Western PA, Northern NJ Cablevision Affiliate drops YES | The Boneyard

Western PA, Northern NJ Cablevision Affiliate drops YES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Funny thing is that the BTN is not really about football, but it's about men's and women's basketball, hockey, and Olympic sports. Most of B10's football games are on ESPN, not the BTN. Why would the NY and NJ markets want that? It's not like Rutgers is good in many sports, lack teams in some sports, and has a limited fan base in those sports.

Reaction Score
Funny thing is that the BTN is not really about football, but it's about men's and women's basketball, hockey, and Olympic sports. Most of B10's football games are on ESPN, not the BTN. Why would the NY and NJ markets want that? It's not like Rutgers is good in many sports, lack teams in some sports, and has a limited fan base in those sports.

You're somewhat right, but man BTN has definitely gotten better and basketball-hockey content has been a big part of it.

Someone should post this on FranktheTank - I"m worn out by the abuse over there :p. Though I have a few fellow BIG allies on this site who also support UConn to the BIG.

Reaction Score
You're somewhat right, but man BTN has definitely gotten better and basketball-hockey content has been a big part of it.

Someone should post this on FranktheTank - I"m worn out by the abuse over there :p. Though I have a few fellow BIG allies on this site who also support UConn to the BIG.

Somewhat right? Rutgers has poor men's basketball, a decent women's basketball team, but limited fan support, and no hockey team. OK, the BTN may have one or two Rutgers football games per year, but how is this an incentive for cable networks to add the BTN to the basic cable package?

In contrast, SNY has proven there is demand for a sports network that includes UConn sports and that customers will pay.

Reaction Score
Metrocast Cable in eastern Connecticut also dropped YES....on opening day of baseball. I'm sure lots of Yankee fans here are 'thrilled'.

Dropped or moved to a different payment tier?

Reaction Score
Somewhat right? Rutgers has poor men's basketball, a decent women's basketball team, but limited fan support, and no hockey team. OK, the BTN may have one or two Rutgers football games per year, but how is this an incentive for cable networks to add the BTN to the basic cable package?

In contrast, SNY has proven there is demand for a sports network that includes UConn sports and that customers will pay.

What I am saying now, not conveyed in the last post, the BTN will find its way into households in Jersey ad Md because those are the home states of UMD and Rutgers - it won't happen overnight - it didn't here in Minnesota and many other traditional BIG states right away.

But hey now, if YES is getting locked out of say CT, despite a presence of Yankee fans and people who commute to NYC for work, then we have further necessary proof to pressure the Park Ridge analysts to put a poker up the behinds of BIG presidents and get UConn aboard.

Reaction Score
Within 10 years, the B1G network will be available to online subscribers separate from cable subscribers.

And enough people will pay in B1G states. And, seeing how much SNY was able to extract from cable subscribers in CT, if UConn were in the B1G, they'd get a sizable pay day in our state.

Reaction Score
What I am saying now, not conveyed in the last post, the BTN will find its way into households in Jersey ad Md because those are the home states of UMD and Rutgers - it won't happen overnight - it didn't here in Minnesota and many other traditional BIG states right away.

But hey now, if YES is getting locked out of say CT, despite a presence of Yankee fans and people who commute to NYC for work, then we have further necessary proof to pressure the Park Ridge analysts to put a poker up the behinds of BIG presidents and get UConn aboard.

Maryland has some non-football sports that have had some success and fans, but Rutgers does not. I could see cable systems in Maryland adding the BTN, but Maryland has just lost all of their popular rivals like UNC, Duke, NC State, and UVa. It will be interesting to see how the fans support playing their new rivals.

In contrast, Minnesota has fans and teams the fans like to support. Of course the cable networks were going to pick up the BTN.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I honestly think this is the most under-reported, and possibly most crucial, aspect of the Rutgers to B1G move, as it pertains to the BTN.

1) How much is BTN going to try to up the rates to subscribers?
2) Cablevision is somewhat infamous for carriage disputes. Hardball?
3) Where will the rates move most? I would be rightly angry if, as someone who lives in Fairfield County, that my rates would go up to see Rutgers. Piss off...

Reaction Score
Delaney has said numerous times that the main goal for the BTN is to establish a footprint in the Northeast. Are we really to believe that this plan will start and end with the additions of Maryland and Rutgers? Please. This was step one of a multi-step plan. We need to respect the traditional aspects of the Big Ten(contiguous states, aau, etc.) and understand that UConn is taken all the necessary steps to be included going forward. How am I sure? Because none of this make sense, neither the actions of the Big Ten nor UConn, otherwise.

Reaction Score
As Fox is an owner of the BTN and YES are they going to use the Yankeess to get the BTN coverage in NYC area?

Reaction Score
As Fox is an owner of the BTN and YES are they going to use the Yankeess to get the BTN coverage in NYC area?

The biggest problem the BTN will face in NYC is cost for limited interest. Currently, YES + SNY + MSG + MSG Plus + ESPN networks = $16/month for basic cable subscribers in NYC!

Reaction Score

I can see the cable systems successfully fighting that with a PR campaign that says, "We are trying to bring you the content you want while controlling costs. We want to bring you the Yankees but Fox is trying to force you to pay for Rutgers field hockey coverage too. Tell Fox you only want to pay for the Yankees and not pad it with expensive coverage you have no interest in watching."

I suspect that would be an extremely effective strategy in the NY/CT parts of the metropolitan area and would even appeal to many in NJ.

Reaction Score
I just don't get the BTN. Each team is required to be on twice and with one game being a conference game. So a quick looks sees OSU played Florida A&M and Purdue. They won those games by the combined score of 132-0. And then I see Indiana played 8 of their games on the BTN. If I am an Ohio resident I would be wondering why I would want to get BTN. I guess we can assume 8 or so Rutgers games will be on BTN.

Reaction Score
I just don't get the BTN. Each team is required to be on twice and with one game being a conference game. So a quick looks sees OSU played Florida A&M and Purdue. They won those games by the combined score of 132-0. And then I see Indiana played 8 of their games on the BTN. If I am an Ohio resident I would be wondering why I would want to get BTN. I guess we can assume 8 or so Rutgers games will be on BTN.
Right. I'm betting there comes a day when it's an online format, and the BTN owns pretty much all the rights to games. It would become something like WatchESPN, and a repository for old games and whatnot.

Bur now? Ohio has very little reason for it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

YES wasn't available to some in Fairfield County (directly attached to greater NYC) for a while as the cable companies were fighting over carriage rates.

The spread of the BTN didn't happen overnight because BTN was in its infancy. BTN is already available in Central CT as a distinct channel separate from the ESPNS, CSN, FSN, NBCSN, CBSSN, etc., but it's offered on a tier with the PAC 12 Network and Tennis channel.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
OSU Baseball, Big Ten track meets, that sort of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom