We Need To Quit the Big East | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We Need To Quit the Big East

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Just curious. How many of you would like to have thousands of people march into your office/classroom/work site, day after day, yelling, "you suck', "f... you", etc? It takes strong men and women to do this thankless job, knowing that every call is going to upset someone, and only three people in the gym don't care who wins....................you and your partners.
Not sucking is a worthwhile option to pursue in cases like the one you outlined.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Counterpoint: No.

That call was atrocious and the refereeing has been bad overall but this is home.

Would be super awesome to go to the A-10 and still get jammed up by the zebras. I guess then we can go D2?

Reaction Score
If you were to video yourself taking a long (for you) shot, I guarantee there would be at least a little leg movement to generate force, help with balance. And it would look similar to what Newton did. Which was minimal.

That was a normal three point shot, which he made, with contact from the defender. He should have been going for the 4th from the line.

That being said, I saw a Creighton defender bumped by our guy mid layup hit the deck with no call, so I've got to wonder if the refs are just bad and not maliciously so.
Refs were fine/good last night. Creighton had a couple go against them and so did UConn, one of which was the Newton offensive foul call on the three which was egregious.

Reaction Score
Call on Newton 3 was terrible, and a make up call from previous game where we got away with a leg kick out. The way the ref called it, it was like he came into the game with a premeditated plan to call that atleast once. Newton certainly does get fouled all the time in every game without getting calls.

But the idea of wanting to leaved Big East over that is just ridiculous. Further giving all the good stuff and the nice win, you should be happy and save the frustration for when UConn loses.

Reaction Score
Just curious. How many of you would like to have thousands of people march into your office/classroom/work site, day after day, yelling, "you suck', "f... you", etc? It takes strong men and women to do this thankless job, knowing that every call is going to upset someone, and only three people in the gym don't care who wins....................you and your partners.
Spoken like a true ref.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
These refs ref every conference - yesterdays refs were in the Big 12, SEC and A10 the night before. There is no escaping them.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If you actually read the 3-page thread you'd see it's 3 pages of people all agreeing that the OP was silly. But why do that when you can just gratuitously insult everyone?
We have an @nelsonmuntz ridiculous troll post and going on 12+ hours without a response from @Hans Sprungfeld. Interesting….. but you have to excuse me slow day at work and what I do for a living requires me to consistently evaluate why people act the way they do. It’s a fun job……

Reaction Score
The Big East needs us more than we need them, as a previous poster already said.

I do like the teams in the conference and the rivalries. My preference would be to retain as much of that structure as we can. But the Big East Conference needs to be dissolved and every single employee fired with prejudice.

This crappy, anti-UConn bias by officials cost us a #1 seed in the NCAA last season. People can cheer the outcomes (both last year's tourney and last night's game). But none.of that accrues to the Big East. It accrues to UConn, it's players and coaching staff.

Pulling the rug out from under the Big East Conference is the goal.

Sure, anyone would prefer to go to the BIG 10. And it is still galling that the Rutgirls got picked by them and not us.

We were in the Yankee Conference when I went to UConn (yeah, I'm old and cranky). Uconn is a force of nature. Start flexing the muscles we have. Big East cures this problem (a non-problem in their view) or we walk.

The money will pinch them. If you can't get more fans to DePaul/Providence than they get for Stamford High School/Rippowam, then the $ will go away.

UConn fills up the cash register. Seton Hall and St Johns do not
This is right. Without us and with Villanova in rebuilding mode, there is nobody that moves the needle. The UConn-Butler game was the highest rated FS1 game since 2016. I’m going to guess that nobody watched because it was Butler. Even New Yorkers don’t follow St John’s any more. We long ago supplanted PC as the New England’s national representative. Of course there is always DePaul. If they played a game and one didn’t show up, did the other team play DePaul?

On the question of the refs, they were awful in general. Newton is running with a guy on his back half the time and nothing. On the other hand, at least twice I saw he took at least 2 steps before starting to dribble and no call. And while I realize that calling traveling is passé in basketball at any level, these were egregious.

The New Big East actually prefers rock fights. Without them the front office couldn’t promote the rough tough attitude it likes to project. Someone on another thread referred to it as 1990s NBA style of play. That is just so right.

Reaction Score
No way. The big east is the best conference for UConn due to playing in Northeast. We get iconic matchups against schools in from NYC, Philly, DC.
The Big East does have the worst refs in the country, but that is a fixable problem. Everyone just needs to find a way to contact BiG East commissioners and repeatedly flood them with complaints until they improve the officiating.
I totally agree about this being the best conference for us. When Gavett and the framers created the Big East, which by the way was a huge success with sending 3 teams to the Final 4, it was based on huge TV markets, geography, known college brands all coming together and regional talent hotbeds. We need a significantly better TV/cable contract next time around. Can’t live on a $5M college share. Our league wins national chips and draws fans nationally during the NCAA tournament.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Now, I have heard the several comments as to how the refs putting their thumbs on the scale is really OK, and even, perhaps, praiseworthy, so long as I focus on the final score, and not the actual game.

And how refs holding grudges against players is totally understandable, if not actually praiseworthy.

And, as persuadable an individual as I am, I encourage posters to keep on this, as I am just not there, yet.

On a slightly aligned topic, FSU v ACC: FSU is suing ACC, because they feel the ESPN contract is awful and they want out. ACC countersues saying they can get out, but will cost them $572 million or thereabouts.

Waiting in the wings, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State and Miami are waiting in the wings to see if the exit door actually gets unbolted, and then they will hit the silk if it does.

At that time, if we all pool the change in our change jars, and if I empty out my swear jar (which is actually getting king kind of full from watching UConn conference games these last few years) we will be able to buy the place outright.

If we do, though, I want to be the head of officiating.

You guys be OK with that?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Now, I have heard the several comments as to how the refs putting their thumbs on the scale is really OK, and even, perhaps, praiseworthy, so long as I focus on the final score, and not the actual game.

And how refs holding grudges against players is totally understandable, if not actually praiseworthy.

And, as persuadable an individual as I am, I encourage posters to keep on this, as I am just not there, yet.

On a slightly aligned topic, FSU v ACC: FSU is suing ACC, because they feel the ESPN contract is awful and they want out. ACC countersues saying they can get out, but will cost them $572 million or thereabouts.

Waiting in the wings, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State and Miami are waiting in the wings to see if the exit door actually gets unbolted, and then they will hit the silk if it does.

At that time, if we all pool the change in our change jars, and if I empty out my swear jar (which is actually getting king kind of full from watching UConn conference games these last few years) we will be able to buy the place outright.

If we do, though, I want to be the head of officiating.

You guys be OK with that?
1705616685357.jpeg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We have an @nelsonmuntz ridiculous troll post and going on 12+ hours without a response from @Hans Sprungfeld. Interesting….. but you have to excuse me slow day at work and what I do for a living requires me to consistently evaluate why people act the way they do. It’s a fun job……
I read his 1:47 am post not long after it went up and decided against commenting. I'd seen the MBB team soundly defeat a team & coach that until last year owned UConn and DH, and then I'd seen the WBB team win its 11th straight game with 3 players who arrived in autumn 2020 and 4 who are playing in their first year of D-1 competition. Earlier, I'd watched a toddler in early mastery of running between rooms to more quickly gather crayons clutched to her chest for return to the room where drawing paper was. I decided to go to bed.

Besides, the comment was more self-canceling than anything else, and that's even lamer than charging others with self-parody.
At some point we need to decide if we're going to continue to do hangings. Ritual suicide worked so well last season.
I really don't want to do six consecutive once only-per-game day posts that are limited to 3 words and consist of a 5-syllable word, followed by a 7-syllable word, followed by a 5-syllable word.

However, I very much liked the games and the tournament's outcome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big East needs us more than we need them, as a previous poster already said.

I do like the teams in the conference and the rivalries. My preference would be to retain as much of that structure as we can. But the Big East Conference needs to be dissolved and every single employee fired with prejudice.

This crappy, anti-UConn bias by officials cost us a #1 seed in the NCAA last season. People can cheer the outcomes (both last year's tourney and last night's game). But none.of that accrues to the Big East. It accrues to UConn, it's players and coaching staff.

Sure, anyone would prefer to go to the BIG 10. And it is still galling that the Rutgirls got picked by them and not us.

We were in the Yankee Conference when I went to UConn (yeah, I'm old and cranky). Uconn is a force of nature. Start flexing the muscles we have. Big East cures this problem (a non-problem in their view) or we walk.

The money will pinch them. If you can't get more fans to DePaul/Providence than they get for Stamford High School/Rippowam, then the $ will go away.

So you wanna join the big sky instead?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Counterpoint: No.

That call was atrocious and the refereeing has been bad overall but this is home.

Would be super awesome to go to the A-10 and still get jammed up by the zebras. I guess then we can go D2?
If you actually read the 3-page thread you'd see it's 3 pages of people all agreeing that the OP was silly. But why do that when you can just gratuitously insult everyone?

These two posts were back to back. Nomar never fails to entertain.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
These two posts were back to back. Nomar never fails to entertain.

Anyone with a room temp IQ can see how dumb your post is. But I'll feed this to you like you're my 2-year-old: You bolded the less important part of my post, which I only wrote in the context of disagreeing with him. You think I wrote my post to complain about the refs??? Huh?

I disagreed with him (not bolded), made a concession (bolded), then reemphasized my disagreement with him (not bolded).

It's as if you think people don't know to read.

Reaction Score
This thread must be some sort of a joke. Did we forget our recruitment while in the AAC? For all the bitching about the BE, we recruit best when we are in this league. Grass is always greener folks.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice against Nova how much they were grabbing and holding our guys as they ran through screens and ran the offense? The lack of calls helps these teams when they play us. It happens every game but against Nova it was much more apparent.

Reaction Score

You must be really old Rippowam high school close like 30 years ago lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Couldn't believe this thread was back up high on the forum.

Is the Big East a worse option for UConn than any P4 conference? Yes.
Would UConn leave it for any P4 conference? Yes.
Does UConn have that option? No.
Is the Big East better than any non P4 conference? Yes.
Is the Big East thus the best actually available option for UConn? Yes.

Based on the foregoing mostly undisputed facts, what action is the school is supposed to take? Cry more? Folks here have that covered. Whine and stomp their feet? UConn Twitter excels at that.

When more stuff happens, UConn will re-evaluate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom