Week of 1/1/24 Other Games | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Week of 1/1/24 Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Absolutely.

I came here with this question, which has been unmentioned until the above.

I honestly do not know if the rule has been adjusted in the past 2-3 years, but I thought that it had then been at the standard that any direct contact above the shoulder was required to be called a flagrant, irrespective of whether it was malicious, intentional, etc.

Some further disclosure:
The elbow was visually flat, and it did strike Dickinson.
It looked like an unnecessary if not uncommon, volitional 'extra' by Udeh, though my understanding is that such determination is outside of the equation. I bring this up because some might consider it an unfortunate unforced error by Udeh.
I don't like particularly Dickinson, so I can relate to the enmity here.
I don't like that Kansas regularly enjoys what looks like friendly AFH reffing.
I do think that the KU win is helpful to UConn.

Is anyone here able and willing to weigh in as to whether there has been any recent evolution with how the rule is currently written?
Because I'm a nerd, from the NCAA rulebook for this year -

Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature (unwarranted or too much) and/or unnecessary (avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play), but is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
a) Causing excessive or unnecessary contact with an opponent;
b) Contact with an opponent that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player;
c) Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score. Depending on the severity of the contact and the potential for injury, this type of foul could rise to the level of a flagrant 2 foul;
d) Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
e) Contact with a player making a throw-in;
f) Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow that is deemed
excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2 personal foul (See Rule 4-18.7);
g) Illegal contact caused by a player hooking an opponent over or under the arm and which may lead the official to believe the contact was caused by the opponent. Depending on the nature of the contact, or the result of the contact, this foul could be considered a flagrant 2
foul; and
h) Contact with an opponent that is not the result of a normal basketball play. “Normal basketball play” is defined as any activity by a player, including incidental contact, which is generally accepted as that which occurs in a basketball game when the player is attempting
to make a legal offensive or defensive play.

Reaction Score
Don’t know what you said but I think he’s overrated. Whole team is.
I just said he's a chucker and a ball stopper. He just doesn't seem very efficient. Click on the link I provided where some posters provided some analytics that seem to suggest he's good.

Reaction Score
Less contact than Elmarko Jackson's game-saving "steal" where he hacked Diarra literally above the elbow. Refs should be replaced by AI drones and converted into biofuel.

Somehow missed that, that's abysmal, what a disgrace.

Reaction Score
Because I'm a nerd, from the NCAA rulebook for this year -

Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature (unwarranted or too much) and/or unnecessary (avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play), but is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
a) Causing excessive or unnecessary contact with an opponent;
b) Contact with an opponent that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player;
c) Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score. Depending on the severity of the contact and the potential for injury, this type of foul could rise to the level of a flagrant 2 foul;
d) Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
e) Contact with a player making a throw-in;
f) Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow that is deemed
excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2 personal foul (See Rule 4-18.7);
g) Illegal contact caused by a player hooking an opponent over or under the arm and which may lead the official to believe the contact was caused by the opponent. Depending on the nature of the contact, or the result of the contact, this foul could be considered a flagrant 2
foul; and
h) Contact with an opponent that is not the result of a normal basketball play. “Normal basketball play” is defined as any activity by a player, including incidental contact, which is generally accepted as that which occurs in a basketball game when the player is attempting
to make a legal offensive or defensive play.
it was neither excessive nor unnecessary.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A couple of SOS games just tipping off: Texas Tech at Texas and Ohio State at Indiana. I have been underwhelmed by both Texas and Indiana so far this season, but every win by them helps our resume. Kansas stole a game this afternoon, and hopefully Texas and Indiana can pick up quality wins tonight.

Reaction Score
FAU just lost to 7-7 Charlotte. They now have 4 losses, and 3 of them are BAD losses.

Theres only 2 more chances on their schedule for a good win.

1 more bad loss and are we talking about them losing their at large bid?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FAU just lost to 7-7 Charlotte. They now have 4 losses, and 3 of them are BAD losses.

Theres only 2 more chances on their schedule for a good win.

1 more bad loss and are we talking about them losing their at large bid?

FAU is OK for a while, although they need to stop losing to teams outside the top 100.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bobby Hurley needs to go on a winning streak if he wants to keep coaching at ASU. Up by 2 right now.

Reaction Score
A couple of SOS games just tipping off: Texas Tech at Texas and Ohio State at Indiana. I have been underwhelmed by both Texas and Indiana so far this season, but every win by them helps our resume. Kansas stole a game this afternoon, and hopefully Texas and Indiana can pick up quality wins tonight.
Texas are frauds despite their lofty ranking both now and when we played them. Indiana with a nice win tonight, but I don't expect them to get into Q1 range..

UNC, however, has defied my expectations and remained in the top 10, including a nice win at Clemson today.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If Somebody elbowed Clingan in the face and you’d all scream bloody murder (me too). It was a close call. This has been a great game.
Late to the thread but didn’t Clingan get a tooth knocked out with no whistle or review whatsoever last year? And instead of going down like a sack of Dickinson he played right through it.

Reaction Score
Texas are frauds despite their lofty ranking both now and when we played them. Indiana with a nice win tonight, but I don't expect them to get into Q1 range..

UNC, however, has defied my expectations and remained in the top 10, including a nice win at Clemson today.
The whole B12 are frauds. Stat pad records against a bunch of low majors.

Reaction Score
BYU has a guy who had made 9 3s with like 12 minutes left.

8 min left now and Cincy up 5 anyways at BYU.

Reaction Score
BYU has a guy who had made 9 3s with like 12 minutes left.

8 min left now and Cincy up 5 anyways at BYU.
The quality in this game blows. BYU's offense consists of constantly taking horrible threes.

Reaction Score
Doesn't seem like FAU has taken to being an actual good team and not just an upstart, they have some terrible losses so far

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Wwe Raw GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads