Week 15 AP Top 25 poll - UConn down to #15 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 15 AP Top 25 poll - UConn down to #15

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I want to know what the NET UConn has, that's what actually matters.
They have been beaten soundly by 5 teams. What matters is what are they changing to be more competitive against those teams? UConn has talent, they have size and they have floor leadership. What they don't have is someone in charge making changes when they see things not working.

Reaction Score
UConn is still fourth in both Massey and Net.
Here’s what I THINK is happening:

The humans are applying something that computers don’t consider: UConn’s lack of a bench. The computers only consider wins/losses and quality of those wins and losses TO DATE.

Humans vote based not only upon how good a team has performed to date but also upon how they think a team will have performed when the dust settles. The consensus of humans seems to be that UConn will be a sweet 16 team but not better because they only have a competitive starting five with no bench.

This is the only logical explanation I can think of to account for the HUGE disparity between human and computer rankings.

Reaction Score

Kat

Reaction Score
I think it is a fair rating. Look for UConn to move up as they feast on the Big East.

Reaction Score
Well many of the best long running streaks have ended during our injury plagued seasons, but we still have a couple to defend. A very long streak of being ranked, which I don't think is in danger unless we blow a couple of remaining games or suffer another injury, and making the sweet sixteen I think since the first championship.

We can't jump up the polls a lot with basically no potential big win possibilities left. Regardless if we hold serve on the remaining games we are expected to win, we should move up a little bit, and secure our position as a hosting site for the first two games in the NCAA tournament.

That at least would give us a decent chance of keeping the sweet sixteen streak alive, but if we want to host we better run the table from this point.
The good news (other than no new injuries) is that The UCONN women are still #4 in the NET rankings. Only Texas jumped ahead of us from yesterday's loss, and they will have a harder time of staying "unblemished" from now until bracket selection day....

Reaction Score
South Carolina hadn't beaten a ranked team by double figures since their first two games in November. That's why Connecticut dropped so far: the game wasn't competitive, and they performed much worse than any of South Carolina's recent ranked opponents.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I guess beating ranked (at the time) MD and Marquette teams don't count...
They count for what they are: wins over teams on or near the bubble. Just as our loss to NC State counts as a loss to a top 10 team, regardless of their "ranking" at the time.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
UConn has no "good wins"
I mean, technically UConn is 8-5 in quadrant one games, so it has 8 "good wins" - they just aren't great wins. Best wins are @Creighton, @Marquette, vs. Louisville, and neutral win over UNC. And none of its losses are bad losses, since they're all to top 15 teams. But buried within, it is a bit striking - and extremely un-UConn - that all five of the losses were not particularly close, and by double digits.

I'm not sure what to make of UConn this year, because at times my eye test wants to rank them way higher than the AP (NET still has UConn at #4), but the objective record doesn't really support a one (or even two) seed right now... This season, especially, being in a non-P5 really hurts UConn, because there are no opportunities left to get a "great" win before the tournament, which leaves me a little unsure about how to I'd ultimately assess them for seeding purposes...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Thats what the resume of a team like Green Bay looks like. If UConn has to have those teams on their resumes as "Good Wins", well it speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
Iowa would've fallen farther if the two teams ranked immediately behind them hadn't both also lost. The results of the surrounding teams also affect each team's landing spot. Similarly, UConn dropped an additional spot because Oregon State won their way ahead of us.
Exactly, Oregon State wins on the road at #20 Utah and #4 Colorado, and same thing with VT winning at #3 NC State. Both Oregon State and VT deservedly got more votes than us after the week they had, and LSU and Indiana both held serve so they stayed put.

Reaction Score
If we make it to the sweet 16, consider this season very very successful. Considering who we have sitting on the bench due to injuries, a sweet 16 spot should be seen as super successful
Yessssa! And let's move onto the next season. Maybe we recover some players and add a couple of freshmen (hoping in good and healthy condition, not like the last few years with Azzi, Ayanna etc.). Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Here’s what I THINK is happening:

The humans are applying something that computers don’t consider: UConn’s lack of a bench. The computers only consider wins/losses and quality of those wins and losses TO DATE.

Humans vote based not only upon how good a team has performed to date but also upon how they think a team will have performed when the dust settles. The consensus of humans seems to be that UConn will be a sweet 16 team but not better because they only have a competitive starting five with no bench.

This is the only logical explanation I can think of to account for the HUGE disparity between human and computer rankings.
So, basically what you are saying is that humans are biased and flawed. Only kidding. I don't have too much of a problem with #15 in the poll, especially after that debacle on Sunday.

UConn has virtually no opportunity to move up for 2 reasons: 1) there are no big games left for quality wins, and 2) the teams in front of UConn seem to be fairly lightly punished when the lose games they should win. So, there will be no moving up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, basically what you are saying is that humans are biased and flawed. Only kidding. I don't have too much of a problem with #15 in the poll, especially after that debacle on Sunday.

UConn has virtually no opportunity to move up for 2 reasons: 1) there are no big games left for quality wins, and 2) the teams in front of UConn seem to be fairly lightly punished when the lose games they should win. So, there will be no moving up.
Creighton is ranked and is #24 in the NET

Reaction Score

Do they need to move up when they are presently top 4 in the NET?

Posters her care too much about the human polls. With that said, the committee will bring human considerations to the table. The lack of a sixth woman like Aubrey will be considered and UConn will almost certainly drop below its NET ranking. How far? I think anything more than five spots is too much but I could see as much as 8 spots. So I could see a 3 seed but a drop to 4 seeed would seem ( to me) unreasonable.

Thursday’s committee reveal will be interesting.

Reaction Score
the team is what it is at this point and We will get a 3 or 4 seed. We are a top 20 team but certainly not an elite team this year. Hopefully we can make it to the sweet sixteen and consider it a good finish to this season , all things considered. This will be a tall order considering that we will have to win a game on short rest with little help from bench.

Reaction Score
This is such a travesty. Several teams have lost to SC without dropping in the rankings. Losing to the #1 team should not cost a team 4 spots!
Iowa lost to unranked Minnesota & only dropped two spots!
The teams that moved ahead of us are all arguably better; it's as simple as that.
ND is arguably better also, so we just have to get better, beat Creighton,, and stop worrying about the polls

Reaction Score
“Ranked at the time” is worthless. Do you really consider Maryland a “ power win?” The computers don’t and I would think very few humans would despite the oompf that the name has traditionally carried.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
“Ranked at the time” is worthless. Do you really consider Maryland a “ power win?” The computers don’t and I would think very few humans would despite the oompf that the name has traditionally carried.
They count for what they are: wins over teams on or near the bubble. Just as our loss to NC State counts as a loss to a top 10 team, regardless of their "ranking" at the time.
Thats what the resume of a team like Green Bay looks like. If UConn has to have those teams on their resumes as "Good Wins", well it speaks volumes.

Sorry all...I was being sarcastic and forgot to add the available sarcasm emoji

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom