Week 17 - Feb 26 to Mar 4 (games, conf standings, NET) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 17 - Feb 26 to Mar 4 (games, conf standings, NET)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
High Point wins its 9th straight with a 65-64 win in OT vs Winthrop. My Panthers scored on a layup off of an inbound play with 6.5 seconds to go. Now 13-2 in the conference.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, what do you make of Oklahoma? Not impressive at all in OOC, but looks like they are going to win the Big 12 (I have no idea about unbalanced schedule and don't care to try to figure that out at the moment). They got the season sweep of Texas.

I also can't remember where Iowa St. was in the latest bracket reveal, but they got a big win @ Kansas St. K State is now losing some games w/ Lee in the lineup, so they can't use injury as an excuse for the Ls.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I was watching bits and pieces of several games. Prince had a big game for TCU, they beat Texas Tech handily.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, what do you make of Oklahoma? Not impressive at all in OOC, but looks like they are going to win the Big 12 (I have no idea about unbalanced schedule and don't care to try to figure that out at the moment). They got the season sweep of Texas.

I also can't remember where Iowa St. was in the latest bracket reveal, but they got a big win @ Kansas St. K State is now losing some games w/ Lee in the lineup, so they can't use injury as an excuse for the Ls.
Kansas State getting swept by Iowa State is great news for Gonzaga's hopes to grab a top 16 seed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Iowa had 16 made 3's in their previous game. They have 12 at halftime today. Clark has half of them, when their other players are splashing 3's they're pretty tough to beat. 12-21 from down town. Clark on triple double watch again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This won't be popular here, but to me the Big East is a 2 bid league. UConn and Creighton. That's it. Nova, Marquette and the rest of 'em don't deserve a bid.

edit--of course I realize SOMEBODY has to comprise the 68 teams in the field, and I certainly don't want 9 SEC teams in there (of which maybe half of them are actually Tourney worthy)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well now. Iowa St beats #15 KSU, #20 OK beats #3 Texas. Big12 top 4 spots still muddy as heck
1709175960167.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A win over Oklahoma would've probably given Texas the final #1 seed in tomorrow's reveal. Their loss leaves that spot wide open. It might end up going to Iowa, UCLA or Virginia Tech.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
DePaul lost at home to Butler. How low can they sink this year? Now 4-13 in conference, only thing keeping them out of the cellar is beyond dreadful Xavier. It's time to call it good Coach Bruno.

Reaction Score
A win over Oklahoma would've probably given Texas the final #1 seed in tomorrow's reveal. Their loss leaves that spot wide open. It might end up going to Iowa, UCLA or Virginia Tech.
I think they’re the weakest of the three teams you mentioned but I think Virginia Tech is the most likely to end up a 1 in March. They’re red-hot and streaking again just like they did last year and have largely burned through the ACC.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Iowa hit triple digits again, with Stuelke and Martin combining for 8 points, way under their averages. I guess hitting 20 3's as a team made up for it. 33/10/12 for Clark.

edit--make that 22 3's; 9 for McCabe and Feuerbach off the bench

108-60 final. Season can't end soon enough for Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Iowa hit triple digits again, with Stuelke and Martin combining for 8 points, way under their averages. I guess hitting 20 3's as a team made up for it. 33/10/12 for Clark.

And what'll probably appear soon on bballnut90's thread, Caitlin passed AIAW record holder Lynette Woodard for the all-time women's record.

She'll likely pass Maravich in the next game. I bring that up simply for Pete to get his due recognition as a truly great player...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And what'll probably appear soon on bballnut90's thread, Caitlin passed AIAW record holder Lynette Woodard for the all-time women's record.

She'll likely pass Maravich in the next game. I bring that up simply for Pete to get his due recognition as a truly great player...
Not that it was in much doubt she'd pass that record as well, but I'm glad she did. Now there doesn't need to be an quibbling over NCAA scoring records and records before the NCAA sponsored women's basketball.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
@Plebe were you trying to tell me Portland maybe had a chance against Gonzaga? It's 43-20 at halftime. I'm gonna go ahead and say no, they don't and never did have a chance in this game. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's a good thing I spoke up and preemptively scared away the jinx goblin.
Wasn't necessary, even I couldn't jinx this one. No way that group of Grad Super Seniors was gonna lose their home finale. 90-40 final.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Some notable games today that should affect brackets:

-Texas is off the 1 line. Even if they the win Big 12, I'm not sure they can grab a spot.
-Kansas State losing likely pushes them to a 5 seed. I think Gonzaga is safely a 4 at this point if they win out.
-Iowa State should be safely in now. All hail Audi and Addy.

Right now I see these squads as potential 1 seeds (aside from SC):

Ohio State-they have a massive game at Iowa on Sunday. If they can win I think they lock in a #1 even if they bomb in the Big Ten Tournament. If they lose to Iowa, I think whoever wins the Big Ten (assuming Indiana or someone else doesn't play spoiler), then the Big Ten tournament champs get a #1 seed.

Iowa-same predicament as Ohio State. If they win out, they're a 1. If they don't, they're a 2 (even if they lose both IMO).

Virginia Tech-they have a big game at Notre Dame tomorrow, but I think they're safely on the 1 for the time being even if they drop tomorrow or lose in the ACC tournament (can't lose both).

Stanford-if they win out, they're a 1. I'm curious to see how much the committee penalizes Stanford for their loss to Arizona when Brink was out.

UCLA-similar predicament to Stanford. If they win out, they're a 1. They also have forgivable losses when Betts was out and have done well against a brutal schedule.

I think those 6 squads will all be top 2 seeds, and the following programs are contenders for the last 2 number 2 seeds:

UCONN-they could land a spot here with other teams faltering. As long as they win the Big East Tournament, they're safely a top 3 seed.

Texas-I think they need to win the Big 12 tournament to stay a 2. Wins over KState/Baylor aren't looking as strong now, and they're only marquee win this year was over UCONN when they had Harmon.

USC-they're right on the cusp. I think they need to get to the semis of the Pac-12 tournament and put up a fight vs. UCLA in the semis (assuming they finish tied for 2nd in conference). If they beat UCLA, they're a 2 and UCLA drops to a 2.

Oregon State-they also have a chance to play spoiler if they beat Stanford tomorrow and have a good showing in the Pac 12 tournament. If Beers is back, it's another scenario for the committee to determine how much they'll penalize OSU for their 2 losses with Beers out recently.

LSU-if they beat South Carolina in South Carolina for the SEC Championship, they could be a 2. If they don't, no shot at a 2.

Reaction Score
Some notable games today that should affect brackets:

-Texas is off the 1 line. Even if they the win Big 12, I'm not sure they can grab a spot.
-Kansas State losing likely pushes them to a 5 seed. I think Gonzaga is safely a 4 at this point if they win out.
-Iowa State should be safely in now. All hail Audi and Addy.

Right now I see these squads as potential 1 seeds (aside from SC):

Ohio State-they have a massive game at Iowa on Sunday. If they can win I think they lock in a #1 even if they bomb in the Big Ten Tournament. If they lose to Iowa, I think whoever wins the Big Ten (assuming Indiana or someone else doesn't play spoiler), then the Big Ten tournament champs get a #1 seed.

Iowa-same predicament as Ohio State. If they win out, they're a 1. If they don't, they're a 2 (even if they lose both IMO).

Virginia Tech-they have a big game at Notre Dame tomorrow, but I think they're safely on the 1 for the time being even if they drop tomorrow or lose in the ACC tournament (can't lose both).

Stanford-if they win out, they're a 1. I'm curious to see how much the committee penalizes Stanford for their loss to Arizona when Brink was out.

UCLA-similar predicament to Stanford. If they win out, they're a 1. They also have forgivable losses when Betts was out and have done well against a brutal schedule.

I think those 6 squads will all be top 2 seeds, and the following programs are contenders for the last 2 number 2 seeds:

UCONN-they could land a spot here with other teams faltering. As long as they win the Big East Tournament, they're safely a top 3 seed.

Texas-I think they need to win the Big 12 tournament to stay a 2. Wins over KState/Baylor aren't looking as strong now, and they're only marquee win this year was over UCONN when they had Harmon.

USC-they're right on the cusp. I think they need to get to the semis of the Pac-12 tournament and put up a fight vs. UCLA in the semis (assuming they finish tied for 2nd in conference). If they beat UCLA, they're a 2 and UCLA drops to a 2.

Oregon State-they also have a chance to play spoiler if they beat Stanford tomorrow and have a good showing in the Pac 12 tournament. If Beers is back, it's another scenario for the committee to determine how much they'll penalize OSU for their 2 losses with Beers out recently.

LSU-if they beat South Carolina in South Carolina for the SEC Championship, they could be a 2. If they don't, no shot at a 2.
Hoping for a 3 or 4 seed for UCONN this year. If they lost to Providence and the first round
Of the BET would that drop them down to a 4 seed line?

Reaction Score

I really like OU. They got an Identity/style of play, multiple contributors, and a good coach. Starting off the season slow kinda makes sense as Verhulst who is one of their best and most impactful players is a transfer. Though I do think Texas gave that game away, it's impressive OU was able to win with Vann and Verhulst shooting a combined 8-30.

On the other hand K State has been a bit disappointing as of late. Idk what happened to Gabby Gregory, but she's really struggled all year fitting in. As much as I like K state they've kinda grinded out close games all year so I'm actually not surprised they are losing some. Hopefully they win games in the big 12 tournament so they can host as they've been like a top 15 team a majority of the year. Iowa State on the other hand is really impressive. They got great freshman and good seniors. They will be a tough out in a 3-6 or 2-7 matchup.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
With a few games left in the conference season, things are still too close to call as to who is getting a bye in the conference tourney. Here's a look at results from last night and potential impact of wins/losses tonight:
1709219249270.jpeg

Today's game schedule:
1709219203791.jpeg

Reaction Score

Add Marshall to that edit because she helped fill the void for Martin and Stuelke. She was 6-10, 4-7 from 3 for 16 points per the boxscore. She's been getting some grief from Iowa fans this season but deserves some recognition for last night's effort.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As a reminder, the PAC 12 is playing tonight and Saturday vs. the Friday/Sunday regiment so as to give more time for teams before the start of the PAC-12 Tournament in Vegas on Wednesday, March 6.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom