OT: - What are your Thanksgiving plans? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: What are your Thanksgiving plans?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The annual boneyard "should I brine my turkey" discussion would normally be going strong by now. What a messed up year.

I did ask that. Answer is yes this year.

Reaction Score
The annual boneyard "should I brine my turkey" discussion would normally be going strong by now. What a messed up year.

I figured it was a good year to switch from a wet brine to a dry brine. Already rubbed up and in the garage fridge.

Rosemary, sage, thyme, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, orange zest.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Baking my first turkey this year - what do you stuff yours with? Not stuffing
I make a simple toasted bread, butter and sauteed onion stuffing my mother taught me. From when I was 5 years old, I would get up at 5am with her and toast the bread and it's the only reason to bake a turkey in my opinion. My family would never consider anything else. People I've served it to since either love it or don't much consider it.

Reaction Score
I make a simple toasted bread, butter and sauteed onion stuffing my mother taught me. From when I was 5 years old, I would get up at 5am with her and toast the bread and it's the only reason to bake a turkey in my opinion. My family would never consider anything else. People I've served it to since either love it or don't much consider it.

Just curious but do you use the same brand of bread? I ask because, for my Mom's stuffing I use Wonder bread. It's the only week of the year I ever buy it but that's what she used, so that's what I use.

Reaction Score
So in the spirit of taking lemons and making lemonade, I urge you all to forget turkey, and celebrate thanksgiving with your favorite food .

It’s been a real tough year. Treat yourselves.you owe it to America.

I've been fighting a losing battle on this front for a week. The only good thing about a turkey dinner at Thanksgiving is the one leftover sandwich the next day (and pecan pie). I'm going to do what I usually do and load up on appetizers, charcuterie, head cheese, and assorted shellfish so I'm too full to notice how boring turkey is.

It's just the four of us plus the MIL as a last minute surprise who will undoubtedly be shooting me dirty looks when I pop a bottle of wine at 10 a.m.

Reaction Score
I've been fighting a losing battle on this front for a week. The only good thing about a turkey dinner at Thanksgiving is the one leftover sandwich the next day (and pecan pie). I'm going to do what I usually do and load up on appetizers, charcuterie, head cheese, and assorted shellfish so I'm too full to notice how boring turkey is.

It's just the four of us plus the MIL as a last minute surprise who will undoubtedly be shooting me dirty looks when I pop a bottle of wine at 10 a.m.

If I had to describe the zen of turkey, I'd say this.
  • From 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock, my plate has turkey. I am not a leg or thigh guy on turkey. But hate chicken breasts.
  • From 3 to 6, it's a scoop of mashed potatoes and either green bean or corn casserole.
  • From 6 til midnight, its stuffing.
Douse liberally with gravy and butter 2 warm rolls. Then eat. When the plate is done, take those two rolls and mop up your plate. The rolls are the encore and the standing O. And, as lame as turkey "could" be at times, you need it in those last handful of roll bites. This isn't the performance of the bass clarinet. It's the sound of the entire orchestra.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Just curious but do you use the same brand of bread? I ask because, for my Mom's stuffing I use Wonder bread. It's the only week of the year I ever buy it but that's what she used, so that's what I use.
Yup - only Wonder bread for my stuffing.

Reaction Score
Am I the only weirdo that actually prefers the can-o-cranberry-jelly to actual home made cranberry sauce? My wife thinks I'm nuts.
If it's your preference, no problem.

However, it was hard on Mrs. Hey! when my family would turn down her excellent homemade cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie for the store bought varieties. After seven years of disappointment, she wised up and finally stopped wasting her effort.

Post-Thanksgiving breakfast suggestion: Stir in a little cranberry sauce with oatmeal. Adds nice sweetness and tart along with the textural pop of the cranberries.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every year I make a dish that is only for Thanksgiving-Mix of green and black olives chopped with chopped carrots and celery. Olive oil, vinegar, pepper, garlic powder oregano and around a teaspoon of sugar.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Every year I make a dish that is only for Thanksgiving-Mix of green and black olives chopped with chopped carrots and celery. Olive oil, vinegar, pepper, garlic powder oregano and around a teaspoon of sugar.
Does this have a name? Is it an old world recipe of some sort?

Reaction Score
Sounds similar to giardiniera.

Reaction Score
Does anyone here do Bagna Càuda? My family friends every year for decades has a Bagna Càuda on New Year's Day with the craziest Italian charcuterie spread. Generations of family and friends chowing down and doing shots together. Such a great time.

Reaction Score
Am I the only weirdo that actually prefers the can-o-cranberry-jelly to actual home made cranberry sauce? My wife thinks I'm nuts.
Only ocean spray tho. Lol

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
No. I know someone who does too....
pU7ZQcEQ8Loxq.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom