"We're bulletproof" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"We're bulletproof"

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sure, UConn by 17, but they were up by 30 and gave up 14 points with the starters on the court.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Hurley's the coach, and he can say what he wants. I'm not a fan of the "bulletproof" thing, and it's not the first time he has said it. I would much rather he say " When we play to our identity (i.e. elite defense and offense) we are very difficult to beat" but that's his prerogative. Maybe there is a bit psychology he is using against the next opponent too but I would leave comments like that for the sportswriters and fans, not from the team. And I think his comment puts not just SDSU, but the remaining field on notice.

Reaction Score
That changes nothing. "We're bulletproof: Elite offense, elite defense." That is what will be quoted.
Maybe it will, but did the bulletproof comment fire up Northwestern yesterday and help them beat UConn?

Reaction Score
I'm sure San Diego State, of all teams, needed extra motivation for this game. We may or may not win, but this comment will have nothing to do with it either way.
Exactly

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It immediately lead into him critiquing the team's performance

We’re bulletproof,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said when asked about the teams’ dominant wins. “Elite offense, elite defense. Didn’t love the offensive rebounding today and didn’t love the second-half defensive rebounding but, again, 20 assists, seven turnovers, one player had 14-14-8, point guard had 20-10. It’s tough to lose when you have that level of quality.”
That's kind of funny because all the media has been saying things like this as UConn has been hammering everyone for the better part of two years. The kids themselves hear it when they look at replays and read the press clippings. The thing about statistics (from Mark Twain) . "There are lies and there are damn lies and then there is statistics". Danny: Let the media do the hyping. You don't have to sell your product here. Are you trying to convince people that you have a great team? You don't have to do that. The players are demonstrating that on the floor and the media has talked ad infinitum about your practices and culture and your teams unselfishness.
It is self evident by results. This isn't about salesmanship to the audience. The team does that on the floor. BTW, when was the last time you heard a HOF coach makes comments like that?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Two sides to every coin.

Opposition: Upside is we have not played our A game this tournament and opposing teams know it. When we play our best we’re unstoppable and opponents have seen that. So yes the statement will be used to motivate opponents but, depending on the character of opposition players, some will react with fear and some will take the statement and play better. It will create the same reaction like we are observing with individuals in this forum.

UConn: We have only three players with significant NCAA playing time under their belts. Alex is in a slump. Cam is off. Stephon and Jaylon are playing like freshman. Hass, Tristen and Samson are playing like they have all season long. Donovan is the only player who is playing better.

Sometimes coaches make statements to instill confidence within their own players. If I have to guess Dan’s underlying purpose for this contentious statement I would guess this is the primary reason for it.

He knows how it can be used by opponents. But he understands his players more and has concluded that one or more of them need to believe in themselves. A coach who is reflective, like Dan, a coach who is player oriented, like Dan, is focused on his players and his team’s needs.

If I’m correct he thinks one or more of them need to believe in themselves the way he believes in them. He wants one or more of them to know his demanding coaching and criticism of their play is intended to make them better players and not because they are poor players which certain players can mistakenly believe playing for a demanding coach.

This public statement, with the controversy it’s generating even among his own fans, demonstrates the power of words. The only individuals I’m sure Dan cares about regarding this statement are his own players.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So what? What happens in Garbage time never matters.
The lead may have been too large to overcome, but it wasn't yet garbage time.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Read through the thread, surprised none of the usual degenerates didn't mention Dan Jenkins 10 Stages of Drunkeness
1573530099807.jpeg

Reaction Score
Man this place can find a way to ruin pretty much anything.
Seriously. I remember Jordan Hawkins during last year's NCAA's couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from a boat in the first half of games and he ended up carrying UCONN in later games. Let's watch this all play out and see what happens. Regardless of the outcome I don't think the Bulletproof comment while impact any of the games.

Reaction Score
The lead may have been too large to overcome, but it wasn't yet garbage time.
Isn't that kind of the definition of garbage time ??? A game that only 1 team has a chance to win ?

Honestly, 1 team was up 30, and the other was desperate & playing for their lives. It would have been more surprising if NU hadn't made a run. They were a good team. We shot uncharacteristically poorly for the entire game, and they had a 6 min stretch where they couldn't miss. Despite that, the end result was never in doubt.

It'd be great to win by 40 every time we're up 20, but it isn't realistic. Substitution patters change, and human beings let off the gas when no longer threatened. The shooting was poor both games (we had a few min stretch where we made a few in game 1, then we were off again). Maybe our guys dont like the sightlines in Brooklyn ? If so, we no longer have to worry about that. If it's something else, it's way more likely to progress back to the mean than stay poor.

We all romanticize last years team, and rightly so, but we won by an average of 20, not 50. We're the first team to make the S16 after a title year in a long time. It's a good thing.

As far as the Bulletproof comment: everyone was already giving us their best shot because the media (and our record) is making us the favorite. We're already getting 100% from our opponents. More isn't really possible, if my math is right. I don't like overconfidence, but DH is being critical right after using that word. He used it another time and said "we're bulletproof if x, y, & z." We can't control being taken out of context. It happens all the time.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Isn't that kind of the definition of garbage time ??? A game that only 1 team has a chance to win ?

Honestly, 1 team was up 30, and the other was desperate & playing for their lives. It would have been more surprising if NU hadn't made a run. They were a good team. We shot uncharacteristically poorly for the entire game, and they had a 6 min stretch where they couldn't miss. Despite that, the end result was never in doubt.

It'd be great to win by 40 every time we're up 20, but it isn't realistic. Substitution patters change, and human beings let off the gas when no longer threatened. The shooting was poor both games (we had a few min stretch where we made a few in game 1, then we were off again). Maybe our guys dont like the sightlines in Brooklyn ? If so, we no longer have to worry about that. If it's something else, it's way more likely to progress back to the mean than stay poor.

We all romanticize last years team, and rightly so, but we won by an average of 20, not 50. We're the first team to make the S16 after a title year in a long time. It's a good thing.

As far as the Bulletproof comment: everyone was already giving us their best shot because the media (and our record) is making us the favorite. We're already getting 100% from our opponents. More isn't really possible, if my math is right. I don't like overconfidence, but DH is being critical right after using that word. He used it another time and said "we're bulletproof if x, y, & z." We can't control being taken out of context. It happens all the time.

It was a long time ago (35 years or so. Maybe longer), but I remember watching a random game on ESPN between Pitt and UNC. Three things I remember about that game were 1) I watched it at my grandmother's house, just outside of Albany NY, 2) Pitt (who was nowhere near as good, particularly in those days.) was up 10 with about a minute to go. 3) UNC won the game. The concept of "garbage time" lost most of it's meaning that night.

Even yesterday, Grant Hill mentioned that the 6 minute span when UConn couldn't score and NW cut the lead would be a teaching moment for Hurley.

Could the shooter's background have been a factor? Certainly. I posted a comment to that effect in a different thread. Barclays looked awful on TV and I look forward to watching UConn play in TD Garden (with more traditional lighting) on Thursday.

Reaction Score
It was a long time ago (35 years or so. Maybe longer), but I remember watching a random game on ESPN between Pitt and UNC. Three things I remember about that game were 1) I watched it at my grandmother's house, just outside of Albany NY, 2) Pitt (who was nowhere near as good, particularly in those days.) was up 10 with about a minute to go. 3) UNC won the game. The concept of "garbage time" lost most of it's meaning that night.

Even yesterday, Grant Hill mentioned that the 6 minute span when UConn couldn't score and NW cut the lead would be a teaching moment for Hurley.

Could the shooter's background have been a factor? Certainly. I posted a comment to that effect in a different thread. Barclays looked awful on TV and I look forward to watching UConn play in TD Garden (with more traditional lighting) on Thursday.
Worst 3 game of the year, I hope it was that.

Reaction Score
I like it, because he isn’t saying “we’ve got the best guys, we’re bulletproof” what he’s saying is, when we rebound like this, defend like this, run our sets like this and execute, we’re bulletproof and even the best team will need to be on their A game to have a shot

Reaction Score
Oh no we are going to give bulletin board material! If a team isn’t already highly motivated and ready to go by the sweet 16, they already have bigger problems.
Exactly. In 1999 Duke was supposedly indestructible. Some team or other showed them otherwise.
Duke was out partying the night before the game(or was that 04?)

Reaction Score
Even our championship team in 04 couldn't keep their foot on the gas once up big. There is a human nature piece to this game, pride, and attention focus.

We were up 15 at half vs GT in the championship game, up more later on, and ultimately lost the 2nd 47-41.

It happens

Reaction Score
Ali lost five times after saying he can't be beat.

What Hurley said wasn't calculated - it was just a brain fart that happened to make it to his mouth. If his team plays up to their potential, few people will remember. If not, it'll be mentioned in every March Madness article for days/weeks.
And you know that how? Because he’s a hot headed Irishman to paraphrase? Lmao

Reaction Score
Way to put down our first NC.
Funny I don’t remember Coach K having to even put out any bulletin board material to motivate that group of Hungry Huskies. Imagine that—a title was motivation enough.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Funny I don’t remember Coach K having to even put out any bulletin board material to motivate that group of Hungry Huskies. Imagine that—a title was motivation enough.
Exactly. The implication was that Duke didn’t take us seriously. Whatever anyone thinks of Coach K, I guarantee letting his players party before a big game was not his thing. Anyway, I’m sure Hurley does not think his team can’t lose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom