Western expansion at risk? | The Boneyard

Western expansion at risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
According to reports, Boise St has officially asked the BE for help in finding a landing spot for their non-football schools (since their original plan of WAC membership seems to be imploding). This may end up becoming Boise St telling the BE that we have to take them for all sports or else they aren't coming.

Never a dull moment in the Big East! :rolleyes:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maybe we need Boise less if the BCS auto bid goes the way of the dinosaur. Don't think this changes anything with the Texas schools though.

Reaction Score
The obvious, and really only, answer is Big Sky. Are they telling Boise no?

The West Coast Conf is all private & religious.
The Big West & the Summit are the next closest, but in each case pretty far away.
It's Big Sky or bust.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't think Boise is going anywhere but to the BE for FB, at least. Granted, this all hinges on the TV deal, but there's no shot that the MWC will be able to offer nearly enough money to Boise that the NBE will be able to. Travel costs aside, the money difference will just be too large of a gap.

So Boise can ask for help, but look for them to come to the BE anyways. The National TV coverage alone will be enough to get them to come. I still believe that the NBE will get better national coverage than the MWC will for years to come.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
all sports, lets go!!!

west-bsu/sdsu/fresno/byu/unlv/smu/uh//unr/cst/ust
east-uconn/ruty/temple/cincy/lville/mem/ecu/usf/ucf/navy/army

fball play your division plus a cross over for 10 games. div winners goto ship game at higher ranked teams place.
bball division play round robins with top 6 from each goto tney
other sports just play in your division. there you go. big contract, lots of programing, all sports are ok, matchups are good, travel isn't bad.

get the biggest contract possible with the most teams playing the most sports possible.

Reaction Score
all sports, lets go!!!

fball play your division plus a cross over for 10 games. div winners goto ship game at higher ranked teams place.
other sports just play in your division. there you go. big contract, lots of programing, all sports are ok, matchups are good, travel isn't bad.

get the biggest contract possible with the most teams playing the most sports possible.

shoot me now

Reaction Score
all sports, lets go!!!

drop army, ecu, ust, and unr and it's not bad...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
shoot me now

First, shoot Dan.

Then, shoot us. That's just a duck*ing horrid conference in every way, shape and form.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With the new playoff system, Boise could hang a shingle for the Boise Conference outside their office, and every single program outside of the Big 5 would be sending in an application to join.

This is quite a pickle for the Big East, and Boise is clearly throwing down the gauntlet for an all-sports membership, except they will want some neighbors I would imagine.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
With the new playoff system, Boise could hang a shingle for the Boise Conference outside their office, and every single program outside of the Big 5 would be sending in an application to join.

This is quite a pickle for the Big East, and Boise is clearly throwing down the gauntlet for an all-sports membership, except they will want some neighbors I would imagine.

Here are the programs worth a damn outside the 'Big 5' that aren't already in Boise's conference:

BYU

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good wager: Who spends more days in Big East? TCU or Boise?

Reaction Score
With the new playoff system, Boise could hang a shingle for the Boise Conference outside their office, and every single program outside of the Big 5 would be sending in an application to join..

what exactly is your rationale for teams wanting to flock under the Boise St banner? the only reason we want them is b/c to maintain our autobid we needed to maintain a minimum ranking in the polls. it looks like that's all out the window so all they offer is a 37k stadium in the middle of nowhere and some moderate TV interest. we need them now b/c we made this big western expansion, but if WVU, Cuse and Pitt didn't announce they were leaving until today i don't think we'd be offering them membership with the new playoff rules that are supposed to materialize.

Reaction Score
what exactly is your rationale for teams wanting to flock under the Boise St banner? the only reason we want them is b/c to maintain our autobid we needed to maintain a minimum ranking in the polls. it looks like that's all out the window so all they offer is a 37k stadium in the middle of nowhere and some moderate TV interest. we need them now b/c we made this big western expansion, but if WVU, Cuse and Pitt didn't announce they were leaving until today i don't think we'd be offering them membership with the new playoff rules that are supposed to materialize.

Even with the new system they probably have the best chance to make the play-off, based on their historical performance. There's a lot of money for conferences who can get teams into the play-off so I think there is still a real reason why the Big East still wants them in. They may well fall off and not be as good as they have been, but if they can maintain their momentum of basically being a top 10 team it would really help the Big East going forward.

Reaction Score

As of now, they will help add legitimacy to the league. If Boise, Houston, and one or two of UConn, Rutgers or Louisville(assuming they stay) can play top 25 ball over the next two years, the NBE might flourish. The deck is stacked against it, but it's possible. If the western expansion goes down the tubes, there just aren't enough decent programs in the league to expect any significant level of success for the league as a whole.

I am still wondering if BYU is an ace up the Big East's sleeve right now. If BYU can be given a deal that works for them, it's a new ball game. The NBE would then be in much better shape.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Even with the new system they probably have the best chance to make the play-off, based on their historical performance. There's a lot of money for conferences who can get teams into the play-off so I think there is still a real reason why the Big East still wants them in. They may well fall off and not be as good as they have been, but if they can maintain their momentum of basically being a top 10 team it would really help the Big East going forward.

+100

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As of now, they will help add legitimacy to the league. If Boise, Houston, and one or two of UConn, Rutgers or Louisville(assuming they stay) can play top 25 ball over the next two years, the NBE might flourish. The deck is stacked against it, but it's possible. If the western expansion goes down the tubes, there just aren't enough decent programs in the league to expect any significant level of success for the league as a whole.

I am still wondering if BYU is an ace up the Big East's sleeve right now. If BYU can be given a deal that works for them, it's a new ball game. The NBE would then be in much better shape.

If I had to pick the Big 12's expansion right this second, I would say:

#11: FSU
#12: Clemson

#13: Louisville
#14: BYU (Football Only)/Notre Dame (non-football sports).

That rumor has been out there for a while, from multiple "insiders" from different schools.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If I had to pick the Big 12's expansion right this second, I would say:

#11: FSU
#12: Clemson

#13: Louisville
#14: BYU (Football Only)/Notre Dame (non-football sports).

That rumor has been out there for a while, from multiple "insiders" from different schools.

I happen to have sources in the Big 12. I can say, unequivocably, that although all four schools have been acknowledged, none are currently under serious consideration

Reaction Score
i haven't seen anything that said conferences would get anything for one team's appearance in the playoff. i know conferences split bowl money under current arrangements, but does anyone really think Boise would form it's own conference just to split that money with a bunch of WAC and MWC castaways? why wouldn't they just go independent?

also in regards to Funster, unless you're going to name your source (or at least their position or how they would know) don't bother quoting him. i don't doubt your sincerity, but for every one person that actually knows someone there's dozens who like to make stuff like that up and as a third party observer i have to assume they're all B-S

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
i haven't seen anything that said conferences would get anything for one team's appearance in the playoff. i know conferences split bowl money under current arrangements, but does anyone really think Boise would form it's own conference just to split that money with a bunch of WAC and MWC castaways? why wouldn't they just go independent?

also in regards to Funster, unless you're going to name your source (or at least their position or how they would know) don't bother quoting him. i don't doubt your sincerity, but for every one person that actually knows someone there's dozens who like to make stuff like that up and as a third party observer i have to assume they're all B-S

TBH, I don't have any sources and it was a bit of trolling to get a response from nelsonmuntz. 99% of these rumors are completely unsourced and a majority of the grow bigger and bigger each time they are rehashed. However, if people want to believe a particular rumor, they'll manufacture validity because they want it to be valid. You and I may know that they are likely BS but too much gets passed off as fact.

Yesterday someone posted that Clemson was definitely looking to move and the university even publicly said so. When I asked for proof, I was directed to a blog...that quoted a blog...that had a vague quote from a former AD.

I understand that this topic is going to be rife with rumor and speculation, it's the nature of the beast. I just wanted to tweak nelson and demonstrate how some rumor is unsupported, unverifiable nonsense. I like to tilt windmills too but that's another story...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I happen to have sources in the Big 12. I can say, unequivocably, that although all four schools have been acknowledged, none are currently under serious consideration

Funster's position is the Big 12 will not expand. I would love it if you were right, because then the Big East would hold together.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Funster,

Just curious, but why do you take any implied threat to the ACC so personally? Are you a fan of a team in that league?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I could give two craps about the ACC right now. As a UConn fan, I'd be relatively happy if FSU and Clemson moved from the ACC to the B12 because that would enhance UConn's chances to move to the ACC which would be a step up from the NBE.

But here is the thing: there are no credible statements from anyone about those two universities leaving.

My issue is with you. You come here with your own opinions and beliefs. I have no problem with that. We all do. However, you go way beyond that. Rumors, speculation and opinions that dovetail with your's become fact in your mind. Everything else is immediately discounted and dismissed. I've seen you shoot down reasonble theories because they are unsourced when the reality is they simply don't fit in your world. And yet when you see something that fits in your world, it becomes the Gospel truth no matter that your source is some message board mod who is actually almost a real journalist.

You post some of the most mind numbing, tedious stuff. You relentlessly misread people's posts and make assumptions (such as claiming I take threats against the ACC personally) because you fail at some of the most basic cognitive reading skills. In short you've become a caricature of yourself. And most of this board suffers for it. You're not a dumb person. However, you need to a) back off from this stuff for a bit and b) need to be open to opinions other than yours. You're not an expert on this. The people you choose to believe aren't experts either. They are more or less just like the rest of us. People with opinions and a varying degree of insight.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Funster's position is the Big 12 will not expand. I would love it if you were right, because then the Big East would hold together.

No. that's not my position. I don't know what is going to happen. I'm also not going to believe a bunch of unsourced, unverified internet rumors.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No. that's not my position. I don't know what is going to happen. I'm also not going to believe a bunch of unsourced, unverified internet rumors.

Even better. Your position is I am not going to take a position so that way I can't be wrong, but I will continue to throw darts at anyone who does take a position. Joy.

I will put you down for "Big 12 won't expand". There, it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom