What do people want? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What do people want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In 2003 after the super team graduated UCONN WBB was undefeated until Villanova won the Big East Final 52-48 at the RAC at Rutgers! UConn then went on a 6 game winning streak culminating in a National Championship! Back then the Program threw a post-season banquet for their season ticket holders.
A gentleman season ticket holder came up to CD and they were talking about the team and the fan said, "you had a pretty good season!" CD replied, "Pretty good season, we won the National Championship!" The fan answered, "yes but you lost the Big East title to Villanova!"
Even back then UCONN fans were demanding more!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Agree on Dolson and I will admit 5 guards was not a correct analogy but my opinion somewhat stands; that is why would a traditional big (or post) want to play at UCONN when Geno doesn't normally play a traditional "post". He would rather out speed the other team with expectations that all players need to crash the boards. Where this sometimes fails is when you have an opponent with more then one big that can clog the lane from multiple sides and can shoot from the perimeter (reference Geno's post game on close games that had bigs clogging the lanes going back the past couple years) . There are bigs that are the exceptions but they don't come around very often, and I suspect other coaches entice bigs during the recruiting process based on utilization (e.g. high minutes played with an older version offence).

though I stand corrected on the 1-4 vs my bad statement of 5 guards, the link confirms the use of faster players referencing guards and does not show a traditional post usage in the 1-4 approach to the game in the diagrams
LOL, I have better question.
Why would any successful coach go after a "Traditional Big" in 2018 or beyond, when they are adequate athletic bigs who can score and defend from several locations on the court?
The game has changed, and that is both on the men and womens side. Geno opting to recruit versatile players instead of one dimensional post has in what way impacted his success?

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
In response to the OP

What is the purpose of a discussion board?
Is it that we should all agree and see things from the same perspectives?
How boring would this Fan forum be if everyone posted the exact same thing?
Is it really a good thing when we attempt to control the emotions and opinions of others?

I'm of the opinion as long as board members can voice their opinions without being disrespectful to each other, all is well. Fan sites and social media, provides an outlet for people who are passionate about sports to vent frustrations, gloat, share their wisdom, excitement and concerns or display their lack of those things.

If fans or haters believe/insist that our coach (who has lost 3 games in three years and won 11 NC's so far) can't recruit or coach, why even acknowledge it? The coach is human, heard him say just the other day, sometimes they the coaches get it right and sometimes not. I personally see nothing wrong with us discussing either of those scenarios.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, that would be nice. ;)

I had to laugh about the posts on the men's board bemoaning the 2 final four losses. C'mon! We are spoiled no doubt about it.

Keep in mind that Geno didn't deliberately plan for a donut team (hole in the center.) Zee was supposed to be playing a dominant senior year for us right now. Camara was supposed to give us up front depth. Things just didn't work out that way. (If you don't think Camara would have mattered, take a look at how she was effective in her limited minutes. A healthy BC instantly makes us much more physical in the paint.)

As Geno points out, winning a national championships is hard. We still have a shot this year but our margin is razor thin.
and the young lady that backed outta her verbal and stayed home

Reaction Score
The true test of a fan is if they continue to be supportive when things do not go well. Still that does not mean they can not be objective.

As I have said from the beginning. Zee leaving early really threw Geno for a loop. It was totally unexpected.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In response to the OP

What is the purpose of a discussion board?
Is it that we should all agree and see things from the same perspectives?
How boring would this Fan forum be if everyone posted the exact same thing?
Is it really a good thing when we attempt to control the emotions and opinions of others?

I'm of the opinion as long as board members can voice their opinions without being disrespectful to each other, all is well. Fan sites and social media, provides an outlet for people who are passionate about sports to vent frustrations, gloat, share their wisdom, excitement and concerns or display their lack of those things.

If fans or haters believe/insist that our coach (who has lost 3 games in three years and won 11 NC's so far) can't recruit or coach, why even acknowledge it? The coach is human, heard him say just the other day, sometimes they the coaches get it right and sometimes not. I personally see nothing wrong with us discussing either of those scenarios.
Ive made a couple explanatory posts that I’m not talking about comments on the game. Reread the thread

Reaction Score
I’ve seen an awful lot of complaining in the last couple of years but, boy, this year is something else. It’s not enough to despair over the awful players on the team or the crappy coaching they get, it’s also how terrible they’ll be next year too. What do you people want? Does the team have to go undefeated every year, winning games by 40 and having all players on the team averaging 20 & 10? Honestly, why do you bother to root for such a flawed team when there are others out there - bigger, stronger, better coached - that are superior to the Huskies? I gotta know.
Fans who are spoiled and many who don't necessarily understand sport and basketball in particular. What Uconn has done is historically amazing but unsustainable, we must learn to appreciate effort and class.

Reaction Score
UCONN lost a game..... the sky is falling! It is a bunch of teenagers playing a game and getting an education for their play. Good grief, get over it and move on to the next big dilemma..... not enough milk for your cereal. I root for the guys and have been to three Final Fours but some of you are just crazy. Please reevaluate your priorities. :D

Reaction Score
Nan, wish you and the other mods would just delete the incessant, annoying, repetitive & boring posts you described. Maybe if enough of the Debbie Downers see their posts disappear they'll just go away.

Now there you go. That's exactly the attitude we need in a world where the only messages most people now listen to are the ones with which they agree. I for one do not come to the BY to hear 10 or 25 or 100 people all say in unison: "It;'s a beautiful; day today, and it will be even more beautiful tomorrow." I'm a fairly regular participant on this board, and I don't find the amount of critical content all that unusual. And although I always disagree with at least some of it, I don't even find it all that annoying.

The whole freakin point of this board is to have stimulating discussion. And last time I checked, the only way to have stimulating discussion is to have at least two sides to the argument. IMHO, there is real value in being able to take the temperature of the UConn WCBB fans, especially for those of us who are geographically removed from the home base in Connecticut. Participating in the BY gives us this. If lots of people are complaining about something, it may tell us something about the team. Granted, it may not, but it gives us the chance to investigate and reach our own conclusions.

Censoring the board so that if reflects only or mostly the pleasant opinions of only or mostly the most pleasant contributors is not only unrealistic, it will destroy the point of this place.

Nan, here's a thought to consider: Is it possible, just possible, that because you are a moderator and read everything, you tend to accumulate more impressions of this negative stuff than at least some of us others? If so, I recognize that's a downer for you, but it may just be one of the burdens that come with the job you do so well.

Reaction Score
Nan has tried several times that I can think of. Just seems to get worse. Not that it matters, but I'm about ready to bail til tournament time. Too aggravating.
If you know who they are, just use that Ignore button. It works great.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Now there you go. That's exactly the attitude we need in a world where the only messages most people now listen to are the ones with which they agree. I for one do not come to the BY to hear 10 or 25 or 100 people all say in unison: "It;'s a beautiful; day today, and it will be even more beautiful tomorrow." I'm a fairly regular participant on this board, and I don't find the amount of critical content all that unusual. And although I always disagree with at least some of it, I don't even find it all that annoying.

The whole freakin point of this board is to have stimulating discussion. And last time I checked, the only way to have stimulating discussion is to have at least two sides to the argument. IMHO, there is real value in being able to take the temperature of the UConn WCBB fans, especially for those of us who are geographically removed from the home base in Connecticut. Participating in the BY gives us this. If lots of people are complaining about something, it may tell us something about the team. Granted, it may not, but it gives us the chance to investigate and reach our own conclusions.

Censoring the board so that if reflects only or mostly the pleasant opinions of only or mostly the most pleasant contributors is not only unrealistic, it will destroy the point of this place.

Nan, here's a thought to consider: Is it possible, just possible, that because you are a moderator and read everything, you tend to accumulate more impressions of this negative stuff than at least some of us others? If so, I recognize that's a downer for you, but it may just be one of the burdens that come with the job you do so well.
It’s not just me. The people who endlessly complain about the same things - things that can’t be changed - have driven off numerous posters and many other posters have become lurkers after angry, snotty replies to their positive comments. “You don’t know anything about basketball”, “you’re an idiot if you don’t see how undersized we are”, “you believe in unicorns and lollipops and I see reality”, Etc. That’s the type of things that many of those people heard.

Most of the pinheads tossing out their verbal grenades came over from the men’s board after the horrific Ollie years and, unfortunately, didn’t go back when Hurley arrived. I do NOT want a part of the women’s team fans feeling they can’t post on the Boneyard without being attacked when they dispute the endless complaining. But they are, and so the complaining goes on unabated. I’m tired of it

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Why would any successful coach go after a "Traditional Big" in 2018 or beyond, when they are adequate athletic bigs who can score and defend from several locations on the court?
The game has changed, and that is both on the men and womens side. Geno opting to recruit versatile players instead of one dimensional post has in what way impacted his success?

I think brown on Baylor just answered that question.

Frankly so was Wilson at SC.

Reaction Score

Boston was a traditional big and I can assure you that Geno wanted her at UConn in a "big" way.................

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree on Dolson and I will admit 5 guards was not a correct analogy but my opinion somewhat stands; that is why would a traditional big (or post) want to play at UCONN when Geno doesn't normally play a traditional "post". He would rather out speed the other team with expectations that all players need to crash the boards. Where this sometimes fails is when you have an opponent with more then one big that can clog the lane from multiple sides and can shoot from the perimeter (reference Geno's post game on close games that had bigs clogging the lanes going back the past couple years) . There are bigs that are the exceptions but they don't come around very often, and I suspect other coaches entice bigs during the recruiting process based on utilization (e.g. high minutes played with an older version offence). though I stand corrected on the 1-4 vs my bad statement of 5 guards, the link confirms the use of faster players referencing guards and does not show a traditional post usage in the 1-4 approach to the game in the diagrams
Thanks for reading the article and believe it or not I somewhat agree with you. To be more specific your point about " bigs that are the exception not coming around that often" is IMO the heart of the problem. To the best of my knowledge when that type of player comes along UCONN has been in on all of them (Reimer- .... Boston).
Let's be cautious about a couple things 1) IMO those players are not coming to UCONN for a variety of reasons, not because of the offense UCONN is running. Geno is a smart and good enough coach to change that offensive to maximize any players skills. 2) Even with a traditional post on the roster UCONN still loses that game to Baylor mainly because UCONN shot 29%.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What it speaks to is how special Dolson was and ideal for this offense.
Except that wasn't. She was slow and her skill set out HS was limited. What she became was awesome. Great player, reliable scorer and one the best passers we've had.

the Q

Reaction Score
Thanks for reading the article and believe it or not I somewhat agree with you. To be more specific your point about " bigs that are the exception not coming around that often" is IMO the heart of the problem. To the best of my knowledge when that type of player comes along UCONN has been in on all of them (Reimer- .... Boston).
Let's be cautious about a couple things 1) IMO those players are not coming to UCONN for a variety of reasons, not because of the offense UCONN is running. Geno is a smart and good enough coach to change that offensive to maximize any players skills. 2) Even with a traditional post on the roster UCONN still loses that game to Baylor mainly because UCONN shot 29%.

I’d throw Z into that mix as well.

Although like Wilson she fancied herself more of a wing than her game really allowed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It’s not just me. The people who endlessly complain about the same things - things that can’t be changed - have driven off numerous posters and many other posters have become lurkers after angry, snotty replies to their positive comments. “You don’t know anything about basketball”, “you’re an idiot if you don’t see how undersized we are”, “you believe in unicorns and lollipops and I see reality”, Etc. That’s the type of things that many of those people heard.

Most of the pinheads tossing out their verbal grenades came over from the men’s board after the horrific Ollie years and, unfortunately, didn’t go back when Hurley arrived. I do NOT want a part of the women’s team fans feeling they can’t post on the Boneyard without being attacked when they dispute the endless complaining. But they are, and so the complaining goes on unabated. I’m tired of it
I mean this with all due respect, but there are 3 mods on this board. Do something about it. You know who the posters are who have driven people away, are bullies, etc. Put them on notice and/or ban them. While I don't expect this board to be a rah-rah cheer-leading board, it's not like you don't have the power to make some changes... ;)

I realize it might be a little time consuming at first, but it won't take long once the perps are either changed or gone.

the Q

Reaction Score
Except that wasn't. She was slow and her skill set out HS was limited. What she became was awesome. Great player, reliable scorer and one the best passers we've had.

Tremendous passer.

And she also put in some serious work to improve her conditioning.

the Q

Reaction Score

Honestly geno taking someone likethat whom he can mold for a year wouldn’t be the worst thing at this point for the 2019 class.

But it’s pbvioauly a speculative gamble, at best.

But since geno doesn’t normally have a full allotment it’s not the worst thing right now

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I had a front row seat to the evolution of Dolson. My daughter played against hear about 1/2 dozen times in AAU. I erroneously predicted that she was not UCONN material and was very glad to be wrong.

the Q

Reaction Score
I had a front row seat to the evolution of Dolson. My daughter played against hear about 1/2 dozen times in AAU. I erroneously predicted that she was not UCONN material and was very glad to be wrong.

To be fair, probabaly at least 90/100 girls with her profile you would be right about, if not more.

She’s a very rare breed and her plus make up and character were a big factor.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Not entirely accurate. Her skills -- footwork, vision, passing ability and shooting touch -- were obvious in high school. Her weight and lack of fitness is what caused many to question her future at UConn. Many fans of opponents mocked her at first. Once she committed to fitness and with UConn coaching her skills flourished. While not fast, she somehow managed to get up and down the court and score plenty of times in transition.

Fortunately for UConn, she didn't listen to the naysayers who said she couldn't play at UConn's pace or wouldn't flourish in UConn's offense. If only a recent recruit had rejected those thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom