Week 8: Other Games | The Boneyard

Week 8: Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After four days of hosting and spending Christmas in the city, finally had some time today to exhale and catch up on some college basketball news.

After hearing about Hawaii's victory over SMU in the championship of the Diamond Head Classic, I watched the excellent second half this morning, which ended with these fireworks:

Reaction Score
Neither team wanted to win in the final 59 seconds, until The last second shot anyway. Hawaii with 2 unforced turnovers and SMU missed 2 front ends.

Reaction Score
After four days of hosting and spending Christmas in the city, finally had some time today to exhale and catch up on some college basketball news.

After hearing about Hawaii's victory over SMU in the championship of the Diamond Head Classic, I watched the excellent second half this morning, which ended with these fireworks:
Mele Kalikimaka!

Reaction Score
If anyone cares to read, I wrote a little piece on Hawaii yesterday. If they win the Big West, they would be a tough out.

Honestly they are one team I would not be wildly concerned about for us. They don't shoot the 3 much, they beat people with an inside game where we probably outclass them with Sanogo and Clingan. A finesse team might struggle.

Reaction Score
Honestly they are one team I would not be wildly concerned about for us. They don't shoot the 3 much, they beat people with an inside game where we probably outclass them with Sanogo and Clingan. A finesse team might struggle.
100% agree on all points.

I see them beating a team that cannot defend inside (the duo of Hepa/da Silva would be tough) or have one/two guys who can break down the D.

SMU has two good iso guards in Phelps (19.5 ppg) and Nutall (14.2 ppg), so were an excellent matchup for them.

The top-half of the Big West is solid while the top-three of UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara and Hawaii are all top-125 teams.

Reaction Score
If anyone cares to read, I wrote a little piece on Hawaii yesterday. If they win the Big West, they would be a tough out.

Best team they've had since 2016, Ganot's first year and first NCAA win. Think that team was more complete, but this years team has much better guards. Thanks for the morning read.

Reaction Score
Has anyone else been keeping up with Dayton's season?

Their starting backcourt of Malachi Smith (9.3p, 5.3a last year) and Kobe Elvis (10.1p, 3.0a) have been injured since late November and have been fielding a Space Jam Monstars sized lineup:

Mike Sharavjamts 6’8 180 FR
RJ Blakney 6’6 195 JR
Toumani Camara 6’8 220 SR
Mustapha Amzil 6’9 240 JR
DaRon Holmes II 6’10 231 SO

...with walk-on sophomore Brady Uhl being their only guy in their eight-man rotation under 6'6.

Sharavjamts, a four-star freshman from Mongolia, has been their de-facto point guard (3.2 assists/game)

Somehow, they've been 5-1 with this lineup, however within the weakest point of their non-con (best win was 66-49 vs #124 Wyoming).

They're doing it with a slow, interior-based offense with great ball movement (18th best A/FGM ratio, 52nd best 2p% and only 36.7% FGAs from 3) and a defense that makes it really hard to make good shots (top-25 in the nation in both 2p% (43.5%) and 3p% (27.7%).

Considering how much I like Anthony Grant and how unique their situation is, I'm rooting for them in the A-10.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Someone playing bb from Mongolia? Wow!

Hard to imagine that would be possible after watching The Grand Tour Mongolia Episode. How does someone from Mongolia even know what basketball is?

That region of the world is about as isolated as it comes. Even if UConn could attain it on an undefeated map I’m thinking we should refuse it.

Well maybe take it for it’s natural resources. Anyone know if it has Douglas Firs?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn may be losing one of its Quad 1 wins with Florida losing by 3 to Auburn. Florida had the ball down 1 with under 18 seconds, and just blew it.

Reaction Score
UConn may be losing one of its Quad 1 wins with Florida losing by 3 to Auburn. Florida had the ball down 1 with under 18 seconds, and just blew it.
Such a dumb ending lol. Castleton hands the ball away, Green takes a circus layup with 2 seconds left instead of running out the clock, and somehow it bounces in

Reaction Score
What's the cut off for the NET rank for a Quad 1 win on the road? Is it 75? Florida was 65 before tonight and Auburn was 27. How much would Florida drop for a 3 point loss on the road to 27? Probably not much if any.

Reaction Score
Anyone watch the Xavier St Johns game with Miller and Anderson Mic’d up? Tough look for Anderson. Miller head and shoulders above him as a coach.

Reaction Score
i can't stand michigan. hunter dickinson is such a clown and juwan howard is pretty easy to root against, too.

how do you lose to the KP #300 team when (a) they shoot 27% from three and (b) they turn it over 14 times to your 9? incomprehensible.

Reaction Score
Last night, I had a pretty cool opportunity parlaying my recent writing into attending my first game with courtside media credentials.

I drove down to FDU where they hosted Merrimack for their NEC conference opener. Really exciting comeback win for FDU and I highly recommend checking out one of their games if you live near Hackensack, NJ. It's a unique arena with great fans and good people running the place.

There are too many to name, but I wanted to share a true THANK YOU to those who have provided feedback and support. Honestly, the Boneyard a place that truly helped turn an idea into an actual thing and no way I'd be where I was last night without this online community.

In addition to this game, I have other credential visits lined up this with Fordham and Fairfield, so I cannot wait to visit Rose Hill for the first time and the new Fairfield arena. Maybe some others will line up this season, but for now, last night was truly an awesome experience.

If you care to check it out, here's a recap of the game:

Reaction Score
What's the cut off for the NET rank for a Quad 1 win on the road? Is it 75? Florida was 65 before tonight and Auburn was 27. How much would Florida drop for a 3 point loss on the road to 27? Probably not much if any.
They were underdogs by more than 3. They improved 3 spots in KenPom with the loss.

Q1 road games are 1-75. As of right now, Florida is #64. They have some tough games ahead of them, hope they can win a few and keep that Q1 win for us!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Last night, I had a pretty cool opportunity parlaying my recent writing into attending my first game with courtside media credentials.

I drove down to FDU where they hosted Merrimack for their NEC conference opener. Really exciting comeback win for FDU and I highly recommend checking out one of their games if you live near Hackensack, NJ. It's a unique arena with great fans and good people running the place.

There are too many to name, but I wanted to share a true THANK YOU to those who have provided feedback and support. Honestly, the Boneyard a place that truly helped turn an idea into an actual thing and no way I'd be where I was last night without this online community.

In addition to this game, I have other credential visits lined up this with Fordham and Fairfield, so I cannot wait to visit Rose Hill for the first time and the new Fairfield arena. Maybe some others will line up this season, but for now, last night was truly an awesome experience.

If you care to check it out, here's a recap of the game:

this development is great. deserved, expected, but still great.
awesomesauce.

Reaction Score
Pitt just beat #25 UNC 76-74. Really exciting final 5 minutes and a super loud home crowd for Pitt, especially after some ..questionable.. calls that went UNC's way

Pitt was up 7 with 10 seconds to go but somehow it was a 2 point game with 1.8 left. Managed to avoid the choke

Jamarius Burton had 31 on 14-17 (!!) shooting

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pitt just beat #25 UNC 76-74. Really exciting final 5 minutes and a super loud home crowd for Pitt, especially after some ..questionable.. calls that went UNC's way

Pitt was up 7 with 10 seconds to go but somehow it was a 2 point game with 1.8 left. Managed to avoid the choke

Jamarius Burton had 31 on 14-17 (!!) shooting

Pitt almost choked that game away. Pitt will always be Pitt. I am surprised they didn't storm the court for beating the #25 team in the country in December.

Kidding aside, Capel is a decent coach, but Pitt is a tough job. This is about as good a team as Pitt can hope for in the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom