Well, that was a shot across the bow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Well, that was a shot across the bow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Three AAC teams were crammed into one region - that's a power move, right there.

Just a small correction on this point - there was a seeding rule change that has basically led more teams from the same conference being in the same region.

Two of the most interesting rule changes:

Rematches: Teams who've played only once during the regular season may face one another at the earliest in the Round of 32. The Sweet 16 if teams have played twice, and the Elite 8 if 3 times. Each of these "earliest rounds" are up a round from last year and previous years.

Splitting teams into different regions: The Top 4 of each conference do not need be split amongst 4 regions unless the teams fall within a 1-4 seed.

Reaction Score
I Know What It Means. And The Caps Is A Browser Issue With This Snotty Replacement Android.
I was hoping it was cryptic message embedded in code!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Louisville got screwed with the #4 seeding....but, according to Shocker guys, it is actually a conspiracy to kill off Wichita State at the Sweet 16 level...having to play Louisville.
It's a twofer. You have to admire the sheer audacity of it.

Reaction Score
Just a small correction on this point - there was a seeding rule change that has basically led more teams from the same conference being in the same region.

Two of the most interesting rule changes:

Rematches: Teams who've played only once during the regular season may face one another at the earliest in the Round of 32. The Sweet 16 if teams have played twice, and the Elite 8 if 3 times. Each of these "earliest rounds" are up a round from last year and previous years.

Splitting teams into different regions: The Top 4 of each conference do not need be split amongst 4 regions unless the teams fall within a 1-4 seed.

Got it, so if Louisville was a 5 seed, we would all be in the same region.

Reaction Score
There's so much in play. Some of these lawsuits of the NCAA are wild. If one of these lawsuits actually won, all mayhem would break loose. I've already heard of people with no interest in college sports looking at these lawsuits closely, people who represent university workers. Not to mention the repercussions for business internships, etc.

I wonder if Kessler (the lawyer of the latest lawsuit) ever hired an unpaid intern.

The point is, if any of these lawsuits won, then UConn's best place within the college sports landscape would be once again up for discussion, as would everybody else's. There'd be mayhem.

Reaction Score
Where does this assumption come from that the Big East does not want us? Are you saying they wouldn't like a school that plays in a large metro area that has 3 national titles and 4 final fours, and most importantly a fan base that travels very well and would fill up at least 3 of their arenas every year? And how would the Big East feel about us joining them if it looked like we were about to join the A10? The AAC is going to be terrible next year for hoops, and how long do you Dunphy, Cronin or Brown will stick around?

Football independence would be a superior option to the AAC too.

If we ever want to be in a P5 league, we need to stop the slow motion strangulation that we are experiencing now.

The new Big East is further off the map then the AAC, (Xavier gets a play in game and Providence was out until they won the BE tournament) and you are the only crack head who thinks football independence would be an improvement.

BTW SMU deserved to get shafted, they sucked down the stretch.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just a small correction on this point - there was a seeding rule change that has basically led more teams from the same conference being in the same region..

This has nothing to do with the rules - it's obviously within the rules.

But it's the act of taking a conference with four members in the tournament and stacking three of them at 5, 7 and 8 that I take issue with - that's limiting a conference's earning potential for no particular reason.

The ACC has five teams in the tournament and the only possible overlap there is if Duke and North Carolina State meet in a regional final. If they advance, Cincy and Memphis would meet in the sweet sixteen - they would then meet UConn in the Final Eight.

It doesn't pass the smell test.

Reaction Score
I agree it's Fishy if you will. *rimshot*

Seriously though this is what happens when large bias is involved somehow you end up losing on every coin flip or close call.

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with the rules - it's obviously within the rules.

But it's the act of taking a conference with four members in the tournament and stacking three of them at 5, 7 and 8 that I take issue with - that's limiting a conference's earning potential for no particular reason.

The ACC has five teams in the tournament and the only possible overlap there is if Duke and North Carolina State meet in a regional final. If they advance, Cincy and Memphis would meet in the sweet sixteen - they would then meet UConn in the Final Eight.

It doesn't pass the smell test.

My point was that this was much harder to occur in previous years due to the way the rules were setup - the rules were setup to try to prevent rematches as much as possible until later in the tourney so more teams got sent to other regions than now.

Where the AAC got screwed so that their best teams got seeded lower than expected, making them more likely to all fall under the same region.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it was a shot across the bow. We just weren't represented. The only major conference that wasn't. We are a major stakeholder and nobody was there to protect our equities. And we expected fairness?

Reaction Score
And we haven't even started to see how the refs will call the games. jeeshhh

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I bet Avery Johnson feels pretty stupid. I'm watching Tournament Countdown on ESPNU and Avery Johnson is doing a segment on bracket tips.

"Don't pick all #1 seeds. Mid-majors often make a big showing in the NCAA Tournament. Like Butler the past couple of years. This year it could be someone else ready to make a name for themselves, like SMU."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom