Votes: 46 33.3%
  • 16-20 pts?

Votes: 65 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Real Time RPI is the name of the website; I stand by my post.
That web site has 2 ratings - an RPI and a power rating. Note that when you click n the predicted score, it is the exactly the same for both rating systems. Given that the RPI does not include scoring margin, it is inconceivable that someone could somehow devise a scoring algorithm out of an RPI. Also note that SC is picked to beat TN by 19. How would that be possible if the prediction were based on the RPi, which has TN higher than SC?

The prediction is coming from the power rating. Case closed.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Real Time RPI is the name of the website; I stand by my post.
Well, you can stand by a pile-of-poop and naturally find yourself stuck in a bad place. Even discussing RPI is painful, but as VG says, Realtime RPI has no predictive abilities; it is merely a ranking tool to rate UConn as the #7 team in the nation. There is however a W-L tool that Warren Nolan uses to show how teams should finish out their season using the RPI ratings, and it shows USCar with two SEC losses, and also UConn losing to USF.

What you are referring to is a totally different index on the site called the RPI Power Index. Now if you are going to use that, than it is silly and ignorant to say USCar is favored by 3, even by that dumb index's system. All systems like Sagarin have a home\away factor of anywhere from 3 to 4 points for normal teams, so USCar would at best be a draw. But UConn generally should get a +20 point home court factor, so the predictor would be about 17 points for UConn.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well, you can stand by a pile-of-poop and naturally find yourself stuck in a bad place. Even discussing RPI is painful, but as VG says, Realtime RPI has no predictive abilities; it is merely a ranking tool to rate UConn as the #7 team in the nation. There is however a W-L tool that Warren Nolan uses to show how teams should finish out their season using the RPI ratings, and it shows USCar with two SEC losses, and also UConn losing to USF.

What you are referring to is a totally different index on the site called the RPI Power Index. Now if you are going to use that, than it is silly and ignorant to say USCar is favored by 3, even by that dumb index's system. All systems like Sagarin have a home\away factor of anywhere from 3 to 4 points for normal teams, so USCar would at best be a draw. But UConn generally should get a +20 point home court factor, so the predictor would be about 17 points for UConn.

Monday night at 8pm we will find out.

Reaction Score
Massey is saying UConn 76-63, and Sagarin has UConn by about 8.5. Definitely, we are dooooooooooomed!

. . . Sagarin ratings pick UConn by 8.5.
Massey ratings pick uconn by 13.

Actually, if you take the values from Sagarin's Predictor column (and add in his home
court advantage number) Sagarin picks UConn by 17.6.

So, they're both predicting a double digit win.

Reaction Score
The second best coach is about to make them the second best team.

mrmojack- - - Let records speak for themselves! On results already accomplished Dawn Staley doesn't rank in the top 10 coaching today! She has one regular season SEC title to her credit that doesn't rank with Geno Auriemma, Kim Mulkey, Tara VanDerveer, Gary Blair, Jeff Walz, Sheri Coale, Muffett McGraw, and I hate to add but must- Sylvia Hatchell, C. Vivian Stringer, and Brenda Frese! They all have either NCAA titles, been to the FF and/or FF Finals, won Conference Tournaments, Conference Regular Season Titles, or 600+ career wins! There is no doubt in my mind Coach Staley will achieve some of the above, but to date she has achieved basically nothing in her coaching career! So even if UCONN forfeits the game on Monday night, Coach Staley will have only one defining victory on her coaching record!

Reaction Score
scrooster- - - Geno is second best, "for now," until Dawn Staley establishes her superiority over Gene come Monday night.

I've said this before but it applies to your statement above, comparing Dawn Staley to Geno Auriemma is like comparing Mr. Ed to Secretariat!
Please see my previous post above to where Coach Staley ranks among today's coaches!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks it will be decided by less than 10? I'm not pessimistic, I just see a South Carolina team that is battle tested in close games. UConn on the other hand is not so great in tight games.

Not at all, when we had the score prediction thread a week or so ago, I predicted UConn70-67, home court advantage, and am sticking with that. (I guess that puts me with bookie CL.) I'm just not being too loud, there are those here that would be upset with predicting it so close, and I'm not up for salving tender sensibilities. I just happen to think that leaving aside the high-profile stars SoCar has a couple very underrated assets in Coates and Cuevas.

Reaction Score
mrmojack- - - I referenced your quote by mistake and wanted my statement to stand alone! My apologizes, I just turned 67 and my mind is floating away...................................................

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Are you equating Ohio St's program with ours? Because that would just be r e tar d ed, so that can't be it.

I'll spell it out for you since it was beyond your reach the first time. I was comparing the weather of the two locations. If we were in the big10 and had Urban Meyer as coach we would be able to attract football players regardless of the weather conditions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh, and Scrooster, my friend, just one more point: We know and appreciate the tongue-in-cheek nature of your original post. But I, for one, wish you'd left out the part about Dee and the other refs. Look, do human beings sometimes blow calls, and sometimes do so egregiously? Of course! Can blown calls seriously affect a close game's outcome, especially down the stretch? Natch! But, pulling the classic routine of building in an advance excuse for an anticipated loss by suggesting, "the refs are gonna be against us?" Not only is there zero evidence to support that contention, but, frankly, it constitutes the ultimate losers' refrain, worthy of Notre Dame fans, but, I hope, not of you. Lets hope that we are on the brink of a truly great rivalry breaking out, and that there will be lots of fun back-and-forth "trash talk" to go along with it, but implicating some perceived bias on the part of the refs as determining the outcome of this or future games? I hope that the fans of neither side go there.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the boneyard scrooster. I appreciate your candid humor and we love to have fresh followers of UConn Women basketball. Sarcasm is sometimes hard to pick out among the straightforward words you post. However I get that you want us to know Dawn Staley is a fine coach and will some day, maybe in another 20+ years of winning 30+ games a year, establish her superiority over Geno.
Dawn Staley would need a hell of a lot more than twenty 30 win seasons to come anywhere near what Geno has gone. Maybe closer to 30 thirty win seasons. There is no possibility at all because she's already so far behind him in terms of what she's done to this point of her career. She is a motivator and is a good head coach and a really good recruiter but comparing her to Geno is almost embarrassing!

Reaction Score
Oh, and Scrooster, my friend, just one more point: We know and appreciate the tongue-in-cheek nature of your original post. But I, for one, wish you'd left out the part about Dee and the other refs. Look, do human beings sometimes blow calls, and sometimes do so egregiously? Of course! Can blown calls seriously affect a close game's outcome, especially down the stretch? Natch! But, pulling the classic routine of building in an advance excuse for an anticipated loss by suggesting, "the refs are gonna be against us?" Not only is there zero evidence to support that contention, but, frankly, it constitutes the ultimate losers' refrain, worthy of Notre Dame fans, but, I hope, not of you. Lets hope that we are on the brink of a truly great rivalry breaking out, and that there will be lots of fun back-and-forth "trash talk" to go along with it, but implicating some perceived bias on the part of the refs as determining the outcome of this or future games? I hope that the fans of neither side go there.
What it would suggest is that he doesn't follow women's basketball at all because if he (she) did follow the UConn/Notre Dame games over the last five years you might see that if there was any kind of officiating bias it was directed at UConn rather than against the Irish. The idea that it might have been the reverse is so totally ridiculous that it doesn't even warrant a response, though I guess I've just given him (her) one!

Reaction Score
Attendance will be interesting. Students will show for sure. No doubt about that. Everyone else, who knows. Probably not what ESPN wants, but scheduling a big game in one of the most northern schools in early February is kind of silly and a bit of a crap shoot. Big game or not, driving in a snow and ice storm is dumb and not only puts fans at risk, but also our fire/police/paramedics that have to go out there and rescue them. Towards the end of next week we're looking at high temperatures possibly in the single digits, and we wonder why Connecticut doesn't get big time football recruits. Who the hell wants to come to our frozen tundra of a state when anyone with talent will likely have offers from nice warm southern schools? Like Coach Macy of ECU said: I don't know how you people do it. Connecticut where it's freezing seven months out of the year, or SEC country where it's beach weather seven months out of the year. Tough choice.
It is silly to schedule a big game at a northern school in early February because it never snows up in Connecticut in November or December or January, right? I do agree there is a bigger chance of a big snow fall in February than November but I do also remember in October of 2011 that we had a disastrous snowfall on Halloween that had over 600,000 residents without electricity for close to a week. It does happen. The likelihood for snowfalls in December, January and March aren't often that different than February so maybe the best thing is to never have a northern team have a home game against a highly ranked team, at least not on ESPN.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So yeah, that was her then? I thought so.

You know, I cannot remember the month ... for some reason I was thinking it was late December of 1979 but maybe it was January of 80 if I was home at that time. That was towards the end of my commission. It could have been I guess because I do remember going to Coach McGuire's office with Barbara and there were some football recruits in there visiting, so it may have been January, I just cannot remember. The whole Gedney thing was big news, a big deal, down here though. We had already signed one of her very good friends a year or two before that but everyone wanted Gedney because she was such a natural born shooter. If the 3-ptr would have been in effect back then there is no telling how many points she could have scored in her career. And she was money from the FT line. Was it a scrimmage? I dunno - I don't think so - although I do remember there not being many people there, but there were never many people at those games back then. It wasn't like it is today. Almost no one cared about women's basketball except for us and Tennessee, Old Dominion, La Tech, Delta State, and maybe SoCal and Texas.
I'm trying to remember what Chris said but, geez, it was 11 years ago. I'm lucky if I remember what happened yesterday.

I was talking to Chris on the phone and scribbling like mad. In looking at the 1979-1980 schedule, UConn played Duke, North Carolina, and Auburn. Maybe she said she went through South Carolina? My mistake for not researching.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'll spell it out for you since it was beyond your reach the first time. I was comparing the weather of the two locations. If we were in the big10 and had Urban Meyer as coach we would be able to attract football players regardless of the weather conditions.
The difference in average ages between tOSU football fans and UConn women's basketball fans is probably 30 years.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm trying to remember what Chris said but, geez, it was 11 years ago. I'm lucky if I remember what happened yesterday.

I was talking to Chris on the phone and scribbling like mad. In looking at the 1979-1980 schedule, UConn played Duke, North Carolina, and Auburn. Maybe she said she went through South Carolina? My mistake for not researching.
Okay, but now you hypnotized Scrooster into imagining a UConn player raining down points on the Gamecocks. Can you repeat that same trick and have him seeing KML pouring in 50 in the first half on Monday? But this time we'll get it right and make sure the scorekeeper sees it too.

Reaction Score
scrooster- - - Geno is second best, "for now," until Dawn Staley establishes her superiority over Gene come Monday night.

I've said this before but it applies to your statement above, comparing Dawn Staley to Geno Auriemma is like comparing Mr. Ed to Secretariat!
Please see my previous post above to where Coach Staley ranks among today's coaches!
Or more like comparing Secretariat to Pony Boy.
Pony Boy.jpg

Reaction Score
The difference in average ages between tOSU football fans and UConn women's basketball fans is probably 30 years.

Agreed. My point was if we were in the big10 and had Urban Meyer as coach we would have a great football team and, just like they do for Ohio St, have a packed house for every home game.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Secretariat was fast, but he wasn't as wise as Mr. Ed.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Secretariat was fast, but he wasn't as wise as Mr. Ed.
Or as funny as Mr Ed!!!
But with Geno we get the whole pkg!!!
He and Diana are the same people!
It's like having the "Diana Turasi" of women's basketball coaching your team for 30 yrs. And u just never want it to end!!!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Or as funny as Mr Ed!!!
But with Geno we get the whole pkg!!!
He and Diana are the same people!
It's like having the "Diana Turasi" of women's basketball coaching your team for 30 yrs. And u just never want it to end!!!
This site will be draped in black when Geno retires.

Reaction Score

We will go through South Carolina for sure Monday night!!! ;)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

The Auburn game was at the Greer field house for the first ever UConn Tournament, and the Huskies lost by 1 in OT and then clobbered Vermont the next day.

I'm guessing Chris talked about wanting to play for South Carolina, and that it got confused with her playing South Carolina. As for Scrooster's memory, I think we can assume that he made an inadvertent confession that he was at least back in 1980 a fan of the Duke team Chris destroyed. Whether he still is a Blue Devil fan but now hides out as a Gamecock fan rather than wearing a bag over his head is I guess the other question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom