We have a right to know | The Boneyard

We have a right to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
what exactly our leadership was doing during the most pivotal week in uconn history. The more I read the more it seems we fell asleep at the wheel. This is inexcusable. Jurich himself said we were penned in for the ACC. Since 2002 Louiville and Uconn football have identical sagarin ratings. As a Uconn Alum IM am outraged right now. I demand answers.

Reaction Score
Agreed, all of us here have invested too much time, money and energy into this program for these people to fail us like this. Those weak ass statements they put out there don't suffice at all.

Reaction Score
After playing the public game last year — Gov. Dannel P. Malloy even got into the act — UConn didn't want to be portrayed as groveling again. Different UConn sources insisted Herbst and Manuel "worked their humps off," and any suggestion otherwise is "absolute bull." They called presidents, ADs, industry powers, politicians. How much so? When Miami President Donna Shalala didn't return calls, there supposedly was even last-minute talk of getting her former boss Bill Clinton (a Jim Calhoun admirer) to facilitate a call.

Reaction Score
Sounds like they were home playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Maybe Halo 4. Either way. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
After playing the public game last year — Gov. Dannel P. Malloy even got into the act — UConn didn't want to be portrayed as groveling again. Different UConn sources insisted Herbst and Manuel "worked their humps off," and any suggestion otherwise is "absolute bull." They called presidents, ADs, industry powers, politicians. How much so? When Miami President Donna Shalala didn't return calls, there supposedly was even last-minute talk of getting her former boss Bill Clinton (a Jim Calhoun admirer) to facilitate a call.
So then Warde and Susan did everything except the most important thing...winning!

Reaction Score
Bill Clinton and Donna Shalalalalala in same sentence gives me the creeps...

image.jpg

Reaction Score
I saw Warde watching the womens team win by 50 so u cant tell me he was making calls the whole time. If I was AD I would have been on a plane making the rounds face to face in ACC country . It was no time to be in the Virgin Islands

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Read Jeff Jacob's article.

The effort was there.
That wasn't my take away from the article. Some sources said they worked their butts off, and the one example given was that they considered getting Clinton involved at the last minute when Shalala wouldn't return their calls. Jacobs also cited Jurich as one of the three factors, meaning that he outworked Manuel. Jacobs's other two factors were also things that UConn controlled or at least influenced with insufficient effort: (1) The perception--not the reality--of our football program; and (2) the awareness that we have no other options. The first indicates a poor sales job; the latter indicates a poor negotiating strategy. Louisville did a better sales job with a worse product, and it bluffed its leverage. Game, set, match.

Reaction Score
That wasn't my take away from the article. Some sources said they worked their butts off, and the one example given was that they considered getting Clinton involved at the last minute when Shalala wouldn't return their calls. Jacobs also cited Jurich as one of the three factors, meaning that he outworked Manuel. Jacobs's other two factors were also things that UConn controlled or at least influenced with insufficient effort: (1) The perception--not the reality--of our football program; and (2) the awareness that we have no other options. The first indicates a poor sales job; the latter indicates a poor negotiating strategy. Louisville did a better sales job with a worse product, and it bluffed its leverage. Game, set, match.
Please. Louisville's new facilities for football and basketball are miles ahead of ours. And they fill them with fans. It was never a done deal.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Maybe it's not Herbst's and Manuel's fault, but I sure as don't feel like defending them right now. This debacle happened on their watch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Please. Louisville's new facilities for football and basketball are miles ahead of ours. And they fill them with fans. It was never a done deal.
I know it wasn't a done deal. The mistake Herbst and Manuel made is that they thought it was, so they stopped selling. That's why they are trying to explain it away now as not wanting to appear to be groveling. They misread it.

Reaction Score

Not sure it was a "worse" product...

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2438/rich-louisville-going-to-get-richer-in-acc

Reaction Score
I think they misread it, but it looks like it would not have mattered anyways.

So basically they played the fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22