OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

Reaction Score
Can’t stand when stores like Best Buy, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and Walmart have “Security” checking everyone’s receipt on the way out of the store. Unless specifically suspected of shoplifting, they have absolutely no authority to stop me, or recourse when, with my head held high, I give them a “No thanks” and keep walking when they ask to see my receipt.

Also: post/avatar

Also: Principle*

Reaction Score
I actually don't like that either. Had someone grab me by the arm once as I walked out doing the same as what you did. I think THAT is one of those things that is done because a few had to ruin it for everyone else, not that I am excusing it.

On a similar note, I hate to store my back pack with security just so I can enter a store. They usually place your bag in a locker or bin and give you a number. I have a bag because it has my jacket, umbrella, tablet, charger, sunscreen, etc. in their, plus I use it to store my groceries rather than use plastic bags (I have a huge LL Bean bag that has lasted for something like 23 years) so the biggest reason I am bringing it is to use less plastic.

I agree with self check out I don't like using machines to check my groceries and I also can't stand automated helpers when calling 800 numbers or otherwise. I just want to speak to a human!

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm alone, but I adore self checkout. Nothing more painful than watching unmotivated young people with zero inclination to interact with me fumble around attempting to figure whether what they are holding is a leek or an avocado.

Regarding showing receipt at the door and putting back packs in lockers . . . meh. We live in a society where petty theft is tolerated. My relative works in a mall store where they can't do a thing when somebody is stealing. They literally let them take the clothes and walk out, without calling mall security or even addressing them. I have no issues with showing a receipt or putting a bag in a locker. You can always just not shop there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I will not go to the self check out at grocery stores. Hire humans you corporate pigs

I always use self checkout. I’m not standing in those 15 minute lines behind people with carts full of food when I can be out in under a minute.

Do you still wish you had to talk to an operator to connect a phone call? Some jobs disappear. New jobs arise (including programming and fixing those machines).

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I always use self checkout. I’m not standing in those 15 minute lines behind people with carts full of food when I can be out in under a minute.

Do you still wish you had to talk to an operator to connect a phone call? Some jobs disappear. New jobs arise (including programming and fixing those machines).

The goal of automation is not to create an equal number of jobs, though. Its entire purpose is to cut costs, with costs being employed humans.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm alone, but I adore self checkout. Nothing more painful than watching unmotivated young people with zero inclination to interact with me fumble around attempting to figure whether what they are holding is a leek or an avocado.

Regarding showing receipt at the door and putting back packs in lockers . . . meh. We live in a society where petty theft is tolerated. My relative works in a mall store where they can't do a thing when somebody is stealing. They literally let them take the clothes and walk out, without calling mall security or even addressing them. I have no issues with showing a receipt or putting a bag in a locker. You can always just not shop there.

Those unmovativated young people are 16 year olds with a job, unlike most. Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron.

Many others are old people who need health insurance.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Just like i would rather pump my own gas. Anything I can do self serve I will choose.

Reaction Score
I refuse to use drive through lanes. It usually works to my advantage. There could be 7 cars waiting at the drive through and I walk inside and get served with no line. People are getting lazier. Take the free exercise and walk in. I always thought the drive through should be restricted to people with handicap placards. But, like the handicap parking spots, I'm sure that would get abused.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When medical offices ask me to sign something saying I have reviewed their HIPAA I ask them to give it to me so I can review it. Far too often this causes a mad scramble to search for a copy of the form. Sometimes they ask me to just sign and I say "Oh I couldn't do that. That would be lying." with an earnest look on my face. That causes them to pause and look at me for a sec with a confused look on their face and then go back to a frantic search for the form.

Reaction Score
Its entire purpose is to cut costs, with costs being employed humans.
Not entirely true. Other purposes of automation are: improved repeatability, improved service, improved performance, and improved reliability. Think ATMs. Think Redbox. Think Roomba. They don't call out sick. They don't get in filthy moods. They don't quit. They don't call out because, "I got picked up an a warrant that I had dodged for 3 years" - yeah, that's a real story. It's a lot about cutting costs, sure, but in some applications automation would make sense even if it was break even or more expensive.

Reaction Score
Those unmovativated young people are 16 year olds with a job, unlike most. Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron.
Not at all. I suppose it depends on our definition of "motivated." Applying to and getting accepted at Sprawlmart does not, by my definition, constitute "motivated." Therein probably lies the difference between us.
I'm talking about the young woman 3 months ago who was having a running conversation with the woman in front of me that she conducted by pausing after every item BEEP to ask, "really??" Wow!" and so on. I eventually left a cart full of items in the lane and left. Hated to do it, but was out of time. The "scan and go" lanes were down that day.
Maybe people are more motivated where you are. Maybe this hoarde of zombies through which I daily wade is a microculture.

Reaction Score
My hardo side gets triggered like crazy any time I check out at a store and the cashier says "Are you a member of our rewards program?" and I always say "No" and then they ask "Would you like to sign up?"

For some reason, this drives me nuts and I have embarrassed my daughter and girlfriend on many occasions with my sarcastic responses.

Reaction Score
At work, I get handed customer orders that I turn into purchase orders. Oftentimes there are multiple sheets; the system generated order, the customer order, email communications, notes, etc.

For whatever reason, some people have a very hard time just putting all the pages right-side up and stapling them in the correct area. And I'm not talking about slightly imperfect staples. I mean half of a staple holding everything together, staples on the wrong side of the page, 5-6-7 staples to hold 3 pieces of paper together (why???)

It drives me absolutely insane, and I have started giving them back and asking that they take a little pride in their job and make everything presentable. I get a lot of dirty looks, but I don't care. If you can't staple pieces of paper together correctly, how the hell am I supposed to believe there aren't any major errors?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not entirely true. Other purposes of automation are: improved repeatability, improved service, improved performance, and improved reliability. Think ATMs. Think Redbox. Think Roomba. They don't call out sick. They don't get in filthy moods. They don't quit. They don't call out because, "I got picked up an a warrant that I had dodged for 3 years" - yeah, that's a real story. It's a lot about cutting costs, sure, but in some applications automation would make sense even if it was break even or more expensive.

It sounds great until it starts to replace higher level professions. There are hardly any jobs that are automation proof, and we should seriously think about the lengths to which we value efficiency at the expense of giving human beings a sense of meaning and purpose in their careers

Reaction Score
It sounds great until it starts to replace higher level professions. There are hardly any jobs that are automation proof, and we should seriously think about the lengths to which we value efficiency at the expense of giving human beings a sense of meaning and purpose in their careers
Not to get overly political but if we weren't headed for a dystopian corporatocratic future, automation would be the end goal for society. Think of all the art, science and entertainment that would be produced if everyone's basics needs were met through automation.

Reaction Score
The telemarketers for saving me money on insurance. I usually will go along with it until I get fed up and ask them if they think I’m stupid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not to get overly political but if we weren't headed for a dystopian corporatocratic future, automation would be the end goal for society. Think of all the art, science and entertainment that would be produced if everyone's basics needs were met through automation.
Um... every basic need?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom