Westbrook waiver denied | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Westbrook waiver denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wait a minute, we had to wait till November to find out that the waiver was denied. I’m still trying to figure out how Shepard gets granted a waiver with no immediate coaching change, but Westbrook can’t???
My feeling exactly!! It’s hard to remember when the NCAA treated UConn favorably. Not saying that other schools don’t get the shaft, but we rarely seem to receive a fair outcome. The NCAA’s poor reputation, based on their poor judgment and incompetencies, obviously continues. ( Witness their late, and so far inadequate response, to the issue of paying college athletes. Geno has it right....a real “out of touch”, sad group—with more power than they know how to properly use!

Reaction Score
Those of you who have been around since the 1995 know what Tenn fans can be like. Not all Tenn fans but many. We remember how we were treated and how they came over to our board and tried to tear us apart for beating them. We remember when we got EDD Caroline Doty and Maya Moore and what Tenn did? Gave us a 37 page NCAA violaton that was pretty much thrown out but caused alot of paperwork. I dont doubt for one minute that Tenn did not go into detail on how Westbrook and her family were treated by the fans and others. The venom that some Tenn fans used against UConn was absolutely terrible. Im speaking from experiences. This renewed series which I am totally against and have been, is just a continued hatred towards UConn and a coverup of what some of their fans are like. As far as the appeal goes...well all we can do is hope and hold the NCAA accountable.
I wasn’t a fan at the time because I was very young, so I can’t tell you about your experience. What I can tell you is that with the rivalry renewed it’s only going to get worse now especially with the way media, reporters, and social platforms are today.

Reaction Score
She should have hired a lawyer like Justin Fields did. The racial slur couldn't have been that bad because the Fields family allowed their daughter to continue to attend Georgia on a softball scholarship. “On January 4, 2019, Fields announced his intent to transfer to Ohio State. Fields, who would normally be required to sit out for one year due to NCAA transfer rules, sought a waiver to be able to play immediately for Ohio State. Fields enlisted the help of attorney Thomas Mars, who helped secure immediate eligibility for several transfers from Ole Miss in 2018, including quarterback Shea Patterson. Mars and Fields argued that Fields should be granted a waiver for immediate eligibility due to an NCAA guideline that waives the waiting period for athletes with "documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete."”

Reaction Score
You people are crazy if you think a freshman Fudd is going to start over a 5th year Westbrook!
I don't believe I mentioned anything about starting fives. I don't worry about starters, I care who's on the floor in the 4th quarter of a close game. My point was that if Fudd wants to go to UConn, she won't be deterred by the presence of Westbrook or anybody else.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't believe I mentioned anything about starting fives. I don't worry about starters, I care who's on the floor in the 4th quarter of a close game. My point was that if Fudd wants to go to UConn, she won't be deterred by the presence of Westbrook or anybody else.

That is the kind of positivity I want to hear to calm me down. :)

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Source on the denial of original waiver request?

I don't think that there has been any news regarding Prince's request. At least that's my understanding of what Graves said in an interview last week.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I certainly hope that Evina gets fair treatment eventually.

I also think that the UConn v. Tennessee series renewal will be limited to 2 games. Geno didn't particularly want to renew. He certainly won't cut Tennessee any favors now.

Reaction Score
It seems like the NCAA is slowly painting itself into a corner where it will become irrelevant and schools will do what they want to do. Apparently, the NCAA sees itself as a strong central power, but the leagues have a mind of their own. Eventually each league will decide its own rules and if they want a player to play that transfers, it will be done. Central control will be diminished because their decisions are not for the student and individual freedom of action. It is only a matter of time.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Shepard's tweet was in response to the first and wouldn't post separately. I just thought it's interesting that she's opining on the situation. And it wasn't her only one on the topic.
My impression of Shepard just took a huge hit. She sounds like an NCAA spokesperson. How can she know with certainty that the school has nothing to do with the decision? Just because you benefited from a process doesn't mean it has integrity.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't think that there has been any news regarding Prince's request. At least that's my understanding of what Graves said in an interview last week.
Yes, I was hoping @willtalk would either acknowledge the error or provide the source that apparently no one else has seen

Reaction Score
The waiver situation with Evina boils down to simple contract law.Rather than appealing the NCAA decision, I would go to the courts seeking a reversal based on violation of contract. It is established knowledge that players pick schools based on a coach’s recruiting. When the coach involved in that recruiting is fired, it relieves the player from said contract, even if such is not stated in scholarship offer. A legal ruling to that effect would immediately simplify the waiver process.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think it's safe to say that this decision by the NCAA has opened up some old wounds among both fan bases. For better or for worse it certainly adds a lot more spice for the upcoming match up. That my friends I like very much.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The waiver situation with Evina boils down to simple contract law.Rather than appealing the NCAA decision, I would go to the courts seeking a reversal based on violation of contract. It is established knowledge that players pick schools based on a coach’s recruiting. When the coach involved in that recruiting is fired, it relieves the player from said contract, even if such is not stated in scholarship offer. A legal ruling to that effect would immediately simplify the waiver process.
Did you really think about this?
A contract between who?
Which court(s) are you proposing Evina walks into. She's from Oregon, played at TN, and is now attending UCONN & NCAA HQ is in Indiana?
If TN violated this "alleged" contract why would that allow her to play at UCONN immediately?
FYI a scholarship agreement is between the player and the University without regard for the coach.
By signing a scholarship agreement a player voluntarily agreed to abide by NCAA rules there is not a court in America that is able to grant her relief from the NCAA rules.

Attachments

• 1572712627851.png
    1572712627851.png
    451.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good luck. I hope you're not a lawyer.

Reaction Score
It is established knowledge that players pick schools based on a coach’s recruiting.

That doesn't mean a damn thing in a contract. It may be "established knowledge" that people consider the neighborhood before buying a house, but if you sign the purchase contract on a home today and discover a crack house next door tomorrow, you are still stuck buying the house. The only "established knowledge" that matters is what is established in the contract, period.

If you want to play for a specific coach, it's simple. Don't sign a LOI. Don't accept a scholarship. Just walk on. If the coach leaves at the end of the season, walk on to wherever he's going.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As much as I feel bad about Evina personally, I also think this greatly complicates our recruitment.

By pushing her back to 2021, 2022 I worry that this will make it harder to recruit Azzi since a three guard rotation of CW (Sr) , Paige (Sophmore) and Evina(Sr) would be pretty firmly established and Azzi would most likely be coming off the bench her freshman year. For those who say Evina would have left for the WNBA, she needs 2 years to establish herself at a level where she can go pro imho.

And from Evina's point of view, I doubt she would beat out Paige coming in at the same time so Evina would probably be the third guard

If she had 2020 to establish herself in the system and excel, I think in 2021, she would have been the 2nd guard with Paige coming in off the bench (significant minutes of course) which I think Paige would have no issue with psychologically and Evina would have the experience to make a push for top status and strong potential for the WNBA

I would love some one to tell me I am dead wrong.
Uh, dead wrong by your own criteria. 1) you doubt Evina will beat out Paige, 2) Azzi is better than Paige, 3) Azzi beats out Evina. Don't you just love it!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
To be fair, UConn only submitted the waiver request in early October. Maybe someone needs to ask Geno why they waited several months. I bash the NCAA on the reg, but making a decision on a waiver request in 3-4 weeks is pretty good and above and beyond my expectations even if I dislike the outcome.
Probably to see if she was healing correctly from her surgery. There is no sense wasting time on a player who is medically unable to play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Uh, dead wrong by your own criteria. 1) you doubt Evina will beat out Paige, 2) Azzi is better than Paige, 3) Azzi beats out Evina. Don't you just love it!

Well, I said if paige and evina enter as 1st year players in the uconn system, i think paige would win that competition.

When Azzi would come in, Evina would have a year under her belt so edge to Evina

Also, I do not agree that Azzi is better than paige. Pretty equal imho.

Reaction Score
What percentage of appeals is eventually granted?? Is there a difference in women's versus men's basketball?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Evina is 6 feet tall, the same height as Maya Moore. You don't think she would start at wing?
No I don't think she would start at the wing over senior Megan Walker nor 6'3" freshman Aaliyah Edwards.
Evina through HS, AAU and at TN was a combo guard. Playing on the wing would required her to switch position and she would have to improve her perimeter defense drastically.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
My impression of Shepard just took a huge hit. She sounds like an NCAA spokesperson. How can she know with certainty that the school has nothing to do with the decision? Just because you benefited from a process doesn't mean it has integrity.
I feel like you're reading more into her tweet than she said. She didn't say the process has integrity, nor that the situation at the transfer-out school has nothing to do with it. She simply said that the transfer-in school is irrelevant and that the application is about the player's situation.

As for how she knows? Because she went through it, then appealed after she was denied the first time. She's presumably intimately familiar with what the process asks of the player. Unless someone on this board has more experience than that, with all due respect, I'd defer to her over any of you.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I feel like you're reading more into her tweet than she said. She didn't say the process has integrity, nor that the situation at the transfer-out school has nothing to do with it. She simply said that the transfer-in school is irrelevant and that the application is about the player's situation.

As for how does does she know? Because she went through it, then appealed after she was denied the first time. She's presumably intimately familiar with what the process asks of the player. Unless someone on this board has more experience than that, with all due respect, I'd defer to her over any of you.
The saying "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" comes to mind.

So because she, as a sample size of one, has firsthand anecdotal experience, she suddenly is the authority who can make sweeping comments about how the process works for every single athlete.

She can't possibly know for certain, for example, that her request wasn't aided as a result of being a transfer to Notre Dame. She may sincerely believe that it was no factor, but believing and knowing are two different things. (One would think a Notre Dame graduate would've been taught that difference.) Even her own dad said he had no idea why the request was approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom