What improvement would you like to see from the returning Huskies ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What improvement would you like to see from the returning Huskies ?

Reaction Score
I think all three pretty much disappeared. If only one of them played like they were capable, the outcome would have been different.
You are comparing their games on Friday? I guess you're suggesting that only Gabby played that night, right? I couldn't disagree more that you would put them in the same category. I really don't want to diminish anyone on the team because over the season they've all contributed at a high level but if you're just talking about this singular game and you think there's no distinction between their performances, I'm stunned. I'd suggest you watch the game over and over until you get it.

Reaction Score
I don't agree at all. Dangerfield got a quick hook against either UCLA or Oregon after she got lost on defense too easily and gave up a layup. And she was the most highly regarded freshman in the country. Bent and Irwin were good players, but to think they could have played against Miss St and they could have pressured more without giving up more is ludicrous. It's easy to think what coulda been, especially after Miss St took all the effort to beat the undefeated, undisputed top team in the country and then turned around and coughed it up against South Carolina, but they way they played on Friday, I don't think there is a chance in hell that Bent, Irwin, or Butler make a difference in that game in the second half, at least not for the better.
Nat made a difference in that game and it wasn't a positive one. Her physical skills were severely challenged. In the limited time she was in the game, she was a liability. I've never seen her not give her best effort but the Huskies needed more than she could provide, to say the least.

Reaction Score
No idea how silly it may or may not sound. Just know what I've been seeing watching college ball for three or four decades now. And as I mentioned earlier, in case you missed it, Auriemma has pointed out repeatedly that whatever happened in high school doesn't count at all with regard to playing time. What strikes me as silly is expecting that the incomings will already have the working understanding of what it takes to play UConn offense and defense well enough to start. I expect to read that on certain other boards where the contributors exist on wildly unrealistic expectations. I suppose if it works for them...
I think just about anyone here on the Boneyard knows that it is rare indeed for anyone to come to Storrs as a freshman and contribute a great deal, especially initially though we have had exceptions. I think Ms Walker might be someone who provides some serious minutes at some point next season though it's likely it won't be immediately but there may be others who inevitably help, as well. Meanwhile, the two transfers are who most people are expecting to contribute in a very positive way, in particular inside where we had a serious deficit in depth and size.

Reaction Score
I'm just amazed that someone would want Gabby to work on hitting threes. That is not her game ad eve in the new UConn configuration, it probably never will be., She needs to be able to hit the midrange jumper. You know, the shot every announcer says is almost extinct in the women's game? With her inside moves, the ability to consistently hit a midrange shot will make her virtually unstoppable. If she spends time on threes, she won't have the time she needs to perfect her game. Simple as that.

Other than that, Pheesa getting maybe a bit stronger. I think we can bet she is not likely to have a game like the MSU game again. Others have critiqued Katie Lou's game, and I think they're right. Also spot on are comments about Crystal. Let's hope for a sophomore leap, rather than a jump. If Natalie continues to improve at the same rate as between last year and this year, I think we'll be happy with the result.
I think we're unlikely to see much change in Natalie because she's limited by a lack of quickness and instinctive reactions to game situations against athletic teams. Against others, she's a plus and can help spotting up and relieving others. How is she much different than Heather Buck who had size, as well? I do think that Gabby made major strides this year in her offensive game and I think she'll only get better. I was very pleased with her shooting touch and I wouldn't have guessed she would have made the strides she did prior to this season. I don't think anyone on this team got beaten up to the extent that KLS did and it seems anytime she penetrated, she was smacked around, often taking shots to the head and I can't believe that some of that stuff was tolerated. I don't have a recollection of anyone getting hit upside the head as much as she was this year and I mean EVER!

Reaction Score
I think Crystal needs to really work on her decision making. I saw her often make poor decisions including dribbling too much along with bad shot making choices.
I think you should stop picking on an 18 year old kid. PERIOD. You should make better choices about your life.

Reaction Score
With all of that talent available, I would like to see 10 players that have significant roles if they earn it in practice especially during the cupcake part of the season. If a player gets a foul in the first quarter, sit the player, give them a rest, and use a highly qualified substitute. Give experience to the incoming freshman while the bulk of the starters are on the floor so that they can build confidence and skill sets. Let Geno be Geno.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I want to see a change in Geno. Assuming nobody leaves and all the transfers stay and all the freshman still come, he will have very deep and talented team. But, he has a tendency to not use his bench a lot, even when he has deep teams. I never understood why he didn't play Butler, Bent or Irwin more. When he was leading by 30, how much could they have hurt by playing in the second quarter against the other teams first team. That would valuable experience.

The key to beating Miss State was to pressure the ball and taking them out of their rhythm, but it really wasn't possible because he never got the above players ready to be in those situations.

It will be interesting next year because he will have 11 or 12 players who have credentials to play a lot of college minutes.
This is hysterical- you've got a good sense of humor. Geno was trying to win games and prepare for NC run. You've seen the last of Natalie Butler, Irwin and Bent. All three first rate, classy young ladies. If we see them in meaningful minutes- we won't get out of regionals. In my opinion. Geno makes that same mistake since the early 90's!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Lou played way better than Nurse or Collier did. I have no problem with her game on Friday.
Pheasant was a deer in the headlights. She was just out of it early. Getting worse with the pressure defense and every shot she missed.

Reaction Score
* Lou gets stronger physically (at least similar to the change in Pheesa from last year this year)
* Crystal Dangerfield a better mid range shot so she stops trying to take NBA 3-pt shots
* Nat, better hands and footwork, although after almost 3 years at UConn I am not holding out any real expectation.
I love Collier, but what I would love to see from her is if she plans on jacking up 3's I would like to see her hit it with some consistency.
Also Crystal from behind the arc as well....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Crystal's freshman year stacks up nicely with the great Moriah Jefferson's freshman year.

Reaction Score
1. Stepback jumper from Gabby. Absolutely unstoppable.
2. Better defense from Lou. "Some" lateral footspeed please. And at least 1 offensive rebound a game ;). ( 23 was a stretch for this year o nice stat person)
3. Azura Stevens dunking :). Just do it.

Reaction Score
I love Collier, but what I would love to see from her is if she plans on jacking up 3's I would like to see her hit it with some consistency.
Also Crystal from behind the arc as well....
Wasn't Collier a 35% 3 point shooter much of the season (probably higher than that in the second half of the season)? For comparison, by late in the season Lou was at about 42% and Kia 44%. I think Collier is a pretty good 3 point shooter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the end of last night's "March to Madness" on Tuesday following the FF, Geno is seen in his office scribbling notes on a pad. It looked to me like he was making a list of players (I assume returning players) and jotting down comments under each player's name. If I recall, Geno meets with each player at the end of every season in what amounts to an annual review. They discuss the player's goals and what steps they need to take to achieve those goals over the summer and into next season. The scene didn't focus very long on the list, so I can't tell you what Geno thought each player needed to improve upon, but it did look like there were 5-6 "action items" per player.

The good news is that the players won't have to go searching for motivation when it comes to putting in the effort necessary to improve. The loss to MS St and the strong desire to write a different ending will be more than enough for these highly motivated young ladies.

Reaction Score
ALL PLAYERS – integrate with Stevens; learn to play with her as a unit this summer before practice starts; help the coaches develop a bench which can significantly contribute in prime time; start teaching the frosh early and often this summer

Samuelson – emulate KML’s two years shooting of 49% from the arch; you were not recruited to be UCONN’s 3rd best 3FG shooter; be capable of leveraging your 6’3” inside the paint for offense, rebounds, and defense (10 blocks?); lift weights for strength not just to toned. Continue to improve at passing particularly passing into the post to Stevens

Dangerfield- Stop the high school dribble, dribble, dribble offense; get with the UCONN passing offense; be consistently very good, not intermittently; play the entire game hard; practice keeping your opponent in front of you, don’t let them dribble by at will; learn to read defenses and react appropriately; don’t worry about your points, you are the PG with scoring options galore; with this team you should be able to destroy the UCONN assists per year record not to mention the career record

Williams – continue to play with intensity but know you will make mistakes, don’t dwell on them; Geno will do that for you:p; be consistently confident, you are the best; practice intermediate jumper and 3FG (Geno may want the option at times to insert Stevens and Camara and move you to guard); watch film for ways to reduce TOs; practice with Collier, Stevens, and Camara learning to play the paint together; jump higher?! :rolleyes:

Nurse – learn to make USA layups:); same as Gabby, don’t dwell on mistakes; learn from them and move on; practice 2FG and 3FG jumpers to keep the edge you displayed this season; push KLS for best 3FG% (she needs the competition for motivation); watch film and practice PG position in case Crystal does not make the sophomore jump and to spell her

Collier – practice, practice, and practice with Stevens and Camara learning to share the post offensively and defensively; learn how to pass to each other plus integrate with Williams; work on developing a high/low game with Stevens and Williams; practice 2FG and 3FG jumpers; you may be taking more with Stevens in the paint; for God’s sake learn to defend someone (Geno made me type this:D)

Camara & Stevens – please be effective as early as possible; commit to learning to playing together as a whole with this season’s players

Megan Walker – we can only hope you are the 2nd coming of the MAYA!;) Even if in lower case.

Mikayla Coombs – hopefully your defense is as good as advertised; if so, you will see playing time

Lexie Gordon & Andra Espinoza-Hunter – at least one of you be offense of the bench

Natalie Butler: Hands...Not to rush when the ball is passed in to her. She's like a baseball hitter trying to hit a 5 run home run. Stay within yourself, and use what tools you have; Size, and a decent 12 foot jumper. Work on boxing out.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Natalie Butler: Hands...Not to rush when the ball is passed in to her. She's like a baseball hitter trying to hit a 5 run home run. Stay within yourself, and use what tools you have; Size, and a decent 12 foot jumper. Work on boxing out.

I must admit I really had great hopes and expectations for Butler. I tried to will the kid to success in every game. But not anymore. If she made even a modest improvement, it would be an amazing miracle. I would be gobsmacked! I expect nothing from Molly Bent or Kyla Irwin.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I must admit I really had great hopes and expectations for Butler. I tried to will the kid to success in every game. But not anymore. If she made even a modest improvement, it would be an amazing miracle. I would be gobsmacked!
I pulled for Nat all season as well. The difficulty for Nat next year is that even if she continues to improve, Geno has many more options: Z, Batouly, Pheeza or Gabby can all play the 4/5 spots. Kyla should also improve and there are four talented freshmen that are all going to be pushing for playing time.

Nat averaged 15.9 minutes per game this past season. It's difficult to see Nat getting that many minutes next season.

Reaction Score
Natalie: practice moving her feet on D.
Natalie: practice jumping so feet leave the floor.
Natalie: more hand strength.
Kyla: get stronger (I want to see that smile on the court more often).
Molly: practice taking every shot when open.

The rest are just fine and as they mature, decisions will get even better (they are great now).

Reaction Score
Nat made a difference in that game and it wasn't a positive one. Her physical skills were severely challenged. In the limited time she was in the game, she was a liability. I've never seen her not give her best effort but the Huskies needed more than she could provide, to say the least.

Not sure I agree with this quote. The only stats that mater is scoring more then the other team. Not saying she alone made a difference but it appears MS was stopped for a while and UCONN closes the gap while Nat plays her 6 minutes. MS figured something out and started to score again 4 minutes later.
upload_2017-4-6_19-50-39.png

The game stats clearly show the MS game was lost in the paint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield--The will to use her speed to become a defensive stopper.

Kia--Senior leadership, taking over games down the stretch.

Collier--Stepping up at the final four, she will get that chance and I believe take full advantage.

Gabby--Adjusting to moving to the wing on offense (she's already fine there on defense), being comfortable with the midrange jumper.

KLS--Consistency.

Butler--Hands. This can be improved, that was the big difference that allowed Napheesa to make the enormous gains she made this year. If she does this, she can earn significant minutes despite the deeper roster.

Bent--Confidence in her shot. She doesn't see big minutes next year, but could compete for them in her last two years.

Kyla--Continuing to develop strength and rebounding. May be more of a career long logjam for her, but she can become the kind of bench player that a coach can have full confidence won't hurt the team when called on.

Reaction Score
Can't agree more on the confidence thing with Crystal. She was very tentative as the ball handler during the MSU game and it was as big a part for the loss as anything. I could care less if Gabby spends one second developing a three point shot. If Nat hasn't further developed her hand/eye coordination by now, as well as any sort of foot speed, it ain't never going to happen. Lazy passes, coming to the ball, fending off defenders to receive passes are things which need addressing. And yes, defending that quick guard - Mitchell, William, etc. is something that needs attention, if we're even physically able. Other than that we're good to go for 2017-18..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom