What do you expect for 2017-18? | The Boneyard

What do you expect for 2017-18?

Reaction Score
I am looking ahead, do not care.

So I think the general consensus on this board is a. 2017-18 is THE YEAR for Uconn to come back with a vengeance, or at least, make some noise and b. THE YEAR for Ollie to prove himself, no more excuses. Lay an egg and I think the majority will be very upset and be saying some...not so nice things.

But other than that, what do you expect from next year?

Now I do not know the full schedule but I can take some guesses and I am going to dream a little:
-A slightly stronger OOC. Nothing "knock your socks off" but I understand Cuse and OH ST and even Auburn were slightly down this year, at least at the time of the games (and uconn was still 1-2) and it was kind of bad luck that they were not GREAT so I think a slightly stronger OOC is not too much to ask.
-At least one Big East team in the OOC
-Considering point 1, I figure Uconn will have 12 games in the OOC since I do not think they are playing in a tourney, just once every other year I think? Any way, I expect at least one "upset" in the OOC and only once will they lose a game they should not, though not as bad as Wagner or NE. I think it is okay to assume a respectable 9-3 OOC record. Nothing amazing, just solid.
-I expect a Top 3 finish in the AAC. I want to type Top 2, but Uconn has never finished in the top 4 even in the AAC if I recall. Being behind SMU and Cincy would not be a bad thing.
-Keeping that last point in mind, I expect, at the very least for Uconn to tie a personal best for wins in the conference at 12. Actually, If I want to go out on a limb, I expect them to set a new personal best with a 13-5 record. At least 1-3 vs SMU/Cincy combo if they play home-home next year (Uconn never even keeps it close at Moody, I think they can at least lose a close game there next year, I expect that). I expect a dog fight vs. Cincy too. Vs. these two teams, maybe Uconn can pull out a 2-2 record even.
-At least 3-1 vs Tulsa/Houston combo if they play at home. At least 5-1 vs Temple, Memphis and UCF if they play that many games vs all three. Or some kind of combo of the above records, I could settle for 2-2 vs each of those first two duo of teams mentioned in the last point. They should sweep all other teams in the AAC however.
-I expect at least a visit to the finals of the AAC if the brackets fall right. Perhaps a semi final loss to SMU or Cincy otherwise if Uconn is a little unlucky, otherwise, they should at least make the finals.
-Overall, I expect an above average showing in the regular season, no ranking, but maybe hovering in the top 35.
-I expect an overall record of around 22-8. I do not think that is asking too much. Ollie needs to turn it around next year, no more mulligans or excuses. Next year or never! 22-8 is not wanting too much IMO, especially in the AAC with who is coming in as far as talent for the roster.
-I expect, with a 22-8 record, if Uconn gets a few solid wins, a 5 or 6 seed, though aac is generally rated very poorly come selection time. 7 or 8 is more likely with that record, sadly.
-I expect at least one win in March, when it matters most, to at least get back to 2015-2016 type levels (and that season was kind of a bummer saved by Cincy and Colorado victories in March).

Overall, 23-9 is a reasonable expectation for next year IMO. As Uconn fans I do not think we can expect any less and of course not something poor like 18 wins. (I would not be happy with something like 18-13 next year. NO).

Reaction Score
I would expect something close to last years team. Lots of new moving parts. We only play 8 players this year 3 play major major minutes. 2 have been injured for a couple games now (maybe the ones that need the most grooming for the future). Our front court will be unproven with Enoch prob being our starting center (assuming we don't get a grad transfer.) I dont think next year is judgement day for Ollie given what's happened this year with Alterique having not played in a year, and larrier not having player in 2 by the time next season rolls around. Come January February and march we should see a really good team that can challenge in march. This is just my opinion and most of what I just wrote depends on what JA does this offseason. Just my opinion guys.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'll honestly be a bit disappointed if our team is similar to last year's, and I don't think that's unreasonable.

I expect a record (up to the ncaa, thru the aac) similar to 2014, where a few stumbles are expected but not consistently, and of course once the tournament comes it's all up in the air and dependent on so many things.

But a regular season of mid to high 20s win total is what I am aiming for.

With Adams hopefully taking another huge step and the pieces filling in nicely, but not perfectly, that's what I'm looking at.

Reaction Score
I think that Larrier is a big factor next year. Worried about outside shooting, hope we have enough.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If Adams returns and stays healthy, I'll be disappointed if we're not a top 25 team pretty much all year long. If he doesn't, I think we're a fringe tourney team at best.

Reaction Score
Lol, I was worried about outside shooting, but no Rodney so we'll see. Vital, Vance and Jalen when open can do it on second thought.

Reaction Score
I really think we need to pray that Adams returns, regardless of how good this draft is, I can see him being a late 1st round pick. Is that good enough for him? It doesn't seem to matter for these kids anymore. I just hope that he has bought into what Ollie is selling and he cares more about developing than cashing in..

If so? I like what I see.

Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Durham, Enoch
Jackson, Langford, Polley, Carlton, Vital

It's crazy how far Vital slips (he never should have gotten this much time to begin with)

I love that group, anyone have a different starting 5?

Reaction Score
I really think we need to pray that Adams returns, regardless of how good this draft is, I can see him being a late 1st round pick. Is that good enough for him? It doesn't seem to matter for these kids anymore. I just hope that he has bought into what Ollie is selling and he cares more about developing than cashing in..

If so? I like what I see.

Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Durham, Enoch
Jackson, Langford, Polley, Carlton, Vital

It's crazy how far Vital slips (he never should have gotten this much time to begin with)

I love that group, anyone have a different starting 5?
I think vital starts at the 2. With alterique as the back up pg

Reaction Score
True, really praying Adams comes back!
I get worried when announcers start in with top 5 guards in the country stuff. He is exactly where he needs to be on a road to greatness. Next year with improvements in shooting he would look even more dominant and he's got to be able to do it consistently against the top teams. It would be disappointing if he left to say the least.

pj

Reaction Score
I expect some struggles early as new players are integrated, playing well by March, make the tourney as a 9 seed with 9-10 losses, go to the Elite Eight.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would rather see Enoch play as our starting center than kill his development another year with a 5th year grad transfer center.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I expect to lose more hair and more teeth.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I would rather see Enoch play as our starting center than kill his development another year with a 5th year grad transfer center.
This is not about saving Enoch's career. It is about saving Ollie's program.
Another poor season and the UConn name will start to lose its star power and we will become Memphis.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This is not about saving Enoch's career. It is about saving Ollie's program.
Another poor season and the UConn name will start to lose its star power and we will become Memphis.
Enoch can be a dominant center for this program if he's given time. Most of our weaknesses this season are in our backcourt and Brimah fouling, so this comment doesn't make much sense to me. Especially since Memphis is 18-7.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Enoch can be a dominant center for this program if he's given time. Most of our weaknesses this season are in our backcourt and Brimah fouling, so this comment doesn't make much sense to me. Especially since Memphis is 18-7.
Memphis is a 2nd tier BB school. UConn has been first tier for 25 years.
Enoch is lost on defense most of the time. Ollie is a defensive coach. Unless Enoch can somehow learn to read and react at the pace of the game, Ollie can not afford to give him the time to develop as an offensive player. We need someone next year to anchor the middle or at least show up like Nolan did.

Reaction Score
PJ was, I think, pretty right on. Some struggles early as Larrier and Gilbert get integrated and Enoch/Durham get used to greater minutes.

By around this time, though, I think we'll have put most of it together and be an incredibly dangerous team. And you just don't count out KO in March.

Reaction Score
Check out what has already been released for our OOC schedule next year. Its arguably one of the top in the nation

Villanova, Arizona, Cuse, etc, and participating in the best preseason tournament ever assembled

Reaction Score
With Adams making a huge leap this year, and likely another in the offseason, that'll help Larrier big time coming off the injury. It allows him to ease back into the flow of things.

If we add an impact big - a cog in the paint, rebounder, & rim protector - along with a sharpshooting guard I think we have a chance to be top 10. Both should be via grad transfer market because the experience will go a long way and keeps scholarships open for '18.

Perhaps those additions aren't made, though. If not, unless Enoch makes a huge leap or Carlton comes in ready to make some noise, I'd anticipate us to be around top 20-30.

Reaction Score
There's no general consensus that UConn will be "back" in 2017-18, nor should there be. UConn's success will rely heavily on two players coming off season-ending injuries, and it's never predictable when they'll fully return to form.

With that said, it will be the first time since 2013-14 that UConn will have some semblance of continuity on its roster - and unless you're bringing in Duke- or Kentucky-level talent, continuity is huge in college hoops. While there are health-related questions, a perimeter rotation of Jalen, Gilbert, Vital, MAL, Jackson, and Larrier should be significantly better than the youthful, injury-plagued perimeter rotation we've seen this year. Plus, the ball movement should be exponentially better with Purvis' departure.

The frontcourt is a complete mystery, though. Facey and Brimah are far from an irreplaceable combo, but the question is whether UConn has the pieces to make up for their competent production. I suspect we'll get back to seeing more small-ball lineups, with Larrier or even Jackson playing stretches at the 4.

Reaction Score
Fellas, I don't think we have to worry about Adams leaving. It's a strong point guard draft and Jalen isn't really anywhere on the NBA's radar right now, next season will be a different story.

Reaction Score
Check out what has already been released for our OOC schedule next year. Its arguably one of the top in the nation

Villanova, Arizona, Cuse, etc, and participating in the best preseason tournament ever assembled
Zona?
Cuse??
Nova???

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

I loved those Zona/Uconn matchups back in the Calhoun days. I remember one of those games was like 100-98 in overtime, Uconn win.

I would be happy with a 1-2 record in those three with a solid showing in the other two games. Anything better is bonus.

Uconn gets to go to another preseason tournament? I thought a team could only go to one every two years but perhaps I was wrong.

Uconn has a lot of questions next year, for sure. But if Ollie logically thinks this out, which I think he will, and gets proper back up players in case of injury (bench was too short and not ¨well stocked¨ this year) I think Uconn can have a real solid year.

I know people might scoff at the idea that injuries were a result of poor conditioning, but I would love to see Ollie take a page out of Bellicks planning and have these kids run hills and really run them ragged in the early going, whenever they first meet up, for the first few weeks. That way, a game is almost like a ¨vacation¨. (I know how that works after some 12 to 15 milers and then suicides and hills, games were...mmm...not so bad).

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not a chance Adams goes to the NBA. He's not good enough yet. He won't make the same mistake Daniel Hamilton made.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom