We need more players to shoot the ball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We need more players to shoot the ball

Reaction Score
It's a good thing the freshman are who they are meaning all of them are looking to score. CD, Nika and Aubrey are not looking to score. They are looking to pass to Paige or pass it in to AE whether she's open or not. I will say, Nika did start looking to score and did score near the end of the game.

Without Azzi, IMO the best scoring team on the floor is Paige, AE and 3 freshman (Q off the bench). The speed and quickness is there and the energy is very high.

Without the freshman on the court, the offense seems to slow down to a crawl.

Reaction Score
I would love for Caroline to start the game with more of a "must shoot" focus. Especially if she is starting. She could set a goal to take at least 10 shots a game- that is 2+ shots a quarter. This might force her to become more aggressive, maybe she'll linger around basket carving out space & demanding ball when in a size mismatch with her defender. Maybe she will attack basket and drive to hoop when lane opens and she has ball. Does she have a turn around jump shot or baby hook in her arsenal? With her height, she could be much more effective. She should go after rebounds more and quickly put a shot up again when she gets them. Once she makes 4 or 5 baskets again in a game, then she'll realize she has always been able to do this.

Reaction Score
I don't think we're changing starters soon enough when they're committing turnovers, not making plays and not hitting shots. That's a sure way to get in a really big hole against good teams.
Geno had a pretty quick hook for Caroline. He may continue to publicly express faith in her game and say that he's "not not gonna start her," but it was telling when KK replaced her 3 minutes into the game yesterday.

sun

Reaction Score
I still believe that Carol could be used as a sub for Azzi & is an adequate enough 3 point shooter.
Carol is taller & harder to defend & she just needs screens.
If she can't make her shots then maybe Q can, or someone else besides Paige can make some mid-range shots.
Some combination of players will need to take some of the defensive focus off of Paige.
KK knows how to draw attention & she has a md-range step back shot, Shade knows how to step back from mid-range too.

Reaction Score
There weren’t many three pointers attempted and only a few made. There were too many layups missed and too many turnovers. The starting line up seems to be quite limited without Azzi. Caroline has been a non factor for three games now. That hurts the flow of the offense from the get go. I understand Geno will continue to start her yet it is detrimental, especially with UCLA coming up and moving forward. until Ayanna is back the team is small. knocking some threes will open it up for Aubrey to do her work. Just wish she would let them fly. She’s capable of hitting the mid range or 3’s.

It’s still so early in the season to be overly concerned. The big concern is Azzi’s knee.

it’s so easy to sit and critique a team, coach or players from the seat at the game or on the couch. The team really is doing the best that they can. Go get ‘‘em Huskies. It’s a blessing to be able to witness them and get frustrated, excited, cheer, get disappointed and celebrate the championships.
My concern is Azzi's mental game. She looks unhappy.

Reaction Score
I would love for Caroline to start the game with more of a "must shoot" focus. Especially if she is starting. She could set a goal to take at least 10 shots a game- that is 2+ shots a quarter. This might force her to become more aggressive, maybe she'll linger around basket carving out space & demanding ball when in a size mismatch with her defender. Maybe she will attack basket and drive to hoop when lane opens and she has ball. Does she have a turn around jump shot or baby hook in her arsenal? With her height, she could be much more effective. She should go after rebounds more and quickly put a shot up again when she gets them. Once she makes 4 or 5 baskets again in a game, then she'll realize she has always been able to do this.
I don't disagree with anything here except that I don't think there is any easy solution. There is a serious residual here either physiological or psychological. I know one thing for sure. We need her even with Azzi returning. She has stopped moving like she used to without the ball which she did better than anyone, even Paige. If she can score it changes everything.

Reaction Score
The problem is not shooting its rebounding. Good article in The Athletic today. Through four games which is a small sample size. They are averaging a rebounding percentage of 51%. The program is lowest since at least 2009, according to her hoop stats which tracks that stat only there for a back. Minnesota held us to one shot very few offensive rebounds for the Huskies. The best way to defend the Huskies is PAC everyone inside the foul line and let him shoot. Hold him to one shot that I am afraid will be the Achilles’ heel of this team.

Reaction Score
Would fine tune some of these comments to say it matters who shoots and where they shoot from. With few exceptions, every in-season game Huskies have lost the past few years have seen them throw up and miss many 3's from far outside. Offense tends to stagnate and they stop driving and getting the high probability midrange shots. Huskies are a good 3 point shooting team, but there are times every team gets cold from the outside. Not sure if UConn has a "Plan 5" offense this early in the year to go to if primary offense fails.
I don't think we are a good 3 point shooting team this year at all. In fact we are 5% below the #50 ranked team who shoots .375. We shoot .325. We could be if Azzi comes back and she and Paige take 20 3s between them a game and if Caroline finds her groove. Right now, we are a challenged offensive team in the half court.

sun

Reaction Score
From a 2012 New Yorker article about rebounding that makes a distinction between the value of offensive & defensive rebounding.

Analysts love talking about the value of “second-chance points,” without stopping to consider whether a team can or should be devoting its energy to securing them. People often point out that defense and rebounding win championships. Yet a quick look at this season’s stats shows that there is no correlation between offensive rebounding and team success—more playoff teams were actually below the league average than above it. (This is true historically as well.) The more important rebounding figure to look at, then, is defensive rebounding in isolation, since limiting an opponent’s shots at the basket is an essential component of good defense. (On this stat the Celtics were middle of the pack this season, revealing just how important playing close, dogged defense is to their success.)

THE NEW YORKER: DO OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS MATTER?

Reaction Score
It is evident that Azzi and Caroline are not yet back to what they were. Lingering injuries are the reason. We need scorers. I understand some players are focused on D and thus it showed yesterday almost not scoring which allowed defenses to focus on Paige and Aaliyah and being physical with them really puts a hinder on their performance. When Q came in and took some shots things opened up a bit because they needed to guard her. We need players to step up and score. Q is not afraid to shoot. We need more players to shoot the dam ball. At least be a threat which will force defenses to come out and guard them. How bout dribble drive or pull up jumpers. That will take alot of the pressure off Paige and Aaliyah. Yesterday in a game that was slowed down game it was almost like everybody was looking and waiting for Paige and Aaliyah. A change in attitude should be when you get the ball find a way to get a shot off like you did in high school. In hs you were depended on to score that attitude needs to happen now at UConn. Our youngsters need to take charge much like Q is doing. Force defenses to focus on them. With Azzi and Caroline on the floor defenses need to guard them. We have a tuff schedule coming up and I believe our defense will keep us in the game however we need scoring to come from more players...a more balanced scoring attack. UCLA Kansas and Texas are coming up. I liked what I saw from KK ICE Q and Shade. We need more of that. Nikas pull up jumper from the line was encouraging and we need her to do that more instead of passing to someone else.

We are waiting for our injured to come back. We have continued to wait up to this point. Now we need players to step up and Make It Happen. We cant depend on 2 players to do all the scoring. We will surprise alot of teams when everybody else starts shooting the ball which will force them to guard us more closely.

I like our 3 guard offense with Nika Paige and KK. Nika and KK need to pull up and get open and take shots. The 3 guard offense should cut down on turnovers. Shade and Q need to keep shooting the ball when they touch it. Hey early season I thought that with a healthy Azzi and Caroline we could go undefeated. Theyre not completely healthy yet. So we need players to step up and shoot the ball and everything else should take care of itself.
Uconn with the return of AZ shall be as healthy as they can get. Shooting isn't the problem--making basket a bit but mostly it is DEFENSE, needing a post to back up Edwards, and fewer passes--and ever fewer into traffic. Uconn has 2 terrific passes KK and Paige--and they screw up. Perfection isn't for this world--working toward perfection is within.
I'm very happy with the MD and Minn games.
Losses aren't all about UConn--another team fills the court for a reason--they want to win . Great scouting, game plans, beat a team that plays the same people, same style, and same speed. With the Freshmen. And old folk on the floor Uconn should be able mix up opponent and scouting. I'm 10 feet high on nearly--I said NEARLY-- al Sophs and Freshman--they made a mark in the last 2 games. KK, Ashlyn, Ice, play the game and good Defense--it can only get better. I like this group of kids it shall be a fun year for fans. NC--next year. A Uconn Fan, like a Brooklyn fan of the old daze--can't alwayS be concerned with THIs YEAR..

Reaction Score
It is evident that Azzi and Caroline are not yet back to what they were. Lingering injuries are the reason. We need scorers. I understand some players are focused on D and thus it showed yesterday almost not scoring which allowed defenses to focus on Paige and Aaliyah and being physical with them really puts a hinder on their performance. When Q came in and took some shots things opened up a bit because they needed to guard her. We need players to step up and score. Q is not afraid to shoot. We need more players to shoot the dam ball. At least be a threat which will force defenses to come out and guard them. How bout dribble drive or pull up jumpers. That will take alot of the pressure off Paige and Aaliyah. Yesterday in a game that was slowed down game it was almost like everybody was looking and waiting for Paige and Aaliyah. A change in attitude should be when you get the ball find a way to get a shot off like you did in high school. In hs you were depended on to score that attitude needs to happen now at UConn. Our youngsters need to take charge much like Q is doing. Force defenses to focus on them. With Azzi and Caroline on the floor defenses need to guard them. We have a tuff schedule coming up and I believe our defense will keep us in the game however we need scoring to come from more players...a more balanced scoring attack. UCLA Kansas and Texas are coming up. I liked what I saw from KK ICE Q and Shade. We need more of that. Nikas pull up jumper from the line was encouraging and we need her to do that more instead of passing to someone else.

We are waiting for our injured to come back. We have continued to wait up to this point. Now we need players to step up and Make It Happen. We cant depend on 2 players to do all the scoring. We will surprise alot of teams when everybody else starts shooting the ball which will force them to guard us more closely.

I like our 3 guard offense with Nika Paige and KK. Nika and KK need to pull up and get open and take shots. The 3 guard offense should cut down on turnovers. Shade and Q need to keep shooting the ball when they touch it. Hey early season I thought that with a healthy Azzi and Caroline we could go undefeated. Theyre not completely healthy yet. So we need players to step up and shoot the ball and everything else should take care of itself.
UConn needs the “right” the players taking the “right” shots.

Reaction Score
That's exactly "right". Paige needs to be shooting at least 20 times a game. Her shot selection is usually impeccable. AE often forces shots or forces moves. However, her 15 foot jumper or one on one drive moves are usually good shots. You never see her pass it out once it goes in though unless she is totally shut down. Passing it back out, restablishing and getting it back is a great bigs move. Of course, Azzi's shots are almost always good ones because she can make almost anything. Without Azzi, Paige just has to shoot a lot more. Our two starting forwards Griffs and CD are basically unsure, tentative and not real scoring threats at present. If you have good shooters taking good shots, you will win.

Reaction Score
The last shot Ashlyn took in that game is available all night long. Nike hit one earlier in the game from around the FT line and Azzi and Paige are almost automatic from that range. The offense is moving too much along the 3pt circle allowing the defenders to play further from the basket and contest every shot. Cut and shoot pull up 15 footers and this team will shoot 60%.

Reaction Score
Paige needs to take all of her shots and until Azzi comes back, she needs to take nearly all of Azzi's shots. After all, that's what friends are for.

Reaction Score
Maybe Page's 3 pointer isn't back to where it was before her injury, but sometimes she is passing off when she has a decent 3 available. If being rusty is the reason then ok. If not, Geno will get on her again about being too unselfish.

Reaction Score
If Aubrey does not develop her shot and is so unwilling to take a shot when open, I don't see her being drafted in WNBA next year.
Aubrey has a 29-point game on record. They weren't ALL steals and drives. We have a glut of assistant coaches, one should take AG aside and just shoot, until the majority find the bottom of the net. She's an athlete. She should be able to get it, and if it becomes a condition for playing time, there are hungry frosh salivating for their chances to come off the bench.

Reaction Score
Aubrey has a 29-point game on record. They weren't ALL steals and drives. We have a glut of assistant coaches, one should take AG aside and just shoot, until the majority find the bottom of the net. She's an athlete. She should be able to get it, and if it becomes a condition for playing time, there are hungry frosh salivating for their chances to come off the bench.
The one disagreement I have with Geno is they aren't shooting enough 3 pointers. I think this team has great shooters but none of them to me are spot up three point shooters with the exception of CD and she is struggling. Aubrey has one strength on offense and that is taking the ball toward the basket and that is where he points will come from. Her issue to me along with a couple others is they go too far and end up being defended by players much taller than they are and don't get a good shot. Pull up for a 10-12 footer and they will score at will. Aubrey to me is a very good college player and that is where her focus needs to be.

Reaction Score
Paige is good getting around 14-15 attempts a game. Unless she is in one of those shooting zones. Then I would just feed her the ball and get the heck out of the way. But we got people who can shoot the rock. The key is going to be who, how, and when those players get those looks and if they get the hook too early for missing or if they can shoot without fear of getting the hook.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Paige is good getting around 14-15 attempts a game. Unless she is in one of those shooting zones. Then I would just feed her the ball and get the heck out of the way. But we got people who can shoot the rock. The key is going to be who, how, and when those players get those looks and if they get the hook too early for missing or if they can shoot without fear of getting the hook.
that would be a bad idea because the team shouldn't rely on her doing it on her own ... it's a team effort ...

i do get pissy when paige rejects open shots, which she ridiculously does far too often. i was hoping geno had finally made her realize that she is hurting the team. but she continues to do it. that's being selfish, or simply stubborn.

Reaction Score
We need more players that want to shoot the ball, make or miss. Bueckers, Edwards and Former Fudd seem to be the only players, along with the freshman, who want to shoot. Caroline doesn't even look at the basket, Aubrey doesn't shoot unless she's in the paint, Nika I'll give her credit has been opportunistic and is not scared to shoot but this team needs to get up more shots.

GG

Reaction Score
We need more players that want to shoot the ball, make or miss. Bueckers, Edwards and Former Fudd seem to be the only players, along with the freshman, who want to shoot. Caroline doesn't even look at the basket, Aubrey doesn't shoot unless she's in the paint, Nika I'll give her credit has been opportunistic and is not scared to shoot but this team needs to get up more shots.
I think the freshman will be the ones to step up. Aubrey brings so much to the game, but three point shooting is not her strongest skill. I hope we see CD from freshman year, but I am not confident. The freshman definitely appear to be ready and none of them seem timid. That is what I like best about the frosh. Replacing Azzi will be near impossible, but hopefully Q, Ashlyn and KK are up to the task. I would add that Ice seems capable of hitting a couple threes a game.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe CD not driving/cutting to the basket is due to her being afraid of getting hit in the head. If that was the case I don’t think Geno would play her.

Her teammates do ignore her a lot. She used to play well with Edwards, getting the ball to Edwards and cutting to the basket.

With Geno playing everyone I don’t know what her roll is. She is starting to remind me of Makarut. She should have left Uconn and basketball last year to rest her brain and body. She doesn’t look like someone who basketball is important to. And she is my favorite player. Perhaps an unpopular opinion.

Ask yourself CD are you someplace where a coaching staff wants you or are you someplace a coaching staff needs you?

You are way better than this.
Not sure this is true… I think she is afraid and maybe understandably so, but it’s not just her… this years team and a few others over the years aren’t “getting after it”, lack passion. A big problem is that when Paige and Edwards are on the court everyone else looks to them and so does the opponents. CD is obviously a good ball player, great when Paige went down but really hasn’t grown ever since. We need a banger … especially now. CD and most others have to create their own niche, own it, live it and play together like UConn is known for playing.

Reaction Score
Well with Azzi now done for the year, someone is going to have to step up and take some of the scoring load off AE and Paige.. I would hope that Carol could do it, but she's been in a funk all season so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom