Well, that was all right, no? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Well, that was all right, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Three point shooting is still a question mark in my mind but against most teams it will be by committee and good enough given the other ways we can score. In big games - I don't see who that great three point shooter is? I do think we have a collection of guys who can hit some - Gibbs, Adams, Hamilton, Calhoun. Purvis and Sam Jr. None are knock out 3 point shooters. The key will be to be unselfish and go with the guys that are relatively hot in a particular game.

Overall, thanks for the read - it actually did show some understanding of the game of basketball. As for the bolded section- we do have one - I won't to do your homework for you but this is simple. Pay attention to the offense over the next few games and if you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll give you a hint.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
1) Last year, we were down nine points in the opener against Bryant and were still tied at 45 with nine minutes left. Sam Cassell was in the starting lineup and he and Terrence Samuel combined for 65 minutes and 16 shots. Not to kick sand on those two players, but that's trouble.

Tonight, with nine minutes left, UConn was up 40. The talent level is so, so much higher and there's so much more depth. Last year, Kentan started. This year, he came into the game after five minutes and it reminded me that he was on the team. It was like finding a Christmas present you forgot to open. It's so much nicer this way.

2) Shonn Miller is the answer to about 3,000 questions I had about last year's team. He rebounds. He scores. He gets Ivy League degrees. He sees that three-point shots are going to be long and he runs 25' towards it just so we have a Sportscenter Top Ten play in case we need it. He is Stanley Robinson fully-realized. Brilliant.

3) He doesn't play like him, but how many of people had momentary flashbacks to Ben Gordon with the #4 running around there? If Miller is the answer to 3,000 questions about last year's team, Sterling is the answer to like 1,500. He can shoot, he can pass, he can dribble, he can score 20 points and you're not sure when he did it.

4) Squirrel!

5) The front court is vastly better than it was last year. Most of it is the inclusion of Miller, but Amida was admittedly a terror tonight - fans in the stands had free wings in record time. He did hunt blocks on a couple of occasions, but he probably ended up blocking those shots, so that's that. Some of his blocks were like punts - he had some hang time on a few of 'em. Facey gets bumped down one spot in the rotation and still puts up a very Facey-like six points and six rebounds -- and he was flying around the court. The front court is so long and then you bring in Facey - makes this difficult on an opponent's second flight. Enoch was very big and very lost at times, but last year, we had Lubin in the very big and very lost position and this will end so much better for us.

6) The backcourt is a nightmare. I still think Purvis has a chance to be our best player by year end. If that happens, with the rest of this roster, good luck. Adams looked freshmanish which makes sense given his freshmanishness.

7) Hamilton is his own category. Everything went through him tonight - he largely made pretty good decisions. Didn't turn the ball over, started the break, taught Miller how to catch lobs like Amida, etc.

8) I like the bench a lot, but I can see where things are going for some players. They went ten deep tonight and I suspect things will whittle down to eight, with a crack for a ninth. Adams is going to play. Facey deserves to play. Enoch needs to play.

So....Omar and Sam.

I think Omar will carve out a (small) role for himself. He looks to be healthy for the first time in however long and he's got enough ability and athleticism to get on the floor as the eighth or ninth player...but not if he's going out there with the intention of being a three-point threat. Because he isn't.

I just don't see Cassell getting much time. He's a prop plane on a team of jets. He played 18 minutes tonight and that was too many. It's been debated many times here, but he's just not a three-point shooter. But since he's so slow-footed, he's prone to firing quick, off-balance threes to get his shots - and he will get his shots. We just can't have games where he and Calhoun put up six three-point attempts because those are largely wasted possessions. He's not a point guard, he's not really a shooting guard and we're playing 20 mph faster than his top speed - I think he's buried deep. Be Donnell Beverly.

9) All in all, a great night. We looked like old-timey UConn tonight - I think a lot of folks are sleeping on this team.
agree with it... i think if omar continues to work at it and his confidence remains high he can be like giffey this year but with a better handle... a knock down three point shooter to spread the floor

Reaction Score
Phil is a remarkable personality, but the reality is that he averaged less than two points and less than two rebounds in 15 minutes of playing time as a junior.

He played out of necessity last year, but there are multiple better options this season.

Have to disagree on only this. His purpose of guarding the low post is still there and no one does it better on this team. Brimah was great yesterday but he still doesn't move his feet on the low block and was burnt by a low white dude a lot after he realized he just needed to get his shoulder in to prevent the blocked shot. Phil body's up better and will contribute if for that reason only.

Reaction Score
There were times last year - and I don't want to denigrate TSAM unfairly here, he seems like a nice kid and I wish him well - that we were playing 4 on 5 when we were on offense. Tonight it looked like we had six guys out there sometimes. I hate when the draftniks repeat "he's long" ad nauseam but there was a solid five minute period during the first half where I repeated the words over and over in my head while watching us defend the paint. Serenity now.

I had a lot of similar thoughts during the game that were better written above, but the one thing I'll add; a subtle aspect of the significance of getting Miller and Gibbs is that it takes so much of the pressure off of Adams and Enoch. They both looked only ok tonight, which is fine thanks to the luxury of having our grad transfers. If they were on last year's teams, with a different set of expectations, it would present a whole different set of issues for them.

I think this will be a good year

Reaction Score
agree with it... i think if omar continues to work at it and his confidence remains high he can be like giffey this year but with a better handle... a knock down three point shooter to spread the floor
Love the optimism but how quickly you forget how good and versatile Niels was his senior year. Omar might have his moments this season but I've already seen enough thru 3 games of his senior year to think Omar is an 8 -10 minute a game player at best. He really has never been a knock down shooter. Nor can he rebound or defend multiple positions like NG. I was looking forward to Omar averaging 20 this season like someone posted in an earlier thread but I see how playing less than 10 minutes per game.

Reaction Score
9) All in all, a great night. We looked like old-timey UConn tonight - I think a lot of folks are sleeping on this team.

Yes, and its been a long time coming. Beyond all the individual accolades, to me the most important take from last nights game was team chemistry. It was night and day from last year. I saw a team having fun, I saw a team playing together, I saw a team with no individual agendas. I also saw few forced shots, a ton of beautiful assists, and a game that the 5 on the floor allowed to come to them. The best part of last night to me, was that on a team where any of the 5 starters can be leading scorer on a given night, all 5 filled the box score playing together, having fun, and what is now a KO trademark getting "kills" on defense up 40.

Reaction Score
In a nutshell, yes.

But he's not without ability - I still remember the kid who played 32 minutes a game as a freshman.

In a nutshell.....squirrel.....

I see what you did there!!!

Reaction Score
Have to disagree on only this. His purpose of guarding the low post is still there and no one does it better on this team.
Hard for me to believe that anybody dismissing the importance of Phil on the defensive end. He played beau coup minutes against Kentucky in 14. Remember him drawing that charge on Poythress?
When we play teams with big, dominant 5s, Phil will get his minutes, and not just as a 5-fouls to give guy.

Reaction Score
Hamilton's handle was noticeably improved. Anyone remember WVU last year? Yeah, I tried to wipe it out of my memory as well. Jim Calhoun once said the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores. And even though Hamilton was AAC rookie of the year, he has made a huge jump. Part of it is comfort in the offense but his ball handling is the biggest difference.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
whoever dvred the game, go to about the 17:10 mark in the second half and watch the transition from defense to offense... gibbs to hamilton to brimah in a matter of 4 seconds... that's what ollie wants to do this year

Reaction Score
When you say Phil Nolan is ONLY a 2 and 2 guy, you've absolutely missed the core of basketball with coaching. You're referring to the game that we played in CYO or the teens play at AAU today. Nolan does all the gritty things interior guys are supposed to do. Moves his feet. Screens. Blocks out. Rotates. He's a very useful guy for this team & both he plus his coaches know that. You don't get much of that with Facey or Brimah. And there are still large opponents in college that you'll need a Nolan to cover coming from the bench.

Reaction Score
Hamilton's handle was noticeably improved. Anyone remember WVU last year? Yeah, I tried to wipe it out of my memory as well. Jim Calhoun once said the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores. And even though Hamilton was AAC rookie of the year, he has made a huge jump. Part of it is comfort in the offense but his ball handling is the biggest difference.

You idiot ... That was Al McGuire

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Yes, and its been a long time coming. Beyond all the individual accolades, to me the most important take from last nights game was team chemistry. It was night and day from last year. I saw a team having fun, I saw a team playing together, I saw a team with no individual agendas. I also saw few forced shots, a ton of beautiful assists, and a game that the 5 on the floor allowed to come to them. The best part of last night to me, was that on a team where any of the 5 starters can be leading scorer on a given night, all 5 filled the box score playing together, having fun, and what is now a KO trademark getting "kills" on defense up 40.

Yes, they played relaxed and that made everything work. Gibbs and Miller bring a level of confidence and headiness to the team that takes pressure off the others. It's too much for one player to take one by yourself unless your named Kemba and a junior. We will have to see how it holds together against tougher defensive teams. I really liked that Jalen did not force things even though he didn't get as involved this game.

Reaction Score
I committed the cardinal sin of not realizing UConn was playing last night. I went to a movie with my son and when I got out I on one of the humongous screens at Buffalo Wild Wings that there was a husky post game show on SNY. By the way, the free Buffalo Wild Wings were very tasty. :) The silver lining is when I got home I noticed there was some TBD basketball game listed on SNY in the early morning hours which I recorded. Lo and behold when I got up in the morning there was the UConn game recorded for me. I guess the TV gods were forgiving.

Just a few observations about the game. I like seeing the pressure that KO is imposing on the other team. I like the chemistry I see between the players considering there are a lot of new ones and some returning ones in new roles. The depth at each position is crazy deep. Should make the team somewhat foul protected. It will be very interesting to see how well this team performs against teams with similar talent level. So far, it looks promising.

And one crazy observation. We haven't seen thunder calves on a UConn player since Eric Hayward. Shonn Miller got a couple of torpedoes on the bottom of his legs. He reminds me of a Rudy Johnson type build, for those who go that far back.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Love the optimism but how quickly you forget how good and versatile Niels was his senior year. Omar might have his moments this season but I've already seen enough thru 3 games of his senior year to think Omar is an 8 -10 minute a game player at best. He really has never been a knock down shooter. Nor can he rebound or defend multiple positions like NG. I was looking forward to Omar averaging 20 this season like someone posted in an earlier thread but I see how playing less than 10 minutes per game.
If Omar only gets 8-10 minutes per game I will celebrate.
Not because I don't like the kid but because UConn will have more capable options.
I was hoping that he would come back from his injuries and shoot the ball like his frosh year.
After seeing him last night, I am being reserved in saying that those days are gone. He looks to be in great shape but those misses from the corner made me cringe.
A far as the Nolan bashing, I keep recalling his efforts during the FF run in 2014 and thinking he has something there and regardless of the presence of Miller and SE, the team can use another big.
Overall, this team is light years ahead and beyond what was on the court last year (sorry Boat). This will be a joy to watch!

Reaction Score
I think Omar can provide great bench minutes depending on who's on the court with him.

Last night, a lot of his minutes came in a stagnant offense, without someone driving the ball and moving the defense. Hamilton and Gibbs were getting into the lane, but Omar wasn't out there with them very much. Adams seemed tentative to drive, but he'll probably play more aggressively as he grows more confident.

If Omar's on the court when the offense is moving the defense around, he can be effective catching on the perimeter and driving to the basket. I don't like him shooting threes either, but in the second half last night, I thought he did a great job of going to the basket, getting fouled, and hitting his free throws.

Omar should be able to provide more than just breather minutes for the starters; grouped with the right players and taking the ball to the basket, he'll help maintain pressure on opposing defenses.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I would like to see Omar really focusing on trying to get to the basket and hit more mid-ranged shots rather than wait for opportunities for 3 point shots. Hopefully he will find more consistency in his shooting. Same with Shonn from 3.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
A few months ago, I was able to throw down a small play on UConn to win the NC at +2500 odds. Today it is +1800. I think the oddsmakers and smart money out there are opening their eyes with this team.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I committed the cardinal sin of not realizing UConn was playing last night. I went to a movie with my son and when I got out I on one of the humongous screens at Buffalo Wild Wings that there was a husky post game show on SNY. By the way, the free Buffalo Wild Wings were very tasty. :)
You're lucky it's too early for a hanging. But on the other hand, the mojo demands you delete every memory of this year's schedule and not watch any games live. Sorry DM.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I committed the cardinal sin of not realizing UConn was playing last night. I went to a movie with my son and when I got out I on one of the humongous screens at Buffalo Wild Wings that there was a husky post game show on SNY. By the way, the free Buffalo Wild Wings were very tasty. :)
How did you get the free wings without a ticket stub?

As for forgetting about the game, wow.

Reaction Score
How did you get the free wings without a ticket stub?

As for forgetting about the game, wow.
Yeah, not being aware of the schedule is very unlike me. As for the free wings, I still had my ticket from the last exhibition game.

Reaction Score
I'm going to wait a few games before I begrudgingly agree with you. I thought Facey would get there last year but he disappeared more times than not. Enoch will be useful to body up big guys like stone on MD and Kennedy on SMU, but probably won't contribute much until nest year. More because of our unusual front court depth than his ability to improve.

Phil strikes me as possibly being this year's Olander. He'll get the obligatory minutes, but will be cheerleading during crunch time (unless Facey and Enoch don't show out)
And the likely game winning three-pointer against Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom