What if NBC did THIS:... | The Boneyard

What if NBC did THIS:...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Been thinking about this for some time - I dunno if it's viable, but here it is:

What if NBC plays 'corporate shark' and acquires the entire Big East portfolio, secures a GOR and pays well OVER the published numbers to do it? Forget the ACC: I'm talking SEC/B12 numbers. Theoretically it would make things rather unstable for their competitors at ABC/ESPN, who would immediately have five dissatisfied clients clamoring for more money - and perhaps the fallout from those dealings would push a couple of them over to NBC in the future.

Like I said, just a thought - plus I'm hearing that the Comcast folks are notorious cheapskates. Would be a cool development if it happened, though...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They'd have to have commitments from other schools to jump aboard. Which means dumping current or pending members. This means they (or the BE commissioner at the time :rolleyes:) would had to have made back channel contact with say (Miami, FSU, Clemson, and Va Tech) before or after Pitt/Cuse left but before WVA left.

I fear it's too late for such conference realignment jujitsu.

OTOH, the NNBE has in theory 3 spots left. NBC could add provisions for adding certain schools. If the base BE # is $17M per AS team, but rises to $20+ per team if the above mentioned schools sign up. At the very least it costs ESPN a few more bucks to keep the ACC together.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I'm more worried they will balk at $17mm and offer us far less. ESPN will cut us completely loose and take whatever they were offering off the table and give us a much lower figure. We will take $10mm and go with NBC. ESPN will forget we ever existed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm more worried they will balk at $17mm and offer us far less. ESPN will cut us completely loose and take whatever they were offering off the table and give us a much lower figure. We will take $10mm and go with NBC. ESPN will forget we ever existed.

@10 million per all sport school the BE is so inherently instable that NBCs investment in it may not be worthwhile. NBC will pay more because a stable Big East that is paid like a big boy conference has greater value to them than a low balled big east plus the cash saved. Just a hunch.

Reaction Score
Just think, you can pay 1/6th of the market a premium price and get the partners of the competitor who owns the other 5/6th unhappy and demanding "more/renegotiation" and give such good "presentation and time slot availability to your 1/6th" that the other 5/6ths will be "demanding" more. Seems like a good model for the small guy (NBC).
That's how you attack a big and established competitor. You make him pay more for each part of his much bigger share of market. Costs you some, but costs him way more.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
how much is this league worth to u?

North:
Penn State
Ohio State
Maryland
West Virginia
Connecticut
New Jersey (name change from rutgers)
Michigan
Indiana

South:
Florida
Alabama
Georgia
North Carolina
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Virginia

I bet 30 a team is only the tip. just gotta get some 1 creative with balls and a vision to reach out and pitch the idea.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Just think, you can pay 1/6th of the market a premium price and get the partners of the competitor who owns the other 5/6th unhappy and demanding "more/renegotiation" and give such good "presentation and time slot availability to your 1/6th" that the other 5/6ths will be "demanding" more. Seems like a good model for the small guy (NBC).
That's how you attack a big and established competitor. You make him pay more for each part of his much bigger share of market. Costs you some, but costs him way more.

Yup, that was pretty much the gist of my thought process.

Another pleasant by-product of this would be to witness the ACC being forced to play the 'Big East' role, providing filler for WED/FRI/SUN games on ESPN. That would be rather delicious, ha.

But there's no guarantee that Comcast would pay that kinda scratch anyway. Wishful thinking, I believe...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yup, that was pretty much the gist of my thought process.

Another pleasant by-product of this would be to witness the ACC being forced to play the 'Big East' role, providing filler for WED/FRI/SUN games on ESPN. That would be rather delicious, ha.

But there's no guarantee that Comcast would pay that kinda scratch anyway. Wishful thinking, I believe...

Tru dat.

Reaction Score
If they really want to be in this game they need to maintain a stable or growing conference. Those interests aren't served by anything less than ACC $$. Being a cheepskate weakens the product over time.

Reaction Score
When analyzing any of this you need to look at Comcasts Regional Networks as part of the mix. The Northwest stands out as underserved without a Big East scheduling arrangement.

BALTIMORE | BAY AREA | CALIFORNIA | CHICAGO | CSS | HOUSTON | NEW ENGLAND | NEW YORK | NORTHWEST | PHILLY | WASHINGTON

And ... after you review those (what is CSS?) markets ... you think: is Comcast going to buy more? Dallas (with SMU). Would they buy SNY? What about Orlando or Tampa (for USF & UCF)? There's Philly ... is that why Temple is in? And Memphis? Are they covered in some way?

I can't think how the Northwest playes (cause you aren't going to bring in Portland State or Eastern Washington) ... and probably Boise is NOT the brand. (but who knows) And, California? does this mean a Fresno or a Nevada (Bay Area) may have real legs versus some other ideas?

You can make the case that they can just cover lots of our conference well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ugh on Comcast's regional outlets. CSS is Sports South - they have the Braves.

Reaction Score

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
And ... after you review those (what is CSS?) markets ... you think: is Comcast going to buy more? Dallas (with SMU). Would they buy SNY? What about Orlando or Tampa (for USF & UCF)? There's Philly ... is that why Temple is in? And Memphis? Are they covered in some way?.

NBC/Comcast owns SNY along with partners. That looks to be the model for the new SportsNets.

Here's the new Houston SportsNet contracts: Will become exclusive home of the Houston Rockets starting in the 2012-13 NBA season and the Houston Astros starting in the 2013 MLB season.

Add the Big East and they've got areal station that offers more than flyfishing and Indy racer profiles :

If you look at the contract terms it also depends highly on the partners: the Rockets and the Astros. I think the BE make a great fit for them and NBC/Comcast seems to be interested in acquiring lots of content with Sports Partners despite their reputation for firing middle management like fleas.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...inalize-deal-to-launch-TV-network-1710865.php

Reaction Score
@10 million per all sport school the BE is so inherently instable that NBCs investment in it may not be worthwhile. NBC will pay more because a stable Big East that is paid like a big boy conference has greater value to them than a low balled big east plus the cash saved. Just a hunch.

Inherently unstable?? Why?? As though any NBE team has any place else to go.

NBC says 10 million (more likely 8 million) per all sports team plus GOR. NBE schools look and there is no place else to go so they sign and learn to like it.

Reaction Score

NBC says 10 million (more likely 8 million) per all sports team plus GOR. NBE schools look and there is no place else to go so they sign and learn to like it.

Still bending for the Tobacco road boys, hard to sit I bet. I guess you'll learn to like it.

Reaction Score

Who has more overall conference championships or even national championships? Your school or UConn? Let me take a good guess... Oh, and when we DO get a nice contract (which we eventually will; our school is more relevant than yours), again then you'll really be crying. And stop posting here.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Who has more overall conference championships or even national championships? Your school or UConn? Let me take a good guess... Oh, and when we DO get a nice contract (which we eventually will; our school is more relevant than yours), again then you'll really be crying. And stop posting here.

Remember, Butchy, Don't feed the trolls!!!

100816-19.jpg

Reaction Score
Remember, Butchy, Don't feed the trolls!!!
I normally don't. Why is this person still posting here? Obviously posts here because he can't feel satisfied about the accomplishments of his school alone and has to try to put down a bigger threat.

pj

Reaction Score
One alternative would be to set up a Big East Network, sell to local cable networks, and sell marquis games a la carte to networks (CBS, Fox, NBC).

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Because people still respond to his/her posts. Try the "ignore" option if you can't resist the urge to respond.

Works for me! The great thing about using <ignore> on this site is that when the posts, I don't even see it! Other site will still sho the guy and blank his post. On this site, you don't see him at all unless someone quotes him. It's like he doesn't even exist!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Works for me! The great thing about using <ignore> on this site is that when the posts, I don't even see it! Other site will still sho the guy and blank his post. On this site, you don't see him at all unless someone quotes him. It's like he doesn't even exist!

I don't think the quotes even show up.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I normally don't. Why is this person still posting here? Obviously posts here because he can't feel satisfied about the accomplishments of his school alone and has to try to put down a bigger threat.

I find it funny that he only posts on this board. I've never seen him post on any other of the boards here. I recently ignored him and refused to respond to him before hand because all it does is make him write more. However, I know how you feel that sometimes you just HAVE to say something. However, ignore works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom