What are the odds? | The Boneyard

What are the odds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To distract myself from searching endlessly for updates, what do you think are chances are of us being in the ACC in 5 years?

I'm a bit of a pessimist...I'll say 45% chance we're in.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
One of us is way off. I wouldn't be shocked to see us added by December.

With that said, there is not one compelling reason for the ACC to take us.
I'd say 85% to the ACC in the next month or two at the most. No compelling reason? We increase their BB contract significantly. We make the ACC the best BB conference hands down. Even though football drives the bus, don't discount for a minute that BB adds money. How much are we currently putting into the BE in terms of NCAA money from the tourny? A significant amount.

Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of the dumb and dumber scene, when the chick tells him Jim Carey he has a one in a million chance of ending up with her. "So you're telling me I still got CHANCE!!!!"

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The ACC is already the best basketball conference, even without us. The Hartford market is valuable, but only to an extent...

UConn offers more to the Big 10 than the ACC. We give them diversity in terms of a killer basketball program, a totally new market, and other flavors that the ACC already has...the Big 10 appears to be all about football, which is a shame.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
So we have one poster than feels we have a 5% chance to get into the ACC, and another who puts those odds at 85%. Someone is really off.

Herbst may have an idea what those odds are herself. Considering how confident she seems to be, I will be cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
To distract myself from searching endlessly for updates, what do you think are chances are of us being in the ACC in 5 years?

50%
They will add 2 to get to 16 eventually. If FSU leaves (and I'm not 1 who believes Florida will block them) or ND joins, we are in.
Big 10: 10% they are a football conference and we don't fit. They would take Missouri before us and they don't want them either.

Reaction Score
We'll have to know by the end of this year or else recruiting will take a major hit.

90% ACC
5% B1G
5% BE

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think Swofford has given UConn some "assurances". But given the fact that Swofford is an underhanded sleezeball, those "assurances" and a couple of buck will buy Herbst a cup of coffee.

She needs to keep UConn's brand in some other minds. I think the ACC is the most likely but would much prefer the B1G

ACC 60% Big East 20% B1G 15% rest of the field 5%

Reaction Score
I am really sad to say

50% ACC
50% BE

Sad, real sad. To join the ACC is to join the schools which have negotiated behind our backs and to stay in the BE with a lower level of money and competition in both FB and BB. How did UConn get into this situation? How did the school not know what's going on until it was announced that Pitts and Cuse were leaving? Was this the fallout with Hathaway situation?

Reaction Score

95%

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let me clarify:

If UConn tries to rebuild the Big East, these are the odds:

10% ACC
70% Big East as BCS league
20% Big East as version of CUSA East

If Herbst continues this ridiculous, public begging:

0% ACC
20% Big East as a BCS league
50% Big East as version of CUSA East
30% No respectable league will have anything to do with us and we will be lucky to get in the MAC

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If UConn sticks around and they add Air Force, Nacy, ECU, UCF, doesn't matter. They are going to be treated as a complete joke on a national stage. As well they should.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UConn sticks around and they add Air Force, Nacy, ECU, UCF, doesn't matter. They are going to be treated as a complete joke on a national stage. As well they should.

Then you think UConn is totally screwed so why do you care anymore?

Make sure you leave out TCU, WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati and USF, because otherwise your argument doesn't work.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
99% to the ACC and 1% to the B!G within five years.

Much sooner if the B12 implodes. More likely by the end of this calender year they get the formal invite and end up playing in the ACC next season.

So the next question would have to be what are the odds the B12 implodes this calender season?

I would say I'm leaning 80.38% that the B12 falls apart in one month or less.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Then you think UConn is totally screwed so why do you care anymore?

Make sure you leave out TCU, WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati and USF, because otherwise your argument doesn't work.

If you really think that the Big East won't be a joke with ECU and UCF, and MAYBE IF THEY EVEN KEEP WVU and TCU, then I cannot share your absurdly unrealistic optimism.

It's considered a joke now. When they added TCU, the collective national response was "that's nice, it's far, but it's still a bad football conference". Look anywhere you want, cite all the stats, Big East football is still considered a joke.

Reaction Score
I think Swofford has given UConn some "assurances". But given the fact that Swofford is an underhanded sleezeball, those "assurances" and a couple of buck will buy Herbst a cup of coffee.

She needs to keep UConn's brand in some other minds. I think the ACC is the most likely but would much prefer the B1G

ACC 60% Big East 20% B1G 15% rest of the field 5%
Can you imagine Uconn in the Big 10? We would get killed every Saturday in the fall. Uconn football has done better than expected with our level of recruits but playing a Big 10 schedule would be embarassing. Our teams are smaller, slower without depth and we show no signs of attracting better football players. We could be competitive in the ACC. It may be why ND doesn't seem to have interest in the Big 10. As another poster said, ND can't compete with them.
It will either be the ACC or some reformulated BE IMO.

Reaction Score
Let me clarify:

If UConn tries to rebuild the Big East, these are the odds:

10% ACC
70% Big East as BCS league
20% Big East as version of CUSA East

If Herbst continues this ridiculous, public begging:

0% ACC
20% Big East as a BCS league
50% Big East as version of CUSA East
30% No respectable league will have anything to do with us and we will be lucky to get in the MAC

Stop it. Nothing Herbst is doing is hurting us. The BE needs us and isn't kicking us out. Any one of our conference-mates will jump if presented the chance.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine Uconn in the Big 10? We would get killed every Saturday in the fall. Uconn football has done better than expected with our level of recruits but playing a Big 10 schedule would be embarassing. Our teams are smaller, slower without depth and we show no signs of attracting better football players. We could be competitive in the ACC. It may be why ND doesn't seem to have interest in the Big 10. As another poster said, ND can't compete with them.
It will either be the ACC or some reformulated BE IMO.

Isn't this what was said before we joined the BE? How'd that turn out?

You don't avoid competition. There are reasons to go to the ACC over the B1G. This is not one of them.

Reaction Score

85%

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of the dumb and dumber scene, when the chick tells him Jim Carey he has a one in a million chance of ending up with her. "So you're telling me I still got CHANCE!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom