What improvement would you like to see from the returning Huskies ? | The Boneyard

What improvement would you like to see from the returning Huskies ?

Reaction Score
* Lou gets stronger physically (at least similar to the change in Pheesa from last year this year)
* Crystal Dangerfield a better mid range shot so she stops trying to take NBA 3-pt shots
* Nat, better hands and footwork, although after almost 3 years at UConn I am not holding out any real expectation.

Reaction Score
Would like to see more confidence from Crystal. But I'm sure we will.

But the natural addition of a strong post player will work wonders for the team. They've battled bigs all season long. They found ways to prevail in every game- but this one. I think Azura will revolutionize UConn's game.

And add to that Walker, another front court player with talent, who can spell Napheesa and Gabby with important minutes, and I'm guessing that will also energize UConn's game.

Will be fascinated to see which of the other three freshmen emerges as a go-to player.

But they're going to be much better next year. If that's possible!

Reaction Score
I noticed during the Miss State game when they were shooting fouls how ripped Pheesa, Gabby, and Kia are. The arm extensions when shooting revealed how strong they were in their core. This is always the essential area, since when the core weakens, posture starts to go, and that effects endurance, jumping, etc. I don't know what Lou can do there, since everyone's different: I could (and have) lifted for my arms until they almost fell off, and see no difference. But obviously, somehow Lou needs to get stronger or she'll continue to get hammered in college and especially when playing pro.

BTW, I know she didn't play a great game Friday, but it wasn't a bad game. She hit a big 3 when it counted, and she calmly sunk both free throws under extreme pressure and maybe some pain.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
With Stevens on the floor, you will probably see more high low from both her and KLS. KLS has already shown she has a low post game, the problem was who can pass into the post other than Williams and KLS. The addition of Stevens who IMO brings a third option for the post entry passes along with Williams and KLS will make it really difficult for teams to cover with that length.

Reaction Score
I can't think of anything else I want to see from Gabby or Pheesa. They did everything that was asked of them and more. And with a couple more bigs available next year, I think they'll both be able to be more aggressive on the defensive end. Lou needs to get stronger, not just in-game, but over the course of the season. She really seemed to fade toward the end this year. Again, having Azura and Camara will help. I doubt anyone will be playing 40 minutes on a regular basis next year.

For the guards, more consistency and better shot selection for Crystal Dangerfield, a full recovery from the ankle injury for Kia.

And for Molly and Kyla, an opportunity to play and contribute meaningful minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to see a change in Geno. Assuming nobody leaves and all the transfers stay and all the freshman still come, he will have very deep and talented team. But, he has a tendency to not use his bench a lot, even when he has deep teams. I never understood why he didn't play Butler, Bent or Irwin more. When he was leading by 30, how much could they have hurt by playing in the second quarter against the other teams first team. That would valuable experience.

The key to beating Miss State was to pressure the ball and taking them out of their rhythm, but it really wasn't possible because he never got the above players ready to be in those situations.

It will be interesting next year because he will have 11 or 12 players who have credentials to play a lot of college minutes.

Reaction Score
a. Lou: must get stronger as she got a beat down/held in many games similar to what DT, Maya and Stewie had to endure.
She's got the whole game package (post moves, FT, mid range, long range) on offense. I'd like her as well to continue to improve on defense. While she's got much better at it, she's got a lot of room to grow in that department.
b. Gabby: needs to develop a 3 pt shot and be consistent from mid range as those are the things that will ensure her a long career at the WNBA.
c. Pheesa needs to improve on her one on one defense. She was good in help defense but was not as effective when guarding one on one.
d. Kia: needs more variety to her offensive repertoire such as to improve on her mid range game. and while she is a good defensive player, she struggled against the smaller quicker guard types so she needs to work to improve her reaction time.
e. Danger: better confidence. she's got all the tools just needs to sharpen them.
f. Butler: I don't know if it's possible at this point as it seems to me she hit a plateau but quicker reactions when she's got the ball in her hands, would go a long way to be a better player and if she could somehow improve her hands as she had issues with catching the ball.

Reaction Score
I just hope that all of these incoming freshmen are even fractionally as talented and big game ready as so many think they're going to be despite a mountain range sized pile of evidence to the contrary.....

Reaction Score
I just hope that all of these incoming freshmen are even fractionally as talented and big game ready as so many think they're going to be despite a mountain range sized pile of evidence to the contrary.....

Just curious, what do you mean by this about the incoming frosh? Have they not performed well in high school in big moments?

Reaction Score
Just curious, what do you mean by this about the incoming frosh? Have they not performed well in high school in big moments?

Don't know how many times the esteemed Mr Auriemma himself has pointed out that high school performance means nothing, nothing at all once you put on the husky uniform. High school awards and honors are just that. For high school. Over the years we've had quite a few H.S. stars make their way to UConn who despite their size and abundance of talent took a year or two or three to find their place in the scheme.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Don't know how many times the esteemed Mr Auriemma himself has pointed out that high school performance means nothing, nothing at all once you put on the husky uniform. High school awards and honors are just that. For high school. Over the years we've had quite a few H.S. stars make their way to UConn who despite their size and abundance of talent took a year or two or three to find their place in the scheme.

Spot on. The freshmen, no matter how good they are, will have a period of adjustment at UConn that is not easy at all. Penciling them into the line up in the coming November seems more than a bit dreamy. Crystal Dangerfield was the top prep point guard coming out of high school, yet both her considerable talent and her considerable struggles have been very apparent so far.

Even Stewie and Maya had their freshman "stop light." The two transfers might very well present a different level of readiness. I'd be surprised if they didn't. They've had a year of Geno's practices.

Reaction Score

Don't know why you say that, I don't think any will contribute any more than Dangerfield did, but next year there's 4 of them and with the transfers it's more than enough.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Spot on. The freshmen, no matter how good they are, will have a period of adjustment at UConn that is not easy at all. Penciling them into the line up in the coming November seems more than a bit dreamy. Crystal Dangerfield was the top prep point guard coming out of high school, yet both her considerable talent and her considerable struggles have been very apparent so far.

Even Stewie and Maya had their freshman "stop light." The two transfers might very well present a different level of readiness. I'd be surprised if they didn't. They've had a year of Geno's practices.
Stewie and Kaleena has freshman slumps. Maya finished second in the AP POY voting, so she barely hit a yellow light, except maybe when the Rutgers player tackled her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Hmmm, to me it is obvious:

1. Gabby needs to increase the reliability of her mid-range jump shot. it has already gotten fairly good, but it could be better, and then she would be unguardable. I don't think she needs to hit 3's.
  2. Napheesa needs to defend without fouling. She has been in foul trouble in nearly every game this year against a Top 10 opponent, as well as some other games. All of those games were closer than they should have been solely because of that.
  3. Lou needs to be less streaky in her 3-point shooting. I think that will happen just as a result of greater personal maturity and experience. KML was much more reliable and less streaky in her last two years than in her first two years, and I think the same thing will be true for Lou.
  4. Molly needs to think less while she is playing, and play more instinctively. And her instincts should include shooting when she is open.
I completely disagree with those who say that Geno will never play more than eight players. Go back and watch some of the games from 2000 and 2001 if you think that. I think Azura will start, Batouly and Megan Walker will get major minutes comparable to what Lou and Napheesa got as freshmen, Crystal will be the backup PG and will play more and better than she did this year, and the other freshmen and bench players will get minutes as their performance in practice warrants.

If Gabby or Napheesa show any signs of still being prone to foul trouble next year, Geno will not hesitate to replace them with Batouly and Megan, and the team will probably do almost as well with that lineup as with the starters. Even the biggest teams will have trouble out-rebounding UConn next year, and opponents will find it nearly impossible to strategize about beating UConn by getting the front court players into foul trouble.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
  1. Lou needs to be less streaky in her 3-point shooting. I think that will happen just as a result of greater personal maturity and experience. KML was much more reliable and less streaky in her last two years than in her first two years, and I think the same thing will be true for Lou.
My recollection is that Kaleena had better judgment regarding shot selection than Lou. So I'd like to see her be more judicious regarding when to launch.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Kia learn to shoot an American layup.

As I think someone mentioned above, I'd like to see Kia develop a post-up game. She's a big guard in college, and will be fairly big in the W. Take advantage of the Itty Bitties and the Cuevas-Moores of the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Would like to see more confidence from Crystal. But I'm sure we will.

But the natural addition of a strong post player will work wonders for the team. They've battled bigs all season long. They found ways to prevail in every game- but this one. I think Azura will revolutionize UConn's game.

And add to that Walker, another front court player with talent, who can spell Napheesa and Gabby with important minutes, and I'm guessing that will also energize UConn's game.

Will be fascinated to see which of the other three freshmen emerges as a go-to player.

But they're going to be much better next year. If that's possible!
Azura isn't a post player - she's a wing/guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom