What do you think returning players and newbies need to work on before next season starts? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What do you think returning players and newbies need to work on before next season starts?

Reaction Score
Add a player like Morrow who believes every rebound is theirs
Love watching her play. Like you said, Morrow believed that every rebound was hers....even if the ball was in your hands! She was going for that rebound.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see them really work on setting proper screens. The amount of offensive fouls we were called for on these were ridiculous. And Dorka should really work on developing her left hand. She missed so many clean opportunities down low by shooting with her right hand on the left side. Amari needs to develop her game more than just being a 6’5” player that hoists up 3’s at every opportunity. Get in a strength program over the summer and have a defensive presence like say blink does underneath. Team had a great year especially considering all the injuries and sicknesses and I hope they all work on getting stronger, especially Paige as she will continue to be a target from opposing teams physical play as that seems to be the only way to put a crimp in her play. Looking forward to next season!

Reaction Score
A point to focus on for next year. As painful as the ending was, just watched the Stanford and SC games again. Many of the rebounds UConn lost came where the bigs, usually ONO or Edwards, had to come over to help when the SC or Stanford forward or guard (Haley Jones for example) blew by their defender. When the shots missed, UConn was out of position to box out. Suspect that an off season to rest the bad feet, ankles, and legs will help, but better defensive execution would be welcome.

Reaction Score
You're a very astute student of the game EricLA, so why have you (and some others) conveniently forgotten why Caroline's 3pt percentage is so low? Many, perhaps even most, of her missed 3pt shots were taken because she had been instructed to shoot whenever she felt she was open. Perhaps that's not an acceptable excuse, but it is a statement of fact! Try to remember the circumstances she was under. She's a freshman, forced to basically lead this team under a high state of pressure due to all the injures. The seniors weren't getting the job done, Edwards was a bust at that point, Nika wasn't Nika, etc., etc. Regardless, most of the missed 3s (perhaps 80+%) were poor shot selections as she rushed them all. I know you know that the general rule IS ... If you don't have time to set your feet, square your shoulders and shoot in rhythm on 3s ... don't take the shot. But, is it really necessary to continually beat her up over of it? Can't you just point out all the good things she brought to the court this season and look forward to what she will undoubtedly bring as a sophomore? Offer praise for her very successful contributions that went a very long way keeping us in contention for a NC, instead of burying her on the bottom of your list.
I don’t have a problem pointing out issues that certain players had. With Caroline it was her shooting percentage from the three-point line. I believe in her case there is a reason and not an excuse. Caroline was called upon to help the offense when all this went down and in turn she carried the team. When easy came back Caroline lost some playing time and then was injured. In my opinion after that she was trying too hard and rushing. She moves so well without the ball she was still able to get her points in close and be a productive offensive player. Next year she won’t feel the need to rush and the game will slow down for her. Her outside shooting will come back and she will be a difficult player for Geno to have sit out for any length of time. With a year under her belt Caroline will come back next year as an even better player than she was in her High Point this year. She’s really fun to watch play.

Reaction Score
A point to focus on for next year. As painful as the ending was, just watched the Stanford and SC games again. Many of the rebounds UConn lost came where the bigs, usually ONO or Edwards, had to come over to help when the SC or Stanford forward or guard (Haley Jones for example) blew by their defender. When the shots missed, UConn was out of position to box out. Suspect that an off season to rest the bad feet, ankles, and legs will help, but better defensive execution would be welcome.
I hate to say it but I don’t think our guards are very quick and we tend to play off the other guards. UCF and South Carolina get right up in your grill so you almost can’t move which seem to be a very effective aggressive defense that we almost never play. Occasionally you see Nika do that And it’s effective. It seems like a more proactive defense than staying back hoping they don’t go by you then stepping out to get a hand in the face on a long jumper.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It goes without saying that rebounding is very important, but free throws are very important and SC certainly took advantage of a huge disparity there. You do know that SC made just one more shot in the championship game?

Reaction Score
You're a very astute student of the game EricLA, so why have you (and some others) conveniently forgotten why Caroline's 3pt percentage is so low? Many, perhaps even most, of her missed 3pt shots were taken because she had been instructed to shoot whenever she felt she was open. Perhaps that's not an acceptable excuse, but it is a statement of fact! Try to remember the circumstances she was under. She's a freshman, forced to basically lead this team under a high state of pressure due to all the injures. The seniors weren't getting the job done, Edwards was a bust at that point, Nika wasn't Nika, etc., etc. Regardless, most of the missed 3s (perhaps 80+%) were poor shot selections as she rushed them all. I know you know that the general rule IS ... If you don't have time to set your feet, square your shoulders and shoot in rhythm on 3s ... don't take the shot. But, is it really necessary to continually beat her up over of it? Can't you just point out all the good things she brought to the court this season and look forward to what she will undoubtedly bring as a sophomore? Offer praise for her very successful contributions that went a very long way keeping us in contention for a NC, instead of burying her on the bottom of your list.
We live in a world where statements of fact are now attacks. It was abundantly clear, even for those of us who are not expert shot doctors, that she usually rushed her shot. This entire thread is about what the returning players should work on over the summer. The “just point out all the good things” post slot, is still open. I would add, I would love to see all our players learn to pump fake. I’m not sure why we rarely see that nowadays? It seems as though it would really help against aggressive defenders.

Reaction Score
The whole team to become stronger physically. Generally speaking they are in a great shape and have real good conditioning but strength wise they are all lacking. We've seen too many times were balls were ripped out of our players hands or in ability to control the ball.
Individual players:
Paige: get her confidence to where it was before her injury and get back to the real good defensive payer she was before her injury. add moves under the basket to take advantage against shorter defenders. Improve her 3 point shooting. She was better 3 point shooter as a freshmen then a sophomore
Azzi: More moves for shots from mid range and going to the basket more. She's the best free throw shooter on the team.
CD: 3 point accuracy. Getting back to her play before her head injury where she was the best player on the team.
AE: spend the summer in Storrs working on her game instead of losing skills working with the Canadian team. Develop moves going to the basket. work on the mid range shot. Better realization on where she is in relation o the basket.
Dorka: work on finishing her shots around the basket high, utilizing this 6'5 frame. Added strength will benefit her the most on this team.
Nika: needs to develop a mid range shooting ability and work on free throws.
Aubrey: get healthy
Amari: moves around the basket and ability to defend bigs efficiently
Piath: ability to defend bigs efficiently
Ayanna and Ice: learn the UConn system. the faster you got it the more you'll play. Concentrate on moves around the basket more then shooting from the outside.

Reaction Score
Learn how to box out. Practice free throw shooting. Uconn was terrible the past two years in free throws. Azzi, Paige are good.
I agree with your point, rt bb, and just want to add that Caroline and Aaliyah both shot around 75 percent, higher than Paige. That said, they all could be better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can Adams Sanogo from mens team give a clinic or at least a lesson on footwork around the basket? He is phenomenal!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the thread. I find these interesting. I'm sure Geno knows best and never coached. This is just my opinion and observation.

Dorka- improve strength. Work on keeping ball high and finishing inside with both hands. Not feasible for some time with her injury. Develop one go to move in the post and be comfortable with contact.

Azzi- improve handle, practice running point for the team. Continue to extend range and work on pull up threes. Hope she has no conscious next season.

Nika- honestly not too much. Continue to work on shooting and finishing layups but I thought she was really good the last half of the season even in those areas.

AE- I wonder if this is another summer with the national team for the fiba world cup. In any event, continue working on shooting from outside and ball handling.

Paige- improve strength. Improve running team and playing with tempo. it's really her team now. Be comfortable being aggressive and creating random offense. Feel comfortable posting up consistently.

Amari- improve attention to detail. Know assignments.

CD- Get stronger. Improve 3 point shot and continue working on post moves and mid range shots.

Piath- I'm always really impressed by her. Continue working hard.

Aubrey- get healthy.

Freshman- n/a.
Those freshmen both have dazzling skill sets. We can only hope they emerge right away. Although, in truth, they don't need to begin peaking until March. We have Dorka, AE and ( hopefully ) DeBerry and Piath. With Aubrey as a wild card.

Reaction Score
Now that the season is over and we are looking to next season, I wonder what people think about the subject topic. I know there are tons of players in the transfer portal, and many think UCONN needs a sharpshooting guard and possibly a strong physical post player. But without knowing if/who might be transferring in, thoughts on what the current kids should work on over the summer?

Aubrey - just get healthy and see where it gets her. No expectations but just a sincere hope she can get back on the court and be productive

Paige - continue to get healthy. At the end of the season, most kids have aches and pains and minor injuries of one kind or another. Hope she takes some time off to completely heal and then do the best she can on strength training.

Nika - she ended the season as the 4th best 3-point shooter on the team (behind Liya who did not make very many attempts). I think she has a better offensive game than people thinks, so continue on working on the 3-point shot to get it even better, and work on developing more of a scorer's mentality - this team really had no one who drove to the basket and sought out contact save for Paige (and maybe Caroline). I'd like to see Nika take on that role more. She's tough enough.

Aaliyah - she was a conundrum this season. For at least half the year, she was nothing like the player she was as a freshman. Bottle whatever she drank for the 2nd half of the season. Work on making layups thru contact (they have this big pad that someone can hold and push into players - they can use that to push Liya around while she tries to make layups). Also work on her mid range and 3-point shot. She's already a good FT shooter and hit 40% of her 3's this season, so having her step out more consistently would be great.

Dorka - so glad she's coming back. It took her time to get acclimated to the UCONN offense. Just keep working hard on what she has been doing and get even better for next season. Would also like to see her work on her passing. Olivia was a great passer especially from the top of the key. In the past we've had players like Steph Dolson and Gabby who excelled at that so maybe Dorka can add that to her game.

Azzi - Get 100% healthy. She's a super hard worker. Maybe work on more types of ways to get open for 3-point shots. Teams have learned to shadow, deny, and harass her every second she's on the floor, so she will need to up her game and find ways to score.

Amari - great seeing her get in during the NC game. She needs to work on her intensity and motor when on the court. IIRC Geno said she was a terrible practice player. She needs to get completely on board with 100% effort at all times. Maybe work on a baby hook shot since she's not a banger in the post. Also, if she wants to take 3 pointers, she needs to make them. 21% efficiency makes that shot useless if she is getting more PT.

Piath - she was so raw and has improved so much. Just keep putting in the effort to get better and better. Add some strength and work on a mid-range game.

Caroline - bottle what she did in the NC game and continue with that level of confidence. Also work tenaciously on her 3-point shot. She won the 3-point shooting contest before the season started, and ended the season with the worst % of any of the guards. Only ONO (and Amari) had a worse 3 point %, and it was only fractionally lower.

Ayanna - tremendous athleticism, but needs to work on getting the ball in the basket. Also work on the mid-range game.

Ice - awesome all around game and skills, but do NOT wait till October to start working on fitness and stamina.

Anyway just my $.02.
Excellent work, EricLA, which some have said and everyone should have.

I'd just note one observation about Azzi's shooting, which really was mediocre to worse throughout the tournament. Her technique is accurately called peerless but, when compared with a feel shooter like Paige who is apt at shooting as she moves laterally, Azzi so far has shown she needs to go exactly vertical to make a shot.

Too often she'd make a move toward the top of the lane and fire a shot while moving left or right that would usually be off target, left or right, not in distance. She and her coaches need to assess whether she has it in her to make those shots when she's drifting left or right in the air. If she doesn't, she should stick to what she does better than anyone else. It's very understandable. If you watch the countless videos of Azzi practicing, you just don't see her shooting the shots that Paige is so good at...

You actually make that point, EricLA, without saying it in so many words. Thanks for your post, which clearly has inspired many excellent responses.

Reaction Score
We live in a world where statements of fact are now attacks. It was abundantly clear, even for those of us who are not expert shot doctors, that she usually rushed her shot. This entire thread is about what the returning players should work on over the summer. The “just point out all the good things” post slot, is still open. I would add, I would love to see all our players learn to pump fake. I’m not sure why we rarely see that nowadays? It seems as though it would really help against aggressive defenders.
I pointed out to those who are less than shot doctors (love the way you put this), that rushing her 3pt shots was only part of the problem. I agree with you regarding the pump fake. For example, because it wasn't used in the SC game, at least two of our outside shots were stuffed back into our faces. One was by Saxton, the other by Boston.

Reaction Score
Teach them how to rebound like Boston and Saxton, take up space and bang for that ball.
VOD. No insult intended here. BUT! If Geno had that bulk and size, he'd have won the NC. Or if such size was coming in--a State Militia Band would march her into Gampel on her arrival. Dolson, wasn't that huge but she handled some big ladies. I'd settle for Stoke. She was the best "Back Stop" in the game during her time at UC. Only a few of us tend to give her the credit she deserved. I hope such a lady is in the "Portal" and Geno gets her.

My desires for this team and the new kids is: Follow Caroline and do as she does. Make 95 percent of your layups. Rebound (as above), defend, and don't ever be afraid to shoot. Geno will pull you if you shoot too much. To gain time, follow Geno's words: "when you get in a game, make a difference, make a basket, make a stop, get a rebound--anything but effect the game. That will get you more PT.

Reaction Score
UCONN women have basically two seasons. Season one is the regular season and BE Tourney. Season two is the National Tournament. Our young ladies have been dominant in season one, obviously. (OMG, we lost 5 games this year) Season two, where we have ended with losses these last 5 years, after strong runs to the FF. Why?
I believe that these last years teams have been missing a dominant offensive player in the low post, who can both score and rebound. Geno's system, and it has produced the best record ever, needed that type of player inside. He hasn't had it.
So what to do? He needs to slightly modify his offense, to let his best players have more opportunities to go one-on-one. Kentucky beat SC when Howard did that in the 4th qtr.
We don't have to go one in-four out, ala Iowa or Crieghton. But Fudd and Bueckers can easily beat the defenders who are jamming them out at the perimeter, but they have little opportunity to drive and make moves because too many defenders are in the paint waiting for them.
Opposing coaches don't operate in a vacuum they see what worked against Uconn and modified it. Typically Uconn for a long time, since Stewie, fell victim to fast, high intensity, double, triple teaming teams. Arizona, UCF, finally the South Carolina women. Uconn is a finesse team, rhythm team--that's what makes them beautiful to watch. A really tough or two large women (in both ways) would be an outlet on offense and give them the start of fast breaks.
This team was EXCEPTIONAL these last 2 years. In part because of Paige but she had a very very good supporting cast. Muhl, Edwards, Evina, Caroline, are a big reason they went so far. Exceptional because wirh all their problems they got to the final game. A team with their record typically never gets beyond the 16

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The entire team needs to focus on not standing around watching and waiting for Paige to put on a cape and come to the rescue. Everyone of them is capable of making plays to help the team win and that should happen regardless of how well or poorly Piage is playing.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see more close guarding the way SC, Nika, and some other top teams do. The "old" style of hands up a few feet back to guard against a fake and drive doesn't work as well with so many guards who can step back and shoot the three. SC gets in your face and if you can't pass out of it, your sunk. This is even more of a team effort than our current defense. Teammates must get in the passing lanes and the bigs are your defense against penetration. We must also must know when to double a guard. That I guess might be instinctive and not learned. Nika can lead the way.

Reaction Score
The entire team needs to focus on not standing around watching and waiting for Paige to put on a cape and come to the rescue. Everyone of them is capable of making plays to help the team win and that should happen regardless of how well or poorly Piage is playing.

This x 1,000,000.

Honestly I thought they were a much more engaged & confident team when they had to do it for themselves while she was injured. Every one of them knew she had to contribute for the team to win. When Paige returned they went right back to standing around waiting for her to work her magic. I understand the temptation, she's soooooo good! Realistically though they have to stop doing this or they'll never win a national championship.

Rebounding & free throw shooting is something I'd have all of them work on. W/r/t rebounding yes size helps when you rebound but as Nika Muhl demonstrated it is also about positioning and determination not to be denied. Free throw shooting was abysmal to be kind. I don't think anyone should be shooting less than 80%-85% from the free throw line. I know free throw shooting isn't sexy like jacking a 3 but it is an easy way for a team to pick up points- remember, they're free.

Reaction Score
Caroline - love her toughness, BBall-IQ, she scores around the basket, and plays defense with an intensity. Her shooting needs work, and maybe shot selection. A mid-range pullup would help her become a very dangerous and multi-faceted scoring threat.

Azzi - I love Azzi, but she was a victim of injury, and to a degree, the public's somewhat inflated expectations. However, she adjusted well in her short season. Needs to work on her ball handling, and develop a few moves to create her own shot. This will give her a good escape option when being double-teamed. Improved defensive fundamentals would be a plus.

She's now experienced high level college basketball at the highest level -- a National Championship. Next season she will have some swagger.

Amari - I would have liked it if Geno worked her into the rotation right from the start of the season. I have no idea what she needs to work on, but I'm sure the coaches gave her a plan. I think we're going to see a player with a very high BBIQ based on the small sample we got to observe. But she looked comfortable, was active, and facilitated. I think she's a player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We know our strength is going to be in the backcourt, so I’ll start there. I’m hopeful that Paige and Azzi will return fully healthy. I feel really confident in these two positions on the floor, and think we have as good of a backcourt as anybody.

I like how the graduation of our seniors opens up the 3 spot for Ducharme. It allows us to add another proven scoring threat to the mix, and she provides length on defense. Swapping CW with Ducharme makes us longer. But we need her to refine her three point shot, so that we have three legit outside threats on the floor. I expect the game will slow down for her and she’ll be a delight to watch.

Aaliyah turned it on, and I think she’s turned the corner. We just need her to be a menace on the boards and continue to improve at defending without fouling.

Dorka returning is huge, but she needs to get a lot stronger. If she can finish through contact, she’ll be 10x better than what we say this year.

Those are my starters. I expect Nika will return with the same energy and hopefully a more refined offensive game. And I’m hopeful our freshman and Amari can challenge for playing time. Each seems to be quite talented.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom