We Have a Problem at Point Guard | The Boneyard

We Have a Problem at Point Guard

Reaction Score
Not to rain on the parade, but a huge takeaway from this game is we have a problem at PG.

It looked like Hurley wanted to get Gaffney some minutes and confidence in the second half but just couldn’t trust him down the stretch.

Carton is a stud and had a beautiful step back jumper and could finish at the rim. I hope we can get something like that out of either gaffney or Cole.

Reaction Score
I thought gaffney really showed his potential in short stretches tonight but then he ends up having a bad turnover. I hope we can get more of that good gaffney more consistently. Cole has me concerned too. He’s a guy you can trust to not turn it over much but he’s having a hard time scoring and setting up guys in good spots to score.

Reaction Score
It's the biggest weakness on the team. Hopefully diggins can come in and be a facilitator right off the bat.

Reaction Score
Gaffney needs to be more aggressive (broken record) but I really liked his take and drawn foul in the second half. That was a pressured play and he could have deferred. The turnover wasn’t pretty, but the thought/vision was good.

Cole needs a game where he just goes off. He’s taking some funky shots and seems to be overthinking it. Hopefully hitting those FTs can be a positive way for him to go out tonight.

Reaction Score
Gaffney showed it should be his job. Does he make his mistakes? Yes. I think he holds onto the ball too long, tries to squeeze passes in when he should be going up himself, but tonight he showed much more than Cole- even if it didn’t show up in the box score. We need Gaff to be the guy.

Reaction Score
Gaffney needs to be more aggressive (broken record) but I really liked his take and drawn foul in the second half. That was a pressured play and he could have deferred. The turnover wasn’t pretty, but the thought/vision was good.

Cole needs a game where he just goes off. He’s taking some funky shots and seems to be overthinking it. Hopefully hitting those FTs can be a positive way for him to go out tonight.
Completely agree on Cole. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel really good for the guy when he sank those late FT

Reaction Score
Gaffney showed it should be his job. Does he make his mistakes? Yes. I think he holds onto the ball too long, tries to squeeze passes in when he should be going up himself, but tonight he showed much more than Cole- even if it didn’t show up in the box score. We need Gaff to be the guy.
I have no idea what you’re watching.

Reaction Score
I think cole tries really hard on defense but he really can’t go to his right at all.. would like to see gaff be a lil more aggressive.. he got into the lane and instead of goin wit a floater he tried a bounce pass in traffic on one possession.. I wanna see him shoot more

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's our weakness, no way around it until one of them steps up. Andre might've been the solution in a normal season.

Reaction Score
I did expect more from this position but I really think they’re getting close to being very effective. Coles shot was obviously off tonight and he needs to learn how to be effective when he can’t put it in the net himself. I think Gaffney is a great backup until he becomes more of an offensive threat.

Reaction Score
Agree. The PG is a big weakness. Obviously Cole and Gaff are who we have. No one is gunna rescue us. At this point it seems like we need to focus on what they can do.

The Good:
Cole consistently plays solid D. Seems like most agree with this. Even tonight. The dude he was guarding looked like a Giant with Cole on him. That match up isn't going to work in our favor if a big guard like that gets some isolation with Cole on him. Cole can also hit an open three. Not tonight, but he's shown the ability.

On one or two occasions Gaff showed some intensity. Drove with purpose. I also think Gaff is a bit more of an actual PG. Cole seems like a scorer who can't really score at this level. This seems like a start. I'm optimistic. Our backup pg will turn it around. Provide useful minutes. Gotta have faith.

For both I really just want them to start leading a more effective break. Our fastbreak is still pretty lousy. Seems like we consistently end up with Cole or Gaff on the wing during the break. Not sure why. I still think this is just a coaching and lack of gametime thing. Hoping it will get better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom