Westbrook waiver denied | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Westbrook waiver denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As much as I feel bad about Evina personally, I also think this greatly complicates our recruitment.

By pushing her back to 2021, 2022 I worry that this will make it harder to recruit Azzi since a three guard rotation of CW (Sr) , Paige (Sophmore) and Evina(Sr) would be pretty firmly established and Azzi would most likely be coming off the bench her freshman year. For those who say Evina would have left for the WNBA, she needs 2 years to establish herself at a level where she can go pro imho.

And from Evina's point of view, I doubt she would beat out Paige coming in at the same time so Evina would probably be the third guard

If she had 2020 to establish herself in the system and excel, I think in 2021, she would have been the 2nd guard with Paige coming in off the bench (significant minutes of course) which I think Paige would have no issue with psychologically and Evina would have the experience to make a push for top status and strong potential for the WNBA

I would love some one to tell me I am dead wrong.
If Makurat is as good as we’re hearing, and I think she will be, she’ll contend for a position as well.

Reaction Score
A bit of Orange intrigue here ....

View attachment 47655
HOT DAMN!! Surprise, surprise, surprise U Tenn didn't provide accurate information on Westbook.
I'm one who praised U Tenn and Jolly for being decent human beings. All those that said I was an idiot--I now accept your assessment. The information we read, as minimal as it may have been indicated she was living in a hostile atmosphere with UT, players, Fans, who knows maybe coaches and Sports Dept. If that isn't an EEO complaint and reason for transfer without delay---what did ND give on Shepherd??? --

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Jay Bilas is making a statement about this then I think there's a good chance that Evina is granted a waiver on appeal. I feel sorry for her & other recruits that have to go through this long drawn out process.
Jay Bilas, in addition to being an astute analyst, is a practicing attorney with a Duke Law degree. I'm sure he is more competent on these issues than the NCAA folks.

Reaction Score

I read this to my wife an she said: "I knew Geno would come out and defend her. She has RIGHTs Too! They don't OWN us. "
Apparently the NCAA thinks they do.
I don't think any decisions would actually hurt UConn with the talent on board now. But EVINA WESTBROOK deserves caring and proper treatment from and organization whose function is to PROTECT PLAYERS.
I question the need for the NCAA if all they do is create problems, wave a magic wand for those who cheat, and not see how they are damaging kids. Fairness and equal treatment isn't in the REAL world, but in the field of Kids sports it should be first and foremost.
Who needs them. A group of decent people could set up post season games and throw the NCAA where it belongs in the dung heap. Yea, I'm not pleased with this p poor decision. Again, this isn't about UConn it's about EVINA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully, there is something going on here. Dick Benedict’s written comments, Geno’s on-air comments and perhaps Jay Bilas comments on social media may be a coordinated effort by UConn to pressure the NCAA to reverse their initial decision on appeal. Others may know better, but I cannot remember such a high profile group of individuals going after the NCAA on a waiver request between the initial decision and the appeal.

I know there are many BY’ers that believe the NCAA has it in for UConn. I don’t know about that, but I’m certain that the NCAA is extremely sensitive about their image. I don’t think they want the greatest coach in the history of WBB taking shots at them. Nor do they want a well respected media personality like Jay Bilas loudly pointing out their hypocrisy.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
65-75 percent
In reality, waiver appeals continue to be granted at the same rate as they have recent years -- approximately 65-75 percent are granted.May 15, 2019
CBS Sports - News, Live Scores, Schedules, Fantasy Games, Video and more. › news
Seven months into the transfer portal, college football coaches break down its ..
Thanks Magy. I'm more than a bit angered by the decision and slowness. With an Organization pulling in the bucks reported to have been taken in they could staff better. All decisions do not need top brass to view until the end process if then. Atypically they are very difficult, difficult, not so easy, easy/ Pigeon hole them. So, in my less than informed decision: There is no excuse for this kind of last minute decision. If this were a real business the CEO should be fired. No disrespect to you Magy, I respect all you post.
This is NOT about UCONN, for me, Uconn will play as well with or without her the talent is there. This about what is apparently fair and not putting a kid in limbo--considering the bad situation she departed to come to Uconn.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hopefully, there is something going on here. Dick Benedict’s written comments, Geno’s on-air comments and perhaps Jay Bilas comments on social media may be a coordinated effort by UConn to pressure the NCAA to reverse their initial decision on appeal. Others may know better, but I cannot remember such a high profile group of individuals going after the NCAA on a waiver request between the initial decision and the appeal.

I know there are many BY’ers that believe the NCAA has it in for UConn. I don’t know about that, but I’m certain that the NCAA is extremely sensitive about their image. I don’t think they want the greatest coach in the history of WBB taking shots at them. Nor do they want a well respected media personality like Jay Bilas loudly pointing out their hypocrisy.

Just my 2 cents.
Good points all.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Westbrook was not made available for comment after the announcement was made public, but Auriemma said he did talk to her.

“We let her know about it, and obviously she is disappointed,” Auriemma said. “But if we get our appeal in by Tuesday, we will know by Wednesday.” (UConn said in a statement Friday evening that the appeal is expected to be ruled on in one week after it is filed).

“Unfortunate the information that this committee got from some people at Tennessee wasn’t really accurate,” Auriemma said. “I don’t think there is anything spiteful coming from Tennessee. No. No. I just think that they could have been a little more helpful, but they chose not to be.”

Reaction Score
New ESPN article about the effect of Westbrook's waiver denial on UCONN this season. It doesn't go into the waiver process or details, instead focusing on what she would have brought to our team. Not the greatest article, but not bad, either. Let's hope it's all moot on appeal!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
New ESPN article about the effect of Westbrook's waiver denial on UCONN this season. It doesn't go into the waiver process or details, instead focusing on what she would have brought to our team. Not the greatest article, but not bad, either. Let's hope it's all moot on appeal!
Sigh. This article is the typical Mechelle Voepel fare. It's like she's writing for 5th graders with only a rudimentary understanding of the sport. She's good at composing sentences, but beyond that, everything is just so safe and vanilla and captain-obvious and middle-lane.

Her grand conclusion:
"UConn will still be a force to be reckoned with. But Westbrook would have given the Huskies one more very valuable and versatile weapon, a player they really could have used, especially in a season after losing two high-impact players like Collier and Samuelson."

Gee whiz, ya don't say? Any other incisive observations or daring predictions??

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UConn Insider Tweet:

To clarify, Geno Auriemma initially said the school should know by Wednesday about the Westbrook appeal. The school has clarified that it could take an extra week or so
https://post original url/hp6NZVyVH3?amp=1

Reaction Score
My thing is these things should be done and completed well before season play is about to start.
To be fair, UConn only submitted the waiver request in early October. Maybe someone needs to ask Geno why they waited several months. I bash the NCAA on the reg, but making a decision on a waiver request in 3-4 weeks is pretty good and above and beyond my expectations even if I dislike the outcome.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly the appeal is heard by a committee of AD's, not NCAA emplyees. So if the NCAA chief, who is rumored to have a bug up his nose for UConn had any leverage with his employees that has disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom