Week 17 preview (Feb. 28–Mar. 6) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Week 17 preview (Feb. 28–Mar. 6)

Reaction Score
Kentucky has been a different team since going on a late run against Mississippi State to come back from down 15 in the fourth quarter.

Impressive turnaround by Elzy and some really great play from Edwards and Howard.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What?! I looked at the score several times, South Carolina had it firmly in hand. Got outscored 21-7 in Q4. Oops. Louisville not the only highly ranked team w/ a late game collapse in a conference tourney.

I was watching the Dayton-Umass game, and got the alert that the SC-KY was going down to the wire... I was like meh.. how close can it be. Welp..

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
If you want my contrarian hot take, I think this increases their odds of taking the title this year. This kind of collapse is the wakeup call a team that's coasted through a number of games needs right before going on a tourney run. Same reason I was not upset we blew the huge lead to SCAR in December: proved to ourselves we could beat any team in the country, and also showed us just what we still needed to work on, and how we couldn't afford to let our foot off the gas.

But for now, congrats to Kentucky. Heck of a comeback season after looking barely like a bubble team for most of conference play.

It's almost like Howard saw NaLyssa Smith displace her for predicted #1 WNBA draft pick and said, "Hold my beer!"

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess I'll have to watch the replay... at least the last few minutes... Wow.... Might be some high seeds hoping that KY and Miami don't get placed in their region.

Then again... countless times I've seen some underwhelming/under achieving squads get hot at the end of the season..... either win or make it to the conference finals... then fall flat in the NCAA's.. though mostly on the men's side.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's the same in women's hoops, but in men's there's almost no correlation between how teams do in conference tourneys and how they do in the Big Dance. So a team that gets on a hot streak and becomes a trendy pick might actually be fairly likely to flame out early. We'll see.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If you want my contrarian hot take, I think this increases their odds of taking the title this year. This kind of collapse is the wakeup call a team that's coasted through a number of games needs right before going on a tourney run. Same reason I was not upset we blew the huge lead to SCAR in December: proved to ourselves we could beat any team in the country, and also showed us just what we still needed to work on, and how we couldn't afford to let our foot off the gas.
I had the same reaction. Perhaps unfortunately for the rest of the field, this will no doubt light a fire under them that IMO makes it less likely that they'll be upset.

Reaction Score

But for now, congrats to Kentucky. Heck of a comeback season after looking barely like a bubble team for most of conference play.

It's almost like Howard saw NaLyssa Smith displace her for predicted #1 WNBA draft pick and said, "Hold my beer!"

I said this yesterday ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's the same in women's hoops, but in men's there's almost no correlation between how teams do in conference tourneys and how they do in the Big Dance. So a team that gets on a hot streak and becomes a trendy pick might actually be fairly likely to flame out early. We'll see.

Great example was the 1995 NCAA Men's tourney.... I had watched Villanova run through the Big East tournament... and they had an all-american scorer and a few other outstanding players. Picked them to go to the final four. They lost the first round to Old Dominion. That basically cost me the pool. Didn't forgive Nova until April 2016,

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Great example was the 1995 NCAA Men's tourney.... I had watched Villanova run through the Big East tournament... and they had an all-american scorer and a few other outstanding players. Picked them to go to the final four. They lost the first round to Old Dominion. That basically cost me the pool. Didn't forgive Nova until April 2016,
I was thinking of a Syracuse team who won 4 games in 4 days to win the BET, but wore themselves out and I think went out in the first round. Gerry NcNamara was the star IIRC. One of the BET games was 3 or 4 OTs.

I think I remember that Nova team. Kerry Kittles was their star, right?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was thinking of a Syracuse team who won 4 games in 4 days to win the BET, but wore themselves out and I think went out in the first round. Gerry NcNamara was the star IIRC. One of the BET games was 3 or 4 OTs.

I think I remember that Nova team. Kerry Kittles was their star, right?

That Cuse team went 6 OT's vs UCONN

Yep... had a big guy named Jason Lawson.. and a very good PG who played in the NBA.

Reaction Score
If you want my contrarian hot take, I think this increases their odds of taking the title this year. This kind of collapse is the wakeup call a team that's coasted through a number of games needs right before going on a tourney run.
Yeah I was thinking this as well.

Hard to know which way it goes. Sometimes though it exposes cracks or gives other teams confidence. Or introduces a tiny bit of self doubt.

Reaction Score
Mens tourney has a much shorter window. Win the title on a Saturday night or Sunday and then you're playing 4-5 days later. Factor in travel on both ends plus emotional recovery and not much time.

Not an issue on the women's side for most. KY will have several days to calm down and then a full week of practice before their next game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
still want me to hold a minute?
Okay, I was wrong about Nebraska offering much resistance, but looks like you were wrong about third time being a charm for Indiana. :p

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gotta figure the Summit champ will be South Dakota or South Dakota St., but maybe challenger Kansas City was in some trouble. The Kangaroos scored 53 in the 2nd half to pull out a 81-74 win over North Dakota St.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Summit league quarter finals BOTH N Dakota and N Dakota State LOST.
Another bubble explosion. This one is a real surprise.
Which of these two has the best at large chance?
Huh?

North Dakota =/= South Dakota.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Summit league quarter finals BOTH N Dakota and N Dakota State LOST.
Another bubble explosion. This one is a real surprise.
Which of these two has the best at large chance?
It's the South Dakotas who rule the Summit, not the North Dakotas.

Reaction Score
Gotta figure the Summit champ will be South Dakota or South Dakota St., but maybe challenger Kansas City was in some trouble. The Kangaroos scored 53 in the 2nd half to pull out a 81-74 win over North Dakota St.
Nope both out in quarterfinals today

Reaction Score
It's the South Dakotas who rule the Summit, not the North Dakotas.
Thank goodness. Bubble not burst yet. Thanks. I’m in panic mode for BC creating false scenarios

Last edited:

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Howard is great but I'm still going with NaLyssa, she brings more to the table to me as a scorer, rebounder and defender.
Smith had 35 pts & 12 rebounds today! She put on a show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom