What do you view as a realistic ceiling for Uconn 2017 & Beyond? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What do you view as a realistic ceiling for Uconn 2017 & Beyond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn was in the Big East (a power conference at the time). In case you missed it, UConn is now in a mid-major (read that as lower tier) conference. Recruiting will be a whole lot harder now for Mr. Edsall when all teams around us are in the P5. The northeast is not a hot bed for football talent. The other schools in the American have much better recruiting grounds to scour for talent. Also, didn't someone pose a question as to what we think UConn's football ceiling will be???? This happens to be my opinion whether you like it or not. You have your opinion I have mine, whats the problem? I will still be going to the games win or lose.
Please stop using the internet.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
To piggy back: I EXPECT that UConn football is relevant enough to fill the Rent and I EXPECT that this team is exciting to follow based on their play, not their wacky coach.

8088791745_344b3cb057.jpg
Is it weird that this turns me on?

Reaction Score
I can't/won't speak for others, but my expectations for our football program are as follows:

1. we run a clean program. I don't ever want to become a Baylor or FSU or OU in the sense that we sit on proof of criminal activity for over a year in order to win football games. I want to win as much as the next guy, but not at the expense of people's lives.

2. we win 6+ games a year. Yes, there will be a few 5-7 seasons sprinkled in, but I expect us to hit the 6 win mark every season in the AAC. We are never going to contend for national championships...but I do expect to contend for mediocre bowl games each year.

3. our recruiting class rankings move from the 100s back into the 60s and 70s range. I have confidence in Edsall to find those 2-star kids that can turn into top performers at the FBS level.

4. we get back to our bread & butter: tough OL, stout running game, solid defense, very good special teams play. I really don't care how we move the football - by land or by air - but as of right now, we are better suited to move it by land. I expect 2017 to re-introduce a power run game to our offense and, hopefully, that will open the aerial attack via play-action.

5. the annual decline in attendance to stop right here. I think it will be a long time before the Rent sells out and has the same atmosphere that it had when Edsall was last here...but I do think 3 - 5K fans we lose a year under Diaco/Pasqualoni ends right here. We might even sell out the BC game now.

I am pretty sure that ALL your expectations will be EXCEEDED in the very near future. That is my expectation.

Reaction Score
I think we can be a top 60 team consistently, with trips into the top 40 somewhat common.

And once in a while, we should reach the top 25.

Rankings higher than 100 are inexcusable.

With Edsall ... we regularly were regarded as top 70-90 year in year out in the preseason annuals. Rarely did Diaco or PP get there. Edsall, I thought, often overachieved and got us to 48-60, and once or twice in the top 40. We should have the top 40 as a goal ... even in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Unless Edsall some somehow figured out how to coach against spread, up tempo, option and dual threat qbs, I don't see him being anything better than consistently 6 or 7 wins.

That being said, I'm basing this solely off what he did a the Big East which was a worse football conference when he left than the AAC. If he hits a home run with an OC he can consistently be at 9 wins.

The old Big East was absolutely not worse than the current AAC. The old Big EAst, while scorned by the media, was stronger on the computers than at least one P-5 conference as often as not, and when it was 6th it was very close. The AAC is the clear #6 conference in the land, and while the difference on the field between it and the P-5 is much smaller than people think, most years there is a difference.

Reaction Score
Edsall wasn't beating Michigan or Alabama for recruits.

He was getting guys without offers (Branch was in a Syracuse suburb with no SU offer) and getting them in the NFL.

He can still get the same type of players as before.

Exactly this. He barely ever was beating out Syracuse or BC for recruits anyway. Rutgers a little more but Rutgers is still Rutgers, and as it becomes uncompetitive again will recruits really want to have a 4 win cieling in a good league as opposed to winning in the American?

We won't be a Top Ten team with the recruits Edsall can bring in here if it's like last time, but we can be a Top Forty TEam. As opposed to wondering how many Ivies could beat us in a given year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that ALL your expectations will be EXCEEDED in the very near future. That is my expectation.

I hope so. Those are my floor expectations. It will take some time to build it back to 2007-10 level, but I am now, for the first time in years, confident that we have the right direction in place to get there.

Reaction Score
I was in football hell for the last 6 years so I might be more enthusiatic and hopeful than I usually am. But my heart tells me that things will get better, much better and much sooner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom