We need Samson back ASAP | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We need Samson back ASAP

Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing SJ get significant minutes unless he breaks out in his first game action. Until AJ proves himself as scoring threat, SJ won’t see meaningful minutes. Can’t be 3 on 5 on offense.

Reaction Score
I know the conventional wisdom is that Johnson is exactly what we need to provide a more physical presence at the 4, but is there any evidence that he actually has what it takes -- in a 5-on-5 setting, not based on measurables, athleticism, or potential -- to reliably do this?

Reaction Score
No. But that's the same as any first year player (which Samson essentially is). Hurley thought he was good enough to start at the 4 to start the season though so I think thats a good sign at least

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wait, wait, wait. hoad up... am i to understand that there is a mechanism here where a posters' thoughts can be blocked by another when that poster is signed on? seriously? so, what aboot when they're not signed on? do the deployers think that their drivel will not be seen? hokey smokes, that's whacked. the 'tool' is not the issue, that's management's bitness. using it is the matter. lame squared
speaking of tools and lamo squared,
'Johnson is an entirely different player than either of them. Freak athlete who can guard just about anyone if his BBIQ is improved.'
umm, no. this 'freak' label often used here is never correct ('sid's a freak! ajax is a freak! and now we have 'samson's a freak!' oh, brother...)
hey! formula 409! this is a freak

and now, the NBA is going full on freak mode to closely watch for teams tanking hard in an attempt to land him.
'Around 200 NBA team representatives and more than 70 media outlets were on hand for the teenager’s first ever match on US soil'

'The four-time NBA champion repaid the compliment, calling him a “generational talent”.
“No-one has ever seen anyone as tall as he is but as fluid and as graceful as he is out on the floor,” James said on Wednesday.
“I mean at 7 foot-4 or 7 foot-5 or 7 foot-3, whatever the case may be, his ability to put the ball on the floor, shoot step-back jumpers out of the post, step-back threes, catch-and-shoot threes, block shots.”

7'4 or 7'5, eight foot wingspan, shoots 3's as well as anyone... 18 years young.
now, that's a freak.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing SJ get significant minutes unless he breaks out in his first game action. Until AJ proves himself as scoring threat, SJ won’t see meaningful minutes. Can’t be 3 on 5 on offense.
This makes no sense. Tells me you know nothing about him. He can shoot from outside and finish around the rim. It's not an issue. Senior year in HS he shot 67% and 37% from 3.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wait, wait, wait. hoad up... am i to understand that there is a mechanism here where a posters' thoughts can be blocked by another when that poster is signed on? seriously? so, what aboot when they're not signed on? do the deployers think that their drivel will not be seen? hokey smokes, that's whacked. the 'tool' is not the issue, that's management's bitness. using it is the matter. lame squared
'Johnson is an entirely different player than either of them. Freak athlete who can guard just about anyone if his BBIQ is improved.'
umm, no. this 'freak' label often used here is never correct ('sid's a freak! ajax is a freak! and now we have 'samson's a freak!' oh, brother...)

and now, the NBA is going full on freak mode to closely watch for teams tanking hard in an attempt to land him.
'Around 200 NBA team representatives and more than 70 media outlets were on hand for the teenager’s first ever match on US soil'

'The four-time NBA champion repaid the compliment, calling him a “generational talent”.
“No-one has ever seen anyone as tall as he is but as fluid and as graceful as he is out on the floor,” James said on Wednesday.
“I mean at 7 foot-4 or 7 foot-5 or 7 foot-3, whatever the case may be, his ability to put the ball on the floor, shoot step-back jumpers out of the post, step-back threes, catch-and-shoot threes, block shots.”

7'4 or 7'5, eight foot wingspan, shoots 3's as well as anyone... 18 years young.
now, that's a freak.

he got 'cuffed.'
and now, for the nonplaying, clueless, analysts here, a teaching moment.
'cuff.' the cuff is one of the most rare plays in the game, more an accident than a plan, but some superstars are able to do it more often.
at 1:30 in the vid, guy goes flying to the rim, but mr special blocks it clean in a way that sends the shooter crashing to the floor. here, the announcer sez 'oooh!' and everyone goes 'dang!'
it lifts the team's spirit, and scares the pants off the opponents.
ie, 'u got served. don't do that again.'

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This makes no sense. Tells me you know nothing about him. He can shoot from outside and finish around the rim. It's not an issue. Senior year in HS he shot 67% and 37% from 3.
I’m not convinced he can stay on the floor defensively. He’s played 22 minutes v. P6 teams in his career and is on pace to commit a foul 3x a minute. He’ll bring a quick, lengthy defensive switch look for a few minutes, I think that is all we should expect from him.

I’ll take anything Karaban provides offensively first.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No. Johnson is an entirely different player than either of them. Freak athlete who can guard just about anyone if his BBIQ is improved. Much more limited offensively.
So still a ? BBIQ on defense (only Hurley knows about this) and very limited offensively. We also don't know if he is even near playing condition. Couldn't we just use Springs for 5-8 mins? Hard to believe he couldn't help us against some of the more physical teams (nearly everyone compared to us)?

?????????????????????????????????

Reaction Score
High school was a long time ago . Take those stats with a grain of salt. He’s barely sniffed the floor for us. I’d love to be wrong but I just think he’s missed too much time this year to be expected to be more of a net+ than AK.

Reaction Score
So still a ? BBIQ on defense (only Hurley knows about this) and very limited offensively. We also don't know if he is even near playing condition. Couldn't we just use Springs for 5-8 mins? Hard to believe he couldn't help us against some of the more physical teams (nearly everyone compared to us)?

?????????????????????????????????
DH’s first year here where he didn’t really play Whaley till the last game, admitted he should have tried to find him minutes, then IW broke out the following season has really put unfair expectations on any big who sits the bench.

By all accounts Richie is a great kid who has been loyal to the program in a way many would never. Always (outside looking in) seems to have a good attitude. Dan has seen him now for 4 years straight. If he thought he was an upgrade over what we play for 5-8 a game. I think we would have seen it by now.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
man, u got it bad for this guy. lately, i fully expect the words 'SJ' to appear in the first sentence of any post u make.
let's see if it plays out like my affinities for jmoney, whose squad currently has more votes in the Coach's poll than Kentucky or North Carolina, or donno, who currently is awesomesauce, and some here are slowly getting it.
we'll know in the fullness of time, but as of now, i have no idea how it plays out. it looks like he should board a bit. i think i'll hold off on the ankle breaking handle, and the perimeter shooting wonderfulness. kinda sounds like the bitcoin kooks at this point. i well remember ur essays on that.
that's all i've got, so far. here's to hoping.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score

now, that's a freak.

Different levels of freak I guess. At 6"0 with a [generous] 15" vert, all the above qualify for me.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think I saw him at Walmart, might have been with Elvis.
1673294823415.png

Reaction Score
Hurley has said nothing lately on his return. Couple weeks ago it was very soon.
I am pretty sure in the providence pre game availability with the media he said Samson was going to be starting activities this week before ramping up. Something along those lines anyway

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If the coaches aren't playing springs AT ALL for the past 4 years, I think it's fair to assume he's simply just not good enough to play for us. They aren't idiots TRYING to lose games or something.

Who was our 4 last year?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
man, u got it bad for this guy. lately, i fully expect the words 'SJ' to appear in the first sentence of any post u make.
let's see if it plays out like my affinities for jmoney, whose squad currently has more votes in the Coach's poll than Kentucky or North Carolina, or donno, who currently is awesomesauce, and some here are slowly getting it.
we'll know in the fullness of time, but as of now, i have no idea how it plays out. it looks like he should board a bit. i think i'll hold off on the ankle breaking handle, and the perimeter shooting wonderfulness. kinda sounds like the bitcoin kooks at this point. i well remember ur essays on that.
Nah. Anybody who thinks he's an offensive liability compared to what we've had at the position for several years (not including Karaban) is just talking nonsense. There is no issue playing him with Jackson, which is what was suggested.

Reaction Score
We have no idea if he can do those things in Big East college games. We all hope so but we have no idea.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You are correct. I, for one, am not convinced that Johnson will be a contributor at this level. I know some people on this board don't want to here it (and I really hope I'm wrong)... but I worry he's going to end up on the Springs plan.
That’s a wild statement tbh. He literally started the first game, and was going to be in the rotation regardless if Alex is better. Richie never got this close to playing real minutes in 4 years.

Reaction Score
Correction on my response, sorry about that.

Yep, I stand corrected on the spelling. Samson, got it.

Also, I hope the scenarion happens...even if its unlikely...because it would help a lot if Clingan and Sanogo benched early at the wrong time in a game.

Well, we'll see soon enough.....

Reaction Score
I really want Samson back and he did some nice stuff in game one but 4 fouls in 17 minutes against a first year division 1 team doesn’t give me a lot of confidence he can guard any of the good 4s in the BE. I think he‘d definitely help our recent rebounding woes.

Reaction Score
Is there a reason he types like this?

Reaction Score
This post really made reviews of Samson hit home. NO ONE knows anything about him in college. He has played 80 minutes TOTAL. Clearly any positive, negative, or middle ground comments are pure conjecture

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom