What did Geno say to Chong? | The Boneyard

What did Geno say to Chong?

Reaction Score
During a stoppage of play in the 4th quarter Geno was standing behind Saniya for about a minute of conversation. Both had big smiles. Whatever was said it looked like pure enjoyment. What a way to end her Gampel career.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Our seats were at the end of the bench, behind the basket, actually pretty close but there was too much ambient noise to hear anything. They both looked, well, content.

Reaction Score
Heck, leading the team in assists in the game added to the great defensive play that she exhibited last evening says it all. I hope, after the team eventually wins the National Championship again this year (and I truly believe that UCONN has all of the tools to do so), those "Saniya Chong Na-Sayers" who were extremely vocal on The Boneyard coming into this season, will come back on here and eat some "Chong Crow"

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Perhaps a bit of both? This wasn't the best of offensive showings for Saniya, these past two games, but I thought her defense in that first half was top-notch and I think as important of a factor in the score at half-time.

She's saving herself on offense for another explosion vs. Maryland. There's something about her seeing those stupid-looking, wrapped in their state flag uniforms that brings out the beast in Saniya.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I appreciate with Chong's game this year is the calmness and the complete lack of ego. She played 31 minutes last night and took two shots, but got her 7 assists with 2 turnovers (1 I thought was a phantom call as she got pinballed on a drive.) People complain that she doesn't make enough spectacular passes, but on a team that is shooting 60%, the percentages on spectacular passes make them a bad gamble and one she seldom indulges in - we have Gabby and Crystal to take those gambles while Chong just goes about her business keeping things calm. And her defense which was never that bad, has improved significantly with her consistent playing time this year.

And best of all, there have been a lot of big smiles this year and very few of those anguished looks on her face that cropped up with consistency the previous years.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
What I appreciate with Chong's game this year is the calmness and the complete lack of ego. She played 31 minutes last night and took two shots, but got her 7 assists with 2 turnovers (1 I thought was a phantom call as she got pinballed on a drive.) People complain that she doesn't make enough spectacular passes, but on a team that is shooting 60%, the percentages on spectacular passes make them a bad gamble and one she seldom indulges in - we have Gabby and Crystal to take those gambles while Chong just goes about her business keeping things calm. And her defense which was never that bad, has improved significantly with her consistent playing time this year.

And best of all, there have been a lot of big smiles this year and very few of those anguished looks on her face that cropped up with consistency the previous years.
A spectacular pass,is one that ends up being 2 or 3 points.So seven times,Saniya threw a spectacular pass.

Reaction Score
Heck, leading the team in assists in the game added to the great defensive play that she exhibited last evening says it all. I hope, after the team eventually wins the National Championship again this year (and I truly believe that UCONN has all of the tools to do so), those "Saniya Chong Na-Sayers" who were extremely vocal on The Boneyard coming into this season, will come back on here and eat some "Chong Crow"
I believe all UCONN fans appreciate the job Soniya has done this year as point guard. She is good with the ball, a fierce defender, an excellent passer, and terrific on fast breaks. I would be remiss, however, if I did not point out our disappointment over her outside shooting. She was a prolific scorer in HS, and no one has yet told me that all of her points came from layups and foul shots. Rarely, at UCONN, has she made two 3's in succession, and I never remember three in a row. Against Syracuse, she had 2-3 uncontested threes and missed them all. When she puts up a three I almost always say to myself, " no way," and, sadly, I am right more often than wrong. It is true, that we all want every UCONN " star" recruit to be special. Soniya has been good, and is playing her best basketball this year. But the team would be even more dangerous if Soniya could be a dependable scorer from outside. True, there have been a few games where she scored from the outside with confidence. But they are few. We want more.

Reaction Score
We should give Chong so much credit. We are so lucky to have her this year.

Let's face it CD is not ready for prime time. She still is trying to make the great play or perfect razors edge pass which can lead to turnovers as much as the great play. Chong is steady and reliable. There is going to be minutes as we enter the elite 8- final game that we are going to say thank god she's here!! I know I've said that at least 10 times this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Can u believe they had the best guard duo in the country? We showed them
Well ... I am not trading our guards, but on a points basis even with Kia going off, their guard combo outscored our guard trio 40 to 31. Add in their freshman and it as 49 - 31.
I really like both Peterson and Sykes, and I expect them both to be first round draft choice. Nurse is going to be a first round choice as well, but not Chong (who I do think will get drafted.) The best back court in the country stuff is fluff, but as far as scoring it is true, and as far as draft spots for upperclassmen, it is probably true as well - who knows about freshman and sophomores.

Reaction Score
If you think those stupid looking,wrapped in their state flag uniforms bring out the beast in Saniya,Katy Lou needed a bucket just from looking at them.

Reaction Score
I believe all UCONN fans appreciate the job Soniya has done this year as point guard. She is good with the ball, a fierce defender, an excellent passer, and terrific on fast breaks. I would be remiss, however, if I did not point out our disappointment over her outside shooting. She was a prolific scorer in HS, and no one has yet told me that all of her points came from layups and foul shots. Rarely, at UCONN, has she made two 3's in succession, and I never remember three in a row. Against Syracuse, she had 2-3 uncontested threes and missed them all. When she puts up a three I almost always say to myself, " no way," and, sadly, I am right more often than wrong. It is true, that we all want every UCONN " star" recruit to be special. Soniya has been good, and is playing her best basketball this year. But the team would be even more dangerous if Soniya could be a dependable scorer from outside. True, there have been a few games where she scored from the outside with confidence. But they are few. We want more.
Saniya had 320 treys in four years of varsity ball at Ossining. Of those one year she had 108 and another 100.

Reaction Score
I just feel so happy for Saynia to be recognized by the BYers in her last year...

It's so true. I think she's crucial to our success. We would not be undefeated without her. She doesn't get near the credit she deserves. Such a vital player this year.
Very happy for her.

BTW- If she didn't have IT BAND issues last year she would have been just as good as she is this year.

Reaction Score
Well ... I am not trading our guards, but on a points basis even with Kia going off, their guard combo outscored our guard trio 40 to 31. Add in their freshman and it as 49 - 31.
I really like both Peterson and Sykes, and I expect them both to be first round draft choice. Nurse is going to be a first round choice as well, but not Chong (who I do think will get drafted.) The best back court in the country stuff is fluff, but as far as scoring it is true, and as far as draft spots for upperclassmen, it is probably true as well - who knows about freshman and sophomores.
Points scored is a bogus comparison. UCONN doesn't need Chong to score when they have four other scorers for Saniya to feed. If you want a better comparison:
Chong FG % =46% 3PFG% =38%
Peterson FG % =41%, 3PFG% =31%

Reaction Score
When she puts up a three I almost always say to myself, " no way," and, sadly, I am right more often than wrong.
You could say the same thing about just about any other player in the country I'm not sure anyone makes more threes than they miss. Even Kia at 45% and Lou at 43% miss more than they make. Saniya's 38% is not too shabby IMO.

Reaction Score
Points scored is a bogus comparison. UCONN doesn't need Chong to score when they have four other scorers for Saniya to feed. If you want a better comparison:
Chong FG % =46% 3PFG% =38%
Peterson FG % =41%, 3PFG% =31%
Absolutely true, we really need her in this short-hand-bench year

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You could say the same thing about just about any other player in the country I'm not sure anyone makes more threes than they miss. Even Kia at 45% and Lou at 43% miss more than they make. Saniya's 38% is not too shabby IMO.
Kelly Mazzante in her best season made 33 or 34% on 3s.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And entering the NCAAs it was 39.4%, even less shabby. At one time about two months ago, Kia, Lou, and Saniya were all over 42%, which is pretty strong for your starting perimeter players (or non-starters, for that matter).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom