Western expansion at risk? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Western expansion at risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
None of us knows jack. Some things are logical, some emotional, some make no sense at all.

On the logical side, there are some major universities in mountain states that have been also-rans for years. Much as the proposed CUSA-MWC merger attempted, it is logical for Boise & SDSU to desire an all sports membership in a conference that is geographically feasible. It is logical for Louisville and UConn, the two best brands in the NBE, to want out. I'm sure Rutgers does as well.

The Florida and Texas schools want to avoid CUSA purgatory...and you can add Memphis. It would be logical for SFU, CFU, Houston, SMU and Memphis to be willing to form the eastern division of an all sports league that might also feature Boise, SDSU, Nevada, New Mexico and ?? (UNLV, Utah St., CO St.). Maybe Cincy would be around as well, and they can make it 12 teams. This is no rumor...it is merely a logical scenario that would almost certainly have some appeal. So let's just say that if UConn, RU and Louisville could depart the BE and find soft landings, I don't think anybody would be upset, except perhaps Notre Dame, and probably Cincinnati.

The status quo is garbage. between the BB only teams and their agendas, the somewhat undesireable new programs coming in, the FB only schools struggling to find a home for other sports, and the clear desire of at least 3, and probably 4 members to leave, the new formula looks to have a very short shelf life. Notre Dame is the only thing holding it together, and they are stuggling to do so.

Reaction Score
None of us knows jack. .

Exactly. and that's the way it should be right now. The only thing you've got in a situation like this is trust in the chain of command. I've never lost complete faith in the leadership of the University of Connecticut to do what's best for this university.

I lost faith in that chain command extending further up the athletic chain though when Syracuse and Pitt showed their colors, that friday night last fall, when we were playing Iowa State. But I've regained it. Right now, there are 18 colleges around the country, that are either re-establishign the same thing, or establishing it for the first time.

Next time we play Iowa State or any other big 12 program BTW - I'm hoping and expecting to be playing on Saturday afternoon instead of friday night.

Reaction Score
It would be logical for SFU, CFU, Houston, SMU and Memphis to be willing to form the eastern division of an all sports league that might also feature Boise, SDSU, Nevada, New Mexico and ?? (UNLV, Utah St., CO St.).

No, it wouldn't be logical. They wanted to be in the BigEast because the BE has some value -- not just monetarily, but exposure, name recognition, and recruiting. Those schools should have no desire to let in more teams that are further going to dilute the brand.

So let's just say that if UConn, RU and Louisville could depart the BE and find soft landings, I don't think anybody would be upset, except perhaps Notre Dame, and probably Cincinnati.

And they sure as hell don't want to lose marquee names like UConn and Louisville.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Even better. Your position is I am not going to take a position so that way I can't be wrong, but I will continue to throw darts at anyone who does take a position. Joy.

I will put you down for "Big 12 won't expand". There, it's done.

Put me down for anything you want. I don't care about being wrong or right. I just don't want to wade through post after post of BS trying to find worthy nuggets of information. You post a lot of nonsense, none of which you can back up except with more nonsense.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And they sure as hell don't want to lose marquee names like UConn and Louisville.

I don't think they have a choice.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That wasn't the issue. You claimed they wouldn't be upset.

With UConn, Louisville and Rutgers in the league, the BB only schools will not break off, and the western schools will (1) never be added for all sports and (2) not have further close geographic rivals. I think it is a stretch and then some to suggest that a school like Nevada is less valuable than UConn from a pure football perspective. Since the western schools won't play the other sports, having UConn and Rutgers, plus the BB schools, is no better than neutral. Louisville is a different story.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
drop army, ecu, ust, and unr and it's not bad...

Why drop UNR? They have the best football team other than Boise and best hoop besides SDSU. Oh, by the way, im a UNR season ticket holder.

Reaction Score
If I had to pick the Big 12's expansion right this second, I would say:

#11: FSU
#12: Clemson

#13: Louisville
#14: BYU (Football Only)/Notre Dame (non-football sports).

That rumor has been out there for a while, from multiple "insiders" from different schools.
listening to sirius college sports, they mentioned that ND is actively looking at joining Big12 for all sports but football.

Reaction Score
Why drop UNR? They have the best football team other than Boise and best hoop besides SDSU. Oh, by the way, im a UNR season ticket holder.
not really up to me, but since you make a great argument, they're in!!!!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm actively thinking about dating Kate Hudson.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Even with the new system they probably have the best chance to make the play-off, based on their historical performance. There's a lot of money for conferences who can get teams into the play-off so I think there is still a real reason why the Big East still wants them in. They may well fall off and not be as good as they have been, but if they can maintain their momentum of basically being a top 10 team it would really help the Big East going forward.
That's a good argument for why the BE needs Boise, but it doesn't address the claim that Boise could form their own league of Boise and friends.

Reaction Score
That's a good argument for why the BE needs Boise, but it doesn't address the claim that Boise could form their own league of Boise and friends.

The Big East is more of an established brand and has some inherent value due to the higher brand awareness of the league and of it's high profile hoops and football members.

Reaction Score
My outsider opinion is that Boise needs money. They're going to have to pay somebody to land their non-football sports somewhere, and there's no reason to think that they can't find a way to get the money that they need do to do it as the spring and summer move on.

Reaction Score
SOB. Oh well. Get UMASS and East Carolina on speed dial I guess. Maybe UMASS can drive BC into further sports oblivion. That's our only consolation.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the Big East holds together, I think Boise stays, but they are going to demand a LOT of home and homes in hoops to do so. Like 5 or 6 games a year, and I think it is a very reasonable request and the basketball schools should pitch in. If they get that, they can schedule 2 or 3 other major or near major opponents for hoops and probably stomach the Big Sky or someplace for the rest of their sports.

I think returning to the MWC is very unappealing to Boise right now. Combining the worst teams of the MWC with the worst teams of the WAC does not make for a very attractive league. I think Boise would like to stay in the Big East, but the basketball situation is a problem, and if Louisville leaves it really isn't worth it. Boise has 5 schools, SDSU, Memphis, SMU and Houston, that are free agents if Louisville leaves the BE, are west to kind of west, and would be a good foundation for a new all-sports league that could include UNLV, CSU, Fresno and whoever else.

If Louisville leaves, I think Boise is gone, and I think they make a pitch to some of the other BE additions to come with them.

Reaction Score
My outsider opinion is that Boise needs money. They're going to have to pay somebody to land their non-football sports somewhere, and there's no reason to think that they can't find a way to get the money that they need do to do it as the spring and summer move on.

I think its a fair assessment. I have a hard time seeing Boise State not joining, but the other sports could be an issue and those other sports may require a little financial assistance to find a home

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I just think the money revenue is too large a gap for Boise to NOT come to the BE. The article said the the MWC makes btwn 1-2 million per school. Even in a worst case scenario the BE will pull in 10+ million per school. That is too appealing to pass up.

The interesting part of the article was that SDSU has already removed itself from the MWC. I don't think they'd do that without knowing Boise was all in already.

I expect many more bs articles like this throughout the summer. Until there's a new tv deal, expect many more stories about Boise, UL, or any BE school looking or rumored to be out of the league.

Reaction Score
I just think the money revenue is too large a gap for Boise to NOT come to the BE. The article said the the MWC makes btwn 1-2 million per school. Even in a worst case scenario the BE will pull in 10+ million per school. That is too appealing to pass up.

The interesting part of the article was that SDSU has already removed itself from the MWC. I don't think they'd do that without knowing Boise was all in already.

I expect many more bs articles like this throughout the summer. Until there's a new tv deal, expect many more stories about Boise, UL, or any BE school looking or rumored to be out of the league.

I would guess that SDSU withdrew because they already have an agreement to join a conference for their other sports. Boise is playing it cautiously and won't withdraw unless they actually find a home for their other sports that they are comfortable with. I wouldn't mind seeing them get a full invite to the BE if that is what they want. We want them to come in and prop up our conference for football but are telling them that we don't want their other sports. If I was them I'd have reservations too. I understand that the money is greater in the short term but it still is a pretty big decision to join a conference for one sport without ever knowing if they will allow your other sports to join at some point down the line. It's kinda like being a second class citizen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think SDSU probably knew it had a shorter leash than Boise does with the Big East. If SDSU got too cute with withdrawing from the MWC, they could have found themselves without a Big East invitation.

The MWC will get a better deal in a couple of years when their contract comes up. They signed a very long-term deal a long time ago that has bit them in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom