We Need More People to Have More Fans | The Boneyard

We Need More People to Have More Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere
by Lydia Saad

PRINCETON, NJ -- Every state has at least some residents who are looking for greener pastures, but nowhere is the desire to move more prevalent than in Illinois and Connecticut. In both of these states, about half of residents say that if given the chance to move to a different state, they would.

Gallup measured residents' interest in moving out of state by asking, "Regardless of whether you will move, if you had the opportunity, would you like to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your current state?" In three -- Illinois, Connecticut, and Maryland -- roughly just as many residents want to leave as want to stay.The biggest factor residents give for planning to move is for work or business reasons. This is followed by family or other social reasons , weather or location , and then seeking a better quality of life or change . The cost of living is a greater relative factor for residents in Connecticut and New York, while taxes are a uniquely important factor in New York, Illinois, and Maryland.

Bottom Line

A growing population usually means more commerce, more economic vitality, and a bigger tax base to pay for state services. A shrinking population not only hurts government coffers, but can weaken a state politically by virtue of the potential loss of U.S. House members through redistricting every 10 years.

Nevada, Illinois, Maryland, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, and Connecticut all appear particularly vulnerable to losing population in the coming few years: high percentages of their residents say they would leave if they could, and larger-than-average percentages say they are at least somewhat likely to do so in the coming year. At the other end of the spectrum, Texas, Minnesota, and Maine have little to fear. Residents of these states are among the least likely to want to leave and few are planning to leave in the next 12 months.

If these states sound familiar to readers of Gallup's previous 50-state poll articles, it's because several of them also appear at the top or bottom of the states for resident satisfaction with state taxes, state government, and overall perceptions of how their state compares to others as a place to live.

Reaction Score
Man, after this past winter even I was thinking I would move someplace else. It sucked!

Reaction Score
CT has larger population than these football hotbeds: Iowa, Mississippi, Arkansas, Nebraska, West Virginia. Unlike several of those states CT only has one FBS school.

Reaction Score
People leaving doesn't stop affluent people from moving in.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't see anything like a mass exodus. We are pretty stable population wise. Stable, population dense, with decent income. It's not all doom and gloom in CT. :)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I know this article focuses on taxes, but I just think that is an oversimplification. What I think our state desperately needs to do (and is to a very limited extent) is really focus on making our cities exciting, livable and transit oriented. Increasing urban housing will help attract, or at least retain, younger people. And additional urban housing will help reduce, or mitigate, the cost of living in the burbs, which makes the people who took that poll happier.

If you look at some of the most successful states, what they all have is vibrant cities. I think Hartford, Stamford and New Haven all have the bones to be great cities, but the political will still isn't fully there.

Reaction Score
Until the state Government gets its act together, there is no way to make our urban centers more vibrant. Companies do not want to start or stay here. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpowell/2013/08/01/how-did-rich-connecticut-morph-into-one-of-americas-worst-performing-economies/&ei=urpjU6KpAYvlsASszIHIDg&usg=AFQjCNG2Y61Ept7ZU59isvtX1SiKl92MVg&bvm=bv.65636070,d.cWc Until we fix the underlying issues about our state being so anti competetive, we will continue the slow spiral downward

Such a densely populated region requires an enormous amount of infrastructure. It's the problem of living in an area like this, with so many roads, highways, bridges servicing companies with very high salaries. Driving from New Haven to Greenwich underscores this fact. It's a sight to behold. I drive to Toronto occasionally with its 7 million population in the metro area, and it is so similar the SW region of Connecticut. Infrastructure as far as the can see.

Compare it to this: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/01/4996352/kansas-bond-rating-dips-as-revenue.html

$98 million less in revenue means a 50% shortfall there. Think about that. It's a billion in tax revenue per year!! They have a state budget of $14 billion, soon going to $12 billion, for only 500k less people than Connecticut, in a much bigger state.

Conn. collects 2x as much per person at $28b a year.

Conn. would surely lure a lot more companies (looking for cheaper taxes and labor) if it were cheaper, but would it be able to have the infrastructure needed to service its high salary companies? I doubt it.

Reaction Score
I don't see anything like a mass exodus. We are pretty stable population wise. Stable, population dense, with decent income. It's not all doom and gloom in CT. :)
Its not....I know that for people at or near retirement, they do look elsewhere and CT is one of the five worst states to live in when retiring. I also know, that I pay well over $10,000 in property taxes and trust me I am not wealthy. My same house would cost less top purchase in N.C., S.C., TN, TX, VA, etc. and believe me I could go on. The property taxes would be reduced to 20-25% of what I am paying now. Not small chump change when considering over the next 17 years my daughter would have her college PAID for. So why am I here, not because of CT, but like most people, who are here, it is our families that live here. But as I have seen, once one family member leaves, many of their immediate relatives follow them out. So sure its not a mass exodus, but hey, lets not do anything to try to make this state attractive. I know this may not sound right, but, when I am pyaing instate college tuition in another state for some other university, I will have a warm place for UConn but an even warmer place for where my daughter attends....and that is reality!!!

Reaction Score
People have been exiting CT in huge numbers since the 1600's
Farming this state makes any hardship living there today seem trivial.
Anyone with a lawn understands what I mean.
Winters then were actually worse,Was anyone ice skating in New Haven harbor this year? The people that stayed were tough and ingenious, and eventually replaced by hard working immigrants. The common thread of Connecticut people is to make the next generation more successful than the last. If that mean moving out so be it. That sounds intuitive but it's not.
They moved to NY,NJ,Vermont,West Mass, Penn,Ohio,Michigan,then later out west.
Yet the population is at an all-time high.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Its not....I know that for people at or near retirement, they do look elsewhere and CT is one of the five worst states to live in when retiring. I also know, that I pay well over $10,000 in property taxes and trust me I am not wealthy. My same house would cost less top purchase in N.C., S.C., TN, TX, VA, etc. and believe me I could go on. The property taxes would be reduced to 20-25% of what I am paying now. Not small chump change when considering over the next 17 years my daughter would have her college PAID for. So why am I here, not because of CT, but like most people, who are here, it is our families that live here. But as I have seen, once one family member leaves, many of their immediate relatives follow them out. So sure its not a mass exodus, but hey, lets not do anything to try to make this state attractive. I know this may not sound right, but, when I am pyaing instate college tuition in another state for some other university, I will have a warm place for UConn but an even warmer place for where my daughter attends....and that is reality!!!
Tried to convince my wife to move to Raleigh... No dice. :)

Reaction Score
After this long polar vortex of a winter I'm surprised it's not 100% of the people wanting to leave. Ask the same question in October and I'll bet you get a different answer.

Reaction Score
CTMike said:
Tried to convince my wife to move to Raleigh... No dice. :)

Try again. Life is better down here.

Reaction Score
After this long polar vortex of a winter I'm surprised it's not 100% of the people wanting to leave. Ask the same question in October and I'll bet you get a different answer.
Why will our taxes be going down? -;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Until the state Government gets its act together, there is no way to make our urban centers more vibrant. Companies do not want to start or stay here. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpowell/2013/08/01/how-did-rich-connecticut-morph-into-one-of-americas-worst-performing-economies/&ei=urpjU6KpAYvlsASszIHIDg&usg=AFQjCNG2Y61Ept7ZU59isvtX1SiKl92MVg&bvm=bv.65636070,d.cWc Until we fix the underlying issues about our state being so anti competetive, we will continue the slow spiral downward

The state government is doing exactly what they were voted in to office to do. Everything that is "wrong" with Ct economically can be fixed by the voters. Problem is too many of them don't see what's going on as being wrong or bad.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
As a New Jerseyan I'm amused that what we say (we want to move) is different from what we do (we're not moving.) Born to run baby!

Notice that the majority of the "want to move" states are Northeastern...city folk complain about everything, and it is probably best not to take them at their word.

Reaction Score
The one's who move are losers who can't make it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom