Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We've hit a lull.

Are the West Virginia guys awake yet?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
UVA and UNC to the Big 10.

Navy, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, and USF are all heading for the ACC.

UH and SMU get invited to the MWC.

UConn continues to outperform BC in every single relevant sport.

Reaction Score
FWIW: On the aforementioned WVU board, the guy WinchesterBuck is stating that he is "hearing" UConn is pulling ahead of BC...

Reaction Score
FWIW: On the aforementioned WVU board, the guy WinchesterBuck is stating that he is "hearing" UConn is pulling ahead of BC...
I caught that one too. Judging the username he must be a buckeye.

Any one know where rulookinatme is hiding??

Reaction Score
Please help us Maryland Lawsuit, you're our only hope.
I believe the first court date is 2/18. No idea if anything will happen then but you can be sure the ACC wants to drag this out as long as possible.

Reaction Score
I would like to hear more UConn to the PAC 12 rumors please. This is an area that has not been fully explored. What about Larry Scott? He is an innovator. What is he saying these days that we can parse to hell? UConn and who from the Northeast? -- we will need a travel partner.

Reaction Score
What really makes me laugh is they think Johns Hopkins is going to the b1g
Agreed. As if a Chicago University Professor is going to call up a John Hopkins Dr. to work with them on some research and the Hopkins dude says, "sorry, I can't. We are not affiliated with the same athletic conference".

Reaction Score
Here's a rumor that I've read elsewhere.

One of the things that has Boeheim so bothered right now is that the Southerland thing revealed some discrepancies in Cuse academic advisement for bball. Something similar to the McAdoo case at North Carolina where McAdoo was exonerated when it was clear plagiarism BECAUSE of the advisor's hand in the work. At UNC her name was Jennifer Wiley. This gets really murky because players should know better, but if the whole thing is orchestrated by admnistrators, the school's hands are tied. They have you by the nuts. I've read rumors that there will be an overhaul at Cuse, and that Boeheim is not taking kindly to it. Do NOT be surprised if this is it for him, not because of the move to the ACC, but because of this case. And, Hopkins apparently may not be long for Cuse either. He's getting nibbles at USC. I'm sure Gross would love to pawn him off to his former school. I don't know why Hopkins's name was mentioned in this news--I can't see why an assistant coach would have anything to do with advisement.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Ottawa just announced that the University of Connecticut will be invited to join the Canadian Football League and begin play in September 2013. The UConn schedule will include the BC Lions, Saskatchewan Rough Riders, and Montreal Alouettes at home while they will visit the Edmonton Eskimos, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Calgary Stampeders, and Toronto Argonauts. The new television deal will provide the University with $40M per year. The final decision was made based on UConn's nickname, "the Huskies," which as a dog indigenous to the north country provided a perfect fit for the CFL. UConn has been installed as the favorite to win the Grey Cup.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

One of the things that has Boeheim so bothered right now is that the Southerland thing revealed some discrepancies in Cuse academic advisement for bball. Something similar to the McAdoo case at North Carolina where McAdoo was exonerated when it was clear plagiarism BECAUSE of the advisor's hand in the work. At UNC her name was Jennifer Wiley. This gets really murky because players should know better, but if the whole thing is orchestrated by admnistrators, the school's hands are tied. They have you by the nuts. I've read rumors that there will be an overhaul at Cuse, and that Boeheim is not taking kindly to it. Do NOT be surprised if this is it for him, not because of the move to the ACC, but because of this case. And, Hopkins apparently may not be long for Cuse either. He's getting nibbles at USC. I'm sure Gross would love to pawn him off to his former school. I don't know why Hopkins's name was mentioned in this news--I can't see why an assistant coach would have anything to do with advisement.

theres a little dirty secret among the round table of BE coaches that know JC, JB and RP all think they will never coach a game outside the BE and retire beforehand.

Reaction Score
theres a little dirty secret among the round table of BE coaches that know JC, JB and RP all think they will never coach a game outside the BE and retire beforehand.
I can see JB as he's a Big East lifer, but outside of some years at PC, Pitino's not really a Big East guy, and I can't really see him jetting out of spite because he doesn't want to coach in the ACC.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I believe the first court date is 2/18. No idea if anything will happen then but you can be sure the ACC wants to drag this out as long as possible.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/52335/on-the-record-acc-commissioner-john-swofford

Swofford trying to play it cool (I don't see any direct correlation there -- yeah right, ha ha!):
Onto the topic of Maryland. Where does that lawsuit currently stand, and when do you expect a resolution with that?

JS: Well, I wouldn’t give any predictions on that. It’s a legal matter our legal team will be handling. Certainly we continue to wish Maryland the best as they make their transition to the Big Ten. Simply put, there’s an expectation from our league and our council of presidents that the obligation of leaving is appropriately fulfilled.

Is it even more important that that obligation is fulfilled, considering the Big 12 hasn’t ruled out expansion?

JS: I don’t really see any direct correlation there.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/52343/acc-winter-meetings-rewind

The most interesting is this (Swofford letting the Big 12 have a champ game at 10 teams means expansion may not be needed. My guess is that the Big Ten, SEC and PAC-12 will NOT support it):

Here were the highlights, according to Swofford:
  • The athletic directors voted to support the Big 12’s proposal to remove NCAA language in current legislation that stipulates a set number of teams or structure as it relates to conference football championship games.
“The Big 12 is putting forward legislation that would give the conferences more freedom to determine whether they have a conference football championship game, and how you determine if you do have such a game, how you determine who plays in it,” Swofford said. “They’re asking that the number 12 be removed. That really doesn’t affect us, but we agreed that the conferences really should have the freedom to decide whether they want to have a conference championship game, regardless of the number of teams that they have.

Reaction Score
The most interesting is this (Swofford letting the Big 12 have a champ game at 10 teams means expansion may not be needed. My guess is that the Big Ten, SEC and PAC-12 will NOT support it):

Here were the highlights, according to Swofford:
  • The athletic directors voted to support the Big 12’s proposal to remove NCAA language in current legislation that stipulates a set number of teams or structure as it relates to conference football championship games.
“The Big 12 is putting forward legislation that would give the conferences more freedom to determine whether they have a conference football championship game, and how you determine if you do have such a game, how you determine who plays in it,” Swofford said. “They’re asking that the number 12 be removed. That really doesn’t affect us, but we agreed that the conferences really should have the freedom to decide whether they want to have a conference championship game, regardless of the number of teams that they have.
That's because Swofford wanted the same thing in 2004 before adding BC to get to 12 and was denied by the NCAA. My guess is that he is doing contingency planning for a less than 12 team conference down the road and needs/wants some flexibility. That and he wants to be on the side of moving more power and money to the conferences than to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Ottawa just announced that the University of Connecticut will be invited to join the Canadian Football League and begin play in September 2013. The UConn schedule will include the BC Lions, Saskatchewan Rough Riders, and Montreal Alouettes at home while they will visit the Edmonton Eskimos, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Calgary Stampeders, and Toronto Argonauts. The new television deal will provide the University with $40M per year. The final decision was made based on UConn's nickname, "the Huskies," which as a dog indigenous to the north country provided a perfect fit for the CFL. UConn has been installed as the favorite to win the Grey Cup.
...and in order to make us contiginous, due to conference bylaws, we are required to change our name to the Yukon Huskies!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn to announce formation of the Husky Entertainment Network, to provide coverage of UConn sports and entertainment/cultural events from Jorgenson, etc. Connecticut officials are optimistic about the new venture, though industry officials feel that the HEN may lay an egg.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
That's because Swofford wanted the same thing in 2004 before adding BC to get to 12 and was denied by the NCAA. My guess is that he is doing contingency planning for a less than 12 team conference down the road and needs/wants some flexibility. That and he wants to be on the side of moving more power and money to the conferences than to the NCAA.
Yes, that's true. But his primary reason to support it is the stave off a Big 12 raid on the ACC because if the Big 12 needs 2 more teams to have a title game, then there goes FSU and Clemson.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I see you John Swofford. I see right through you, I should say.

Reaction Score
I can see JB as he's a Big East lifer, but outside of some years at PC, Pitino's not really a Big East guy, and I can't really see him jetting out of spite because he doesn't want to coach in the ACC.
I heard from a Syracuse fan that they heard a rumor that Cuse is going to have a bunch of wins (he said 11 or 12) vacated from last year due to the Fab Melo thing. The announcement may have been delayed so Boeheim could still have more that 900 wins after the wins were vacated.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I have heard the same rumors regarding Boeheim. I have heard that it is overhaul before the s*** hits the fan because if they don't change the way they handle athletic academics the s*** will hit the fan. Boeheim is resistant to the change and has a choice between adapting or deciding to retire before it all comes crashing down. I heven't heard anything about Hopkins, though. My guess would be that if Hopkins thinks his hands will be tied he might as well look for greener pastures.

I would also say that the widening schism between athletics and academics will help speed a couple of outstanding situations towards some kind of resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom