We need to play fast | The Boneyard

We need to play fast

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Our team is not made for a half court offense at this point. We need to press and get out in transition. Run all game. The more we slow it down the worse we play. If not, our defense needs to be incredible.

Reaction Score
i hope nelson muntz doesnt happen across this thread...but it's not rocket science. if we play fast we would also have our most skilled guys on the floor together:

cole/gaff
aj
polley
martin
sanogo/whaley

besides bouk, what is this lineup lacking? it's athletic, it can defend, it can rebound, it can pass, it can shoot. i must be missing something because it makes too much sense

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I disagree. This team would commit 20 turnovers a game playing uptempo. Jackson hasn’t even caught up to the current game speed. Martin can’t make a layup when he plays fast. We have 1 above average ball handler for his position on this team. We need to play slow and big and feed Sanogo.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes out current style of play is boring and not going to encourage good players to sign with us
That’s not it. We are stuck and need to play to our strengths. Speed and athleticism. We’re not a jump shooting team

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I disagree. This team would commit 20 turnovers a game playing uptempo. Jackson hasn’t even caught up to the current game speed. Martin can’t make a layup when he plays fast. We have 1 above average ball handler for his position on this team. We need to play slow and big and feed Sanogo.
What have you seen that Jackson hasn't caught up to game speed? He's finished well in the few transition opportunities he's been given, is a good passer with good vision already, and had an insane chase down block.

Reaction Score
Seems to me Hurley has demonstrated he’s going to play one way and that’s it. Weave on offense and doubling man on D. I don’t understand how u can’t have multiple ways of playing.

The Chiefs gave Todd Bowles all kinds of kudos for CHANGING HOW THEY PLAYED defense in the game. And loook what happened..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Our team is not made for a half court offense at this point. We need to press and get out in transition. Run all game. The more we slow it down the worse we play. If not, our defense needs to be incredible.

Have been saying this for two years. It's one of the reasons why I thought Andre Jackson would be a key player for us when he came back. He is perfect for a press and run style team. Guys like Adams also play better fast. Even Polley is better shooting 3's in transition than from a half court offense. Akok is a huge weapon in transition, the guy can fly.

Hurley seems to think we can't play fast because we can't score enough points. I think that's ass-backwards. We don't score enough points because our half court offense isn't effective and we lack the shooters it requires. Those same players can be effective in transition.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Have been saying this for two years. It's one of the reasons why I thought Andre Jackson would be a key player for us when he came back. He is perfect for a press and run style team. Guys like Adams also play better fast. Even Polley is better shooting 3's in transition than from a half court offense. Akok is a huge weapon in transition, the guy can fly.

Hurley seems to think we can't play fast because we can't score enough points. I think that's ass-backwards. We don't score enough points because our half court offense isn't effective and we lack the shooters it requires. Those same players can be effective in transition.
We're always going to have players to play fast and we should. We'll also be able to play a halfcourt offense in the future, but for now we have to speed up the game

Reaction Score
Providence’s little fake press sucked and we should be getting layups off of it. Someone like Marcus Williams would’ve laughed at such a press and Marcus had a season where he was literally our only ball handler. I think we have to let Jackson loose even if he makes some mistakes. He has the athleticism and court vision to play fast and make plays.

Reaction Score
I agree we need to run more and up the tempo. I could be misremembering, but I feel like that's what happened in the Marquette game that Bouk got hurt in. I remember the tempo being way faster than usual at times and thinking "FINALLY!" And what was the outcome of that game? Polley also had a great game.

Reaction Score
I don't know if we need to play fast or not... but we need to get better looks earlier in the clock. We often get caught up in a bad shot late in the possession and it doesn't look pretty. Too much perimeter weaving?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I could be wrong about this, but I thought Hurley liked to recruit athletic guys to play pressure D and get out in transition.

We have the guys who can force turnovers with their length, block shots and we rebound really well. Don’t know why Hurley seems to slow this team down to run half court sets (that they don’t actually run effectively).

Reaction Score
besides bouk, what is this lineup lacking? it's athletic, it can defend, it can rebound, it can pass, it can shoot. i must be missing something because it makes too much sense
What you're missing is the same thing UConn is missing, shots! UConn is ranked 233 in shooting percentage. Look at these average FG% stats:

Cole - 36.3%
Polley - 37.5%
Gaffney - 38.1%
Adams - 30.6%

?

Reaction Score
This team has not shown the ability to play fast. When it speeds up, it gets sloppy.

It would be great to go up tempo. It may not be possible.

Reaction Score
We don't have the horses to run an effective fast-break on a consistent basis. However, what we need to do is run a successful secondary break and get quality shots with 10-20 seconds on the clock.

If we don't have the numbers on the break we need to immediately set up in an overload and work thru the 4 man and the trailer on the break. I can't tell you how many times I watch games and I see us pull the ball back and set up the offense when we had opportunities to score on a much higher percentage shot.

Reaction Score
Good point here if the coaches played to it. Our outside shoot is suspect so to a run the clock offensive and many useless passes side to side for an open 3 point aren't rewarding. A fast break offense depends on steals, great rebounding and outlet passes. We don't do that at all it seems, we want to dribble all the time wasting 10 seconds to cross half court and another 10 passing the ball around to no effect. That leaves 7-10 seconds to find a suitable shot. This pace doesn't work! Recent games seem to show our team waiting until the defense if fully set before we make a move. Does this make sense????

Reaction Score
Give faster temp a chance. What we have done with the current line-up choices hasn't been successful. Our most aggressive player seems to be Cole and try as he might, driving late in the 30 seconds against bigs is a challenge. Jackson or Martin might be a better choice and get the foul line at times if we continue to play slow.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What makes you think our current offense is the right way to go as of now?

Reaction Score
Playing slowly (on purpose) and being a poor shooting team is a recipe for disaster. We need more shots not less. We compensated for our deficiencies by getting more opportunities, via offensive rebounds, but that advantage seems to have vanished.

Reaction Score
I wondered why we were not running more 3 games into the season. In addition to simply not pushing the ball, our PGs seemed to suck at it.

Cole basically never gave it up to a wing. Instead he ended up taking some ill-advised circus shot himself. Gaff always found himself on the wing, not pushing the ball. Instead attempting to finish. Also doing that poorly.

I came to the conclusion that Hurley does not want to run the ball. Im not sure why. Maybe he recognized the same. Our pgs suck at it. I haven't seen much that has changed my opinion.

In short, I believe we are not running by design. Or maybe out of necessity. I don't think that is going to change.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom