Week of 12/11 Other Games | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Week of 12/11 Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I tell you this im not worried about either one of these teams. The team that worries me a bit is UK. Their guards are really good and only freshmen. They have some athletic talented bigs. Guards that can attack the basket and athletic bigs who can run the floor and defend is trouble for us. DC would have to be at full strength and Newton would need to be at his best. AK and Spencer may see the bench because they are going to have trouble with UKs athleticism. Not saying they beat us because we present a ton of problem match ups also and we have the better coach but they do worry and they are the first team this season ive seen that does. And no i dont care they went down to the wire against UNC who we beat rather easily. Its about matchups.

caw

Reaction Score
I tell you this im not worried about either one of these teams. The team that worries me a bit is UK. Their guards are really good and only freshmen. They have some athletic talented bigs. Guards that can attack the basket and athletic bigs who can run the floor and defend is trouble for us. DC would have to be at full strength and Newton would need to be at his best. AK and Spencer may see the bench because they are going to have trouble with UKs athleticism. Not saying they beat us because we present a ton of problem match ups also and we have the better coach but they do worry and they are the first team this season ive seen that does. And no i dont care they went down to the wire against UNC who we beat rather easily. Its about matchups.

UK has good depth at guard also. They are almost all one on one though. Not saying they don’t get assists but it’s drive and kick or drive and dump off.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good news @kobe. Cincinnati is at least third best in state behind X and Dayton.

Given that Dayton is basically a suburb of Cincinnati, U of Cincinnati is the third best team in the Cincinnati metro area.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
What do you mean by that? Why would they see the bench and who are you playing in their place?

Reaction Score
Michigan State just reminded everyone they can be insanely bad or insanely GOOD!

Reaction Score
Was obviously sarcasm I know they wanna make MSU ranked though.
If nothing else it gives every basketball analyst and their brother the excuse to dust off their standard Izzo is God narrative, so there’s that. We’ll have to listen to that crap until Sparty begins dropping games to the bottom half of the B10 in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
Not worried about UK at all. Without Bradshaw they're just another "young" talented team. Their backup big is not very good and if Bradshaw gets into foul trouble, they'll have trouble with teams like ours. Guard play is good but we're talking about Calipari here.... lol

Reaction Score
What do you mean by that? Why would they see the bench and who are you playing in their place?
I think its possible Diarra and Ball get more minutes in a four guard lineup if AK/CS get into foul trouble and DH has to sit them. DH had DC, Castle, Newton, Diarra and Spencer on the floor so i can easily see a lineup of DC, CAstle, Newton, Diarra and Ball on the floor if AK and Spencer gets into foul trouble. This is why we need Stewart to step up because he could give us some size at the 4 in place of AK.

Reaction Score
UK has good depth at guard also. They are almost all one on one though. Not saying they don’t get assists but it’s drive and kick or drive and dump off.
Yeah thats what makes me nervous. Newton and Spencer simply cant guard guys going to the basket. AK whether people want to accept it or not cant guard a chair and will have trouble with UKs frontcourt.

Reaction Score
Yeah thats what makes me nervous. Newton and Spencer simply cant guard guys going to the basket. AK whether people want to accept it or not cant guard a chair and will have trouble with UKs frontcourt.

Agree on UK. Very talented guards with quickness and great athletic ability. Make them make shots and give them space would be our only shot, plus having our bigs around the basket when beaten. But when they get it going they look good. Good news is they are UK and will also make mistakes to keep you in the game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agree on UK. Very talented guards with quickness and great athletic ability. Make them make shots and give them space would be our only shot, plus having our bigs around the basket when beaten. But when they get it going they look good. Good news is they are UK and will also make mistakes to keep you in the game.
I watched about eight minutes of the Kansas-Kentucky game and about ten minutes of the Kentucky-UNC game.

I've never seen a team that can quickly turn double digit leads/deficits into close games, into double digit leads/deficits the way this Kentucky team can.

Quite a bit of talent and athleticism, not able to remain focused and committed for more than brief stretches and doesn't always understand the benefits of playing as a team.

Reaction Score
Based on your comment we are a terrible defensive team. Being that bad how on earth are we rated 10th in the defensive net rankings?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Given that Dayton is basically a suburb of Cincinnati, U of Cincinnati is the third best team in the Cincinnati metro area.
Not a "given." 50+ miles distance to an entirely different >800,000 person SMSA overreaches on "basically."

Southwest Ohio? Sure.

Right now, you could be claiming something like Bridgeport being "basically" a suburb of Hartford. That ain't no "given," except for the folks who voted thumbs up for the Hartford Healthcare Amphitheater naming rights in CTs most populous city. And you'd be omitting consideration of New Haven or Springfield in such a scenario (I-91 Corridor).

It's true that Cincinnati-Dayton has been informally and officially considered for years, but it still is not so in a similar way to Minneapolis-St Paul or Dallas-Ft Worth.

For the Northeast-centirc Boneyard, the largest reach of the Boston CSA includes the separate SMSAs of Worcester and Providencence (New England's 2nd & 3rd most populous cities), so what you've written is not beyond imagination, it's just beyond your not-uncommon sense of self-certainty.

Trust that there are other examples, and just let's close out the matter. Cincinnati's loss to both Xavier and Dayton is bad enough.

Reaction Score
I think its possible Diarra and Ball get more minutes in a four guard lineup if AK/CS get into foul trouble and DH has to sit them. DH had DC, Castle, Newton, Diarra and Spencer on the floor so i can easily see a lineup of DC, CAstle, Newton, Diarra and Ball on the floor if AK and Spencer gets into foul trouble. This is why we need Stewart to step up because he could give us some size at the 4 in place of AK.
Got it. There were grave concerns about Karabans defense going into tourney time last year, as well as Joey C. Both performed fine, if not great at times. Cam has a certain something on defense that make him a plus defensively, though not a lock down Ricky Moore type, and Karaban just needs to stay disciplined and not try to do much on defense, just hold his ground. I think the "Eraser" factor of Clingan will mitigate some of those shortcomings that you are concerned about.

Reaction Score
I hope for and expect a lot of improvement on defense as we move into February, especially when it comes to guards driving.

We'll see how much they miss Andre Jackson.

I do think they can do it, since Hurley has them improving on defense each year.

2 or 3 games against Marquette will be a real test.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Based on your comment we are a terrible defensive team. Being that bad how on earth are we rated 10th in the defensive net rankings?
This^^^^^

Reaction Score
Today at 5 PM, our next opponent, Seton Hall plays against Missouri at a "semi-away" game in Kansas City.

I'm curious how the Pirates will look against Dennis Gates' turnover-centric defense (3rd in block % and 13th in steal %).

I'm really not sold on this Seton Hall team, but based on how hard they play, they give teams fits.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
They're nowhere near the third best team in Ohio. They went with the wussiest OOC schedule I've ever seen. Their next three opponents are Merrimack, Stetson, and Evansville.
Clearly dodging the rest of Ohio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits