What are you binge watching? | Page 67 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't like the first episode. I thought the dialogue was lazy and cliched, but episode 2 was much better and episode 3 was excellent.

Matthew Goode is excellent playing a complicated character, Bob Evans. Evans is a legend in the movie industry, and Goode plays it very well. If Goode was even a little off, the character would come off as a parody.

Ribisi is very good as is Juno Temple. Not crazy about Miles Teller, but he is good enough.
I liked The Offer very much, entertaining. And I especially think they nailed the casting, especially the Bob Evans character.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Constellation was already pretty weird. In Ep6 it goes into uncharted weirdness. It's a total mind feck.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Constellation was already pretty weird. In Ep6 it goes into uncharted weirdness. It's a total mind feck.
Does that mean on the Fringe level of weird or something different? Maybe Twin Peaks weird? Is it good?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Does that mean on the Fringe level of weird or something different? Maybe Twin Peaks weird? Is it good?
Can't say as never got into Tyler Phommachanh and never heard of the other. I think it's good, but I often don't jibe with other folk's tastes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The New Look (AppleTV) is promising through 2 episodes. I thought it was just another celebrity bio-miniseries, but it is quite a bit more. The show is about fashion designers Coco Chanel's and Christian Dior's activities during World War II in occupied Paris. The plot is all over the place, but it appears to be mostly a true story and pretty interesting. Not at all what I expected.

I would recommend ignoring the reviews on The New Look. One of the more disappointing aspects of the decline of traditional media is how idiotic reviewers have become. Reviewers keep trying to paint one character is good and another as a coward, which shows how lazy and stupid so many reviewers have become.

The New Look is not about heroism or evil so much as it is about several not quite regular people (fashion designers) dealing with one of the most difficult periods in modern history. This war story is not meant to be epic or soaring, at least so far, it is just about survival.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Watching ”The Dynasty” about the Pats on Apple. Belichick is a DB (and I don’t mean defensive back). Fair warning, I’m a Giants fan. This doc has made me love Brady, which I didn’t think was possible.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I would recommend ignoring the reviews on The New Look. One of the more disappointing aspects of the decline of traditional media is how idiotic reviewers have become. Reviewers keep trying to paint one character is good and another as a coward, which shows how lazy and stupid so many reviewers have become.

The New Look is not about heroism or evil so much as it is about several not quite regular people (fashion designers) dealing with one of the most difficult periods in modern history. This war story is not meant to be epic or soaring, at least so far, it is just about survival.
It really makes me hate Coco Chanel. She was truly a piece of garbage. I’m not basing this on the series. I’ve done quite a bit of reading on her because of the series. I wish the FFI had had their way with her. She deserved it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is perhaps ironic, given the discussion on the movie trailer thread. Started watching The Gentlemen on Netflix. It's derivative of the movie of the same name. Stars Theo James, Kaya Scodelario and Daniel Ings. We absolutely loved the first two episodes. The dialogue is just so clever. Ings is very funny as Freddy. James and Scodelario have some sexual tension going, even though a relationship isn't suggested yet.
Got to watch the first ep., really enjoyed it. Probably will be a while before I watch the rest of the series, but looking forward to it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Got to watch the first ep., really enjoyed it. Probably will be a while before I watch the rest of the series, but looking forward to it.
Finished it last night. We loved it. Tremendous dialogue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Rewatched the last season of Succession. It may be the best final season of any show in history.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched the first two Episodes of Manhunt (Apple+) yesterday. I was looking forward to it, but have to say I'm not all that impressed with how it's going so far. It's about the manhunt for John Wilkes Booth led by Secretary of War Edwin Stanton. Tobias Menzies is decent as Stanton, but can't say much for the rest of the cast or the writing. I don't know exactly how this manhunt went down, but there seems to be a lot of detail missing, such as there was no Google nor fast cars in 1865, so how did they get investigators out to Harvey Mudd's house so quickly based only on one witnesses account that Booth might have an injured leg leading to the assumption that he'd probably seek out a doctor - and all they were confident about was that Booth was probably in Maryland at the time.

The actor playing Lincoln seemed a bit goofy. Patton Oswalt seems terribly miscast as Stanton's top detective. The women are fairly useless save for Lovie Simone as the slave girl Mary. We've just been introduced to Andrew Johnson, played by longtime character actor Glenn Morshower (who somehow seems younger than he did when he was in 24).

I'll be sticking with it in hopes the storyline and dialogue improve, but can't say I'm impressed at this point. The showrunner, Monica Beletsky, was key to S3 of Fargo, and this appears to be her big breakout gig, but I'm thinking this might've been better with someone more experienced at the helm. We'll see.

Reaction Score

I’ve watched every episode and I have come to hate it.

They basically took a movie’s worth of story and made it into a full season of episode.

I am sick of the cabins. And really don’t care what is happening so I am thoroughly confused because it’s now dealing in at least 3 universes.

The show is neither clever or entertaining.

Reaction Score
Watched the first two Episodes of Manhunt (Apple+) yesterday. I was looking forward to it, but have to say I'm not all that impressed with how it's going so far. It's about the manhunt for John Wilkes Booth led by Secretary of War Edwin Stanton. Tobias Menzies is decent as Stanton, but can't say much for the rest of the cast or the writing. I don't know exactly how this manhunt went down, but there seems to be a lot of detail missing, such as there was no Google nor fast cars in 1865, so how did they get investigators out to Harvey Mudd's house so quickly based only on one witnesses account that Booth might have an injured leg leading to the assumption that he'd probably seek out a doctor - and all they were confident about was that Booth was probably in Maryland at the time.

The actor playing Lincoln seemed a bit goofy. Patton Oswalt seems terribly miscast as Stanton's top detective. The women are fairly useless save for Lovie Simone as the slave girl Mary. We've just been introduced to Andrew Johnson, played by longtime character actor Glenn Morshower (who somehow seems younger than he did when he was in 24).

I'll be sticking with it in hopes the storyline and dialogue improve, but can't say I'm impressed at this point. The showrunner, Monica Beletsky, was key to S3 of Fargo, and this appears to be her big breakout gig, but I'm thinking this might've been better with someone more experienced at the helm. We'll see.

I love that era of history. But the show is rather dry. I don’t know about happy go lucky Abe Lincoln too. Although Daniel Day Lewis was too dry imo.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’ve watched every episode and I have come to hate it.

They basically took a movie’s worth of story and made it into a full season of episode.

I am sick of the cabins. And really don’t care what is happening so I am thoroughly confused because it’s now dealing in at least 3 universes.

The show is neither clever or entertaining.
I can certainly appreciate that take. I'm still enjoying it and want to see how it ties up. I also want to see Henry take down Bud.

Reaction Score
I can certainly appreciate that take. I'm still enjoying it and want to see how it ties up. I also want to see Henry take down Bud.

In the latest episode where the dad goes “not again”. I was like exactly. Not again. How many times are we going to walk across the snow?

There has to be a better way to tell a story.

This show is a great example of what is wrong in streaming. They have a story and try to string it out for as long as possible.

I can’t wait for the episode where we watch what happens from the cat’s perspective.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It really makes me hate Coco Chanel. She was truly a piece of garbage. I’m not basing this on the series. I’ve done quite a bit of reading on her because of the series. I wish the FFI had had their way with her. She deserved it.

I am not going to defend her, but the show does a good job of showing how complicated life was under Nazi occupation. Several members of my extended family were members of the Resistance in Holland, and they were incredibly brave, but they were just regular people so it was easier to hide. Coco Chanel was already a big celebrity when Germany conquered France, and it was impossible for her to stay out of the politics of occupied France. She did a lot that was very wrong, and she should probably have been punished for it, but it was complicated, and the show illustrates that.

I also struggle with the double standard of how so many of that era are treated. History treats Chanel as a collaborator, but Claus von Stauffenberg is considered a hero. Stauffenberg was a very effective officer who fought hard for Nazi domination of Europe, and only turned on and attempted to kill Hitler once it became clear Germany had no chance of winning the war. Even then, his incompetent attempt on Hitler's life likely extended the war because its failure triggered a purge of senior officers that may have made more effective assassins or at least been able to force a revolt within the Wehrmacht rather than a fight to the last man.

Chanel was almost certainly playing both sides, but she probably had to. I have no problem with her attempt to contact the British in Madrid to communicate a willingness by some Germans for a peaceful solution. If Chanel had been successful in 1943, the war might have ended 18 months earlier and saved millions of lives and prevented Soviet domination of the East. I wouldn't say Chanel was a hero in any way, but things are not that black and white.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I started The Tourist on Netflix. Set in the Australian outback, an Irish guy who is there for reasons neither we nor he knows, ends up with amnesia. He looks athletic and capable and while we haven't seen him fight through two episodes, there has to be a Jason Bourne type thing going on. Maybe without the "super soldier" element. I'm enjoying it. Lead guy is sold, and the cast of characters are all distinctive. The outback setting helps and it has a sense of humor.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I started The Tourist on Netflix. Set in the Australian outback, an Irish guy who is there for reasons neither we nor he knows, ends up with amnesia. He looks athletic and capable and while we haven't seen him fight through two episodes, there has to be a Jason Bourne type thing going on. Maybe without the "super soldier" element. I'm enjoying it. Lead guy is sold, and the cast of characters are all distinctive. The outback setting helps and it has a sense of humor.
I enjoyed this. I liked Dornan (the lead) in the Fall (with Gillian Anderson, always easy to watch) and I thought he was better in this.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Arctic Ascent," 3 part documentary with Alex Honnold. On an expedition to a massive 4000 ft. unclimbed wall in remote Greenland.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kinda oddly paced. He's with a team. They took a very circuitous route to the wall so they could do some climate research on several glaciers/ice caps. 2 of the episodes were used up before they even got to the actual objective.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2 episodes into "Fallout" on Prime. A bit slow to get rolling, lots of moving parts. Some interesting characters. Walton Goggins and Ella Purnell are both doing fine in their roles so far. I think I like the mutant bear from this better than the mutant bear from "Annihilation."

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Couldn't sleep last night, so plowed most of the way thru "Fallout." Was enjoying it fairly well thru Ep. 5, then it turned kinda dumb. 1 more ep. to finish it off today.

Reaction Score
I'm through 2 episodes and losing interest. Does it pick up, or is there a new clue each episode? The cinematography is wonderful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom