts and let us know so we can all have a much deserved laugh.

Reaction Score
I will stick with this team for my entire life, but that being said, here are a list of reasons why others might not (and why they can't be blamed if they don't):

1. Conference realignment has been donkey-fist after donkey-fist. How many times can we be left at the altar.

2. Edsall was decent. I always thought he put a ceiling on us that he thought we couldn't break through, and coached that way when it came to game planning, and recruiting. But there was moderate success while he was here. But, even that was a crap brand of football most of the time. Never anything that would excite people, and draw fans who weren't die hards...imo. Even during that time, we had 1 really solid QB, and another good one that couldnt get off the weed. People love QB play.

3. PP. Not only was he the worst head coach in the history of football...but he happened at the worst possible time. We needed 2 damn years of good football and we would have been in the ACC. Instead....Donkey-fist.

4. Casey Cochran. FINALLY WE HAVE A GREAT QB. Retired 4 games into his career: Donkey-fist.

5. Fiesta Bowl. It was so cool that we got here. It was a major disappointment that we were beaten so badly. No one thought we should win that game, but we were pretty well blasted. Add to this the narrative that we don't sell BCS bowl game tickets, and that didn't help anything either; realignment included.

6. Diaco. More like Dionko-fist.

7. HOPE. We have been given hope so many times, and each time it has been ripped away from us. Usually in a way that embarrasses us nationally somehow.

I could keep going. I'll probably think of 4 more before bed tonight. It's not that difficult to find reasons to jump ship. Frankly, it's harder for a non die-hard to find reasons to stick it out.

Again...I'm not going anywhere. But i don't have a problem with anyone who wants to do something non soul-crushing on a Saturday afternoon for a while. I will continue to have my soul crushed....but i'm starting to see fewer and fewer people alongside me. And maybe that's the only real way to initiate the change that needs to happen right now. Because we all know it can't stay the same.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Safe to say there are major leadership issues in the locker room.

Some between players and some between players and coaches.

I have zero insight into this locker room but almost every time a team disintegrates within a season the resulting investigation finds locker room dissention.

Most of us agree that Bob is nuts and delusional but I believe him when he talks about regaining trust and passion from the players

Locker room issues and losing go hand in hand. It's just a question of which is the cause and which is the effect. If there are locker room issues on this team, I'd guess that it's a result of losing--no losing team will have a happy locker room.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'd say that UCONN football fans have actually been relatively resilient, considering what most CT sports fans act like. Six losing seasons in a row can be a tough pill to swallow for any fan, much less one from our region.

What you'll find, I think, is that 90% of the "I'm done" crowd will be back, simply because they are Boneyard members. If you are psychotic enough to voluntarily come to this place on a regular basis, you ain't goin' anywhere.

In the immortal words of The Eagles, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"...

Reaction Score
I'd say that UCONN football fans have actually been relatively resilient, considering what most CT sports fans act like. Six losing seasons in a row can be a tough pill to swallow for any fan, much less one from our region.

What you'll find, I think, is that 90% of the "I'm done" crowd will be back, simply because they are Boneyard members. If you are psychotic enough to voluntarily come to this place on a regular basis, you ain't goin' anywhere.

In the immortal words of The Eagles, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"...
Dan, too early for a prediction of our record in 2017?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
One factor that I think plays into what the OP is getting at is the success of other programs within the AD. Men's and Women's Basketball are blue-blood programs that expect national title contention year in and year out, and have seen plenty of success in that area. Soccer and field hockey have won titles in the past too. The school as a whole has also been blessed with Hall of Fame coaches in multiple sports and countless alumni who are all-stars in their professional leagues. So for the average UConn fan, there's a certain standard of excellence they expect, and as a result the football program's lack of progress frustrates them even more when they have to compare it to basketball.

Something that's also been mentioned in a different context is the youth of certain fans. Some who were born into the throes of Calhoun and Geno's first successes don't know what it's like to suffer through the long build it takes to create a contender. They're just used to championships and successful pros and don't comprehend that it didn't happen overnight.

Reaction Score
I have liked Uconn football since I was a little kid 40 years ago. I have never been able to buy season tickets between working most Saturdays and getting out late during the week. My first game was at Memorial Stadium. I took my kids and stood next to the players as they were getting ready to run on the field. I don't know the year but think it was against the mighty Ohio Bobcats and I talked to Deon Andersons father for a bit just after they ran on the field. It was Deons freshman year so whenever that was I've had the bug since. It always bothered me that fans either didn't go in to the game, went in late, or left very early. I sat in the end zone for the last Temple home game and watched the crowd and for the first time understood their side of the story. I've never went in late and always leave after the game and completely understand now there are people way deeper into UCONN than I am and I get it. I'm going to go the games, early and stay late. I hope the people who have given up reconsider but definitely respect it. The last games at home I'll be thinking of all the fans and players past and present and will be loud as hell for them. See y'all at the game, go for #6 Jazz if that gets ya pumped.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's really this. I don't think anyone on here is actually saying they're done with UConn football and moving on to a new team. In fact I can't seem to find or recall anyone saying that. Almost all of the threads suggest that fans are done with this season and losing interest fast. We've also seen that people plan to not buy season tickets anymore if this continues and I don't blame them one bit. However, none of those people are saying they won't still be cheering for the tare am at home while watching them on tv or won't be back in the stands for games throughout the season. I think you over generalized a bit on your post. Everyone who posted they're done will be back here next season suffering with the rest of us.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
In an odd way, it's almost a testament to the fan base that 20k still show up most games and reach 30k based on opponent/weather.

In a cruel twist of fate, the programs highest point was running out on to the field of the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma and ever since then it's been nothing but down hill with countless mishaps either by ourselves (P, Diaco) or thing out of our hands (CR).

I think the one thing that always brings sports fans back is hope and due to our league situation it's almost hard to even sell people on that.

I think I missed maybe 7 or so games from 2005 to 2014 and finally gave up my season tickets last season (disclaimer: getting to the games from NYC without a car sucks) but I just couldn't take it anymore. I went to Navy last year, Cuse this year and going to BC in a couple weeks and I'll still watch the games but the investment (time primarily) of dedicating 2/3 of my weekend to the games just wasn't worth it anymore for me.

Reaction Score
Again...I'm not going anywhere. But i don't have a problem with anyone who wants to do something non soul-crushing on a Saturday afternoon for a while.
Understood and agree w/ your post for the most part. but why do "they" feel the need to come here and make proclamation after proclamation about it? It's always the same few (and yes, the posting history bears it out). If you're done and want to jump ship - be done with it... walk the plank and swim away. Stop coming back here to whine about it. The "hey, look at me crap" is what gets old.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Understood and agree w/ your post for the most part. but why do "they" feel the need to come here and make proclamation after proclamation about it? It's always the same few (and yes, the posting history bears it out). If you're done and want to jump ship - be done with it... walk the plank and swim away. Stop coming back here to whine about it.

Oh, I am so done with reading these posts about people being done with other people who happen to post that they are done with UCONN football....I'm SO done with it... ;)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In an odd way, it's almost a testament to the fan base that 20k still show up most games and reach 30k based on opponent/weather.

In a cruel twist of fate, the programs highest point was running out on to the field of the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma and ever since then it's been nothing but down hill with countless mishaps either by ourselves (P, Diaco) or thing out of our hands (CR).

I think the one thing that always brings sports fans back is hope and due to our league situation it's almost hard to even sell people on that.

I think I missed maybe 7 or so games from 2005 to 2014 and finally gave up my season tickets last season (disclaimer: getting to the games from NYC without a car sucks) but I just couldn't take it anymore. I went to Navy last year, Cuse this year and going to BC in a couple weeks and I'll still watch the games but the investment (time primarily) of dedicating 2/3 of my weekend to the games just wasn't worth it anymore for me.
You are so right on with your first point. Given the national perception of our program and fan base you'd think we have 15k people showing up. Given that everyone and their mother says we are one of the worst football teams in America, averaging 28k fans is not too shabby.

Reaction Score
Think it's the lack of hope, combined with the ridiculous rhetoric, add in the inane Connflict 'rivalry' and the vineyard vine pants which makes the program a laughingstock plus the schedule plus the most expensive tickets in the AAC plus being left at the altar of realignment plus astate economy lagging the national recovery ..... I'm done spending my hard earned money for this. But I'll always root for them
Ill add one more thing, the drunken culture at The Rent is wearing thin on me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I haven't read the responses to you but I think the dynamic is clear.

Very few paid attention to UConn football prior to 2003. The fanbase is made of adults who made a conscious decision to be fans - it wasn't something that was part of their youth.

Many of these fans are used to a ridiculous level of success in both men's and women's basketball.

Combine the lack of success in football magnified by the success in basketball... I understand why people aren't emotionally engaged.

When you don't have fans who had the love of the program ingrained in them early they aren't going to be as patient.

Edit: It's not a popular opinion on the BY - but the support for women's basketball is a net negative with respect to how the school's athletic program is viewed nationally.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I haven't read the responses to you but I think the dynamic is clear.

Very few paid attention to UConn football prior to 2003. The fanbase is made of adults who made a conscious decision to be fans - it wasn't something that was part of their youth.

Many of these fans are used to a ridiculous level of success in both men's and women's basketball.

Combine the lack of success in football magnified by the success in basketball... I understand why people aren't emotionally engaged.

When you don't have fans who had the love of the program ingrained in them early they aren't going to be as patient.

Edit: It's not a popular opinion on the BY - but the support for women's basketball is a net negative with respect to how the school's athletic program is viewed nationally.
I've been saying your last point for a while. We will always be a considered a "women's basketball school" (by morons but that's a lot of people) regardless of the success of any of our programs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've been saying your last point for a while. We will always be a considered a "women's basketball school" (by morons but that's a lot of people) regardless of the success of any of our programs.

The irony of course for those of us that live here is that a tiny percentage of people care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom