"We have to get bigger, tougher, stronger, nastier upfront on both sides of the ball" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"We have to get bigger, tougher, stronger, nastier upfront on both sides of the ball"

Reaction Score
Well...

First, Kevin Mensah is 200 pounds and Nate Hopkins is 210, so the idea that we are trying to accomplish this with backs that are in a 150 - 175 range just isn't true. Hell, even Arkeel is 180.
Second, Andre Dixon finished his UConn career at 200 pounds. Donald Brown finished his UConn career at 210. Jordan Todman finished at 193.

Again, the size of our backs is not really the issue here. It's not like we are talking about McCombs going up the middle anymore. Yes, you can have one of those barrel-shaped fullbacks come in at 260 and just whack the pile to move it forward the requisite 2 yards and get the job done that way, the way that WVU used to do to us with that Owen Schmitt kid back in 2006 or 2007. But our issue is just creating meaningful gaps for our running backs to hit and make the linebackers tackle them after 2 or 3 yards gained...

I think it is a little more complex. During Edsall 1.0, we had 240 lb fullbacks that helped with blocking. In the Lashlee offense, the spread is supposed to help open the holes for the RBs. Our offense seems to work until we get into a short field situation. Then, the spread doesn't open up as much space and when we run, the RBs don't have big holes and they don't have the size or strength to break tackles. Clearly, the OL needs to bet stronger, but the RBs need to be stronger and faster.

Reaction Score
Just curious...How did UCF make such an amazing jump from 2015, when they lost 40-13 to Uconn and were 0-12 including a loss to FIU to where they are now, at 10-0, just two years later, with a shot at at least a major bowl game. USF has had quite the rise but it is more gradual. Any way , maybe what UCF has done in two years sets a blue print for Uconn? Not sure, I know way more about bball. Can Uconn get to 10 wins in 2 years if RE stays?

Reaction Score
Just curious...How did UCF make such an amazing jump from 2015, when they lost 40-13 to Uconn and were 0-12 including a loss to FIU to where they are now, at 10-0, just two years later, with a shot at at least a major bowl game. USF has had quite the rise but it is more gradual. Any way , maybe what UCF has done in two years sets a blue print for Uconn? Not sure, I know way more about bball. Can Uconn get to 10 wins in 2 years if RE stays?
Personally I think we should just cheat our asses off until we get caught. If we get sanctioned really bad and we're not in a power conference by then, just fold the program or drop to FCS.

Reaction Score
Maybe someone with better connections can talk about recent history, but when I went through the training facility with Sio, he was most proud about being on top of the workout board and talked about his "platform" - saying that nobody could come workout on his platform unless they were "real" enough to handle it. Guys like that have a mindset that is infectious. Need more leadership.

Or remember the story about Tyler Lorenzen, from before he had even started a game? Preseason practice and the D was dogging it, so Edsall gave the offense a break and made the entire defensive squad start doing up-downs. Tyler didn't say a word but started doing them instead of watching, and within a few seconds the entire offense joined him. Coincidence we won our first share of a conference championship that year?

You need to recruit leaders, but you also need to put them in a program where leadership is desired and respected and nurtured. Heck -- a law firm isn't any different.

Reaction Score

The only way you have a rise like that is if you never had an 0-12 roster, but had a 6-6 or 7-5 roster that just didn't give a crap.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

it all has to do with the ability to recruit, Florida is flush with talent, you take darien down to Florida and have them play a full season and they'll maybe win 2 games. level of competition here is just different thus the ability to recruit a higher level of talent on a more consistent basis is much more difficult here than say at UCF/FIU

Reaction Score
I think it is a little more complex. During Edsall 1.0, we had 240 lb fullbacks that helped with blocking. In the Lashlee offense, the spread is supposed to help open the holes for the RBs. Our offense seems to work until we get into a short field situation. Then, the spread doesn't open up as much space and when we run, the RBs don't have big holes and they don't have the size or strength to break tackles. Clearly, the OL needs to bet stronger, but the RBs need to be stronger and faster.

The whole team needs to be stronger and faster. You can mask talent more easily between the 20s where the defense has to protect a lot of space. As the field shortens, good schemes and play calling isn't enough -- someone has to either knock someone over or outrun them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I can't speaks for the Diaco years but during the P years the players were basically on their own in terms of conditioning/lifting and I seriously doubt any additional encouragement or praise was offered to those who took it upon themselves to put the work in.

Reaction Score
One thing that has stuck we me most of the season (and kept running through my mind Saturday) was that Fatukasi would be an ideal end in this defense but with him at most tackle we are too small at all three positions.

We will need our ends to be guys RE always played at tackle during his first run here and we will need RE to find true nose tackles (315 lbs - 325 lbs), a body type he seldom wentafter in the past.
He already has one coming in the late spring, Travis Jones. 6'5"- 350lbs. Originally recruited as an OL, I think he's our nose tackle next year.

Reaction Score
He already has one coming in the late spring, Travis Jones. 6'5"- 350lbs. Originally recruited as an OL, I think he's our nose tackle next year.
Once he drops 20-30lbs he's going to be a complete monster. He's already unbelievably fast for his size. It will be interesting to see if they keep him on offense or transition him to defense

Reaction Score
Once he drops 20-30lbs he's going to be a complete monster. He's already unbelievably fast for his size. It will be interesting to see if they keep him on offense or transition him to defense
He's already faster at 350 than Foley ever was at nose tackle. Foley is too slow to play defense end, which I saw suggested in another post.

Reaction Score
He's already faster at 350 than Foley ever was at nose tackle. Foley is too slow to play defense end, which I saw suggested in another post.

Foley is absolutely not too slow to play defensive end is a 3 down lineman alignment.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score

i think he will be well suited to play nose for us, hes a real gap filler, can take on double teams (which will be huge in our 3-5) and still has the athletic ability to shed blockers and make the play. kids gonna thrive in this system

Reaction Score
it all has to do with the ability to recruit, Florida is flush with talent, you take Darien down to Florida and have them play a full season and they'll maybe win 2 games. level of competition here is just different thus the ability to recruit a higher level of talent on a more consistent basis is much more difficult here than say at UCF/FIU
Maybe this year's Darien, yes, but the team with Evanchik and Steuber would have done very well even in Florida. That was one of the strongest teams in Connecticut in many years. That was the year Jasen Rose committed to UCONN with Southington ranked #1 in the state until Darien blew them out something like 49-0 in the playoffs. If I recall, the score was 30 something to nothing at the half with Rose running for his life all game, and Southington was really a very good team as CT teams normally stack up. That Darien team that year, would have done very very well in Florida.

Reaction Score
Maybe this year's Darien, yes, but the team with Evanchik and Steuber would have done very well even in Florida. That was one of the strongest teams in Connecticut in many years. That was the year Jasen Rose committed to UCONN with Southington ranked #1 in the state until Darien blew them out something like 49-0 in the playoffs. If I recall, the score was 30 something to nothing at the half with Rose running for his life all game, and Southington was really a very good team as CT teams normally stack up. That Darien team that year, would have done very very well in Florida.
That was the best team I've ever seen in Connecticut. 2010 Masuk is probably the 2nd best

Reaction Score
Foley is absolutely not too slow to play defensive end is a 3 down lineman alignment.
Yes, in a 4-3 he might be ok, but in a classic 3-4, I think he's too slow. Even at nose tackle against USF, Foley got good pressure but was always a half step away from Flowers when Flowers pulled the trigger or just side stepped Foley and ran with the ball towards the corners for a nice gain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fuller: Focus turns to the future for rebuilding UConn football team

>>With eight true freshmen played this season, 14 of those on scholarship did not, including quarterbacks Jordan McAfee and Marvin Washington, defensive lineman Caleb Thomas, offensive linemen Robert Holmes, Stanley Hubbard and James Tunstall and tight end Ryan Fitton.<<

>>More help will be on the way with 19 known commitments and a few more expected.

Ten UConn commits led their team to the state playoffs and it could be 11 if Kevon Jones’ East Hartford team beats Manchester on Wednesday night.

Edsall has talked about getting bigger, stronger and faster and it should be noted that the Huskies have nine commitments from July 27 and six of them (including Wilbur Cross High School’s Travis Jones) are projected to play on either the offensive or defensive line at UConn.<<

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score

ok ill use that as a perfect example, that was the best team we may have had ever in the state. how many of them went on to play at top 25 colleges? or even D1 schools for that matter. we up here truly don't understand the level of competition down in FLA. you throw a rock in any direction in florida you'll hit a 3 star kid going to a D1 college. thats just facts.
just a quick search on rivals/ 247 sports there is just about 300 players ranked 3 stars or more in the state of florida compared to the maybe 4-5 in the state of CT, if you wanna include all players with star ratings that number jumps to 550 FL and 20 for CT. I love the state of CT and CTHSFB is near and dear to my heart but they truly are apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
Under Edsall we played in the International Bowl in Toronto a number of years back against a very good Buffalo team that won the MAC champion that season.

Early in the game a Buffalo kid went in motion and at the snap continued to run parallel to the LOS. Reggie McClain knocked him out of the game...literally. Kid woke up and was all pissed and Reggie just shrugged his shoulders as if to say what the hell did you expect.

By the second half Donald Brown was on his way to run for over 250 yards and Buffalo could not keep defenders on the field. They were substituting constantly because our OL were on them at all levels blowing people up.

It was complete and total physical domination.

I remember watching the Buffalo game in a bar in NYC thinking that it was the single most physically dominant game I had watched at the college level. Our RB weren't even getting touched for 8 yards. I think we threw it like 4 times?

Those OLines with Moe Petrus, Hurd, Beatty were the absolute strength of the team. Need to get back to that for sure.

As a Giant/UConn fan, the last 5 years have been an absurdity as a fan. Probably the two worst Offensive Lines I've ever seen in football. It craters everything else a team looks to accomplish. 2nd & 9 instead of 2nd & 4 is a complete gamechanger on every level.

Reaction Score
ok ill use that as a perfect example, that was the best team we may have had ever in the state. how many of them went on to play at top 25 colleges? or even D1 schools for that matter. we up here truly don't understand the level of competition down in FLA. you throw a rock in any direction in florida you'll hit a 3 star kid going to a D1 college. thats just facts.
just a quick search on rivals/ 247 sports there is just about 300 players ranked 3 stars or more in the state of florida compared to the maybe 4-5 in the state of CT, if you wanna include all players with star ratings that number jumps to 550 FL and 20 for CT. I love the state of CT and CTHSFB is near and dear to my heart but they truly are apples and oranges.

Yes and no. Clearly, there is more talent per capita in Florida, but because of the high density of talent, there are more rating resources devoted to Florida so more kids are rated. In the Northeast, kids get overlooked as the rating services don't spend much time evaluating and rating kids. You can see where the rating service scouts are based and what territories they cover.

Look at a kid like Tyler Coyle out of Windsor. He was rated 2* as a 6'1" 195 DB. But, he was recorded at 10.78 100 meters and 6'10" high jump which is elite. No way he is a 2* in Florida, but it happens in Connecticut. Same with Byron Jones from Bristol. Rated 2*, but a freak athlete. He would not have been overlooked in Florida.

Reaction Score
No, it wasn't the best team we ever had in the state, but like I said it was the best team in many years. Only thing you are doing is way way understating Connecticut talent. We got destroyed by BC the other day and were clearly outclassed by their player personnel. Their best offensive player, AJ Dillon, born and raised in New London CT. Their best defensive player, Zach Allen, born and raised in New Canaan CT.
As to the best CT team ever, they sent six of their players to division 1 colleges, and many others to D2 schools. One stared at Maryland, another distinguished himself at Harvard, and another to Yale, while two others from that team went to Notre Dame, with one of the two making first team AA two years in a row and was instrumental in winning a national championship for ND. Alot of CT kids, and by that I mean top notch division 1 talent don't go on to play college football, by choice. They have different priorities, that the kids in Florida have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The offense also starts to go conservative inside the red zone. It is easier to predict UConn's play calling once the field shortens, especially on first down. Hasn't changed in forever.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yes and no. Clearly, there is more talent per capita in Florida, but because of the high density of talent, there are more rating resources devoted to Florida so more kids are rated. In the Northeast, kids get overlooked as the rating services don't spend much time evaluating and rating kids. You can see where the rating service scouts are based and what territories they cover.

Look at a kid like Tyler Coyle out of Windsor. He was rated 2* as a 6'1" 195 DB. But, he was recorded at 10.78 100 meters and 6'10" high jump which is elite. No way he is a 2* in Florida, but it happens in Connecticut. Same with Byron Jones from Bristol. Rated 2*, but a freak athlete. He would not have been overlooked in Florida.

Hmmm, well Devon Matthews is a two star by Rivals and when compare his tape to Coyle’s there is no comparison - Matthews is much more physical. Of course there are over looked players here, but by and large, there is less talent and i’m not really buying there is a lot of over looked talent... some - but not that much...maybe 2 to 5 kids a year in all of New England. It’s not like we really see a bunch of NE kids routinely surprise rosters here or anyone else.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No, it wasn't the best team we ever had in the state, but like I said it was the best team in many years. Only thing you are doing is way way understating Connecticut talent. We got destroyed by BC the other day and were clearly outclassed by their player personnel. Their best offensive player, AJ Dillon, born and raised in New London CT. Their best defensive player, Zach Allen, born and raised in New Canaan CT.
As to the best CT team ever, they sent six of their players to division 1 colleges, and many others to D2 schools. One stared at Maryland, another distinguished himself at Harvard, and another to Yale, while two others from that team went to Notre Dame, with one of the two making first team AA two years in a row and was instrumental in winning a national championship for ND. Alot of CT kids, and by that I mean top notch division 1 talent don't go on to play college football, by choice. They have different priorities, that the kids in Florida have.
You are not getting the Zach Allen’s and AJ Dillons anytime soon, hence the need to find the overlooked equivalents in FL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom