We need leadership with these young'uns and newbies. | The Boneyard

We need leadership with these young'uns and newbies.

Reaction Score
It also looked like we were leaderless in our comeback attempt and zone attack. I'm not talking about point production, assists and the strong will of Jalen's personality. I'm speaking of a floor general who can command this team.

There were times when our players looked confused and Jalen is our most experienced player and our point guard/ballhandler. I'm not sure if leadership can be taught and if its not in him, it is what it is. He's a legit D1 baller but perhaps not the leader we were expecting. This is a void that needs to be filled. I really hope that Jalen can become that player whether this season or next. Perhaps Ollie can go over the Greats with him and show how important they were to our successes.

How many years were we watching 'that guard' hold his hand/fingers up calling plays and directing players to their positions? How many years were we watching 'that guard' encourage, talk to and charge his teammates to play better? I guess we are spoiled.

Just saying UConn is at its strongest when we have that floor general guiding his teammates and ensuring things are the way they should be. Also one who transmits excellence and of course a Coach on the floor. That list is very long here at UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jalen is a wonderfully talented player. Skill-wise he is as good as some of the greats that came before him. I believe, without hesitation, that if he was on say Kansas with a better surrounding cast and more offensive cohesion he'd be an All-American caliber player. However, I don't see him as that "leader" that you refer to. He's a guy who can get his especially when he needs to. I'm not trying to call him selfish, I just don't think he has that intangible to make everyone around him better and have players raise their level to match his. Bazz, Kemba, Khalid and some others all had "it" to complement their talent. And not everyone does. Super talented, obviously. In some ways he reminds me of Ben Gordon. He was a killer on the court, but he could sulk and be a baby. But Ben had guys around him (Taliek, Emeka, JC) who could get him out of his funk and redirect. Jalen does not have that in really any form, sadly, not even from his coach.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a wonderfully talented player. Skill-wise he is as good as some of the greats that came before him. I believe, without hesitation, that if he was on say Kansas with a better surrounding cast and more offensive cohesion he'd be an All-American caliber player. However, I don't see him as that "leader" that you refer to. He's a guy who can get his especially when he needs to. I'm not trying to call him selfish, I just don't think he has that intangible to make everyone around him better and have players raise their level to match his. Bazz, Kemba, Khalid and some others all had "it" to complement their talent. And not everyone does. Super talented, obviously. In some ways he reminds me of Ben Gordon. He was a killer on the court, but he could sulk and be a baby. But Ben had guys around him (Taliek, Emeka, JC) who could get him out of his funk and redirect. Jalen does not have that in really any form, sadly, not even from his coach.

Jalen wants "his" and that means most it would seem to me. He smiles and gloats when he does something he deems spectacular, he blames someone else when his guy scores. He threw 3-4 passes that were to look pretty rather than delivering the goods. The days of a chest pass or one hand bounce pass ar gone, he wants to show the world he has it all. 3 years in and he's learned little other than how to score. Bazz had a tough soph year and somehow bounced to his junior year and there was the leader. I was hoping JA would do the same, grow up and become that. He hasn't and as boog says sometimes kids just don't have that in them.

Reaction Score
Jalen wants "his" and that means most it would seem to me. He smiles and gloats when he does something he deems spectacular, he blames someone else when his guy scores. He threw 3-4 passes that were to look pretty rather than delivering the goods. The days of a chest pass or one hand bounce pass ar gone, he wants to show the world he has it all. 3 years in and he's learned little other than how to score. Bazz had a tough soph year and somehow bounced to his junior year and there was the leader. I was hoping JA would do the same, grow up and become that. He hasn't and as boog says sometimes kids just don't have that in them.
I also notice he does not possess good floor vision, which is critical for a point guard. Again, I don't know if that can be taught but there were times he waited too long to pass, or thought his man was open when he was covered when he passed it. Head scratching is Ollie was a point guard (NBA) and Jalen is his job security. Ollie should commit to teaching Jalen everything he knows, helping him the way he did Bazz and Boat. However maybe Ollie is trying and its the student not the teacher (or both) that's the issue.

Reaction Score
I also notice he does not possess good floor vision, which is critical for a point guard. Again, I don't know if that can be taught but there were times he waited too long to pass, or thought his man was open when he was covered when he passed it. Head scratching is Ollie was a point guard (NBA) and Jalen is his job security. Ollie should commit to teaching Jalen everything he knows, helping him the way he did Bazz and Boat. However maybe Ollie is trying and its the student not the teacher (or both) that's the issue.

Wasn't the "knock" on Jalen that he wasn't really a point guard? Didn't he get the dreaded "lead" guard label? I still had some fading optimism that a Gilbert-Adams backcourt could be lethal with Adams playing the Ben Gordon role as the full-time scorer, part-time facilitator. The other thing that I would be remiss in mentioning is that while Jalen may not have great floor vision, our absolutely piss-poor offensive structure affords him little opportunity to illustrate what vision he does have. I know I (and others) have beaten it to death, but the lack of spacing, player motion, effective screening, ball movement and everything else often leaves Jalen on an island to make a play. Often he does and other times he just tries to do too much because he HAS to. I hate knocking him on that when basically the reliance is completely on him. It's in some ways similar to what former 76ers stated about playing with AI and how he was not a ball hog or a chucker. AI was on a team with no offensive players so with 7 left on the clock the best move was to give the ball to Iverson and get out of the way.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the "knock" on Jalen that he wasn't really a point guard? Didn't he get the dreaded "lead" guard label? I still had some fading optimism that a Gilbert-Adams backcourt could be lethal with Adams playing the Ben Gordon role as the full-time scorer, part-time facilitator. The other thing that I would be remiss in mentioning is that while Jalen may not have great floor vision, our absolutely piss-poor offensive structure affords him little opportunity to illustrate what vision he does have. I know I (and others) have beaten it to death, but the lack of spacing, player motion, effective screening, ball movement and everything else often leaves Jalen on an island to make a play. Often he does and other times he just tries to do too much because he HAS to. I hate knocking him on that when basically the reliance is completely on him. It's in some ways similar to what former 76ers stated about playing with AI and how he was not a ball hog or a chucker. AI was on a team with no offensive players so with 7 left on the clock the best move was to give the ball to Iverson and get out of the way.
It appears we are a 'Boatright' type team redux. How we continue to get into this situations recently is beyond me.

But I agree perhaps he was made to be a point guard by default, however if he can learn to play it, I think that's his NBA calling.

Anyway, hopefully Jalen will stay one more year and be able to truly showcase his talents with a more seasoned team.

Reaction Score
Adams is far and away the most overrated player in UConn history.

Rudy Gay can now rest easy.

No way. Rudy and Drummond both disappointed more for expectations while at UConn. Jalen is insanely talented right now when he’s trying to score, being a floor general....eh(and that’s generous)

Reaction Score
Comparing him with Jr Bazz is a cheap shot.
Bazz had RB in the backcourt with him and they played a full season together and still had some issues
as late as 2013-2014
How would Adams be after two years with a guy who could beat his man at will and finish.or even make a shot Instead of guys who depended on him to get their shot.
We’re talking apples vs oranges

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Jalen is a combo guard. That's the problem

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No way. Rudy and Drummond both disappointed more for expectations while at UConn. Jalen is insanely talented right now when he’s trying to score, being a floor general....eh(and that’s generous)

I’m not talking about expectations. I’m talking about their actual play. There are 100 guys who didn’t live up to expectations.

Reaction Score
I think the difference between Jalen and Shabazz/Kemba can be summed up in one word: laziness. Some of the passes he threw in the first half last night were just pure laziness. He plays very lazy defense. And he doesn't have the fire that Shabazz and Kemba both did. I think it also reflects in his conditioning. I know he is playing almost the entire game most nights, but so did Shabazz and Kemba. He always looks winded to me. To me, he plays like it's owed to him, not like he's supposed to go out and get it. Unless/until he does, I don't see him taking his game to the next level like Shabazz and Kemba both did before they left UConn.

Reaction Score
Personally I don't think its fair with all the criticism and shade Jalen is getting here. The kid is the best thing we've had since Bazz. He's got too much talent for the staff not to find a way to get it out of him. He's our best AA candidate right now and seemingly our near future.

To me the real and only question 'is he teachable?'.

If he is then its a staff fail, if not then perhaps we are seeing the real Jalen (still talented though).

Reaction Score
The biggest problem (and there are many) is that our two captains Terry and Jalen play virtually no defense. They are just going through the motions at best and I hate how Adams is always smiling when the team is losing. They need a stern Calhoun talking to and we need tougher kids.

Reaction Score
Our best offense last night was when Vital was running the point. Not saying this is the answer going forward, but we were much better off with him handling than Anderson. Adams looked to me that he was reluctant to penetrate in the last 10 minutes, likely because he was afraid of picking up his 5th foul. CV was able to get into the lane and if we can get him to dish it off on occasion that could be a good offense. Anderson needs to only shoot when he is wide wide open (like no one within 10 feet). Unfortunately without Gilbert we need to likely sit Anderson more and play with Cobb and Diarra in at the same time...that gives us very little margin for error with regards to fouls for our big guys.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I’m not talking about expectations. I’m talking about their actual play. There are 100 guys who didn’t live up to expectations.

Oh, okay. Glad you cleared that up. I can put my "Ajou Deng" card back into my file cabinet now... ;)

Reaction Score
At this rate I don't see Jalen entering his name into the draft, and I kind of hope it stays that way too.

We do still have that 2018 SG recruiting slot open if I'm not mistaken.

Fun speculation here, but I wouldn't mind next years starting lineup:

Alterique (if healthy)
Jalen
Sid
Diarra
Cobb/Maybe Kisunas

Second Unit:

Akinjo
Vital
EMjr
Polley
Carlton/Maybe Kisunas

This is ofcourse assuming Terry leaves but even that looks less probable as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
Jumped into this thread thinking we needed leadership for these newbies on the BY.

Oh well. Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy these burning responses...

Reaction Score
Jumped into this thread thinking we needed leadership for these newbies on the BY.

Oh well. Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy these burning responses...
This Board has beat down the most disciplined and focused posters. Derailment is what we do here.

Reaction Score
Vital feels like the best leader on the team right now. Despite the unabashed pessimism of the board right now, I really do have some faith in this program in 1-2 years if we can retain the players we have and add some more size on the block.

And I don't even think this season is lost. Could be a second weekend team still if they can figure things out in the next few games. Does feel unlikely, but not crazy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom