Weekly Recruiting Summary 4/21/17 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Weekly Recruiting Summary 4/21/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

The kid can play ball and seems to have a lot of passion on the defensive end of the floor based on watching multiple videos. He would be a great team asset and supplement Jalen's and Altrique's as well as Larrier's game when he is on the floor. I would take him. He is eligible immediately.

Didn't realize he was from Canada. Maybe could help swing Simi Shittu to come in 2018.

Reaction Score
I think you are linking overall team performance with single player ability way too much. There are countless examples of good players on bad teams. They went 5-27 last year when Malcolm sat out. Meaning Malcolm left and the team got worse...a lot worse... I'm guessing he did it in order to graduate and have post grad eligibility. That or other personal reasons. The season he played, they were 19-13 overall. Better than UConn last year.

My mistake, for some reason I read his page wrong and assumed the most recent year he played was this past season.

He still performed at a well below replacement level statistically, though, and I imagine their fall this season had far more to do with losing Payton and the like.

Malcolm's defensive rating was also nearly 20 points higher than his offensive rating. That's really bad and the fact that he was on a good team makes it even more alarming. I just don't see anything to suggest that he is any better than a player like R.J. Evans.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Really has some range and good speed finishing. How is his D ?

A notch below CV on a good day. I think he has a chance to be one of the true sleepers in 2017. Same with Zhaire Smith. This is a kid under the radar with huge upside IMHO. He fits the Hungry Husky mold. I apologize for not discussing the OP's player but think we can do better. I like ZM. Not worried about rankings with him at this point as we are looking for some undervalued talent.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just to get this thread back on track:

Michigan getting in the mix for Pitt grad transfer Cam Johnson

Kentucky Basketball: Calipari pursuing Pittsburgh transfer Cam Johnson

Haven't seen mention of any impending visit to UConn.

I think Michigan and UK are the clubhouse leaders at this point and the family connections to Squid represent a edge to UK. I'd also give TCU an outside shot due to Dixon and their NIT championship.

With the optics of all the defections looking bad for UConn and UK/UM well positioned for deep NCAA runs, I hate to say it, but I don't think KO has a chance of landing Cam. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Duvivier has the potential to contribute. He started with Payton in the back court in the NCAA game against VCU. The guy is no scrub. That year I had P12 Network and watched quite a bit of OSU. That team could really defend especially in the back court although I have no idea what their final ranking was. If it were me I would opt to go for players similar to the ones I posted. If we were to end up with this guy for one year I def can live with it. I would just like to see us expand our reach on a few prospects with some long term upside.

I know it sounds obvious, but we need two way players. Nobody appreciates a guy who can defend his ass off like me, but to me with Duvivier - and again I'll yield to you and others who have seen him play more - there are a couple limiting factors, one being his size and the other being his offense. It sounds like, if he can guard 1-3, his size might not be that much of a problem. If you can force offenses to start 30 feet from the basket because of ball pressure, that's valuable, especially if we're starting a defensive liability at the five.

But it's really damn hard to win with a guard who can't do anything on offense, and this guy seems to be right on the cusp of that line. If you look at the roster now, Adams is a two way guy, Vital is a two way guy, Larrier can be, Gilbert...we'll see. Jackson and Enoch probably weren't going to be those guys, Durham might have been. Either way, we need more. Adams is probably good enough where we can get away with having one defense only guy on the court, but if you're gonna play Duvivier minutes and then play some freshman big minutes, you risk putting a cap on what could be a pretty dynamic group.

I'm fine bringing him on as a fifth guard. Given that we're going to be playing three guards most of the time, I'd prefer holding out for somebody better a the fourth guy. Clark from UMass is that guy to me right now - explosive scorer, big time free throw rate, size to guard wings, decent passer.

Reaction Score
I know it sounds obvious, but we need two way players. Nobody appreciates a guy who can defend his ass off like me, but to me with Duvivier - and again I'll yield to you and others who have seen him play more - there are a couple limiting factors, one being his size and the other being his offense. It sounds like, if he can guard 1-3, his size might not be that much of a problem. If you can force offenses to start 30 feet from the basket because of ball pressure, that's valuable, especially if we're starting a defensive liability at the five.

But it's really damn hard to win with a guard who can't do anything on offense, and this guy seems to be right on the cusp of that line. If you look at the roster now, Adams is a two way guy, Vital is a two way guy, Larrier can be, Gilbert...we'll see. Jackson and Enoch probably weren't going to be those guys, Durham might have been. Either way, we need more. Adams is probably good enough where we can get away with having one defense only guy on the court, but if you're gonna play Duvivier minutes and then play some freshman big minutes, you risk putting a cap on what could be a pretty dynamic group.

I'm fine bringing him on as a fifth guard. Given that we're going to be playing three guards most of the time, I'd prefer holding out for somebody better a the fourth guy. Clark from UMass is that guy to me right now - explosive scorer, big time free throw rate, size to guard wings, decent passer.
Assuming there is a mutual interest at some point with DC and we navigate any team chemistry issues...which always makes me shake my head but is a reality in this culture (unless you are a Buzz Williams clone as a coach see Seth Allen/Zach LeDay coming off the bench this year as Seniors to promote the no player is bigger than the team concept) we still have some key pieces available to survive the transfer storm even if we miss out on some of the names posted as subject heading posts. It is going to be so interesting to see what unfolds with us and nationally over the next several weeks plus.

Reaction Score

I would agree with you about his offensive liabilities except for the fact that we should have enough scoring at guard with Jalen, Vital and Gilbert and that he would only be here one year. We need to add guards for depth for this coming season. If he came on, it would only be for 2017 wouldn't it? Unless we have a stack of guards coming we don't know about the downside is minimal. That said, I'd rather have Blake Harris and a decent shooting wing if I had a choice.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Best I can see, these players at least have a chance to bring their skills to UCONN:

Malcolm Nichols 6-5 SG
Shakur Juiston 6-7 PF (JUCO)
Mamoudou Diarra 6-9 SF (probably are most realistic target) ..ranks #203
Blake Harris 6-3 PG (although lots of Michigan St. attention right now)

Huge risk:

Zach Brown 7-1 C

His off the court issues, have seen his stock bottoming out. This is a kid from a horrific family situation, I'm sure most know the story. Three ways this could go:

1) Take a very high risk kid, and hope he matures quickly, with a father figure coach. Caron Butler was no angel coming to Uconn, but was certainly on a better path when he arrived. This would be a desperate move, but in some respects...desperate people do desperate things...

2) He is signed, and is a problem child, and busts big-time.

3) Stay far far away from this kid.

I am not in any of the 3 camps, it is a dangerous roll of the dice.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ugh.

Zach Brown has effectively dropped out of high school and he's likely going to serve a prison term in the near future.

There's no risk because there's no chance.

Reaction Score
Sign me up for Diarra and 2 from this group (Harris, Cam, Waters, Sean Obi)

Besides Diarra. I do not think we are a top pick for any of these guys.
I would take it a step further and say we are not plan B at the moment for any of these guys except diarra.

Reaction Score
I am looking at the other top 25 team's roster. Almost all of them have have 2 to 3 question marks on the starting five. The only team that have a better roster next yr in the ABC is Cincy, we are the number 2 teams now excluding WSU. We do have the people for the 4 n 5 spots. They are Cobb, Diarra twins, Polley n Carlton. Now we need production out of 2 of these guys. I saw Cobb n he is much better then Enoch n Durham ever was for us last yr. He needs to lost wt which I am confident he will. 3 guard offense will be our most productive offensively. Will need a veteran 4th guard for that. I want samuel now because of the toughness factor n the ability to guard the 3

Reaction Score
Haven't seen anything on UConn/Ayala in a while. Last I saw he was offered by Oregon last week and had an in home visit from Oregon over the weekend. I see UConn watched him play back on January 28th but no updates since.

Reaction Score
Bumping this thread...any new info on a possible Sid re-class? Could use him more and more now that a lot of our "Plan A" guys seem unlikely. Chief gave us a little tease but then ghosted....any news?

Getting Wilson, Diarra, Waters, and this grad big Williams (nothing special but a big body and would only take up a 2017 ship) would do the trick for me.

Reaction Score

Watch #4. If nothing else he's athletic. Also watch #1 because it's a sick dunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member