We Lead The Conference In Fouling | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We Lead The Conference In Fouling

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Marquette is the mystery to me. They start harassing the ball handler 3/4 court every possession. Usually there is more contact with Marquette even before the ball enters the front court and look where they are on the list. This is quite revealing.
Big East lets that bumping and grabbing go. Seton Hall plays that way too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, this year:

In BE play: We are called for 1.5 more fouls per game than our opponents.
In OOC play: We are called for 1.7 fewer fouls per game than our opponents.
Net differential: 3.2 fouls less favorable in BE play

Last year:

In BE play: we were called for the same number of fouls as our opponents.
In OOC play: we were called for 2.3 more fouls per game than our opponents.
Net differential: 2.3 fouls more favorable in BE play

I'm surprised by last year's numbers, where it felt like we routinely got a horrible whistle in conference but I don't remember much consternation in the OOC.

But this year we are absolutely getting a much worse whistle in conference than OOC.
I am much less concerned with the fouls call on UConn that the fouls our opponents are called for. Our BE opponents getting away with turning the game into a brawl is a problem for us.

Reaction Score
I am much less concerned with the fouls call on UConn that the fouls our opponents are called for. Our BE opponents getting away with turning the game into a brawl is a problem for us.

It makes for some unpleasant nights in conference but when the tournament rolls around that's pretty much in the rear view mirror. It's also why I suspect some BE teams' styles might not travel well in March.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Aggressive play wins, weak/passive play doesn't.

Now show me every conference - one column for total fouls, the other for total wins.

If ya win, smile and be proud. Lose? Suck it up and move on. Complaining about refs is embarrassingly weak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shouldn’t we be pressing less if some of these guys are getting beat off the dribble so easily? We don’t really get turnovers from playing them so tight

We don't pressure for TOs. We pressure to limit 3pt attempts. The idea is that we have Johnson/Clingan--both great shotblockers-- to mitigate the risk of a blow-by if we pressure too much.

At times teams get to the rim at-will vs us because we pressure non-shooters when our bigs aren't stopping shots at the rim. SJU last year, SHU this year comes to mind.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
# of fouls is only part of the equation - since we can't know how many weren't called.

What feels off to me is the type of fouls called against the sides - in game it feels like UConn gets called for soft fouls a lot and their opponents don't get called for body blows. I mean in the last game some dude jumped up, landed on Castle, and no whistle. Castle was standing there like "are you kidding me?!".

Reaction Score
We don't pressure for TOs. We pressure to limit 3pt attempts. The idea is that we have Johnson/Clingan--both great shotblockers-- to mitigate the risk of a blow-by if we pressure too much.

At times teams get to the rim at-will vs us because we pressure non-shooters when our bigs aren't stopping shots at the rim. SJU last year, SHU this year comes to mind.
1704836531572.png

I guess we are doing good at stopping three point attempts but they are hitting them at a decent clip. I was surprised our two point defense is so good maybe it’s just a couple games we get burnt bad.

Reaction Score
View attachment 94924

I guess we are doing good at stopping three point attempts but they are hitting them at a decent clip. I was surprised our two point defense is so good maybe it’s just a couple games we get burnt bad.

Not sure you're reading that correctly. From what I'm seeing our opponents both take few attempts from deep (#17) and don't hit very many (#262).

Reaction Score
Not sure you're reading that correctly. From what I'm seeing our opponents both take few attempts from deep (#17) and don't hit very many (#262).
Houston is #4 at 26.4% so it looks like our 3pt percentage allowed isn’t that great

Reaction Score
262 is our rank so it’s bad nationally I think. He’s still not making any sort of good point.

Reaction Score
We are slow at the 1, 2 and 4 with a foul-happy 5. I'm not terribly surprised.

BE refs also suck.
Agree. Not to pick on anyone but nearly every single time AK is guarding anyone who decides to score on him its a score or a foul.

pj

Reaction Score
262 is our rank so it’s bad nationally I think. He’s still not making any sort of good point.

Yes. Letting our opponents shoot 34.9% from 3 puts us in the bottom third nationally. That's 1.05 points per shot, probably 1.2 points per possession. Very poor.

I doubt we'll still be there at the end of the season. Getting Castle back, Clingan back, and playing Diarra more will help.

Reaction Score
We were talking about 3 point defense and I looked up the numbers. I was surprised by that and the 2 point percentage. Our defense was 14th in 3 point percentage last year about 5% below what we’re at now. I thought our 2 point percentage would be a lot worse with our dribble penetration issues and Clingan being out.

Reaction Score
Yes. Letting our opponents shoot 34.9% from 3 puts us in the bottom third nationally. That's 1.05 points per shot, probably 1.2 points per possession. Very poor.

I doubt we'll still be there at the end of the season. Getting Castle back, Clingan back, and playing Diarra more will help.
These things usually balance out by the end of the season, but it's definitely not a great number right now.

One thing i've noticed is that a couple schools shot way over their head from 3 against us this season:
Ark PB- 40%
Seton Hall- 37.5%
New Hampshire- 48.1%
Manhattan- 44.4%
Kansas- 64.3%
Butler- 47.1%

This is like 40% of the games we've played. I watched all these games (as im sure you all did), and i seem to remember thinking that teams were just incredibly lucky to be hitting these shots that they never make against anyone else. It's not like we're leaving shooters open all over the floor. Kansas averages 36.9% on the season, and nearly DOUBLED that against us !

Or maybe i'm just biased, and i assume every time someone hits a shot against us they must be lucky.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I just wanna say if we defended like Houston, our entire team would foul out by the second half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom