What if we had actually gotten our 1st choice? | The Boneyard

What if we had actually gotten our 1st choice?

Reaction Score
Imagine what would have happened if we actually got our 1st choice of a recruit.

My top 3 in order

1 Isaiah Fox/Jamal Sampson – We missed out on both targets in the fall. Funnily enough, pretty sure that Arizona could have easily had Emeka Okafor but they didn’t recruit him and instead opted for Fox and Sampson went for 1 uninspired season at Cal.

2 Brandon Jennings – I believe we were heavy favorites for him at one point and he was a top 3 recruit. Jennings had a connection to Marcus Williams. Everyone was shocked he committed to Arizona and JC pivoted heavily to his backup option of Kemba. He didn’t qualify and went overseas.

3 Brandon Knight/Cory Joseph/Josh Selby/Doron Lamb – I have no idea what happened with Knight as we were supposed to be in the driver’s seat at one point. Joseph was the one I really wanted and I believe we came in 2nd. Shabazz really wanted to come to Uconn and I believe he re-classified and accepted the offer in the spring before Selby decided. Doron Lamb was in the same class and I think Uconn had a legit shot, but he decided to wait till spring and Jeremy Lamb signed in the fall.

Any others.

Reaction Score
that’s weird, just posted about jennings

Reaction Score
Who did we get instead of Ed Davis ? I remember he was on the cover of Husky Blue & White, and it seemed like 5 minutes after i got it in the mail, he committed to UNC. Didnt that also happen to another recruit ? Was it Jennings ?

Edit: Just looked through 24/7. Was Majok or Okwandu the backup ?

Reaction Score
i wanted brandon knight. and who was the other explosive guard from kentucky? around the ashton-langford yrs

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
My absolute favorite...

Ray Allen instead of 6'5" guard Stais Bozeman, who committed to UConn in the fall of '92, decommitted over break, and wound up at Cal.

Allen was a late riser who was largely ignored by the ACC despite being right in their backyard (only Clemson offered). Rick Pitino and Kentucky got involved late, and we had to sweat out an on-campus visit to UK, but in the end he loved Calhoun more.

Reaction Score
Imagine what would have happened if we actually got our 1st choice of a recruit.

My top 3 in order

1 Isaiah Fox/Jamal Sampson – We missed out on both targets in the fall. Funnily enough, pretty sure that Arizona could have easily had Emeka Okafor but they didn’t recruit him and instead opted for Fox and Sampson went for 1 uninspired season at Cal.

2 Brandon Jennings – I believe we were heavy favorites for him at one point and he was a top 3 recruit. Jennings had a connection to Marcus Williams. Everyone was shocked he committed to Arizona and JC pivoted heavily to his backup option of Kemba. He didn’t qualify and went overseas.

3 Brandon Knight/Cory Joseph/Josh Selby/Doron Lamb – I have no idea what happened with Knight as we were supposed to be in the driver’s seat at one point. Joseph was the one I really wanted and I believe we came in 2nd. Shabazz really wanted to come to Uconn and I believe he re-classified and accepted the offer in the spring before Selby decided. Doron Lamb was in the same class and I think Uconn had a legit shot, but he decided to wait till spring and Jeremy Lamb signed in the fall.

Any others.
Marcus Williams father, Kelly, was an assistant coach for the So-Cal All-Stars where Marcus and Brandon both played. Kelly spent a lot of time at UConn when Marcus was here. I asked him about Brandon during his recruiting frenzy and Kelly was very confident about him coming to UConn. Surprised a lot of people.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
My absolute favorite...

Ray Allen instead of 6'5" guard Stais Bozeman, who committed to UConn in the fall of '92, decommitted over break, and wound up at Cal.

Allen was a late riser who was largely ignored by the ACC despite being right in their backyard (only Clemson offered). Rick Pitino and Kentucky got involved late, and we had to sweat out an on-campus visit to UK, but in the end he loved Calhoun more.

Reaction Score
My absolute favorite...

Wow. I forgot about Bozeman.

Reaction Score
My absolute favorite...

I have zero memory of Bozeman committing. Was the same year as Corey Benjamin saying his top five were "UConn, UConn, UConn, UConn, UConn"?

Reaction Score
I have zero memory of Bozeman committing. Was the same year as Corey Benjamin saying his top five were "UConn, UConn, UConn, UConn, UConn"?
I didnt remember this, so i did a quick search and found this article about Benjamin. Recruiting has really changed :). Check out these names.

Reaction Score
The 2011 point guards are the big one. We struck out over and over until we had to settle for a guy who ended up winning two NCAA titles.
Thank you for riding the Josh Selby Experience

I remember in like that February or March, ESPN (they actually used to have really good recruiting content back then) put out an article where they projected where the top uncommitted players would go, and they picked us for Selby. I’m assuming that was before visit-gate.

Reaction Score
I think he was the same class as Rip.

Reaction Score
I remember the Knight/Joseph class well - we were heavily involved with multiple top PGs and I was convinced 1 was coming here. I also liked Joseph best.

None compares to Bazz. So happy.
I remember being so depressed that we didnt get Knight, Selby, Joseph, or D. Lamb.
Then Baz committed, and i still wasnt thrilled. Then i saw him play, and i was fine.

Then we won 2 more titles. I was also fine.

Reaction Score

My top 3 in order

Any others.
The rumor I knew at the time was Calipari's pitch to Knight was that Calhoun was old, sick, and might not be alive throughout Knight's whole career. No idea if it's true, but have hated Calipari (even more) since

Reaction Score
Not in anyone's top 5 but didn't we get Roscoe Smith after Josh Selby committed to Kansas?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom