We need a current UConn player to be a NBA star player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We need a current UConn player to be a NBA star player

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think the NBA is migrating towards seeing the value of inside play again. Embiid's likely MVP will be a move in that direction. The Cleveland Cavaliers are the 4th best team in the East leaning heavily on an inside game.

Brook Lopez or Al Horford are good models for what Sanogo could be at the next level. Sanogo has to speed up his 3 point shot release, but pro teams will work with him on that. The important thing is that he can hit that shot now. He is shorter than those two, but he has long arms so he should be able to defend.
Sanogo's 3 pt shooting is nowhere on the level of Horford or even Lopez. Sanogo cant hit the shot with someone near or in his face. Horford went into the league with midrange and 3 pt ready ability - AS has neither. Lopez is 7'1", AS is maybe 6'8" - huge difference
I am not saying that AS won't be a NBA player but it will take a very unique situation for a team to draft him. They don't draft for practice fodder anymore.
I see him making a lot of money overseas.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Hawk can be a star in the new style NBA, but I'd like to see him take another year to get stronger and work on his overall offensive game. He's amazing from three, but can improve in other aspects.
Hawk has to get stronger and work on his game in some areas. But it's easier to do that in the NBA than in college. He'll have elite coaching and S&C guys, nutrition experts, and no other job than just getting better.

The question with Bouk wasn't physical, it was mental. Some kids need college to get their heads right. He had to go, but it seems he wasn't really mentally prepared to be a professional at first. I don't think Hawkins has that problem.

I am convinced that Sanogo is more athletic and more skilled outside of his elite interior offense, than any of us know. He will work tirelessly and in the NBA can probably get a little lighter and quicker. He guarded Miami's outstanding wings and shuts them down. He was all over the place defensively in that game, blocking shots and closing down penetration and guarding 3's. He can definitely be a 4.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Haven’t seen this brought up yet, but I think DC is going to be really, really good in the NBA. Him and Castle both have the potential to be top 10 picks next year from a size and talent standpoint.

The kid was singlehandedly stopping fast breaks during the tournament at 7’2 and would run the floor just as well for our own. It’s not normal to see 7’2 guys move like that. If he shows a sliver of a three point shot next year to go along with his passing ability teams are going to be foaming at the mouth.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Hawk can be a star in the new style NBA, but I'd like to see him take another year to get stronger and work on his overall offensive game. He's amazing from three, but can improve in other aspects.
Agree, but if he is offered millions to make the jump now, it’s kind of tough to say no.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Haven’t seen this brought up yet, but I think DC is going to be really, really good in the NBA. Him and Castle both have the potential to be top 10 picks next year from a size and talent standpoint.

The kid was singlehandedly stopping fast breaks during the tournament at 7’2 and would run the floor just as well for our own. It’s not normal to see 7’2 guys move like that. If he shows a sliver of a three point shot next year to go along with his passing ability teams are going to be foaming at the mouth.

The dilemma for the NBA GM's and player personnel gurus is whether or not Clingan's ability to shut down the lane in college translates to the pros. Bigger, faster, better athletes coming at you. I sure as heck don't know the answer but that's the question for those types to figure out.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hawk has to get stronger and work on his game in some areas. But it's easier to do that in the NBA than in college. He'll have elite coaching and S&C guys, nutrition experts, and no other job than just getting better.

The question with Bouk wasn't physical, it was mental. Some kids need college to get their heads right. He had to go, but it seems he wasn't really mentally prepared to be a professional at first. I don't think Hawkins has that problem.

I am convinced that Sanogo is more athletic and more skilled outside of his elite interior offense, than any of us know. He will work tirelessly and in the NBA can probably get a little lighter and quicker. He guarded Miami's outstanding wings and shuts them down. He was all over the place defensively in that game, blocking shots and closing down penetration and guarding 3's. He can definitely be a 4.
When you look at the 4s around the NBA I just can’t see it. Even the bigger 4s are insanely skilled like the Mobleys, Kevin Loves, Jaren Jackson Jrs.

At the same time, if Wayne Gabriel can get solid bench minutes on the Lakers, Sanogo may be able to carve out a spot there. Hopefully he’s like Jeff Adrien the way he’ll be able to find himself a roster spot and role on a team for awhile.

Reaction Score
idk that it matters to the program. it's ultimately on the players to succeed in the pros.

all uconn can do is provide coaching and a good platform to showcase their skills to a wide audience

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The dilemma for the NBA GM's and player personnel gurus is whether or not Clingan's ability to shut down the lane in college translates to the pros. Bigger, faster, better athletes coming at you. I sure as heck don't know the answer but that's the question for those types to figure out.
I hear that. It’s kind of the same questions he had coming into college. Even when he gets there he’ll need some seasoning most likely.

At his BEST I think he has the tools to be a Jokic who can play much better defense.

At worst, probably a Zubac. May be very optimistic of me with the Jokic thing but idk, I feel like he has a lot of great tools for NBA teams to work with.

7’2 guys don’t usually move like he does, they don’t usually pass like he does, they don’t usually have the motor he does either. Lot of special traits about this kid.

Reaction Score
I disagree with this. Why do we need a huge star? The goal is to win National Championships and we just did that with zero all stars or rotational players.
Thats the one thing missing from the past decade. I guess Kemba & Drummond are the closest. I'm hoping Sanogo or Hawk can be elite at the next level, but I'm not sure. Hawk needs another year of development (physically and mentally) to be able to have an NBA impact, imo. I hope he doesnt turn into a Bouknight who wasnt ready.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Sanogo is interesting… I think he can play the 4 in the NBA. Really hope he gets drafted and is given a shot.

Trying not to repeat myself too many times on this board but I don’t see how he can’t mold himself into Grant Williams. He’s nearly there.

caw

Reaction Score
Trying not to repeat myself too many times on this board but I don’t see how he can’t mold himself into Grant Williams. He’s nearly there.

He is the easiest comparison but Grant Williams came into the league as smaller (probably - hard to tell with college measurements) and more mobile. Sanogo is a very interesting player who could carve out a place for himself if he continues to improve.
MJ is cashing out on his Charlotte investment. Going forward that shouldn't be an issue.
Still a nope. UConn has been burned too many times by that crap organization.

Reaction Score
Drummond turned into a punchline.
I’m not an NBA expert, nor a huge Drummond fan, but isn’t it fair to say that has as much to do with the NBA changing around him as it did him. Roy Tarpley was an outstanding NBA player in his day. I don’t know that he’d be a fit today for how NBA teams play and want 4s to do, and I always thought that was Drummonds closet comp.

Reaction Score
I’m not an NBA expert, nor a huge Drummond fan, but isn’t it fair to say that has as much to do with the NBA changing around him as it did him. Roy Tarpley was an outstanding NBA player in his day. I don’t know that he’d be a fit today for how NBA teams play and want 4s to do, and I always thought that was Drummonds closet comp.
Tarpley is a terrible example, he is about the most dissimilar player to Drummond that there is. He would've been absolutely incredible in today's NBA game with his shooting and all around guard skills in a 6'11 body if his head was screwed on right. One of the most talented players to ever pick up a basketball but is on the all-time wasted talent team with Derrick Coleman.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sanogo's 3 pt shooting is nowhere on the level of Horford or even Lopez. Sanogo cant hit the shot with someone near or in his face. Horford went into the league with midrange and 3 pt ready ability - AS has neither. Lopez is 7'1", AS is maybe 6'8" - huge difference
I am not saying that AS won't be a NBA player but it will take a very unique situation for a team to draft him. They don't draft for practice fodder anymore.
I see him making a lot of money overseas.

Yeah, but Horford played in an era where some NBA teams thought that having 10 guys on the roster who all played the same position was a good idea. That era appears to be ending. I think the NBA teams that actually understand statistics and concepts like conditional probability recognize that having inside and outside players results in a more efficient offense.

Reaction Score
the passing ability sanogo displayed in the tourney was huuuuuge for scouts to see. i was skeptical before that but i really think he should go second round now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Won't happen. Hawk and Jax will be role players. Sanogo will need to show more. His skills are off the charts, but those skills are not in high demand these days on the NBA. Maybe a team can build around post play and defense, or copy Hurley’s 4 out offense, but AS probably becomes foul prone withoutna better rim protection game against NBA guards.

Reaction Score
No. The NBA drafts on potential. A college junior or senior is damaged goods.

Furthermore, for recruiting, you want to show kids you can get them to the League in 2 years (or less).

Reaction Score
the passing ability sanogo displayed in the tourney was huuuuuge for scouts to see. i was skeptical before that but i really think he should go second round now.
Passing and also beating guys with a quick fake and move off the dribble from the 3 point line to the rim. Where has that been all year?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When you look at the 4s around the NBA I just can’t see it. Even the bigger 4s are insanely skilled like the Mobleys, Kevin Loves, Jaren Jackson Jrs.

At the same time, if Wayne Gabriel can get solid bench minutes on the Lakers, Sanogo may be able to carve out a spot there. Hopefully he’s like Jeff Adrien the way he’ll be able to find himself a roster spot and role on a team for awhile.
Bah. Sanogo has only been playing the game a few years. His skill is progressing at a staggering rate. He's more athletic than Kevin Love, and a better offensive player on the interior, and possibly a better defender than Love ever was. Can't shoot that well, not yet anyway. But Jason Kidd and Magic Johnson couldn't shoot either. I'm not suggesting he will be a star. But I think he can have a productive career. Exhibit A. Julius Randle - NBADraft.net

Reaction Score
Bah. Sanogo has only been playing the game a few years. His skill is progressing at a staggering rate. He's more athletic than Kevin Love, and a better offensive player on the interior, and possibly a better defender than Love ever was. Can't shoot that well, not yet anyway. But Jason Kidd and Magic Johnson couldn't shoot either. I'm not suggesting he will be a star. But I think he can have a productive career. Exhibit A. Julius Randle - NBADraft.net
You're not suggesting he'll be a star and then compared him to stars.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You're not suggesting he'll be a star and then compared him to stars.
Randle isn't a star. He's a solid player. One who had more holes in his game coming out of college than Sanogo does (also longer wingspan and probably a little better athleticism). The PF position features guys like Giannis, and arguably Lebron, Tatum and Davis.

I don't know if he will succeed or not. Lots of 1st round picks fail and undrafted guys make it. I think he has the focus that a lot of those 1st round picks lack.

Reaction Score
Randle isn't a star. He's a solid player. One who had more holes in his game coming out of college than Sanogo does (also longer wingspan and probably a little better athleticism). The PF position features guys like Giannis, and arguably Lebron, Tatum and Davis.

I don't know if he will succeed or not. Lots of 1st round picks fail and undrafted guys make it. I think he has the focus that a lot of those 1st round picks lack.
Randle is an all-NBA player. He's been a star since he was a sophomore in high school, he was the #2 recruit in the country and the #7 pick after his freshman season. Same for Kevin Love.

I love Adama and want him to make the NBA badly but those guys are just a different level of prospect than Adama is.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Randle is an all-NBA player. He's been a star since he was a sophomore in high school, he was the #2 recruit in the country and the #7 pick after his freshman season. Same for Kevin Love.

I love Adama and want him to make the NBA badly but those guys are just a different level of prospect than Adama is.
I saw someone say Paul Milsap as a comparison for Adama before. I can see that as a best case scenario.

Reaction Score
Thats the one thing missing from the past decade. I guess Kemba & Drummond are the closest. I'm hoping Sanogo or Hawk can be elite at the next level, but I'm not sure. Hawk needs another year of development (physically and mentally) to be able to have an NBA impact, imo. I hope he doesnt turn into a Bouknight who wasnt ready.
I think Hawk is WAYYY more humble than Book (just imo) and i think he can grow in the NBA and develop due to the fact that he has elite leaping and shooting ability. He has athleticism almost on par with AJ. As much as I'd like toes him stay, he's gone and we should happy for him. He has a shot at being the best Uconn player to don a NBA jersey one day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom